CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Just now, Botheredhat360 said:

The fact that you can't shoot at top speed is a breaking point of halo as well. 

The combination of sprint and aim down sights makes moving quickly and shooting accurately mutually exclusive.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Fire (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Boyo said:

@Ethereal Nights When sprint is a base ability, it affects more than map design.  Aim assist values, splash damage radius, projectile speed.  While I do agree with you that shooting is the most important part, sprint still affects shooting by affecting all those values.  

All of that is fine. Or at least they can be fine if the developers knows what they're doing. Unable to shoot your weapon? That's only fine within the golden triangle of the franchise. Guns, grenades, melee. And vehicles or objectives if you wanna get cute. Anything outside of those that stops you from shooting your weapon is straight garbage.

But if I'm able to press the right trigger and my gun shoots immediately while canceling sprint at the same time, problem solved.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, xSociety said:

Same here dude. While it's not classic Halo, never was going to be, it seems like the next best thing. They took H5 and fixed all the major issues with it, obviously Sprint still sucks but yeah.

The big question now to me is MAPS, how good are they and FORGE. Will forge allow us to make amazing maps and will 343 be quick to add the best ones into the rotation. So, the excitement is there, it just still has some caveats.

I'm excited by the fact that 343 is finally handling Halo with the weight it deserves - the Battle Pass details seem great, most of the features we've seen so far seem player friendly, F2P MP is great, etc. My biggest gripe right now being input based matchmaking for ranked but the other option is everyone complaining about how x or y input is unbalanced. 

The sentiment overall to me shows that MS is finally taking Halo seriously somewhat and realize it needs to be a successful game first and foremost, even if that means at the sacrifice of it being profitable any time soon. 

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Botheredhat360 said:

The fact that you can't shoot at top speed is a breaking point of halo as well. 

This. Sacrificing speed (usually the optimal speed to traverse the maps) to engage in combat or do something as simple as check your surroundings / assess the map is a big no no.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

The combination of sprint and aim down sights makes moving quickly and shooting accurately mutually exclusive.  

what?

• WutFace (+0) 2

1 hour ago, Ethereal Nights said:

All of that is fine. Or at least they can be fine if the developers knows what they're doing. Unable to shoot your weapon? That's only fine within the golden triangle of the franchise. Guns, grenades, melee. And vehicles or objectives if you wanna get cute. Anything outside of those that stops you from shooting your weapon is straight garbage.

But if I'm able to press the right trigger and my gun shoots immediately while canceling sprint at the same time, problem solved.

yeah not being able to shoot your gun when you want to is one thing

But being able to go at top speed in whatever direction and shoot is a fucking essential thing man, traversing the map and performing jumps while still being able to shoot is quintessential to halo. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

Do you think they have the sandbox figured out before they start designing the maps?  Ideally, you would have the sandbox done before you started designing maps for it but I don’t think that’s the case.  

No.  You're iterating both at the same time. Logistically its impossible to fully design one before starting on the other.  You have to work in parallel or you would never get your product out.

Total sidebar:

There are differences between developing a sandbox-based game vs developing a player-traits-based game though that makes one process easier than the other. With sandbox based, you can freely create whatever maps you think are good based on a single set of variable and the sandbox guys can design those elements that they think are good based on a single set of variables. You can create whatever sandbox stuff you want and find the ones that fit the map later.  If you find that a particular sandbox element is too OP or just plain shitty, you only have to edit that one thing which doesn't effect the rest of the game. you can iterate faster this way because you can isolate one variable at a time while keeping the rest of the mechanics constant.

In a game where the power is centered on the base player traits, you have to design your maps and sandbox elements around the base traits.  You're essentially gimping your design because you have to design the geometry around a whole set of player variables. If any of those variables changes it changes the way the player interacts with the ENTIRE game, instead of just a single element. Its impossible to completely isolate and test a single variable because the player has multiple at their disposal all the time.  This maps plays great when you just run.  Well shit when you sprint its too small. Lets make it larger.  Ok its larger, sprinting is fine now but all the engagement distances are too long 4v4 feels like BTB. Just running or crossing the map while fighting, since you can't sprint at the same time, makes it take forever to get around now. lets pull back a bit to somewhere in the middle. Sprinting is too fast and running is too slow but they're not as bad as they were before i guess? Ok now lets look at thrust... ground pound... clamber..... crap, there is this combo thing that can make you fly fuck fuck fuck.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mikwen said:

Is it safe for me to be here?

Would certainly hope so.

While watching the multiplayer gameplay, I noticed that there was one piece of Equipment not shown. Is Thruster not there?

5 hours ago, Mikwen said:

Is it safe for me to be here?

Don't worry, the Lockdown stalactites can't reach you here

• Simms (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TheSimms said:

Depends if you let them put grenade hit markers in the game or not.

Damn I literally came here to say this

Logically i don't understand why 343 makes the changes they make to Halo. You would think as a new developer Microsoft told them too pick up where Halo 3 left off. I mean that's literally all they had to do.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rdispushedback said:

Logically i don't understand why 343 makes the changes they make to Halo. You would think as a new developer Microsoft told them too pick up where Halo 3 left off. I mean that's literally all they had to do.

Its pretty simple they're a bunch of creative people who wanted to make video games. It would be very hard to direct and control them at the level it would take to make them recreate a classic experience and not just have people quit immediately once they stuck around long enough to put it on a resume. I'm sure for a lot of them it still sucks working on Halo since that puts them in a box on some level still

1 minute ago, Rdispushedback said:

Logically i don't understand

mmmhmmm

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 3

You have to think and I feel like- all the ideas 343 makes were probably ideas Bungie tested or came across when they were developing Halo and scrstched them. I seriously doubt they didnt. (Flagnum.. Thruster.. Groundpound. Etc) Because they don't work.

Theres no way Microsoft told them to make changes to core Halo. I'm not sure why they would hand Halo over to a new deceloper and say do as you want. Not with a game like Halo.

• Thonking (+0) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 1

What did you think of the Repulsor jump?  @1:33

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

What did you think of the Repulsor jump?  @1:33

All for it. It beats clamber and I like the idea of the equipment having different uses. 

1 hour ago, Rdispushedback said:

All they had to do to what?

13 minutes ago, xSociety said:

All for it. It beats clamber and I like the idea of the equipment having different uses. 

Why do you think the video cuts away between Repulsing the overcharged PP projectile and the headshot?  Perhaps the overcharge shot is supposed to track the player who fired it after being repulsed but they haven’t coded that in yet.  @0:16

What equipment is being activated/deployed here?  @3:05

3 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Why do you think the video cuts away between Repulsing the overcharged PP projectile and the headshot?  Perhaps the overcharge shot is supposed to track the player who fired it after being repulsed but they haven’t coded that in yet.  @0:16

What equipment is being activated/deployed here?  @3:05

Don't they just cut to one of the third person shots between those two clips in the actual video those cuts come from?

2 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

Don't they just cut to one of the third person shots between those two clips in the actual video those cuts come from?

Oh yeah probably.  

The second clip in the second video shows the player targeting the enemy’s chest for a 1 shot kill.  More evidence of weapons having different damage multipliers for different body parts.  

I just thought.

They'll probably do anything to sprint, nerf the living shit out of it, probably even make it 1.01x faster than base movement speed, but they'll have it in just to appease the masses and keep the immersive factor. 

Sprinting is a fine mechanic for shooters it just doesn't jive with halo. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Mr Grim said:

Sprinting is a fine mechanic for shooters in just doesn't jive with halo. 

It’s the combination of sprint and ads that is so restrictive.  You have to enter a dedicated movement mode or a dedicated aiming mode and you can’t do both at once.  These tunnel vision mechanics force risk/reward in a manner that compresses the skill gap because even good players will get caught sprinting and can’t immediately return accurate fire.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Sprinting is a fine mechanic for shooters in just doesn't jive with halo. 

Exactly. In games like CoD and Battlefield you can just easily kill a guy that's sprinting in like half a second. In a game like Halo where the enemy can just sprint through your shots and get around a corner or back to his team, and you have to stop shooting to move as fast as him, it will never work. Hopefully it's impact on Infinite is as minor as possible, but there's no denying it will still have an overall negative impact on the game. 

• Like (+1) 2