CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

4 minutes ago, vembress said:

anyone here tried splitgate? it's making a bit of a resurgence and it's definitely really fun. it's basically if halo and portal had a baby. 

Wait till players fight a guy who’s so good he portals after every shot and then realize why it’s bad 

9 minutes ago, vembress said:

anyone here tried splitgate? it's making a bit of a resurgence and it's definitely really fun. it's basically if halo and portal had a baby. 

The gimmick doesn't last long enough unfortunately

35 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I used to play it all the time but after playing against people who’d portal every fight or shot I just was like fuck thie

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

Sprinting is a gimmick. Slipgates portals aren't.

• Upvote (+1) 2

20 hours ago, OG Nick said:

Countdown is a better Construct, but that was a low bar. 

Ideally there are 0 remade maps on launch. Use them as nostalgia bait later. 

Construct would be the best map. But it would be made to a 1:2 scale.

All 343 maps lack any strategic thought or meta.

• Downvote (-1) 2

6 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Dude you just stated you’d rather play koth construct than anything period countdown. That may not specifically saying you dislike it but it says to me you find it garbage like still 

Construct KotH was the single best gametype in MLG Halo 3.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TiberiusAudley said:

Construct KotH was the single best gametype in MLG Halo 3.

Is playing one gametype extremely well enough to justify a map’s inclusion?  

Just now, Boyo said:

I'd rather a map play one gametype exceedingly well than include 3 gametypes on a single map just because it plays all 3 passably and there are not enough other good options.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TiberiusAudley said:

I'd rather a map play one gametype exceedingly well than include 3 gametypes on a single map just because it plays all 3 passably and there are not enough other good options.

Do you think there is an inherent incompatibility between disc maps and great gameplay?  Disc maps need to play multiple gametypes well because players won’t learn an entire map for one single gametype but the best maps drive toward a singular goal, they're tailored to it ie the opposite of jack of all trades disc maps.  

5 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Do you think there is an inherent incompatibility between disc maps and great gameplay?  Disc maps need to play multiple gametypes well because players won’t learn an entire map for one single gametype but the best maps drive toward a singular goal, they're tailored to it ie the opposite of jack of all trades disc maps.  

Halo 3's disc maps included Epitaph, Isolation, and Snowbound, which don't play anything well.

1 hour ago, Rdispushedback said:

Construct would be the best map. But it would be made to a 1:2 scale.

All 343 maps lack any strategic thought or meta.

Haven is a better map than Construct

• Like (+1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1

7 hours ago, vembress said:

I played it a few years ago when it first released, and didn't like it. It played like Halo 4, but without any grenades. Has it changed much?

29 minutes ago, Sitri said:

I played it a few years ago when it first released, and didn't like it. It played like Halo 4, but without any grenades. Has it changed much?

Do you think that’s because you are supposed to be your own indirect fire, using portals instead of nades?  

19 hours ago, Boyo said:

The layout of the map, I suppose.  The bases can see right into each other but are separated by a gorge.  This gorge plays into the mechanics of the gametype, allowing players to remove a flag from the enemy capture zone and toss it over the edge.  Maybe there’s just something about multiple persistent objectives on a multi-level segmented map that does it for me.  Countdown is like a better Epitaph.  

You just told us why the map was designed well for objective games especially stockpile.

9 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Dude you just stated you’d rather play koth construct than anything period countdown. That may not specifically saying you dislike it but it says to me you find it garbage like still 

He then said what he liked about countdown. He was painting a relative scale. He simply meant construct koth was by far more fun.

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

Yes. Quality over quantity. 

Beam rifle functions more or less how it currently does but with the ability to pop off 3 quick shots before overheating - the beam itself rebounds from a surface it meets at any contact angle and continues to move and rebound till it contacts 6 surfaces or leaves the map. It leaves a trail marking the beam's path from the point of firing. 

The beam is a 2SK with bodyshots prior to a ricochet, but a 1SK with bodyshots after. Like a dedicated bank shot sniper rifle. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

You just told us why the map was designed well for objective games especially stockpile.

It’s like a more nuanced ‘play ball’ mechanic.  Once the Oddball goes off Guardian, it’s gone.  When a Stockpile Flag gets tossed bottom-mid on Construct, it can still be recovered, carried up through a lift and back down to the capture zone (but doing so pulls you away from the objective spawns on the other side of the map).  

2 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Beam rifle functions more or less how it currently does but with the ability to pop off 3 quick shots before overheating - the beam itself rebounds from a surface it meets at any contact angle and continues to move and rebound till it contacts 6 surfaces or leaves the map. It leaves a trail marking the beam's path from the point of firing. 

The beam is a 2SK with bodyshots prior to a ricochet, but a 1SK with bodyshots after. Like a dedicated bank shot sniper rifle. 

If I stood just outside a narrow hallway, like Pit Long Hall, I could just pump ricochet rounds in, killing everyone inside from the repeateded high power shots bouncing back and forth?  What type of ricocheting projectile would give the user the most agency, instead of relying on dumb luck ricochet shots or cheesy tight hallway ricochets?  I feel like it’s an automatically fired projectile because it’s low enough damage that a player won’t get blained around a corner and it allows the user to adjust his aim based on the visual feedback of where the spikes are ricocheting to.  

12 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Yes. Quality over quantity. 

A weapon like that would get incrementally more random as the projectiles bounce around. I know it technically isn't randomness, but it's comparable to rolling a die (of course not to THAT extent) - it's not random but the outcome is so hard to control that it might as well be.

2 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Plaza could probably look pretty cool as a Forerunner interior.

As ugly as that map was it was the layout that pissed me off the most. Though, it wasn't as stupid as overgrowth.

On 7/25/2021 at 2:55 AM, Reamis25 said:

Wait till players fight a guy who’s so good he portals after every shot and then realize why it’s bad 

Sounds like a you problem, not being able to adapt and enjoy the game for what it is.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

5 hours ago, OG Nick said:

Haven is a better map than Construct

I’m not sure how you're even comparing map design between a game with sprint as a base trait and one without; apples and oranges. 

• Upvote (+1) 1