CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

11 minutes ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

So they're making the multiplayer free and still charging full price for the game? It sounds like their basically doing what they do in the MCC for unlockables but now you get to pay for it. I don't see how this benefits anyone but MS unless I'm understanding this wrong.

Hey, just buy the gamepass for one month, play the campaign, and continue playing multiplayer for however long you want, since you don't need to pay for that. I don't see anything wrong here honestly, especially if the campaign is so expansive as they make it to be. The only difference here is, part of the game is free to play.

Only question I have is, if the theatre and forge will be part of the free to play version 

• Like (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

So they're making the multiplayer free and still charging full price for the game? It sounds like their basically doing what they do in the MCC for unlockables but now you get to pay for it. I don't see how this benefits anyone but MS unless I'm understanding this wrong.

Lmao welcome to what happens when people realize you'll pay more for less

• Fire (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1

43 minutes ago, Hemlax said:

Hey, just buy the gamepass for one month, play the campaign, and continue playing multiplayer for however long you want, since you don't need to pay for that. I don't see anything wrong here honestly, especially if the campaign is so expansive as they make it to be. The only difference here is, part of the game is free to play.

Only question I have is, if the theatre and forge will be part of the free to play version 

If there's some sort of Firefight and the campaign is actually lengthy (and I don't mean with Ubisoft tower padding bullshit) paying full price for single player is fine with me. We'll see if that's the case, though.

27 minutes ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

If there's some sort of Firefight and the campaign is actually lengthy (and I don't mean with Ubisoft tower padding bullshit) paying full price for single player is fine with me. We'll see if that's the case, though.

If the Ai, sandbox and different encounters in campaign are good, the game doesn't even have to be that long.

23 minutes ago, Botheredhat360 said:

HALO] Fans React to World Champs Venue | ESPORTS SOURCE

Dude, that's 2023, 2022 will be better.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Avenger said:

343 will never learn people. Sooner this game flops the sooner we get new devs. Maybe if we're lucky we will get a real Halo in a year or 2. 

Well I'm planning to not spend a single penny on this game. 

• Like (+1) 5

10 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

I'm also a bit worried about how exactly the timers work with power ups that you can wander around with before activation. 

Just as a thought experiment do you just pick up the OS at 2:00 and play super passive then pop it at 2:25 to get the 2:30 rockets? Can you hold it for so long that another OS spawns? etc I feel like this could bring power ups into being part of the problem on stagnant maps rather than allowing them to function as a "fix" for it

This is my primary concern with it.  Will you be forced to use it by the time the next one comes up or will it expire?  I wouldn't be opposed to it having like a 90 second timer where it activates automatically or some shit.  I don't thing this is going to be as game-breaking as people are assuming, but i still don't like it because its yet another one of those changes for the sake of change.  It's different, but I don't see how it positively impacts the game so why do it? When we ask for innovation through the sandbox, changing HOW the sandbox works is not what we're talking about.

All that said, there is really no way to know the extent that it could break the game until we're probably a month into launch.  I just don't have confidence that the playtesters at 343 will have put in hours just trying as hard as they can to abuse every new thing and see how much it pisses off other players.  You really need a large population of people playing all the time, discovering the meta, then to have that trickle down before it really starts to become apparent just how game breaking something might be.  Hopefully, if that happens, they'll be able/willing to correct it.

9 hours ago, Botheredhat360 said:

Why does every dev have a huge boner for grapple hooks

They may have boners, but i doubt they are "huge".

8 hours ago, vembress said:

what's the difference between this happening and him simply turning around and killing you with rockets? they're both on the map ffs. your team was gonna lose anyways if someone can hold on os for that long without having been forced to use it already. 

now that i think about it more, having os in your pocket definitely isn't gonna be visible like a rocket is. 

It is.  There is a light trail that follows you and the object is visible on your back. Whether or not that will be enough given all the other concerns though, we'll have to see.

6 hours ago, VinnyMendoza said:

If you have to earn the grapple as a map pickup then I don't have a problem with it being abused to gain advantages. 

Yeah this is going to depend entirely on how many uses it has or how long it lasts.  If its infinite with just a cooldown, then we have a problem.  If you get like 3 pulls with it (giggiddy) then it will probably be fine.  The thing is, I have 0 problem with a powerup that totally breaks the map for 30 seconds at a time or whatever.  I know we're obsessed with breaking map design around here, as we should be, but there is a huge difference between everybody spawning with multiple things that break the map and having them at their disposal all game long and a thing that comes up a few times a game that gives a single person that ability for a limited duration. Its also easy to limit how many are on the map or increase/decrease the spawn time or number of uses compared to totally changing the base spawn mechanics of every player all the time.

I also think some people waaaaaaaay overestimate how much they actually use team color to know who to shoot at.  Halo already has all you need to know, regardless of team color. Between RR, your teammates having a hud element over them all the time and the enemy never having a hud element, its really not hard. Heck if you have half-decent awareness of where your team is, you know everybody else is a target. I would bet that if you turned the saturation on your monitor way down so it's grayscale or turn on the "night reading" mode that makes everything sepia you wouldn't really have a problem.  I might try that tonight actually.

Think about it, if you play a few games in a row as red team, then play a game as blue team how often do you mistakenly shoot your own teammates?  Or if you are playing multi-team as yellow team, do you ever have a problem knowing you need to kill red and blue and green?  Add the hud elements plus the bright af outline it's going to make it more than obvious even for the dumbest among us who you should and shouldn't be shooting.  There are plenty of games that use this system these days and its totally fine.

We also talk around here (well at least @Hard Wayand I do regularly) that throwing a bone to the casual players that care more about what things look like and have no impact on gameplay whatsoever is a positive thing overall for the game.  If making player customization visible entices the whales to spend more money than is reasonable on microtransactions so that we can have a game that gets continually updated, that's a win for everybody. Same theory as changing the spawn weapon from a pistol to a DMR, if they're functionally the same and it shuts up the casual players its a good thing.  Same gameplay for us, less complaining from the casual players, gives more bandwidth for people that actually know shit about how the gameplay itself works to get the message through.

• Upvote (+1) 4

38 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I don't understand why any of you are so mad. 

• Your feedback here has never mattered to 343.
  • Since Halo Reach, Halo has not had a single millisecond hinting a return to its classic roots.
  • The 2020 reveal clearly showed features like sprint, clamber and grapplehook yet somehow some of you seem surprised these are in mulitplayer? Like... are you stupid?

If you held any hope this would be a classic Halo game you've been living in a dream world. Come back to Earth. If you've hated everything 343 have done or have disliked Halo since Halo 2 or 3, go find something you do like and enjoy yourself. Why come back to just be angry?

I honestly believe most of the people have long dealt with the fact we won't be getting another classic formula Halo. They just want a solid game. But 343 has proven over and over again, they are just not capable of that. There is always something going terribly wrong, something missing and so on. People are tired of that and they are showing their disappointment in different ways. It's just that. Give them solid Halo esque game, enough content, a game where you can fucking aim. Not a five years long beta. And they will be mostly happy and go with it.

It's not just the bitter, salty people on Beyond. Noone wants to play those experiments 343 is throwing at us. Full of fancy new things that are absolutely not thought out, scrapping for players from other franchises by implementing things that don't work in their game. And if some people are still playing it past the first year, it's the same angry, bitter, salty Halo fans, that just want a game they can enjoy without dealing with bullshit on every step they make.

• Like (+1) 7

7 hours ago, The Tyco said:

Yall need to come up with less weak as fuck arguments against player highlighting, because this is the most baseless, petty as fuck complaint I've seen here.

How is it baseless and petty? We all know the reason why they did that.

19 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

How is it baseless and petty? We all know the reason why they did that.

