CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

6 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Imagine holding onto this despite 14 years of it never happening, no evidence of it going to happen and not even a rumour it's going to happen. I've been in denial before but that is a whole new level. You'd have to almost want to be disappointed and angry to be that deep.

Meanwhile I'm thinking about bots in forge or setting up 4v16 vs bots CTF challenge.

Yea that's my point. Most people have moved on. Sure there are things we like/dislike, but you kind of just have to evolve with these titles. 

I get people still hate things like Sprint, but seeing people using the inclusion of sprint as a reason they won't pick this game up (given sprints been in every title since reach and we know they AREN'T going to remove it) is mind blowing to me lol.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Reveal was obviously cut together to be flashy and build hype, will have to see some unedited gameplay.

Overall I was okay with what we saw, wasn’t wowed, but was disappointed/offended. The new equipment looks a lot better designed than H3 equipment, and if it’s sucks we can just remove it anyway. Art style is really nice, actually looks like a Halo game, not 343is H4/H5 art style.

Really gotta see the player movement of this game. I was hoping that the H5 Mythic settings would be a direction infinite would go, but alas sprint remains and it seems thrust is gone? Kinda seems they are doing a hybrid of classic Halo and Halo 5? Halo 5 I think was actually a pretty good game (aside from the garbage aim) I prefer classic Halo, but I enjoyed H5s movement. My worry is infinite movement will be more like Reach and H4 again, which was utter garbage. Also hoping that aiming in the game takes skill and isn’t stupidly easy like in H2A and H4. Pistol I think is a better competitive utility than the BR.

Hopefully tomorrow’s video provides us with more bits of longer gameplay. Also curious to see the customization options. They say this is Halo for the next decade, you gotta hope Infinite will have the most vast customization we’ve seen, and allow us to create the style of Halo we want to play. 

I will remain cautiously optimistic. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DyZ said:

I agree with the disappointment part - Halo 4 was truly awful (from a MP POV), but I didn't mind reach when they added the playlist that removed Bloom. Halo 5 to me felt like the Call of Duty Advanced Warfare option in the series. Like it was so different that it's hard to gauge it in comparison to the other entries. It was better than H4 though. 

At the end of the day though, 343/Microsoft are making Halo titles that appeal to the masses, and then they custom tailor playlist/settings for the "competitive" crowd after-the-fact. They're never going to completely remove features like Sprint or equipment options from this game. It still blows my mind that people even complain about Sprint to be honest. 

Crossplay and free-to-play is HUGE for the game. I'm not even sure how anyone can take anything negative away from that. It opens up the player-base, and allows people who couldn't care less about campaign (i.e: most of you) to get in on the action. There is literally no downside to either of those lol. 

I think some of you have been holding out hope for so long that 343 and Microsoft would return Halo to the 2/3 glory days. Most of us have since moved on from that feeling, because we knew it would never happen (games HAVE to evolve). Halo nowadays is made to account for new generations of players in mind now. 

You make a great point about them making Halo titles that appeal to the masses. I had this feeling come across me today when I was watching the MSFT e3 pres this morning (something I have been traditionally watching since they started these, year after year), and it was just the feeling of boredom. I'm 41 now. I was 21 when Halo CE came out. I was 18/19 when I first played CS back in 1999. Goldeneye was my first console shooter on the N64, playing MP in the college dorms with friends was amazing times. Would I go back to that game? No way, we have made progress in console shooters and shooters in general. However, I will say that I haven't seen much progress with Gears/Halo/COD/BF in probably the last 10+ years. It's the same recycled garbage that appeals to the avg couch gamer who plays maybe a few hours per week. Because that person can only commit a few hours per week, they gotta make sure the game gives them a sense of satisfaction in their game sessions.

Personally I moved on from a lot of the traditional shooters. I've got almost 3000 hours on Escape from Tarkov, a game that will probably never see the light of day on consoles (sadly), and after playing Tarkov, every other shooter feels like checkers.

My only hope for this Halo is that they make a nice arena-style Halo with powerups, skillful shooting, and non-predicable gameplay. My older age is getting bored of the predictability of games, especially the AAA franchises, they're intentionally keeping them predictable in order to keep audiences engaged.

Games do have to evolve, and I also have to evolve and have evolved.

• Upvote (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, TTUVAPOR said:

Personally I moved on from a lot of the traditional shooters. I've got almost 3000 hours on Escape from Tarkov, a game that will probably never see the light of day on consoles (sadly), and after playing Tarkov, every other shooter feels like checkers.

It's a good point. I don't personally care for Tarkov, but after Insurgency Sandstorm and Squad fulfilling my hardcore "stress shooter" needs, games like Battlefield and Halo form perfect casual/social shooters.

Infinite looks like it's forming up to be a decent casual/social shooter and that pleases me.

2 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Imagine holding onto this despite 14 years of it never happening, no evidence of it going to happen and not even a rumour it's going to happen. I've been in denial before but that is a whole new level. You'd have to almost want to be disappointed and angry to be that deep.

Meanwhile I'm thinking about bots in forge or setting up 4v16 vs bots CTF challenge.

Bro day one I'm setting up a custom game against bots.  no sprint br starts hard mode bots and playing oddball on that map that he naded sword to himself.   That map looked cool.  I hope maps are good.  People don't talk about maps enough.  The arena maps in the past few games have blown.   

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Jmacz said:

token troll account? Or just the lone 343 shill insane enough to post here for some ungodly reason?

Sounds about right, and why you so salty on a game you’re positive will die? It’s f2p I already know it’s gonna be a hit, mofo you’ve like never commented here either so back the Fuck up

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Game looks like shit but unfortunately all the Free 2 Play Warzone Fortnite kiddies are probably gonna eat this shit up just like Modern Doorfare 2019. Definitely going to be carried by being free 2 play. If the population is dead in a month I will literally die of laughter.

• Salt (-1) 1

Scratch my original day one plan.  I came up with a better one.  

Max bot count.

Bots hardest mode.

ffa. 

Needlers only.  

Starting equipment: repulsor

42 minutes ago, RatherSilentMr said:

Bro day one I'm setting up a custom game against bots.  no sprint br starts hard mode bots and playing oddball on that map that he naded sword to himself.   That map looked cool.  I hope maps are good.  People don't talk about maps enough.  The arena maps in the past few games have blown.   

Maps look just as stretched as Halo 5. Probably more.

• Toxic (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DyZ said:

Yea that's my point. Most people have moved on. Sure there are things we like/dislike, but you kind of just have to evolve with these titles. 

I get people still hate things like Sprint, but seeing people using the inclusion of sprint as a reason they won't pick this game up (given sprints been in every title since reach and we know they AREN'T going to remove it) is mind blowing to me lol.

Why? Not wanting to play a Halo game because it has mechanics you don't enjoy is a perfectly valid reason to not play a game. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Because I am so old I can not resist to make a comparison with cars.

In the beginning of the nineties I had the opportunity to do some racing. I sucked. Manually gearbox, naturally aspirated engine, low weight and absolutely no advanced driver assistance systems. You truly needed some serious skills and nerves to go fast. And being a passenger in a car driven by an experienced driver was an absolute thrill. Today I can pick up an electric car and smash the time laps from the nineties. And it will feel like going for a walk. Actually, soon I will not even have to drive the car around the track.

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to once again experience an old Porsche around the track (not with me as a driver, the car was way to expensive). What a rush! A Tesla 3 would have crush it but counting all the things that matters the most the Porsche easily wins.

Halo CE was that pure and on the surface such a simple game. But it took forever to master it. Just as with an old school Porsche. Today´s cars are ingenious mechanical marvels. But in the end, imho, the true car driving experience is more or less gone. But still, I can enjoy it on it own merits.

Halo Infinite will not play as Halo. In the same way a Porsche Carrera RS 3.8 is an entire different thing than a Porsche Taycan. Both are amazing cars but very different. And in the end I can only accept the development. 343 will never create an old school Halo. And Porsche will never create an old school Porsche. They were just to hard to drive and that is just not acceptable today.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

I appreciate that the BR has no bloom and the reticle is tiny.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I appreciate that the BR has no bloom and the reticle is tiny.

It looked like it had recoil though

I'm pretty proud of you guys today though. Instead of restating the obvious dislike of things like sprint I feel like there was in large part acceptance that this was never going to be classic Halo and we focused on what this game would be like outside of that point of view to a much larger degree than most would've probably expected

• Upvote (+1) 4

1 hour ago, FireAtWill said:

Because I am so old I can not resist to make a comparison with cars.

In the beginning of the nineties I had the opportunity to do some racing. I sucked. Manually gearbox, naturally aspirated engine, low weight and absolutely no advanced driver assistance systems. You truly needed some serious skills and nerves to go fast. And being a passenger in a car driven by an experienced driver was an absolute thrill. Today I can pick up an electric car and smash the time laps from the nineties. And it will feel like going for a walk. Actually, soon I will not even have to drive the car around the track.

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to once again experience an old Porsche around the track (not with me as a driver, the car was way to expensive). What a rush! A Tesla 3 would have crush it but counting all the things that matters the most the Porsche easily wins.

Halo CE was that pure and on the surface such a simple game. But it took forever to master it. Just as with an old school Porsche. Today´s cars are ingenious mechanical marvels. But in the end, imho, the true car driving experience is more or less gone. But still, I can enjoy it on it own merits.

Halo Infinite will not play as Halo. In the same way a Porsche Carrera RS 3.8 is an entire different thing than a Porsche Taycan. Both are amazing cars but very different. And in the end I can only accept the development. 343 will never create an old school Halo. And Porsche will never create an old school Porsche. They were just to hard to drive and that is just not acceptable today.

Good analogies. I guess I can play the role of the avg car driver, I hop into a vehicle just to get from point a to point b, comfortably and cool with AC. I couldn't care less about performance or anything related. I view vehicles as necessities to get around, period. I think it's neat though that people get to enjoy the higher performance ones as hobbies/interests, just not my thing. But hey, a least we have the freedom to enjoy what we want right?

When it comes to games tho, generally the car enthusiasts and non-ones don't get the same luxuries. We have always been at the mercy of the developers when it comes to Halo games. There has always been this core design element that drives the game from the start.

Halo CE - Pistol/AR

Halo 2 - duel weapons - this dictated the entire core of the MP experience before they put out the BR patch that actually made the weapon useful

Halo 3 - All AR 24/7, every other weapon was shit, and MLG BR was a joke, the BR was a random fuckfest that forced team-shotting....and if that's what determined Halo esports...well then congrats

Halo Reach - Sprint. Bloom. Armor abilities.

Halo 4 - Continuation of Reach but no bloom right?

Halo 5 - The return of a decent pistol, still got sprint, still got armor abilities...

Anyone see a pattern? The series was on a path of destruction since Halo 2. Since Halo 2, the esports community has always had to alter the fuck out of the game (if it allowed it) to get it to be on a decent challenging skill level.

Unfortunately the Xbox suits don't really care much about the esports of Halo. They're probably looking at Fortnite's success as a cash cow and want to turn Halo into the same concept. I imagine there will be a super large map at first for Halo Infinite where a battle royale mode will be the main focus. Players can logon to create their own custom spartan character, there will be a store with cosmetic items to personalize your spartan; it will go the route of Fortnite's store. This will be the future of Halo. They want to expand this game to gain as many players as possible and open it up to people who have never experienced Halo before and in turn, they will try to create a hype around Halo that Fortnite was able to do. As much as I hate it, I am eager to see if their bets pay off.

• Thonking (+0) 1

5 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I'm pretty proud of you guys today though. Instead of restating the obvious dislike of things like sprint I feel like there was in large part acceptance that this was never going to be classic Halo and we focused on what this game would be like outside of that point of view to a much larger degree than most would've probably expected

A lot of us are older now and just don't give a fuck ;)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Toxic (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TTUVAPOR said:

Unfortunately the Xbox suits don't really care much about the esports of Halo

I actually think this might finally not be true in recent years. Surely things have been mishandled but in 2021 any popular game will at least run esports as an advertisement machine if its capable. Its good business these days where for years that wasn't really the case. If we could've held off on Halo releasing for this decade things would probably look very different at this point

35 minutes ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

It looked like it had recoil though

Looked model-visual but not reticle visual to me

Edit: Played at .25 speed and I think you're right: there is a touch of recoil.

However, no Aim Down Sights. This made me very happy. Not having the BR take up half my screen space is chefskiss.jpg

5 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I actually think this might finally not be true in recent years. Surely things have been mishandled but in 2021 any popular game will at least run esports as an advertisement machine if its capable. Its good business these days where for years that wasn't really the case. If we could've held off on Halo releasing for this decade things would probably look very different at this point

What better platform to do it on than E3 though? Get the hype going. Instead, they're marketing toward the avg gamer, or non-Halo gamer. EDIT: I get what you're saying, no doubt that publishers and companies realize there is a huge draw for esports. If anything, they are probably hoping for a large draw on streamers picking this game up.

Just now, TTUVAPOR said:

What better platform to do it on than E3 though? Get the hype going. Instead, they're marketing toward the avg gamer, or non-Halo gamer.

We know they're launching a tournament within the first month of release. This was a multiplayer reveal not a showcase. It makes sense to reveal it to everyone, not to one subsect of multiplayer. That'd be like the multiplayer reveal showing only forge.

There will be a good competitive push soon I'd say, they need that tournament to be hyped.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TTUVAPOR said:

What better platform to do it on than E3 though? Get the hype going. Instead, they're marketing toward the avg gamer, or non-Halo gamer.

Oh for sure I'm not saying they'll thrust esports forward above the normal trailers at E3 or anything like that. I'm just saying its something they probably collectively count on happening and go to some length to make sure that it gets off the ground. They've already locked up TOs and have at least the outline of a plan public from months ago where in the kind of dark ages of Halo post MLG the esports stuff really was just an afterthought or during the MLG years bungie really didn't care at all. These days the developer/publisher really does care on some level and its a priority even if they don't really "get it" or enjoy the esport side of things themselves 

11 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

We know they're launching a tournament within the first month of release. This was a multiplayer reveal not a showcase. It makes sense to reveal it to everyone, not to one subsect of multiplayer. That'd be like the multiplayer reveal showing only forge.

There will be a good competitive push soon I'd say, they need that tournament to be hyped.

My bad, I have ZERO knowledge of anything latest/greatest on Halo outside of what I saw today during the games showcase, and the last Halo Infinite announcement from last year.  I just make my thoughts on my observations.

What's the latest? I don't keep up with this game any longer.