CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

10 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Thing is that the grappleshot really becomes too overcentralizing for the game's good. You can make ridiculous cross-map movements with it, take a free W from otherwise tense and crucial power item battles, escape from fights with the smallest bit of situational awareness, and fucking latch onto people 50 meters away with forgiving aim before pulling out a hammer or a sword. 

I'm not gonna pretend that it's gonna get removed, but I really want them to place some restrictions on what you can do with it. 

Movement is kind of what it's meant for, so the only significant nerfs I want pertain to range and the ability to shoot people down mid-grapple.

Pulling items is fine too, as long as they're off their default spawn position. 

Grappling to other players is also fine, as long as they make it harder to latch on (and not as easy as it was in the MP overview).

I want to try it out first before I start screaming nerf. Hopefully we can get our hands on a beta as quick as possible so we can make a good judgement 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Killmachine said:

in general the thought process behind the new equipment seems actually well thought out, and across the board seems like they're making some effort to not make reskinned weapons and give each weapon its own place or usefulness

I am extremely worried about the point system, it looks exactly like h4's. Now we can't see the UI obviously but every kill gives 100 points or some shit so if its like h4 it means doing extra stuff will contribute to the score for stuff like Slayer which is dumb. I hope that is an experience point / progression thing and not how the game actually determines who wins

I am extremely impressed with the leve of improvements that seem to have been made across the board, the year long delay seems to be well worth it, the graphics look really fucking good and the gameplay itself seems fun. Even the BR and Snipe seem like they're going to be harder with the projectiles and the smaller reticle

it's a free to play game, its filled with constant dopamine hits, it's going to have those numbers, whether they mean anything or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

I hope I'm able to punish the grapple hook in a few ways. Shooting people out the air when they zip to the ceiling, not a problem. Not too concerned about that. However, and I hope this doesn't have to be said but, I genuinely hope that if someone grapple shots a fusion coil or something, that I can shoot it out their hands. There's always something in the back of my mind that I can just see being stupid about new mechanics being put into Halo (we haven't had the best track record). So as long as the hurtboxes for fusion coils still exists and/or I can shoot people zipping at me, I'm not too worried about most of the grappleshot. I genuinely hope if someone grappleshots me and zips towards me, I don't lose all control of my character or something. Because that would be annoying.

Considering the fact we know we can nade weapons, them grapple hooking weapon pads doesn't really bother me too much. I would prefer if they didn't announce when weapons are coming up and force people to learn the maps/timings, but it's hard to get games to do things like that these days.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, -DeucEy- said:

and force people to learn the maps/timings, but it's hard to get games to do things like that these days.

You’ll find even in comp play people don’t care for this mechanic. My feelings personally  on it are mixed. 

ranked play should be seasoned base similar to h5, hopefully with a higher population we can have party restrictions that work

I had previously suggested an Assault Rifle secondary weapon that can alt-fire Railgun Slugs once ammo has been picked up off the map.  

343’s approach to empowering infantry with anti-vehicle capabilities is woven into the Grappleshot; reel in a fusion coil then toss it at an enemy vehicle.   

Which approach is preferable?  Toting around a fusion coil carries the inherent risk of getting blown up yourself while tying power ammo to the spawn secondary means if you swap out your AR for another weapon, you lose your anti vehicle capabilities.  

4 hours ago, Hard Way said:

If the grappleshot is so strong that it makes getting power weapons trivially easy and “unfair” (it’s not) than that would just mean that you need to contest the grappleshot better, right? And then once you’re getting the grappleshot all the time and the game isn’t just falling into your lap, maybe you’ll realize that the grappleshot was never the problem.

Now what do you do if the grappleshot and rockets are spawning at the same time? and the sniper spawns a minute later? will the grapple or rockets make getting the sniper easier? probably going to depend on the map.  Those are the decisions I like to have to make. As long as there aren't like 3 grapples on the map at a time or they don't have 20 uses each it'll be fine.

4 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

If there’s a headshot multiplier, I think can really change things for the better. Instead of body+body+Body+ head, it’s Head+head+head. Sure there can be some lucky moments, but I think that’s a small price to pay for a greater skill gap. Hell in warzone there’s been times where I’m basically 2 shots dead but I win because I get headshots on my opponent 

As long as the bullet magnetism is toned down so upper chest or shoulder shots don't count as headshots like they do in H4/5, im all for it.

3 hours ago, TI Inspire said:

If you did so, you'd get a very different picture. H4 and Reach would be shown to have near identical population counts near their launch, with H4's population only becoming appreciably smaller than Reach's population a couple of months after launch. But yes, H4 did fail to retain its population as well as its predecessors.

This doesn't really make Halo 4 look any better though haha.  Its worse than that.  Even if you double the numbers, it still drops like a rock and Halo 4 ends up having less players at 150 days after launch than Halo 2 does out to 850-900 days.  And when you consider that Halo 4 sold about 2 million more copies than H2.... 

4 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

As long as the bullet magnetism is toned down so upper chest or shoulder shots don't count as headshots like they do in H4/5, im all for it.

Agreed and hey we saw one clip where the shot missed which would’ve been a headshot in h5

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NavG123 said:

If it was a claw, it shouldn’t be able to latch onto flat surfaces without the claws penetrating the surface.

Claw machine with bubble gum on it.

• Simms (+1) 1

3 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Thing is that the grappleshot really becomes too overcentralizing for the game's good. You can make ridiculous cross-map movements with it, take a free W from otherwise tense and crucial power item battles, escape from fights with the smallest bit of situational awareness, and fucking latch onto people 50 meters away with forgiving aim before pulling out a hammer or a sword. 

I'm not gonna pretend that it's gonna get removed, but I really want them to place some restrictions on what you can do with it. 

Movement is kind of what it's meant for, so the only significant nerfs I want pertain to range and the ability to shoot people down mid-grapple.

Pulling items is fine too, as long as they're off their default spawn position. 

Grappling to other players is also fine, as long as they make it harder to latch on (and not as easy as it was in the MP overview).

Assuming you only get 3 shots with it, I think it should be strong, and all of these things are fine, assuming the respawn time isn’t as fucking stupid as H3’s equipment times.

“You can make ridiculous cross map movements with it.” You get finite charges. If that’s how you want to use them, so be it.

”Take a free W from otherwise tense and crucial power item battles,” If that’s the case, then that simply means the battle for the grappleshot takes its place.

”Escape from fights with the smallest bit of situational awareness,” You need to turn completely away from your enemy and use one of your finite charges that you earned, to hopefully break line of sight fast enough to survive. That’s fine.

”and latch onto people 50 meters away with forgiving aim to pull out a hammer or a sword.” 50 meters is a huge exaggeration from what I can tell, but even if it’s not, you’ll die on your way in if that’s your plan. I also am not convinced the aim is that forgiving. I’m pretty sure the footage I saw showed a guy shooting the ground next to the target before killing him, and it was from like 20ft away tops.

I think everyone is blowing this way out of proportion. You get limited charges and it’s a map pickup. It should be strong, and it should be versatile.

• Like (+1) 3

why is there an announcer line for when you snipe someone without scoping in... 

:(

It should be, a medal for a sniper headshot. If you get a body shot, that's just a kill. 

I think the problem with halo is there aren’t enough opportunities for your enemies to get themselves into random and unpredictable positions on the map. That’s why I like sprint and the grappling hook.

• Simms (+1) 2
  • Hooked 1

1 minute ago, Botheredhat360 said:

why is there an announcer line for when you snipe someone without scoping in... 

:(

It should be, a medal for a sniper headshot. If you get a body shot, that's just a kill. 

Honestly I'd be all for hearing more Jeff Steitzer if they didn't absolutely butcher his voice. I remember when Halo 5 launched I said something like it sounds as if the took his voice and ran it through 50 instagram filters. kILL tHe EnEmY tEaM tO EaRn PoInTs bY kILLiNg ThE eNeMy TeAm aNd EaRnInG pOiNtS bY gEtTiNg KiLLs. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Just now, Hully said:

Honestly I'd be all for hearing more Jeff Steitzer if they didn't absolutely butcher his voice. I remember when Halo 5 launched I said something like it sounds as if the took his voice and ran it through 50 instagram filters. kILL tHe EnEmY tEaM tO EaRn PoInTs bY kILLiNg ThE eNeMy TeAm aNd EaRnInG pOiNtS bY gEtTiNg KiLLs. 

fuck it

let's have jeff scream out assist

3 minutes ago, Hootspa said:

I think the problem with halo is there aren’t enough opportunities for your enemies to get themselves into random and unpredictable positions on the map. That’s why I like sprint and the grappling hook.

This is also why bloom from halo reach was a very good addition. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Hooked 1

4 hours ago, TI Inspire said:

Halo 4's data isn't quite comparable to the rest there because that dataset only tracked the number of players actively in the multiplayer playlists. If you were playing the campaign, customs, or forge, you wouldn't be shown in the numbers.

Halo: Reach not only had playlist population counters, but had total population counters. From there, you could add the playlist populations and divide by the total population.

The result is that you'd almost always get a ratio of about 0.5. Meaning that half the population of Reach was actively in a playlist (the only population captured by the H4 dataset), and the other half was not.

Look at the launch time numbers more closely, Reach and H4 were launched only 2 years apart, they sold essentially the same number of copies in the launch week, yet this graph shows H4 with only half the population Reach had during its launch. This is because the dataset for H4 simply fails to capture the entire population that was actually playing it. You'd literally have to double the H4 numbers to do so.

If you did so, you'd get a very different picture. H4 and Reach would be shown to have near identical population counts near their launch, with H4's population only becoming appreciably smaller than Reach's population a couple of months after launch. But yes, H4 did fail to retain its population as well as its predecessors.

I’m comparing far more closely to Halo 2/3 which showed Multiplayer only and we’re the last examples of the golden trinity of Halo mechanics.  Halo 4 didn't just fail to retain population, it failed catastrophically. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Hootspa said:

Were you tired of only lowering your weapon while sprinting?… introducing Grappleshot!  

Why do all the movement abilities have such a long range and disable attack?  

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Botheredhat360 said:

fuck it

TRAPPLE Assiiiist!

4 minutes ago, Botheredhat360 said:

fuck it

Lmao I’m just imagining the overly processed h4 announcer being like, “Walk Forward!”, “Strafe Right!”, “Jump!”, “Switched Weapons!”, literally every time you press a button

14 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

”Take a free W from otherwise tense and crucial power item battles,” If that’s the case, then that simply means the battle for the grappleshot takes its place.

When I suggested an alt-fire similar to Repulsor, the criticism I received was that it would lower the significance of rockets because you can now deflect them.  Should there be a hard counter to a well placed rocket?  Is it really a top tier power weapon if its projectiles can be brushed away so easily?  

How does Tywin put it?  “If another house can seize one of our own and hold him captive with impunity, we are no longer a house to be feared.”  Does this apply to the Rocket Launcher now?