Sure but it's also something that will not have an impact on actual gameplay either.  We shouldn't care either way.  Let the whales be enticed to buy their purple shoulder pads or whatever the fuck and pay for the game so its worthwhile to keep updating it.  I'll just go play arena and pretend the store doesn't exist. I get to play a game, they get to play dress up and it doesn't need to affect me one bit unless i let it.

• Like (+1) 6

46 minutes ago, Hemlax said:

I honestly believe most of the people have long dealt with the fact we won't be getting another classic formula Halo. They just want a solid game. But 343 has proven over and over again, they are just not capable of that. There is always something going terribly wrong, something missing and so on. People are tired of that and they are showing their disappointment in different ways. It's just that. Give them solid Halo esque game, enough content, a game where you can fucking aim. Not a five years long beta. And they will be mostly happy and go with it.

It's not just the bitter, salty people on Beyond. Noone wants to play those experiments 343 is throwing at us. Full of fancy new things that are absolutely not thought out, scrapping for players from other franchises by implementing things that don't work in their game. And if some people are still playing it past the first year, it's the same angry, bitter, salty Halo fans, that just want a game they can enjoy without dealing with bullshit on every step they make.

Have I ever told you the definition of insanity?

I can tell some of you went in without significantly lowered expectations. 

The Good:

• Strafe looks like the best we've seen in a Halo game, better than or equal to that of H2. 
  • The precision weapons - Sidekick, BR, and the SCAR-H ripoff, all require a high degree of precision with shots. If what they showed off in the MP Overview yesterday wasn't total bullshit, then shooting in Infinite is gonna make H3 look like H2A. Fairly happy here.
  • Sprint's in but the lower sprint velocity makes it such that it's not the only option for efficient map traversal like in H5. You're not at as big of a disadvantage by sprinting less. 
  • It looks like sliding out of sprint is gonna be the norm, rather than sprinting alone. I'm okay with this. 
  • The Bulldog does definitively take more precision to use than any of it's predecessors, despite how spammy it is. 
  • The Pulse Carbine fires projectiles slow enough to not be a pain in the ass at ridiculous ranges. 
  • The gravhammer doesn't look pitifully weak, for what it counts.
  • The BR reticle looks significantly better.
  • Razorback is cool, albeit somewhat niche. 
  • The Sidekick's basically guaranteed to be a 5-7SK, and this could be tuned in HCS settings.

The Bad:

• Grapple's too powerful. Mobility aside, being able to grab power weapons and equipment from a distance is extremely bad. Hopefully you can only grapple weapons that aren't on their spawn position. Grappling onto enemies is busted too, your aim doesn't have to be accurate at all to grapple onto someone. 
  • The AR is a fucking laser beam. Worse, it looks like it completely outmatches the BR in CQC. 
  • Magnetism looks fairly low, but aim assist looks heavy. 
  • OS and Camo becoming use-on-demand equipment. Seriously, fucking why? Nobody ever asked for this. I can't even be confident about this being taken out because it'd require them to redesign Camo and OS.  
  • The repulsor thing is cool but I don't want it to be able to fucking shove other players around. It's annoying for basically every gametype, especially flag and ball.  
  • Basically no information on ranked modes, ranked settings, map offerings, spawn weapons, ranking system etc. Not too worried about this because they'll probably address it in some Q&A session or an Inside Infinite update within a month or two. 

Was definitely more negative about this one, but it's way too premature to say anything. Gonna wait for a Q&A and try to get them to answer.

I think it's safe to assume that they're gonna be doing BR starts for ranked, though I can't confidently say whether they'll shove in ARs, Radar and Equipment. It took them 2 years to learn their lessons in H5, I hope to god they don't have to relearn them this time.

Beta flights are this summer, so it shouldn't be too long before we can see people playing the actual game. I'll wait till then (or till something equivalently concrete shows up) to make any further judgement.

• Upvote (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, SpitFlame said:

Have I ever told you the definition of insanity?

Feel free to enlighten me.

