Jump to content
CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, vembress said:

anyone here tried splitgate? it's making a bit of a resurgence and it's definitely really fun. it's basically if halo and portal had a baby. 

Wait till players fight a guy who’s so good he portals after every shot and then realize why it’s bad 

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, vembress said:

anyone here tried splitgate? it's making a bit of a resurgence and it's definitely really fun. it's basically if halo and portal had a baby. 

The gimmick doesn't last long enough unfortunately

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

The gimmick doesn't last long enough unfortunately

I used to play it all the time but after playing against people who’d portal every fight or shot I just was like fuck thie

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

The gimmick doesn't last long enough unfortunately

Sprinting is a gimmick. Slipgates portals aren't.

  • Upvote (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, OG Nick said:

Countdown is a better Construct, but that was a low bar. 

Ideally there are 0 remade maps on launch. Use them as nostalgia bait later. 

Construct would be the best map. But it would be made to a 1:2 scale.

All 343 maps lack any strategic thought or meta.

  • Downvote (-1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Dude you just stated you’d rather play koth construct than anything period countdown. That may not specifically saying you dislike it but it says to me you find it garbage like still 

Construct KotH was the single best gametype in MLG Halo 3.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, TiberiusAudley said:

Construct KotH was the single best gametype in MLG Halo 3.

Is playing one gametype extremely well enough to justify a map’s inclusion?  

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Boyo said:

Is playing one gametype extremely well enough to justify a map’s inclusion?  

I'd rather a map play one gametype exceedingly well than include 3 gametypes on a single map just because it plays all 3 passably and there are not enough other good options.

  • Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, TiberiusAudley said:

I'd rather a map play one gametype exceedingly well than include 3 gametypes on a single map just because it plays all 3 passably and there are not enough other good options.

Do you think there is an inherent incompatibility between disc maps and great gameplay?  Disc maps need to play multiple gametypes well because players won’t learn an entire map for one single gametype but the best maps drive toward a singular goal, they're tailored to it ie the opposite of jack of all trades disc maps.  

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Do you think there is an inherent incompatibility between disc maps and great gameplay?  Disc maps need to play multiple gametypes well because players won’t learn an entire map for one single gametype but the best maps drive toward a singular goal, they're tailored to it ie the opposite of jack of all trades disc maps.  

Halo 3's disc maps included Epitaph, Isolation, and Snowbound, which don't play anything well.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rdispushedback said:

Construct would be the best map. But it would be made to a 1:2 scale.

All 343 maps lack any strategic thought or meta.

Haven is a better map than Construct

  • Like (+1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, vembress said:

anyone here tried splitgate? it's making a bit of a resurgence and it's definitely really fun. it's basically if halo and portal had a baby. 

I played it a few years ago when it first released, and didn't like it. It played like Halo 4, but without any grenades. Has it changed much?

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Sitri said:

I played it a few years ago when it first released, and didn't like it. It played like Halo 4, but without any grenades. Has it changed much?

Do you think that’s because you are supposed to be your own indirect fire, using portals instead of nades?  

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Boyo said:

The layout of the map, I suppose.  The bases can see right into each other but are separated by a gorge.  This gorge plays into the mechanics of the gametype, allowing players to remove a flag from the enemy capture zone and toss it over the edge.  Maybe there’s just something about multiple persistent objectives on a multi-level segmented map that does it for me.  Countdown is like a better Epitaph.  

You just told us why the map was designed well for objective games especially stockpile.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Dude you just stated you’d rather play koth construct than anything period countdown. That may not specifically saying you dislike it but it says to me you find it garbage like still 

He then said what he liked about countdown. He was painting a relative scale. He simply meant construct koth was by far more fun.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Boyo said:

Is playing one gametype extremely well enough to justify a map’s inclusion?  

Yes. Quality over quantity. 

 

Beam rifle functions more or less how it currently does but with the ability to pop off 3 quick shots before overheating - the beam itself rebounds from a surface it meets at any contact angle and continues to move and rebound till it contacts 6 surfaces or leaves the map. It leaves a trail marking the beam's path from the point of firing. 

The beam is a 2SK with bodyshots prior to a ricochet, but a 1SK with bodyshots after. Like a dedicated bank shot sniper rifle. 

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

You just told us why the map was designed well for objective games especially stockpile.

It’s like a more nuanced ‘play ball’ mechanic.  Once the Oddball goes off Guardian, it’s gone.  When a Stockpile Flag gets tossed bottom-mid on Construct, it can still be recovered, carried up through a lift and back down to the capture zone (but doing so pulls you away from the objective spawns on the other side of the map).  

2 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Beam rifle functions more or less how it currently does but with the ability to pop off 3 quick shots before overheating - the beam itself rebounds from a surface it meets at any contact angle and continues to move and rebound till it contacts 6 surfaces or leaves the map. It leaves a trail marking the beam's path from the point of firing. 

The beam is a 2SK with bodyshots prior to a ricochet, but a 1SK with bodyshots after. Like a dedicated bank shot sniper rifle. 

If I stood just outside a narrow hallway, like Pit Long Hall, I could just pump ricochet rounds in, killing everyone inside from the repeateded high power shots bouncing back and forth?  What type of ricocheting projectile would give the user the most agency, instead of relying on dumb luck ricochet shots or cheesy tight hallway ricochets?  I feel like it’s an automatically fired projectile because it’s low enough damage that a player won’t get blained around a corner and it allows the user to adjust his aim based on the visual feedback of where the spikes are ricocheting to.  

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Yes. Quality over quantity. 

 

Beam rifle functions more or less how it currently does but with the ability to pop off 3 quick shots before overheating - the beam itself rebounds from a surface it meets at any contact angle and continues to move and rebound till it contacts 6 surfaces or leaves the map. It leaves a trail marking the beam's path from the point of firing. 

The beam is a 2SK with bodyshots prior to a ricochet, but a 1SK with bodyshots after. Like a dedicated bank shot sniper rifle. 

A weapon like that would get incrementally more random as the projectiles bounce around. I know it technically isn't randomness, but it's comparable to rolling a die (of course not to THAT extent) - it's not random but the outcome is so hard to control that it might as well be.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Plaza could probably look pretty cool as a Forerunner interior.

As ugly as that map was it was the layout that pissed me off the most. Though, it wasn't as stupid as overgrowth.

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/25/2021 at 2:55 AM, Reamis25 said:

Wait till players fight a guy who’s so good he portals after every shot and then realize why it’s bad 

Sounds like a you problem, not being able to adapt and enjoy the game for what it is.

  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, OG Nick said:

Haven is a better map than Construct

I’m not sure how you're even comparing map design between a game with sprint as a base trait and one without; apples and oranges. 

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy.