CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

33 minutes ago, VinnyMendoza said:

I'm surprised no one is really talking about how OP the AR looked. Very concerning. If it's in competitive then that's a problem. That thing was shredding, the guy in the second piece of footage who was actually good at the game basically didn't use the Sidekick at all. He just sprayed the AR from range to get a lot of assists. 

I also hated how clamber looked... It just feels wrong. Dude was using it so frequently and it really breaks up the rhythm of the game. 

That being said there were a lot of positives, gameplay looked snappy. Them turning off hitmarkers in competitive gives me a lot of confidence that they finally understand competitive NEEDS different settings. When they reveal the settings then we can properly critique the game. 

I will only dislike clamber if spring jumping isn't in the game. 

H5 you could circumvent almost any clamber with really good use of spring jumps/crouch jumps. (This never applied to the alien architecture like on Midship... Stupid invisible clamber ledges)

What bothers me more is a feature I saw called " Auto step jump" which is (as far as my understanding goes) a way to hit a perfect height jump for smaller ledges (no vertical overshoot). If it ends up being too efficient, turning it off would be a downside and make moving across the map in particular areas slower for players that want full control. That worries me unless the input is not stupid (like a 1 frame jump tap).

Also, unrelated but, thrust is an equipment. :)

• Like (+1) 1

Hoping competitive settings are: 

- either no-spread commando starts or 5sk no-bloom sidekick starts

- no sprint 

- no clamber

- no equipment

- no grenade hitmarkers 

- no radar

• Like (+1) 8

2 minutes ago, Devaneaux said:

H5 you could circumvent almost any clamber with really good use of spring jumps

Not that I’m completely opposed to sneaky spring jump routes but we really shouldn’t be requiring players to ‘charge up’ a high-jump for the vast majority of travel options.  

4 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Not that I’m completely opposed to sneaky spring jump routes but we really shouldn’t be requiring players to ‘charge up’ a high-jump for the vast majority of travel options.  

The charge is really just the bunny hop before the spring jump. It's pretty straight forward to do and when someone gets quick with it, you do save time on the route. 

I personally like rewarding players with faster actions via small skill tests like that. Reminds me of the Gears reload timing stuff. After enough time it becomes second nature and it provides a tangible thing to practice and improve on. 

But yes, this is all contingent on not all jumps requiring clamber inherently. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Do you think the Skewer was an earlier concept for the Grapple?  It just seems odd to me that you have a piece of equipment that shoots a giant spike and a weapon that shoots a giant spike.  Something like that would bother me if it was my design.  

17 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

- no sprint 

- no equipment

- no grenade hitmarkers 

- no radar

So you'd strip out the Halo: Infinite bits from Halo: Infinite?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TI Inspire said:

So you'd strip out the Halo: Infinite bits from Halo: Infinite?

Just the bad bits

• Like (+1) 1

Heatwave looks like you choose between wide volleys and long shots.  Seems like a good implementation of an alien shotgun with significant enough differences to reward players who use each firemode correctly.  

Do you have to load the Skewer the first time you pick it up?  Not sure if that promotes being first to a weapon pick-up.  

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Boyo said:

The alternative is fairly difficult though.  A developer would need to come up with alternative mechanics and learn how to design maps that make those unique mechanics pop.  Sticking to a sprint-ads gameplay model allows map designers from other games to easily transfer their existing skills over to Halo.  

I was thinking about this. Maybe they could change the process of creating a map.

If I understood correctly, the process here is creating a map first, then letting the art team to have a go.

Maybe, if the two teams were working more closely together from the start, like artists more actively contributing in the process of creating objects, layouts and such, the results could be better? 

I mean don't tell me, all the maps nowdays have to look like build from Lego blocks and there is no way around it. I know clamber is there to be used, but not every jump and not every place on map has to make use of it. Not every climbable object needs to have the shape of a box.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, VinnyMendoza said:

I'm surprised no one is really talking about how OP the AR looked. Very concerning. If it's in competitive then that's a problem. That thing was shredding, the guy in the second piece of footage who was actually good at the game basically didn't use the Sidekick at all. He just sprayed the AR from range to get a lot of assists. 