3 minutes ago, Hemlax said:

Feel free to enlighten me.

It’s doing the same thing, over and over again, expecting a different result. That is crazy.

3 minutes ago, SpitFlame said:

It’s doing the same thing, over and over again, expecting a different result. That is crazy.

I know what you mean. But you can't call ppl crazy when they hope for better. Or generally expecting a good game.

9 hours ago, Avenger said:

343 will never learn people. Sooner this game flops the sooner we get new devs. Maybe if we're lucky we will get a real Halo in a year or 2. 

MCC launched without functioning multiplayer and still doesn't deliver on what it promised. MCC brought lots of bad press to 343 and MS with no visible backlash besides Dan Ayoub getting a new job at MS. 343 is here to stay. 

1 hour ago, Botheredhat360 said:

Well I'm planning to not spend a single penny on this game. 

I geniunely wonder how many people on TB said this about H5 and still got it. Good for you if you stick to your guns but don't hold out hope that enough people will follow. Not trying to be an ass about it but even if the entire TB Halo forum section didn't buy anything Halo, it would still do well enough with microtransactions from whales. 

8 hours ago, NavG123 said:

To appease man-children who care more about "player expression" than playing the fucking game.

You sound like a man-child complaining about something that in the overall game, doesn't matter. At all. Teams will still be distinguishable and you better believe I'm gonna have my spartan looking rad as hell while grapple hooking around 4 shotting randoms online.

This isn't the hill to die on.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

• Since Halo Reach, Halo has not had a single millisecond hinting a return to its classic roots.
  • The 2020 reveal clearly showed features like sprint, clamber and grapplehook yet somehow some of you seem surprised these are in mulitplayer? Like... are you stupid?

If you held any hope this would be a classic Halo game you've been living in a dream world. Come back to Earth. If you've hated everything 343 have done or have disliked Halo since Halo 2 or 3, go find something you do like and enjoy yourself. Why come back to just be angry?

Yeah I'm a bit puzzled by some of the posts going around. Some people getting so heated they come back to the forum after years of inactivity and start dropping C bombs. Like come on, what the fuck were you actually expecting the game to be? And maybe those expectations are the real issue and not the content of the game.

I went into the Infinite reveal with veeery little expectations and left pleasantly surprised by some of the things I saw, It's just kinda hard to get a word in and have a decent discussion with people who actually liked some of what they saw when the whole forum is up in arms about entirely predictable things that are in the game.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, OG Nick said:

MCC launched without functioning multiplayer and still doesn't deliver on what it promised. MCC brought lots of bad press to 343 and MS with no visible backlash besides Dan Ayoub getting a new job at MS. 343 is here to stay. 

There'll come to a point where MS will realize they can't keep spending millions on this franchise for the fraction of what they were doing with Bungie. 

I think if feedback never mattered to 343 the Storm Rifle in H5 would've never been nerfed, and Infinite would probably still be sprint+thrust+slide as the optimal was to move fast. 

Honestly, this is closer to a "Classic" halo than I was expecting. Even after the 2020 reveal.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

It's not what I was hoping for, but it was what I expected.

It does look like it could be fun, though.  Free to play means I'll give it a shot no matter how I think I'll like it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Nah son thats where youre wrong. We did have 1 year of classic halo in between halo4 and halo 5. The problem was it was an incomplete and broken game that the majorityy couldnt play if they wanted to. 

Also holy shit i came here on mobile in the first time in years and this site has video popup ads every reload. 

To say that there is zero classic feel and 343 never listens to any feedback is clearly wrong based on what we’ve seen and been told. Is it a “pure” classic Halo? Of course not and it never was going to be, but it’s honestly looking like a better mix than I was expecting. We’ll see how the game plays and what the arena settings are like and can judge the competitive merit then, but I expect it to be better than the constant hyperbole on this forum suggests. The biggest change we should be worried about is how quickly 343 can update the game and settings post-launch given how long it took for H5 to be refined.