CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

27 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Listen Boomer, just because you want Halo 3.5 doesn’t mean the rest of the world is going to stay stuck in the nineties too.  My social studies teacher told me that those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  So if all you want is Midship BRs 24/7 you’re free to make your own game.  

That's it. You and me. 1v1. Halo Reach. Full bloom DMRs. Sword Base. 

Let's go. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

That's it. You and me. 1v1. Halo Reach. Full bloom DMRs. Sword Base. 

Let's go. 

I’ll throw a fucking fusion coil at you.  

• Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Listen Boomer, just because you want Halo 3.5 doesn’t mean the rest of the world is going to stay stuck in the nineties too.  My social studies teacher told me that those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  So if all you want is Midship BRs 24/7 you’re free to make your own game.  

Wait... YOUR social studies teacher told you that? Well shit, so did mine. Guess that's an oddity unless we studied at the same place... Did we?

Shower thought time.

First person perspective should remain while a player is dead and waiting to respawn, and they shouldn't be able to watch their team mates from a third person perspective anymore, or even not at all. I don't know what the point is of letting a player waiting to respawn continue assisting their team. They got outplayed and put down for a reason, and so having the consolation prize of then being able to be the eyes in the back of their team mates' heads is nasty.

If this change were to be made, quick on the fly decisions of where exactly to kill your enemy could be taken into the combat dance equation. If you kill your enemy out in the wide open, they'll still see some important info as they're stuck in their corpse. But if you slay them with a line of sight blocker next to them, they'll be cut off from continuing to play from the grave. Or maybe the dead player's screen just goes black.

Imagine -- someone rips out an Extermination? GO GO GO big hyper push time because the enemy can't see you because they're dead. Wouldn't that be exhilarating?

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Faeyrin said:

First person perspective should remain while a player is dead and waiting to respawn, and they shouldn't be able to watch their team mates from a third person perspective anymore, or even not at all. I don't know what the point is of letting a player waiting to respawn continue assisting their team. They got outplayed and put down for a reason, and so being the consolation prize of then being able to be the eyes in the back of their team mates' heads is nasty.

Why even let them respawn at all?  They got outplayed and died.  That it.  It’s over.  

• Fire (+1) 1

Do you just have this thread open 24/7? I keep forgetting to finish my damned thoughts before you respond because I'm still not used to a normal forum being this active. (my fault tho)

1 minute ago, Faeyrin said:

Do you just have this thread open 24/7? I keep forgetting to finish my damned thoughts before you respond because I'm still not used to a normal forum being this active. (my fault tho)

Or you could finish your thought before hitting that post button then editing in your continued stream of consciousness.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Important Announcement:

@xSociety and I are putting together a Halo Infinite Launch LAN at his new house.  He doesn't know this yet, but y'all are all invited. 

There will be plenty of Pizza, Doritos, and Mt. Dew provided. Maybe even some Cherry Dr. Pepper like the old MLG days.

We also plan to play a bit of MCC CE at the LAN as well.  Metal music will occasionally be played.  Sorry no rap.  We may even listen to Slayer while playing Slayer. 

Feel free to bring your high end PC or Series X and a monitor if you prefer to have your own screen , otherwise a split screen slot will be provided to you.

@OG Nick has volunteered to bring chicken dip and play with the most busted controller. 

See you Holiday 2021

• Like (+1) 3
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Are you going to have water? Ice Mountain, preferably (though Nestle is evil)? Malnutrition such as sugars like soda can impact brain performance.

I wonder how much better the pros would be if they were health nuts like me. Keto and fasting and frequent exercise and amphetamines.

1 minute ago, Faeyrin said:

Are you going to have water? Ice Mountain, preferably (though Nestle is evil)? Malnutrition such as sugars like soda can impact brain performance.

I wonder how much better the pros would be if they were health nuts like me. Keto and fasting and frequent exercise and amphetamines.

Only tap.  You can bring a Brita filter if you like

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Faeyrin said:

Imagine -- someone rips out an Extermination? GO GO GO big hyper push time because the enemy can't see you because they're dead. Wouldn't that be exhilarating?

If the logic was that the death camera is dependent on there being a corpse, a weapon that disintegrated the target player model could black out the enemy’s screen during respawn.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RatherSilentMr said:

Important Announcement:

@xSociety and I are putting together a Halo Infinite Launch LAN at his new house.  He doesn't know this yet, but y'all are all invited. 

There will be plenty of Pizza, Doritos, and Mt. Dew provided. Maybe even some Cherry Dr. Pepper like the old MLG days.

We also plan to play a bit of MCC CE at the LAN as well.  Metal music will occasionally be played.  Sorry no rap.  We may even listen to Slayer while playing Slayer. 

Feel free to bring your high end PC or Series X and a monitor if you prefer to have your own screen , otherwise a split screen slot will be provided to you.

@OG Nick has volunteered to bring chicken dip and play with the most busted controller. 

See you Holiday 2021

Pay my plane ticket and hotel 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1

1 hour ago, Faeyrin said:

Shower thought time.

First person perspective should remain while a player is dead and waiting to respawn, and they shouldn't be able to watch their team mates from a third person perspective anymore, or even not at all. I don't know what the point is of letting a player waiting to respawn continue assisting their team. They got outplayed and put down for a reason, and so having the consolation prize of then being able to be the eyes in the back of their team mates' heads is nasty.

If this change were to be made, quick on the fly decisions of where exactly to kill your enemy could be taken into the combat dance equation. If you kill your enemy out in the wide open, they'll still see some important info as they're stuck in their corpse. But if you slay them with a line of sight blocker next to them, they'll be cut off from continuing to play from the grave. Or maybe the dead player's screen just goes black.

