1 hour ago, NAK said:

how he wants to bone the computer voice inside of his head

But that's the most relatable part...

• Simms (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RatherSilentMr said:

snip

I think I agree with you. I'm not committed to assuming anything about the strafe because we've quite literally all thought the strafe looked better in every game post H3 during the initial first mp footage hype. I do think the removal of spartan charges, ground pounds and thrust is a very positive step forward and something I'm happy about. From watching the footage I would easily place this game above any of the 343 titles before it because of all of the stuff that I don't see. They definitely 343'd the OS pickup but you know I didn't see any of the stuff mentioned above nor any of the bullshit from H4 or Reach nor any flagnums. I think it will be better even if there will be some things that aren't great

• Like (+1) 4

41 minutes ago, RatherSilentMr said:

I have fully accepted that I will go though a honeymoon phase. Sprint grinds my gears. So does Clamber.  But dropping thrust for a good strafe is HUGE in my book. 

Not to mention spartan charge and ground pound are out!

If this game has decent hit boxes and hit reg, how is it not already loads better than Halo 5 or Halo 4?   Even equipment being a pickup is better than Reach's loadouts and god awful Bloom that it launched with.  Equipment will promote map movement.

To me this game already seems like it will be better than Halo 5, Halo 4, and Halo Reach.  Maybe I'm just caught up in the hype. 

Yar tbh I didn't like the thrust, it was skillful but added a bit of rando' ness to the strafing. Like I dont know about most people but I didnt like dudes running around a corner and then thrusting back behind it to stop getting killed. 

Grapple is going to 100% be abused though, no matter what. 

3 hours ago, RatherSilentMr said:

Petition to make this a new reaction option for posts from certain folks.  

TwmDCXX.jpg

Great idea! We need more Cortana.

I'm still shocked that 343 removed thrust so quickly, likely because of critical analysis on their part. I always thought thruster actively hurt strafe but I didn't think 343 would realize it. Like, it definitely wasn't from complaints, I don't remember too many avid fans wanting it out, yet they can't remove sprint even though it's definitely more hated than thruster.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, RatherSilentMr said:

To me this game already seems like it will be better than Halo 5, Halo 4, and Halo Reach.  Maybe I'm just caught up in the hype. 

I'm with you. If this game has excellent aiming, hitreg and magnetism isn't stupid it looks like it could be a great social shooter.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RatherSilentMr said:

It probably is, but that's not exactly a high bar. We also still don't know if the typical 343 shenanigans will come back to haunt us: Matchmaking, map quality, can we actually aim this time around, barebones launch etc. Things look ok-ish so far, but the same was true after the H4 and MCC reveal and we all know how those turned out.

You know, according to Buddhism, the main source of suffering is desire and attachment to things. The path to happiness and alleviation from suffering is to detach oneself from one’s desires of the material world. So if you want to be happy, stop wanting Halo to go back to its roots. It’s never going to happen, and you’ll be unhappy for nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SpitFlame said:

You know, according to Buddhism, the main source of suffering is desire and attachment to things. The path to happiness and alleviation from suffering is to detach oneself from one’s desires of the material world. So if you want to be happy, stop wanting Halo to go back to its roots. It’s never going to happen, and you’ll be unhappy for nothing.

Send glitter bombs to every person in 343, got it.

• Simms (+1) 4
  • Toxic (+1) 2

4 hours ago, SoldatDuChrist said:

"pick up frag grenade" @ 1:38 

thats strange?

At 1 minute exact, you can see the same prompt for a spike grenade.

I noticed that weapon pickups now specify damage type. Good for casuals, I suppose. If those arbitrary icons would mean anything to them.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SoldatDuChrist said:

"pick up frag grenade" @ 1:38 

thats strange?

You can only hold two grenade types. If you have Frags and Plasmas, you'll need to replace one of them for Spikes and Electrics.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

1.6 sec TTK for the BR is awful, with or without advanced movement.

Its faster..

You dont understand the concept of TTK times.