If it is shredding then I can’t see the concern. If it is spraying rounds with little damage then it would make no sense.

i never understood why the AR wasn’t performing like the H4 SAW.

probably an unpopular opinion nowadays but I just want BR starts again in competitive like in H2/H3

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Just the bad bits

I have no problem with doing things like turning off radar and grenade hit markers, but in general, modification of the settings to suit competitive play should be kept to a minimum for at least a few months after launch. Competitive settings also need to be remain relatively comparable to normal settings. Otherwise, you're not really playing competitive Halo: Infinite, but rather, an approximation of a classic Halo game in Halo: Infinite.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Tyco said:

@Reamis25 So the Sniper Rifle is useless and no one goes for it because aware players can descope you take your AA. Good logic. Keep contradicting yourself, it's hilarious.

That doesn’t contradict me at all who are the idiots agreeing with you? There’s a thousand scenarios in every halo of kids sniping a fool successfully when aware and even shooting on competent players

37 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Weapons should work the same in comp and casual

- no sprint 

Won't happen

- no clamber

See above

- no equipment

Good luck, this will be a fight I'm sure

- no grenade hitmarkers 

Already confirmed out

- no radar

Looks like H5 HCS radar is standard

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Hooked 2

1 minute ago, OG Nick said:

Weapons don't need to work the same in comp and casual at all.

No sprint, ya probably wont happen but no hit markers suggests it could be possible.

Clamber unfortunately isn't going anywhere.

Equipment if in, won't last long.

Radar should eventually go. It has been and always will be dog shit.

The side kick just needs to be buffed to be no bloom with a slowrrr ROF. The commando should have no spread.

8 minutes ago, Hemlax said:

I mean don't tell me, all the maps nowdays have to look like build from Lego blocks and there is no way around it. I know clamber is there to be used, but not every jump and not every place on map has to make use of it. Not every climbable object needs to have the shape of a box.

That one map looked forged.

44 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

- no sprint 

- no clamber

- no equipment

- no grenade hitmarkers 

- no radar

‘No’ is more than 25% of the words in this post.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

That one map looked forged.

Yeah what I am afraid of, it wasn't.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TheFloyd said:

Weapons don't need to work the same in comp and casual at all.

The default game experience should only be trimmed down slightly for comp. The less mechanical divide between comp and casual the better

No sprint, ya probably wont happen but no hit markers suggests it could be possible.

Clamber unfortunately isn't going anywhere.

Equipment if in, won't last long.

Radar should eventually go. It has been and always will be dog shit.

12 minutes ago, TI Inspire said:

Otherwise, you're not really playing competitive Halo: Infinite, but rather, an approximation of a classic Halo game in Halo: Infinite.

I would celebrate playing an approximation of classic halo within Halo infinite in the same way that I celebrated MLG's H3 settings using different movement & damage settings, removing equipment & radar, ditching AR starts, etc... 

14 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

I would celebrate playing an approximation of classic halo within Halo infinite in the same way that I celebrated MLG's H3 settings using different movement & damage settings, removing equipment & radar, ditching AR starts, etc... 

IMO, a properly designed Halo sandbox would have items sprinkled through each category that would be viable in comp play.  Even if every piece of equipment was causal garbage, I would make sure one was competitively viable so that comp Halo could move forward instead always being the playlist of ‘no’.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Devaneaux said:

I will only dislike clamber if spring jumping isn't in the game. 

If they keep spring jumping it should be an actual feature in the game that is easier to use. I get why people do, but I am not a fan of the super nerdy unintended mechanics that can be a pain to pull off consistently. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

5 minutes ago, NAK said:

If they keep spring jumping it should be an actual feature in the game that is easier to use. I get why people do, but I am not a fan of the super nerdy unintended mechanics that can be a pain to pull off consistently. 

Hover jump same thing. Spamming buttons to clamber on objects you would not normally reach. You won't pull those regularly if the game isn't your job literally.

But hover is gone if I am not mistaken, so one gimmick less...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1