CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, AlphaBenson said:

Honestly at this point, we need more silly weapons. In this landscape where CoD and Battlefield and Fortnite reign supreme, Halo needs stuff thats a bit more interesting than just clicking on heads.

And all this time I thought we needed less weapons in the sandbox...

8 minutes ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

And all this time I thought we needed less weapons in the sandbox...

I mean you can take the weapons that already exist, and MAKE them silly.

Like people always complain about how ridiculous the magnum was in CE for being a sidearm, but I always thought that contrast of its size versus its ability to act as an anti-aircraft gun was part of the charm. And like, if we have two or three shotguns in the series anyway, we might as well keep the one that bounces projectiles around and try and make maximizing that property the skill gap. Though in my proposal, you'd probably have to get rid of the idea of power weapons entirely, and just be satisfied with stuff like the rocket launcher being weaker and requiring more skill to use. But picking the right companion weapon to synergize with it is what would allow it to flourish.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Competitive should use commando starts. The gun takes more skill based on the smaller reticule alone. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 2

The strafe and general non-sprinting movement looks sick. This game's strafe makes H2 look like launch Reach. There's gonna be an aiming skillgap in Infinite, no doubt. 

I'm generally positive about the weapons but less so than for the movement.

The BR has pretty abysmal killtimes and a hefty amount of recoil. It looked more effective at range than the Sidekick or the Commando. The killtimes are gonna have to be fixed though, this gun can barely fire a single burst before an AR weakens your shields enough for a melee kill. 

The Sidekick's a 7SK (unless it kills through headshot on the same shot that it breaks shields). I calculated about 10 frames per shot, so 70 frames for a perfect kill - around 1.2 seconds. Could be better. A 6SK would bring it down to 1 second. I couldn't tell clearly, but this might have bloom on it. 

The Commando looks surprisingly difficult to use at range. From what they've said, this gun looks like it's got spread. Not happy. 

The AR looks alright. It definitely isn't quite as much of a laser beam as in Halo 5. 

Heatwave was cool but didn't look like it did much damage at all to the bot on the turret. I'm gonna guess it's got damage dropoff with range. 

Not too happy about the ridiculous amount of magnetism on the pulse carbine. Other than that, solid weapon. 

The needler looks fucking busted for whatever reason lol. Not that important but I thought it was funny. 

Plasma pistol looks more or less like its Halo 5 counterpart. 

The skewer looks like a less-forgiving railgun. I like it. 

Everything else is pretty much OK. Bots looked competent, customization looked good, graphically solid, equipment is eh, and powerups are still a hard no. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

5 hours ago, ARUKET said:

That's nice, but I am so tired of Halo and its insistence on creating two drastically different experiences in competitive and vanilla settings. I was desperately hoping this would FINALLY be the game where vanilla playlists are largely the same as the competitive experience, but this isn't a good sign.

It's just not going to happen.  Comp settings are not going to be AR start.  The fact that grenade hit markers are turned off in competitive too me is a plus.   It's at least a sign they are trying to listen to the competitive community.  Lets hope they turn off radar too. 

• Like (+1) 1

What's the consensus? Good? Bad? Can't tell? Just catching up now—map seems kinda janky. I'm hoping it's intended for a higher player count.

12 minutes ago, RatherSilentMr said:

It's just not going to happen.  Comp settings are not going to be AR start.  The fact that grenade hit markers are turned off in competitive too me is a plus.   It's at least a sign they are trying to listen to the competitive community.  Lets hope they turn off radar too. 

The default radar resembles competitive Halo 5 now where basic movement doesn't show players

5 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

For once it doesn’t suck 

The True test of the engine is to do 24 person ffa with needler starts and 23 people unload a full needler clip on 1 guy all at the same time. 

Now that would be a tech preview ...

5 hours ago, PolyG said:

I don't think it really 'sucked' it's just that the main purpose of the weapon is to get an easy kill on a target that isn't looking. That was the main role of the weapon. It's not supposed to take down a wary opponent attempting to dodge it.

It would also anihilate overshield right?  Hope it still does that. 

I actually think bizarre looks good. It's that other one I don't like.

3 hours ago, Shekkles said:

idk man just compared to what BF2042 is offering...

Still, I'm open minded. There are some games that make me want to die playing, but I find watching them very enjoyable and there are other games I have the opposite feelings for.

Totally different games imo why would you compare them?  And Halo Infinite is free to play ....

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, RatherSilentMr said:

The True test of the engine is to do 24 person ffa with needler starts and 23 people unload a full needler clip on 1 guy all at the same time. 

Now that would be a tech preview ...

Lol let’s do it 

I don't want Spartan chatter to need to be turned off to stop being an annoyance. Why can't they just make it good and not cringe-inducing

Why do the Spartans need to constantly remind each other that they're Spartans. Why can't they call each other "soldier" 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PolyG said:

I don't want Spartan chatter to need to be turned off to stop being an annoyance. Why can't they just make it good and not cringe inducing

Why do the Spartans need to constantly remind each other that they're Spartans. Why can't they call each other "soldier" 

Someone could say it’s epic and you say it’s cringe. 

Bro what the fuck happened to the needler? It sounds horrible and has an ammo counter for no reason.

14 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

We think this will go live later tonight or what?

Confirmed tomorrow, most likely afternoon

Pretty lukewarm on today's footage not gonna lie. 

Still want to play it but it doesn't look like the Halo we've been waiting for. Gunplay looks like it feels a lot like H5 minus thrust.

Also, I still see the audio guys at 343 still don't know how to make nades sound good. 

Edit: This is still a thing? Ugh 343 why? 

7ezru8y.png

• WutFace (+0) 1

3 minutes ago, xSociety said:

Pretty lukewarm on today's footage not gonna lie. 

Still want to play it but it doesn't look like the Halo we've been waiting for. Gunplay looks like it feels a lot like H5 minus thrust.

Also, I still see the audio guys at 343 still don't know how to make nades sound good. 

Or the BR.  Does it sound like it got close to the awful halo 4 BR?

5 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

And that there is why it’s sucks. It shouldn’t only be useful against the unaware that’s fucking stupid that’s why no one in comp picks it up ever. It’ll be a weapon you don’t just ignore 

By this dumb as fuck logic, the Sniper Rifle is a useless weapon, that no one goes for.

• Fire (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Shekkles said:

I have mixed feelings. Need to play to be sure. The player/gun art style looks great, really happy with that. But the environments don't look scifi or Halo whatsoever. Why is Bazaar not looking like Old Mombasa? Why does the training facility map bear no resemblance to The Pit (another training facility) or literally any other Halo map. Very rigid blocks, I'm not feeling them aesthetically. Extremely bland. I hope the others maps don't suffer from this.

In terms of gameplay I think I need to feel it in my own hands to see how it plays. Seeing it played on those bland maps was visually unappealing so I'll see how it goes on the weekend.

The two things I do like about what I have seen:

1. They are careful to suppress visual noise in their artwork.

2. The engine is shining with very simple structures with high poly, such as bars in a ramp that you can see between.

I'm not opposed to new architectures that do not bring us back to maps from previous titles, like The Pit in your example. But I would like to see Forerunner metallic like structures. They can leverage the environmental effects as well as the metallic spartan structures, and they would draw us into the theme of Halo much better.

The only limits I would agree with is if they take us back to a locale from a previous title, that they match the locale from the previous title as well, not redefine it's environment and architectures.

• Like (+1) 1