Jump to content
CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

Wouldn't really group CS and CoD together. Chess to checkers, yada yada, etc. etc.

Yeah we're all being a little too generous with the comparisons here lol. I'd say that there's a roughly even difference between CoD, Halo, CS, and Quake. Maybe CoD's a bit of an outlier in this particular comparison. 

Quake probably takes the cake for being the most mentally challenging. The extreme emphasis on item control and how players have to play around their stacks + keep track of when what's coming up makes Quake almost more of a tactical resource management game disguised as an AFPS. 

At the same time, I don't want Halo to play like or even similarly to Quake. Halo by design is way more egalitarian than Quake in how it treats combat, and I'd like it to retain that. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Halo by design is way more egalitarian than Quake in how it treats combat, and I'd like it to retain that. 

I feel like quake fits that definition outside of champs

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ripharambe said:

Da fuck are you on about? CS isn't tactical??

Ehhh it's a decent game, kind of tactical, but it's not veery tactical I'd say. The decisions always felt really apparent to me, It didn't have the same amount of mental as h1 and quake. 

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

I feel like quake fits that definition outside of champs

Really? I always thought quake had a big snowball problem. First kill establishes control, then he knows where you spawn, he's got everything, you have nothing... Brutal. I mean your machine gun is good, so it's not like monopoly levels of snowballing but it's still agony. 

Share this post


Link to post

Man r/halo was fun for those 2 minutes they didn't have 343 dick in their mouth during that whole armor coatings bullshit. 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, hvs500 said:

Ehhh it's a decent game, kind of tactical, but it's not veery tactical I'd say. The decisions always felt really apparent to me, It didn't have the same amount of mental as h1 and quake. 

How much CS have you played?

Share this post


Link to post

Reamis literally teaches the EU scene how to play CS, don't step to him

  • Simms (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

I see games as having tactics within them, the learning curve and emphasis on which moves them in different directions. I don't see it as a binary yes/no. Call of Duty absolutely has tactical plays and tactical meta-knowledge.

It does not, however, take as much of this skill as a game like Quake, yet I would call neither a "tactical" shooter. Tactical Shooter is in fact it's own entire genre and Quake is not in it.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ripharambe said:

How much CS have you played?

Since I was a kid. Lots of source, lil bit of GO. Haven't played it in the yesteryears though.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Man r/halo was fun for those 2 minutes they didn't have 343 dick in their mouth during that whole armor coatings bullshit. 

Funnily enough, the armor coatings thing was one of the few periods where they weren't polishing 343i's nutsack. Pretty vehemently against it actually. 

It's what actually caused me to theorize that the bulk of Halo's old fanbase (that dislikes 343i) don't participate on r/Halo. The threshold is at around 3.5K upvotes, past which point you see a majority of people being harshly critical of 343i. 

r/Halo's never fun for anything else. It's the same lame-ass campaign fangirling 24/7 punctuated by infection killtacs and other zero-effort content. I'm genuinely amazed how a sub can talk so little about the actual game(s) it's dedicated to. 

 

Unrelated fun fact about CE Elites: They're actually much harder to hit when they're running straight in a direction, as opposed to when they're in their evade animation. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/24/2021 at 5:28 AM, hvs500 said:

Video is vapid. All his criticisms are a matter of personal taste. Imo criticism should be detached from your actual enjoyment of the game. 

Late but sweet jesus...

Halo figures out how to make twin stick console shooters actually good
Halo lowers skill floor to appeal to wider audience without sacrificing skill ceiling
Halo is therefore really popular
Other shooters copy elements to make their console shooters better too
.
.
.
.
PCMR Youtuber make salty video annoyed that console players are no longer relegated to playing platformers and 3rd person RPGs


He sounds like those people that refuse to like bands just because they are popular.
 

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, hvs500 said:

Really? I always thought quake had a big snowball problem. First kill establishes control, then he knows where you spawn, he's got everything, you have nothing... Brutal. I mean your machine gun is good, so it's not like monopoly levels of snowballing but it's still agony. 

Yes but you’re still spawning the same way and regaining control isn’t too difficult because there’s more than one power up spawning at the same or close to the same time. because unlike halo fighting for a weapon isn’t much of a thing. Now power ups are a different story. You’ll get that rocket lighting gun in a jiffy. Least this is what I notice when I watch them tournaments of pros. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

Halo's never fun for anything else. It's the same lame-ass campaign fangirling 24/7 punctuated by infection killtacs and other zero-effort content. I'm genuinely amazed how a sub can talk so little about the actual game(s) it's dedicated to. 

 

I once made a negative comment on an infection high kill spree and got downvoted to hell 

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

PCMR Youtuber make salty video annoyed that console players are no longer relegated to playing platformers and 3rd person RPGs

You're not even exaggerating much. 

I don't know why but he seems to think that designing FPS games for console seems to inherently kneecap their PC releases. 

He seems to think that Halo's responsible for the trend away from AFPS, which I frankly disagree with. Aside from player momentum (bhopping, strafe jumping, etc), weapon limits and the primary competitive modes, Halo does a fairly good job at imitating a hybrid AFPS. 

Besides, there's plenty of games around the same timescale and even before that pushed design trends away from AFPS. Inb4 "most of them came out after Halo" there's no way they had enough time left in development to redesign their game for a 2 weapon limit, which means it had probably been their intent for a while - predating even Halo's change from an RTS into an FPS. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Late but sweet jesus...

Halo figures out how to make twin stick console shooters actually good
Halo lowers skill floor to appeal to wider audience without sacrificing skill ceiling
Halo is therefore really popular
Other shooters copy elements to make their console shooters better too
.
.
.
.
PCMR Youtuber make salty video annoyed that console players are no longer relegated to playing platformers and 3rd person RPGs


He sounds like those people that refuse to like bands just because they are popular.
 

It really is kind of absurd isn't it? Hundreds of millions of people have enjoyed Halo over the years, but I guess that counts for fuck all because an extremely small amount of people loved PC Arena Shooters 30-odd years ago...

Give me a break.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Mow said:

It really is kind of absurd isn't it? Hundreds of millions of people have enjoyed Halo over the years, but I guess that counts for fuck all because an extremely small amount of people loved PC Arena Shooters 30-odd years ago...

Give me a break.

It’s just during his time those games were the rage. 

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

It’s just during his time those games were the rage. 

Like I said, 30 years ago. Time to get over it.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

One thing that stuck to me was his dislike for reloading. The amount of times I’ve died to not enough ammo in my gun is insane sometimes but it’s a balance mechanic I welcome greatly. I love seeing in competitions of a pro losing a fight due to it because they were oblivious to their ammo in their gun.

”guns not just about shooting, it’s about reloading, you’ll know what I’m talking about” 

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/26/2021 at 2:35 AM, Reamis25 said:

And that there is the problem 

you know you’re going to have to explain that. I don’t see how tactical quake is. I see all tons of movement and outside of the timing the armors, the quad DMG I don’t see it. Tactics are usually a form of strategy. Holding positions and what not. My understanding of quake is very limited. Like rainbow is a game all about strat plays to myself and most and I don’t even play it. 

I can’t see any strategy in being  ambushed. Every game that you drop when shot is all about ambushing your opponent. That’s more shallow than h4 ever was.

Share this post


Link to post

Brute weapons since they have a blade should never melee trade 

I don’t think the starting weapon should be the very strongest weapon, just at best in the top 10. Especially in a game with a wide sandbox. Give me a reason to pick up a carbine over my starting BR

  • Thonking (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/29/2021 at 5:09 PM, Reamis25 said:

Brute weapons since they have a blade should never melee trade 

Not a bad idea tbqh. 

I'm leaning closer and closer to an Energy Sword that functions similarly to the H2 Energy Sword.

With raised, equal run speeds (forwards, backwards, sideways) from 2.25 to 2.6-ish and 5x/6x run acceleration/airborne acceleration, the main factor that caused the H2 sword to break multiplayer is heavily mitigated. Combined with a  very slightly longer window of opportunity to dodge (like in this video @ 1:22), you could make for sick CQC. You could even give Elites the ability to swap their sword between their hands on the go and add an extra element of CQC combat to an invasion-like mode. 

Give the sword a smaller reticle, allow clashing to happen (both against other swords and regular well-timed melee), put a battery on it, make it a power weapon, and you're done. Let it be the only weapon in the whole sandbox capable of lunging, and you've made an extremely fun yet effective and skill-symmetric weapon to use. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone got any predictions for Infinite going into E3?

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, Mow said:

Anyone got any predictions for Infinite going into E3?

Disappointment 

  • Like (+1) 6
  • Toxic (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/27/2021 at 6:13 PM, Reamis25 said:

Yes but you’re still spawning the same way and regaining control isn’t too difficult because there’s more than one power up spawning at the same or close to the same time. because unlike halo fighting for a weapon isn’t much of a thing. Now power ups are a different story. You’ll get that rocket lighting gun in a jiffy. Least this is what I notice when I watch them tournaments of pros. 

You're still spawning at a big disadvantage. 

 

On 5/27/2021 at 6:13 PM, Reamis25 said:

because unlike halo fighting for a weapon isn’t much of a thing

lol dude 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy.