CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

20 minutes ago, ripharambe said:

Sounds like a you problem got not being able to adapt and enjoy the game for what it is.

Well in a sense you may be correct. but in another sense the portal breaks halo style game play more in your face than sprint. It comes down to having the ability to “forge” your personal teleport on any map given any line of sight target.

Coming from developers who were devout halo fans I think they simply said “wouldn’t it be cool if...” and stuck with it much like 343 is sticking to sprint.

to be honest I am surprised 343 hasn’t considered a portal style ability for halo infinity.

6 minutes ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

I am surprised 343 hasn’t considered a portal style ability for halo infinity

I’m sure they’ve considered it but they don’t have the chops to pull something like that off.  It would be difficult for a developer who is both creative and technically able, neither of which 343 is.  

• Fire (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

in another sense the portal breaks halo style game play more in your face than sprint

What are the similarities and differences between portal creation and sprint?  

3 hours ago, Boyo said:

get out of jail free card... only one is situational (portals can only be used on the portal walls, not anywhere) unlike sprint.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, znot said:

get out of jail free card... only one is situational (portals can only be used on the portal walls, not anywhere) unlike sprint.

Portal also lets you traverse the map instantly making it worse than sprint. My mentioning the two was about how they were included into what was supposed to be halo game play and damaging the depth of play in the process.

i haven’t looked at the latest maps or really did any intense study of the ones I did play on. But I wonder how much depth they add to the maps by design of pad locations? Or do they not really think about high level game play when choosing locations?

3 hours ago, Boyo said:

I’m sure they’ve considered it but they don’t have the chops to pull something like that off.  It would be difficult for a developer who is both creative and technically able, neither of which 343 is.  

It’s actually relatively easy to implement. I did it on the unity game engine. I also noticed their rendering failed to use high resolution rendering textures. That is a trivial issue also. I wondered if they knew how to fix that or if they felt it was good enough?

one limitation they chose was you can only see through your own portal. While that may seem like a design decision for intended tactical play, it’s actually a resource issue that lends itself to what many prefer as intended game play.

21 minutes ago, znot said:

one is situational (portals can only be used on the portal walls

Do you feel like that is an acceptable solution, limiting the gimmick to certain preapproved areas?  Are there any other movement abilities that a map could potentially limit the use of?  

9 minutes ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

Portal also lets you traverse the map instantly making it worse than sprint.

Worse in what way?  Portals don’t force the user to lower his weapon.  

I think it would be relatively easy to make a portal gun in Halo the problem is that it would absolutely destroy the game's pacing

You could have designated port walls or whatever but that would be the same as turning on a regular Halo teleport except now it has a cooldown/limited use. So it would be really on rails and hand holding or be a disaster the likes of which we've never seen with armor abilities if it were allowed to be used freely anywhere

A Pro Pipe that teleports the user to the projectile’s location instead of remotely-detonating it could offer many of the same benefits as portals without all the legwork of creating entrances and exits first.  

24 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I think it would be relatively easy to make a portal gun in Halo the problem is that it would absolutely destroy the game's pacing

You could have designated port walls or whatever but that would be the same as turning on a regular Halo teleport except now it has a cooldown/limited use. So it would be really on rails and hand holding or be a disaster the likes of which we've never seen with armor abilities if it were allowed to be used freely anywhere

Teleports placed on maps by map designers can improve flow. Real time spawning of teleports at will in even just 15% of the map renders map design strategies moot unless the designers can imagine the nearly infinite permutations of scenarios- which is to say they render the design strategies moot.

5 minutes ago, Boyo said:

A Pro Pipe that teleports the user to the projectile’s location instead of remotely-detonating it could offer many of the same benefits as portals without all the legwork of creating entrances and exits first.  

So can rocket packs - don’t mind the 89.7 G force applied to spartan body within the super hero armor plated space outfit.

9 minutes ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

So can rocket packs

Rocket packs would not offer near-instantaneous travel like portals or a translocator-style projectile (that the user fires then teleports to) would.  

Another basic method of instantaneous travel is simply teleporting the user forward a short distance on his command.  Where the projectile can be shot over walls or bounced around corners to gain access, an independent forward-teleport cuts out the middle man, moving the user directly.  

Just now, Boyo said:

Rocket packs would not offer near-instantaneous travel like portals or a translocator-style projectile (that the user fires then teleports to) would.  

Another basic method of instantaneous travel is simply teleporting the user forward a short distance on his command.  Where the projectile can be shot over walls or bounced around corners to gain access, an independent forward-teleport cuts out the middle man, moving the user directly.  

Well if a pro pipe shoots a projectile that then turns into a teleport end point, then ya a jet pack would be about as fast. If the pro pipe used a laser to create a teleport end point, then ya it would be nearly instantaneous.

Depends upon the mechanism of the pro pipe, doesn't it?

11 minutes ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

a laser to create a teleport end point

What do you think about this for a mounted turret?  Each base has an entrance portal inside and a laser turret on the roof that creates the exit node (whose location can be rapidly and remotely modified).  

5 hours ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

Well in a sense you may be correct. but in another sense the portal breaks halo style game play more in your face than sprint. It comes down to having the ability to “forge” your personal teleport on any map given any line of sight target.

Coming from developers who were devout halo fans I think they simply said “wouldn’t it be cool if...” and stuck with it much like 343 is sticking to sprint.

to be honest I am surprised 343 hasn’t considered a portal style ability for halo infinity.

The whole point of the game is for them to build their own thing though ರ_ರ This isn't Halo, they don't need to follow the Halo formula. Hell, following it 1:1 would not only put them in danger of a lawsuit possibly but also condemn them to direct competition with Halo Infinite when it comes and yeah... They're not winning that because they're a 4 man dev team.

5 hours ago, Boyo said:

Both increase rate of travel; sprint by increasing movement speed, portals by reducing travel distance.  

Sprint acts as a modifier button eg crouch becomes slide, creating a new way to move.  Portals birth a route where none existed previously, also creating a new way to move.  

Remember those cit halo 4 armor abilities? Those would've been a trainwreck if added in.

38 minutes ago, ripharambe said:

The whole point of the game is for them to build their own thing though ರ_ರ This isn't Halo, they don't need to follow the Halo formula. Hell, following it 1:1 would not only put them in danger of a lawsuit possibly but also condemn them to direct competition with Halo Infinite when it comes and yeah... They're not winning that because they're a 4 man dev team.

They are extremely successful at developing a MP free to play game. Period.

They could use funding for advertisement for sure.

But their formula is what is killing them. [[ The following is my opinion only, your mileage may vary... ]] People who are hard core Halo fans won't take the portal angle seriously at all. No one else from the Halo community takes their game seriously because it really isn't casual like H3 social used to be.

That have a "cool" idea, but it doesn't work for Halo game play.

Period.

36 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Both increase rate of travel; sprint by increasing movement speed, portals by reducing travel distance.  

The similarity is that they break Halo game play by violating basic movement constraints. But that is all they have in common.

Portals don't increase movement speed. They teleport to any point on the map that is applicable for the other end point. That isn't faster movement. That is instantaneous translation. That difference is like night and day. (I realize you were trying to say this, but you weren't making the significant difference stand out like it deserves.)

The fact that you can be in a fire fight with someone and can spawn a portal behind them, step two or three steps out of their line of sight and shoot them from behind is too much of a game changer to remain the same game in any sense of the word.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

They are extremely successful at developing a MP free to play game. Period.

They could use funding for advertisement for sure.

But their formula is what is killing them. [[ The following is my opinion only, your mileage may vary... ]] People who are hard core Halo fans won't take the portal angle seriously at all. No one else from the Halo community takes their game seriously because it really isn't casual like H3 social used to be.

That have a "cool" idea, but it doesn't work for Halo game play.

Period.

Good thing it's not a Halo game ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ripharambe said:

I dont think it's illegal to copy a game 1:1 as long as you don't title it as the competition's name.

okay maybe not 1:1 on the art front. Yea

3 hours ago, znot said:

I dont think it's illegal to copy a game 1:1 as long as you don't title it as the competition's name.

Tell that to player unknown.

What if:

• Plasma Pistol Overcharged shot
    • Can be deflected with a well timed melee (100ms / 6 frame parry window)

This would make head-on or predictable usage of the PP riskier, while trying to parry also has a cost, as you'll be left recovering from the melee.

Yes, this is what the repulse equipment seems to do, but I really think the PP needs some more inherent counters. This would be a really hype reversal opportunity if the parry window is the right size.

Anyone know how what the window for a sword block was in reach?

8 hours ago, znot said:

Yeah you have to create your own assets and you can't steal characters and shit, but really its VERY hard to get sued lose a lawsuit over art as long as you're not literally stealing things.

5 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Tell that to player unknown.

Ha yeah they're salty sore losers.

• Like (+1) 2