CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

12 minutes ago, Rdispushedback said:

Whichever one plays better is probably what they used to make their final decision.

Carbine is more of a spamming type of weapon. If the weapon does the work its not competitive.

and you expect to hit your shots by spamming the carbine?

The waypoint thread about hitmarkers makes me angry

6 hours ago, NavG123 said:

Have they even confirmed a customs browser? They’ve been very light on details regarding features so far.

That's because it's 343 and they've obviously been in development hell and infinite will probably be launching pretty bare Bones just like Halo 5.  Bookmark this post and hopefully prove me wrong

• Fire (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

buRsT fIRe is moAr cOMPetiTiVe tHen siNGle sHot

I too like getting partial credit for my windmill aim

• Like (+1) 3

If Radar was only given to vehicle occupants, it would give the driver a reason to sit in the vehicle, so he can call out any enemy movement as his buddy goes for the flag.  At the same time, it’s not permanent x-ray vision because the radar antenna attachment can be physically destroyed, shot off the vehicle.  Vehicle specific abilities like this reinforce the idea that they are mini bases unto themselves, even more so with the on-board storage rack of the Razorback.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Boyo said:

If Radar was only given to vehicle occupants, it would give the driver a reason to sit in the vehicle, so he can call out any enemy movement as his buddy goes for the flag.  At the same time, it’s not permanent x-ray vision because the radar antenna attachment can be physically destroyed, shot off the vehicle.  Vehicle specific abilities like this reinforce the idea that they are mini bases unto themselves, even more so with the on-board storage rack of the Razorback.  

I would consider this your 2nd ever good idea. 

I still don't think I'd do it but, it makes more sense than what you usually recommend.

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Boyo said:

I'd go one step further and have the vehicle itself give everyone around it radar pings. Also, have the transport vehicles act as a spawn point for the whole team, like transport vehicles in BF. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Boyo said:

How would you go about designing automatics that can compete with the BR without them becoming OP or too difficult to aim?

Halo 5 was close to the right idea with this -- AR had perfect tap accuracy so it could operate as a precision weapon when fire wasn't being returned, had bonus damage to head once shields were taken down.  A lot of its overpowered nature came from the mobility within Halo 5 being overpowered and allowing sprintthrustslideintoyourfacearoundacorner contests that artificially inflated a user's engage range.

Storm Rifle had way too much bullet magnetism for a projectile auto where the plasma would literally curve mid-air like a Needler to track a target in RRR -- if it hadn't had that it would've been in a good place overall.

I don't think H5's system was perfect, nor were the autos fully balanced, but the avenues they took were a step in the right direction from any previous iteration.

4 hours ago, xSociety said:

Well, if they competed against the BR and was not difficult to aim it would be OP. 

4 hours ago, Boyo said:

Is lethality the only way to buff a weapon?  

This makes me miss Halo 2's melee system...  I also wish draw speed were a tuning lever that was cared about.

The main fulcrum to focus on with regards to balancing autos versus precision is leniency.  Precision weapons are, by nature, not lenient to missed shots/bursts.  If you miss a shot, that's a large percentage of your damage gone.

If you want an auto to -compete- against a precision weapon, you can cap its effective range (making it useless outside of a short range niche), you can make it kill more slowly than a precision in all situations (which can make the precision weapon just genuinely better overall, and useless in high skill games), or you can find ways to adjust its leniency.

As an example, but not necessarily a method I would implement, let's take a plasma weapon.  For every consecutive shot that hits, the next shot deals an increased amount of damage, represented by the plasma "melting" the shields further.  Missing shots causes these damage amp stacks to fall off rapidly (almost as rapidly as the RoF of the weapon).  So in order to keep a high damage profile, you need to not miss shots, or at least not miss consecutive shots.  This would also help situations where the precision user has the jump in the situation not to be left with a guaranteed no shields just for engaging against an auto user, since the damage would not be at max potential right from the start, but rather ramp up to it over the engage...so if you get first two shots and they turn to fire, you're in much better shape.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I've always thought it would be cool and would like to try settings where the only thing limited a gun's range is the RRR/aim assist range. Every gun perfectly accurate at all distances, but with clearly carved out RRRs. Maybe even have a gun like the DMR have less magnetism if the player is too close for its intended range. Ideally, this makes all weapons viable to the extent to which a player is skilled. AR and pistol would have full magnetism at close range, mild at medium range, and none at long range. BR would have full magnetism at medium range and mild magnetism at close and long. The DMR would have full magnetism at long, mild at medium, and none at close.

But I guess that would all fall apart with a keyboard and mouse. I really like the idea though.

8 hours ago, Faeyrin said:

I definitely don't want AR starts to be in any serious playlist. At least, definitely not in the way we've almost always known automatic weapons to be. Though that said, has anyone watched this video yet?

Misgivings of the AR in H3 being shit put aside, I think he has a fair perspective.

Lmao I'm behind reading the last few pages but to answer the video title the answer is no. Some of us unfortunately have quite a lot of experience with meme gametypes and maps and the only words I have for you in a game without a BR would be sniper rifle, rocket launcher, sword, shotgun, mauler and gravity hammer. You will not be doing shit until those run out of ammo or charges

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Boyo said:

You fuckin fuck I just watched this movie recently

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

The waypoint thread about hitmarkers makes me angry

Why would you even bother going there to read anything? It's basically masochism.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the biggest thing about automatics and Halo that has really skewed the way people view things is that for some reason people think something automatic can't be a precision weapon even though they're not mutually exclusive to begin with the developer just set up that false premise by never producing something that fit the criteria for both despite many other games doing so. For example from a discussion that was had months ago you can just reduce the rate of fire to up the importance of individual bullets etc.

In fact the old argument for burst fire vs single shot applies to automatic vs single shot except this time tracking the target is emphasized to the highest degree and is somewhat more arguable than burst fire is imo

1 hour ago, TiberiusAudley said:

find ways to adjust its leniency

What do you think about a more active approach?  The Sand Blaster continuously fires a wide, flat swath of low damage projectiles with one trigger.  The other trigger tightens the diffuse spray into a concentrated jet, increasing dps but decreasing aoe.  

5 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What do you think about a more active approach?  The Sand Blaster continuously fires a wide, flat swath of low damage projectiles with one trigger.  The other trigger tightens the diffuse spray into a concentrated jet, increasing dps but decreasing aoe.  

Do you have an interest in genuine game design or are you just on drugs whenever you think these things up? No judgement though, I've had some great ideas on Speed Boost.

• Simms (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

Why would you even bother going there to read anything? It's basically masochism.

Honestly it's no different than reading pages of Reamis posts on here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 7

I never wanna see aim assistance with peaks and valleys ever again. It needs to work consistently within the weapons appropriate range. Strong up close, and tapers off over distance. I never want H5 tier whiplashy nonsense intentionally fucking me over by suddenly deciding to weaken my aim assistance just because someone got to close. It's obnoxious, and impossible to account for mid fight. "AutOmatics shOuld bE bETTer up cLoSE anD prEcIsiON bad." God no.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

I never wanna see aim assistance with peaks and valleys ever again. It needs to work consistently within the weapons appropriate range. Strong up close, and tapers off over distance. I never want H5 tier whiplashy nonsense intentionally fucking me over by suddenly deciding to weaken my aim assistance just because someone got to close. It's obnoxious, and impossible to account for mid fight. "AutOmatics shOuld bE bETTer up cLoSE anD prEcIsiON bad." God no.

This is the truth about aim assist. Its so bad when it changes. It needs to be consistent and either on or off and not a sliding scale because that just fucks with your muscle memory badly. I'd also say that the thing they have occasionally done where your sensitivity and acceleration curve changes based on the gun you have out also needs to go permanently for the same reason 

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Faeyrin said:

If any particular person's grievance with the way of things is that they're upset because their own favorite way of playing the game isn't the most popular way to the play the game...

That's really immature.

I can understand wanting the competitive settings to be the best they can be. They should be, too. I want that. But at the end of the day, what's popularity to you? Unless you're someone who's privileged enough to seriously consider trying to make a living off of professional play or its adjacent parts (caster, organization staff, etc), it's very hard for me to see the value in clamoring over one's own particular niche to be THE niche. Even then, it seems like 343i has big plans with HCS for Infinite. The developer support, which the competitive Halo community cried for with Bungie, is definitely going to be here.

You're always going to have your circle of friends in addition to being able to find more and more with the help of Custom Browser. There's probably always going to be a competitive/hardcore playlist, too. You're going to be able to play the settings that you want to play, when you want to play them.

Halo is the Mario Party of FPS games now. This is a net positive. Let's just embrace it, man.

I'm more of the mind that a more competitive-oriented playerbase is good for Halo because:

1) It raises the overall quality of games.

2) It provides much higher longevity.

3) It insulates games from getting progressively worse. 

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

In general I'm not a fan of putting a weapon's base use behind a series of button presses when one would do.

46 minutes ago, TeeJaY said:

Honestly it's no different than reading pages of Reamis posts on here.

Reamis gets an unfair amount of flack when he's the only one who has been keeping this forum alive.

• Simms (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Yo the cod subreddit is hyping up infinite 

My teenage angst response to that is go back to Call of Duty bad kids. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TiberiusAudley said:

If you want an auto to -compete- against a precision weapon, you can cap its effective range (making it useless outside of a short range niche), you can make it kill more slowly than a precision in all situations (which can make the precision weapon just genuinely better overall, and useless in high skill games), or you can find ways to adjust its leniency.

What does “find ways to adjust its leniency” mean?