Why do I feel like your complaint is a minority one. Many comp games have the halo death cam feature outside of CS and valorant. 

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

Why even let them respawn at all?  They got outplayed and died.  That it.  It’s over.  

Brick their Xbox when they die. Get domed noob. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BigShow36 said:

Brick their Xbox when they die. Get domed noob. 

There was some computer game released as a joke that deleted an actual file off your computer every time you killed an enemy so eventually the game, along with your system, would just crash.  

5 hours ago, Boyo said:

Worst post ever

Man I just want to play infinite already the game genuinely looks fun. My only worry right now is the starting weapons. The pistol should be at best a mid range gun, and a slightly toned ROF, and a perfect TTK of .8 or .9 seconds. 

11 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Man I just want to play infinite already the game genuinely looks fun. My only worry right now is the starting weapons. The pistol should be at best a mid range gun, and a slightly toned ROF, and a perfect TTK of .8 or .9 seconds. 

Not an unpleasant surprise but when exactly was it that you 180'd on TTK

22 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Not an unpleasant surprise but when exactly was it that you 180'd on TTK

Hmm I think it’s because honestly I do want a strong fast TTK just not as fast as CE pistol mostly because I do like the way halo plays, but it’s the best way to strike a proper competitive balance especially in helping prevent people from escaping battles. Individual empowerment is the key. 

Hot Take:

Capture the Flag in Halo isn't even that good relative to games with better movement mechanics where route-taking is better accentuated.

Competitive Halo could do better.

1 minute ago, TiberiusAudley said:

Hot Take:

Capture the Flag in Halo isn't even that good relative to games with better movement mechanics where route-taking is better accentuated.

Competitive Halo could do better.

It’s easy to criticize things but harder to fix them.  How could Halo’s CTF be better?

30 minutes ago, Boyo said:

It’s easy to criticize things but harder to fix them.  How could Halo’s CTF be better?

You misunderstand.  It's not about improving CTF, it's about replacing CTF.  In the process of responding to this post my opinion has altered slightly because I remembered Halo 2 was actually great.

Primarily because once you've grabbed a flag the question is less, "Which route do I take?" (because your movement alone is almost never going to score a flag), but rather, "At what point do I need to fight?"  It's a large part of why I've said repeatedly people missed out on Ricochet's potential in Halo because they looked at the base settings given, which tried to copy CoD Uplink, and said "Oh, this is garbage." (It was.)  But it had potential with a much higher score cap and better differentiated score amounts for dunks vs throws...because it then becomes a risk/reward wager and a trade off of if you decide to continue moving or just take the easy points for a ranged shot.

In CTF, though -- you'll notice that the better the teams involved are, the more you see a flag carrier outright stop running the flag.  Which is extremely odd to see be the correct decision to make in a situation for an objective directly related to said flag.  But it usually is, because in Halo a flag carrier (outside of, say, vehicle play, or maps with lifts/teleporters) does not have options to outmaneuver a team that has guns and weaponry that can stop him.

I'll grant some concessions here, because Halo 2 actually had some excellent options for CTF maps that added some decision making nuance, but it's nuance we've seen essentially erased in more recent games because the map design has not kept up.

1. B.Creek - Disregarding the lack of symmetry, this map has a lot to offer a CTF set-up, because someone taking the flag has 3 decisions they can make immediately that all have massive opportunity costs.  Because of this, your route taking actually matters.
    1. Throw the flag out the ceiling/side window.  If you have someone to catch it, you've just massively trimmed your flag route time and guaranteed a fast way to the other side of the map.  If not, you've just become a diversion that makes your opponents pay attention or lose a flag.
    2. Run the flag out low, to the side.  Your opponents have to stop looking forward and look back to stop you.
    3. Run the flag straight out across mid.  You can make a bee-line due to the blocky bases segmenting the map in such a way that makes this a powerful option, but still definitely slower than option 1.
  2. Midship - Top middle allows for fastcaps or teamwork rallied routes that can offset the "hey I need to stop running and fight" instinct.
  3. Warlock - Much lower degree than the others, because the tiny map size lends this one to be more focused on slay-first-run-later, but it has elements that I want to highlight:
    1. Fastest Route: Most people assume the teleporters are the fastest route, but in most of the games that have had a Warlock variant, going straight out, then along the left side (down ramp, straight to your lift side) can outpace most other options.
    2. Teleporters to allow juking: Because of the 2 two-way teleporters, there's plenty of room to attempt to outmaneuver your opponent.  But again, this is more in theory than in practice, since the small map size ultimately just means it's turn and burn anyway, especially in a high communication environment.

So...uh, after actually thinking about this more, my tune is less: "Hey get rid of CTF" and more: "Hey, if you want to have CTF, you need to have more maps like B.Creek, where the flag carrier is forced to make weighted decisions with heavy opportunity costs.

Another decent map example is Narrows, where the safest route is ultimately to run straight under bottom middle -- but a team looking to just rush a flag to their side could always throw it through the lift... but the lift is a very open area and you risk not only dropping the flag off the map, but also sacrificing your numbers advantage elsewhere if the flag gets stopped even for a moment on your side.

Edit:

So, my point is more: CTF on flat, two base maps with the only method of going from one base to the other being to cross the center of the map is bad and should not be a core competitive option.  I'm looking at you Pit, Sanctuary, LargeMiddyKnockoff, TinyMiddyKNockoffWithNoDanceFloorTopMiddle, Zealot, Coliseum...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 2