Faster only means the gun acts as a power weapon.

4sk opens the door for a balanced game.

Yeah 3sk is more powerful. 3 is faster then 4.

With the 4sk weapons become more relevant to how the game is played. Like power weapon control sniper Rockets etc all play their roll alongside the utility for a complete experience.

With the ttk alongside the mechanics 4sk has the better ttk and is the best option.

• Downvote (-1) 7
  • WutFace (+0) 2

8 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

I'm still kind of peeved that 343 hasn't stuck by their decision to kill off Cortana. Just let her be dead.

If it replaces that annoying AF dude from the reveal trailer last year, i'm all for it.

7 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

I actually think there is some future potential for the removal of sprint because they keep slowing it down or nerfing it in some way in every game. 

Yeah i don't think thats ever going to happen.  This game appears to have the smallest delta between sprint and run speed we have seen. I don't think its going to get more nerfed than that.  With slower sprint and no slide-thrust component this will have the most proper base movement speed since Halo 3.  Not saying its ideal, but its realistically the best we are ever going to get.

8 hours ago, NAK said:

I'm fine with it as long as they stop fucking around with her character one way or another. Either let her be dead or have this 2.0 version of her be our AI assistant for the next 10+ years, but either way they should pick something and stick to it. 

Find something else in the Universe to tell a story about besides Master Chief, his "humanity," and how he wants to bone the computer voice inside of his head. Not sure anyone besides a very small group has every played Halo for that part of the story. And they'd be smart to resolve that thread within the first few hours and move on. 

I never took it that he wanted to bang her personally.  Me on the other hand....lol

Seriously, its not a requirement that intimate male/female relationships be inherently romantic/sexual.  In fact I think that is one of the worst tropes in all of storytelling, regardless of media.  Sometimes it makes sense in a story, but more often than not its just convenient audience pandering.  That's one of the reasons i like The Expanse so much, they don't fall into that trap (among many other things).

21 minutes ago, Rdispushedback said:

Its faster..

You dont understand the concept of TTK times.

Faster only means the gun acts as a power weapon.

4sk opens the door for a balanced game.

Yeah 3sk is more powerful. 3 is faster then 4.

With the 4sk weapons become more relevant to how the game is played. Like power weapon control sniper Rockets etc all play their roll alongside the utility for a complete experience.

With the ttk alongside the mechanics 4sk is the best ttk.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.... Its not faster... 4sk is NOT a ttk.  ttk is time to kill.  The literal time in seconds it takes to kill someone. You can have a balanced game (almost) regardless of the shots to kill as long as the time to kill is correct across the sandbox.

• Like (+1) 4

47 minutes ago, Rdispushedback said:

With the ttk alongside the mechanics 4sk is the best ttk.

Number of shots to kill is not TTK. 4sk is not TTK. 

1.6 seconds is a TTK. You can have a 4sk gun with a TTK of 1.6 seconds, 1 second, 0.6 seconds, whatever. 

The H3 BR's TTK was 1.6 seconds - the exact same TTK as the infinite BR. Why are H3 TTKs good in a game where everyone can sprint away to safety? 

• Like (+1) 8

24 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Yeah i don't think thats ever going to happen.  This game appears to have the smallest delta between sprint and run speed we have seen. I don't think its going to get more nerfed than that.  With slower sprint and no slide-thrust component this will have the most proper base movement speed since Halo 3.  Not saying its ideal, but its realistically the best we are ever going to get.

I was going to say this, I don't know if there's anything like a windup mechanic with the sprinting but from the clips they've shown the base movement speed looks decent and the sprint speed barely looks 10-15% quicker. Maybe 'flag running' slows you down but there's a clip where the sprinting flag player is barely creating distance.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

1.6 seconds is a TTK. You can have a 4sk gun with a TTK of 1.6 seconds, 1 second, 0.6 seconds, whatever. 

The H3 BR's TTK was 1.6 seconds - the exact same TTK as the infinite BR. Why are H3 TTKs good in a game where everyone can sprint away to safety? 

