CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 minute ago, TheSimms said:

Depends if you let them put grenade hit markers in the game or not.

FACTS

• Like (+1) 2

Expectations were near zero going into this weekend but I'm legit excited for Infinite.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, TheSimms said:

Depends if you let them put grenade hit markers in the game or not.

Why do you think the HUD was disabled in the trailer?  

1 minute ago, heytred said:

Expectations were near zero going into this weekend but I'm legit excited for Infinite.

Same here dude. While it's not classic Halo, never was going to be, it seems like the next best thing. They took H5 and fixed all the major issues with it, obviously Sprint still sucks but yeah.

The big question now to me is MAPS, how good are they and FORGE. Will forge allow us to make amazing maps and will 343 be quick to add the best ones into the rotation. So, the excitement is there, it just still has some caveats.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 3

1 minute ago, xSociety said:

The big question now to me is MAPS

The ones designed around sprint and grapple?  They’re great, not wide open spaces filled with lazy cover over generic blockouts.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Boyo said:

The ones designed around sprint and grapple?  They’re great, not wide open spaces filled with lazy cover over generic blockouts.  

The guy who's probably floated the idea of jetpacks with portal making capabilities while wearing roller blades in Halo is worried about a grapple hook as a pickup? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 3
  • Toxic (+1) 3
  • Hooked 2

12 minutes ago, xSociety said:

Same here dude. While it's not classic Halo, never was going to be, it seems like the next best thing. They took H5 and fixed all the major issues with it, obviously Sprint still sucks but yeah.

The big question now to me is MAPS, how good are they and FORGE. Will forge allow us to make amazing maps and will 343 be quick to add the best ones into the rotation. So, the excitement is there, it just still has some caveats.

It seems more like halo than 5 was. I wanna know more about how the sandbox is balanced and how the maps are before I say for sure though.

3 minutes ago, xSociety said:

The guy who's probably floated the idea of jetpacks with portal making capabilities while wearing roller blades in Halo is worried about a grapple hook at a pickup? 

My point was simply that these long range movement enhancers like Sprint and Grappling Hook do not promote what I would consider good map design.  All my movement enhancers are short range.  Giving everyone unlimited sprint off spawn makes player movement feel more like a car racing game, moving forward while turning left and right.  This type of player behavior negatively influences arena map design. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Mr Grim said:

It seems more like halo than 5 was. I wanna know more about how the sandbox is balanced and how the maps are before I say for sure though.

For sure. I didn't mean to say it'll play like 5 at all. More like how when 5 came out we would make lists of things they should change, they listened to an extent.

Infinite seems like a fun time for me and my friends. 

I think the most difference you will see for the HCS settings will be starting weapons, radar off and of course map pickups.  There is no way they will change the base player traits in any way.  Removing sprint is a non-starter, and the fact that you don't spawn with cracked out abilities and the strafe looks good already means there is really no need to change anything in that regard anyway. Coming into a playlist where you have to learn the different map elements and whatnot is pretty standard stuff players are used to.  Having to re-acclimate yourself to the way your character actually feels to play is an issue they wont want to deal with, and frankly i don't either.

I hope the primary differences will be precision-starts only, radar off and map pickups placed and timed in a way that there is this tick-toc effect where every 2 or 3 minutes teams have to decide between items that are respawning at the same time. Precision starts and radar off are a no brainer.  The hard part of the implementation will be the map elements and gametypes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Botheredhat360 said:

Wait wait wait wait wait

Is grapple a base mechanic or a pick up?????

I always thought it was a pick up..... 

sorry double post.

Its 100% a pickup.  People are losing their minds how much it can be cheesed, because it absolutely can, but it's totally something that if its a problem can be removed or reduced or edited.  I'm not particularly worried about any of the items frankly because none of them will have nearly the effect that changing base character traits did in Reach+.  As long as 343 stays on top of their shit, balance updates should be a regular thing.  And yes im aware this hasn't exactly been their strong suit in the past but i also think its bad practice to base and opinion on an assumption that that trend will continue.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Apoll0 said:

sorry double post.

Its 100% a pickup.  People are losing their minds how much it can be cheesed, because it absolutely can, but it's totally something that if its a problem can be removed or reduced or edited.  I'm not particularly worried about any of the items frankly because none of them effect the base character.  As long as 343 stays on top of their shit, balance updates should be a regular thing.  And yes im aware this hasn't exactly been their strong suit in the past but i also think its bad practice to base and opinion on an assumption that that trend will continue.

oh thank god

if that shit was a base mechanic there would seriously be no point of making a map in the first place.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Botheredhat360 said:

oh thank god

if that shit was a base mechanic there would seriously be no point of making a map in the first place.

exactly.  if its something that you have to earn off the map a few times a game and breaks the geometry for 30 seconds at a time for 1 or 2/8 players, well then you earned that from the map and they don't really need to totally design the entire map around it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Apoll0 said:

exactly.  if its something that you have to earn off the map a few times a game and breaks the geometry for 30 seconds at a time for 1 or 2/8 players, well then you earned that from the map and they don't really need to totally design the entire map around it.

Yeah but it might be a bit too powerful cuz now you're pulling power weapons from all over the place. 

If headshot multipliers are a thing, then faster TTK will be based partially on skill which is obviously a good thing. Also, I haven't seen it 100% confirmed because I've been gone for a while but it really does look like there's no delay between canceling sprint and shooting your weapon. If that's the case, the main problem with sprint as a mechanic is fixed.

2 minutes ago, PolyG said:

It still 100% has an effect on map design

We'll just have to wait and see. 

I mean was High Ground built around gav-lift? Yeah kinda, but it wasn't a big deal. 

When every ability is a limited resource map pickup, do you design each map around every single ability? or do you design the best map you can and place the items that make sense onto it?  I would say the latter is the right way to go.

Obviously you might stick a thing here or there that works with a particular item but they're not going to be designing the ENTIRE map around it like you are required to do with sprint and thrust and shit like that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Ethereal Nights said:

If headshot multipliers are a thing, then faster TTK will be based partially on skill which is obviously a good thing. Also, I haven't seen it 100% confirmed because I've been gone for a while but it really does look like there's no delay between canceling sprint and shooting your weapon. If that's the case, the main problem with sprint as a mechanic is fixed.

There are other issues with sprinting that are worse than that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Apoll0 said:

When every ability is a limited resource map pickup, do you design each map around every single ability? or do you design the best map you can and place the items that make sense onto it?  I would say the latter is the right way to go.

Do you think they have the sandbox figured out before they start designing the maps?  Ideally, you would have the sandbox done before you started designing maps for it but I don’t think that’s the case.  

Just now, Mr Grim said:

Map design.  

1 minute ago, Mr Grim said:

Uh, no there aren't. Having your gun pointed at the ground and not being able to shoot your weapon is the absolute worst part of sprint.

"But map design!"

Shooting your gun is the most important core part of Halo, especially in competitive play. So nah, map design is not more important than being able to do the most fundamental interaction in a Halo game.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

@Ethereal Nights When sprint is a base ability, it affects more than map design.  Aim assist values, splash damage radius, projectile speed.  While I do agree with you that shooting is the most important part, sprint still affects shooting by affecting all those values.  

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Ethereal Nights said:

Uh, no there aren't. Having your gun pointed at the ground and not being able to shoot your weapon is the absolute worst part of sprint.

"But map design!"

Shooting your gun is the most important core part of Halo, especially in competitive play. So nah, map design is not more important than being able to do the most fundamental interaction in a Halo game.

The fact that you can't shoot at top speed is a breaking point of halo as well. 

• Upvote (+1) 2