CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

12 minutes ago, hvs500 said:

What do you think about melees in games with swift ttks in the first place like ce.

Melee still acts a zoning mechanic.  Stay back and fire your weapon or risk taking heavy damage in close quarters.  Players can charge in for a melee kill or bait a charge while keeping out of range and firing,  It creates choices during combat.  This is good.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Boyo said:

It creates choices during combat.  This is good.  

Many ways to do that, but why melees specifically? You've argued that melee acts as a zoning mechanic, but without melees there'd be little incentive to get in the opponents face, removing the need for zoning entirely. 

15 minutes ago, hvs500 said:

why melees specifically?

It doesn’t have to be melee.  Some kind of knockback bubble could zone or close range alt-fires could end conflicts.  Do you think that opponents chest bumping with no severe repercussions promotes good gameplay by placing a larger emphasis on gunplay?  

35 minutes ago, hvs500 said:

Many ways to do that, but why melees specifically? You've argued that melee acts as a zoning mechanic, but without melees there'd be little incentive to get in the opponents face, removing the need for zoning entirely. 

Melee is just a nice way to dress up an attack that has different use cases than most guns. Just like brawlers and fighting games have light and heavy attacks 

It doesnt have to be dressed as melee if that's what you're getting at, but having something like it is good because it's so different from most other attacks

I hope there's a melee lunge custom setting. Playing with it off might be fun. 

2 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

I hope there's a melee lunge custom setting. Playing with it off might be fun. 

I highly doubt it but it’d be welcome. I don’t mind the lunge I just want it toned down. Like if I jump backwards you can’t get the lunge. Or if I duck at the right time the melee doesn’t connect 

Melees exist because trying to shoot your gun in that close makes both you and your opponent look like doofuses

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 5

What if melee only weapons were the only lunging weapons?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

Getting melee’d should disable your HUD.  Literally, punch your lights out.  

• Simms (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr Grim said:

What if melee only weapons were the only lunging weapons?

I don't like the idea of complete lack of lunge with gunmelees -- even if it is a "last ditch effort" sort of attack, your highly trained super soldier is going to know to put his weight into swinging with his fist/butt of his gun/back of his rocket/etc, and mini-lunges make sense.

7 hours ago, hvs500 said:

Because it's a combat game that is somewhat reminiscent of what people do when they are afar or close by. Unless you want to jump on heads like Mario. 343 even went that far to show you in Halo 5 that wouldn't work.

Question is not why it's there, but how well it's implemented.

1 hour ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Melees exist because trying to shoot your gun in that close makes both you and your opponent look like doofuses

Melee exists because machismo

just say it, you know its true

The sword deserves a buff in infinite. Make it h2 style where you can instant switch and lunge. This can make the sword a weapon worth having. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

The sword deserves a buff in infinite. Make it h2 style where you can instant switch and lunge. This can make the sword a weapon worth having. 

Idk, people think an enemy having something in their pocket that they can't see is so SpOoOoooOOkY! 

8 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

I'm on board with this.  And infinite battery.  I loved the Halo 2 sword.  It was actually feared and fought over because it kicked ass.  The way POWER weapons should be..... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

7 hours ago, xSociety said:

Idk, people think an enemy having something in their pocket that they can't see is so SpOoOoooOOkY! 

10 minutes ago, RatherSilentMr said:

I'm on board with this.  And infinite battery.  I loved the Halo 2 sword.  It was actually feared and fought over because it kicked ass.  The way POWER weapons should be..... 

Question; have the three of you played MCC recently and have experienced being attacked by the sword in Halo 2? And I mean a player outright abusing it too. Are you really sure you want that great of a buff?

Halo 5 also gave us a good amount of evidence what a strong sword can do. Please explain your reasoning.

If the Sword overheated after three consecutive uses, it could have unlimited ammo and not be too OP because of its regulation mechanism. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

59 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Question; have the three of you played MCC recently and have experienced being attacked by the sword in Halo 2? And I mean a player outright abusing it too. Are you really sure you want that great of a buff?

Halo 5 also gave us a good amount of evidence what a strong sword can do. Please explain your reasoning.

tenor.gif

The problem with the sword in H2 was that the BRs TTK was too long to give you chance against it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Aphex Twin said:

You can miss a rocket. You can't miss a sword lunge. 

Should a sword lunge should be parry-able?  For example, with a well-timed melee from a bladed brute weapon?  

Just now, Boyo said:

Should a sword lunge should be parry-able?  For example, with a well-timed melee from a bladed brute weapon?  

There shouldn't be lunge at all. Bring back momentum-based melee. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

There shouldn't be lunge at all. Bring back momentum-based melee. 

The sword shouldn’t have lunge?