Sprint is an issue of its own and shouldn't be discussed in a competitive Halo discussion.

• Downvote (-1) 5
  • Thonking (+0) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 3

4 minutes ago, Rdispushedback said:

Sprint is an issue of its own and shouldn't be discussed in a competitive Halo discussion.

Saying you shouldn't discuss sprint in relation to the TTK is like saying you shouldn't discuss peanut butter in relation to jelly in a thread about sandwiches. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rdispushedback said:

Your argument is that H3's TTKs work best with the game's mechanics (at least I think? I'm not even sure you know what you were arguing about). 

343 has forced Sprint into halo as a base mechanic. Why are H3 TTKs good for mechanics like sprint?

You say COD is a better competitive game than modern Halo. Should modern Halo have COD TTKs since we have COD mechanics like sprint? 

20 minutes ago, Hully said:

Saying you shouldn't discuss sprint in relation to the TTK is like saying you shouldn't discuss peanut butter in relation to jelly in a thread about sandwiches. 

No grown adult consumes jelly, do they?

54 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

To play devils advocate, one of the many reasons H3 BR feels slow is hit reg and net code, if those things are solved in Infinite the average Kill time will be lower. A 4shot is pretty fast but in H3 due to network is almost always 5shots

1 minute ago, iCUBANEX said:

To play devils advocate, one of the many reasons H3 BR feels slow is hit reg and net code, if those things are solved in Infinite the average Kill time will be lower. A 4shot is pretty fast but in H3 due to network is almost always 5shots

I think you could make that argument if we didn't have as many defensive abilities like sprint (and I'd still disagree with you). 

I argue that TTKs need to be sped way up to counter player's retreat potential that comes with advanced movement. I don't think a COD game with Halo TTKs would be well received, and I think Halo's population has been in the gutter for a decade because players don't like feeling powerless, pumping shots into opponents' backs as they sprint away to safety. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, careh said:

I was going to say this, I don't know if there's anything like a windup mechanic with the sprinting but from the clips they've shown the base movement speed looks decent and the sprint speed barely looks 10-15% quicker. Maybe 'flag running' slows you down but there's a clip where the sprinting flag player is barely creating distance.

Exactly.  They won't slow sprint down more than is noticeable to players, which is probably like 10%.  As much as I want them to just make it be an animation with no speed difference to shut people up, even the "sprint gives me a boner" people would see through it. 10% speed boost plus increased FoV plus some "wooshy" FX will give people that can't think objectively about the negatives of sprint the zoomy button they crave to smash with probably the smallest impact to the game that we can reasonably expect.

That's all super disappointing but I think if you still haven't managed to make peace with the fact that sprint isn't going anywhere, you have bigger problems.  I will ALWAYS take the side that no-sprint is better, because well, it is.  Lets be real this is a war we have lost, but if what sprint looks like in these demo's ends up being the reality, we will have won a few battles along the way.

I do think that 343 understands sprint is detrimental because they tried to nerf it to hell with all kinds of "more intelligent solutions" in H5, which failed miserably just like "more intelligent matchmaking" has failed when the simpler solution (hard party restrictions) just works.  Looks like for Infinite they have taken the simpler and objectively better approach of just slowing it down as much as they can without risking crying from the casual whales. Disappointing they don't have bigger balls to just cut it out entirely, but like i said lets be realistic with our expectations.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

I think you could make that argument if we didn't have as many defensive abilities like sprint (and I'd still disagree with you). 

I argue that TTKs need to be sped way up to counter player's retreat potential that comes with advanced movement. I don't think a COD game with Halo TTKs would be well received, and I think Halo's population has been in the gutter for a decade because players don't like feeling powerless, pumping shots into opponents' backs as they sprint away to safety. 

Your arguing for the utility to act as a powerweapon. Grab a sniper.

Powerful weapons need to be fought for.

• Downvote (-1) 7
  • WutFace (+0) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1