CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

20 hours ago, hvs500 said:

You know, that's fair. But the beauty of that game is you don't have to play it that way. Play the batshit insane ctf btb, play the batshit random 4v4s play the sweaty 2v2s, play the ctf, play the oddball, KOTH, 4v4s, 8v8s, play it how you like it. 

I like all of it.

Except for Team Duals on Boundless.

• Like (+1) 1

A lot of people conflate high complexity with high skill floor, but that simply is not the case. Halo 1 for example has a ton of complexity, but it doesn't affect casual players. Good complexity provides even more depth and increases the skill ceiling without hindering newer players.

17 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Infinite ends with humanity firing the halo array and setting up reseeding efforts. Cortina becomes the new librarian and chief the new didact.

Honestly if the story line went like that I cannot see ever buying another halo title again.

22 minutes ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

Honestly if the story line went like that I cannot see ever buying another halo title again.

This is what the ideal story telling form looks like. You may not like it but it's the truth.

3 hours ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

I don’t actually see what’s so bad about that story line? It sounds actually interesting. I like story’s where the good guy ends up becoming what they destroyed. Especially if it feels so bizarre 

On 5/14/2021 at 10:04 AM, Reamis25 said:

Walshy ehh I disagree. Tsquare sure, and legend competed at what? How many events? 

1. You cant disagree with facts. Check his teams placings. 2009 was height of competitive Halo and he was consistently 2nd and 3rd beating the best teams
2. Tsquared absolutely.
3. Legend went to all of em!

3 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

I don’t actually see what’s so bad about that story line? It sounds actually interesting. I like story’s where the good guy ends up becoming what they destroyed. Especially if it feels so bizarre 

I think its a little silly how poetic it is. The ending is literally "Everyone died. The end." You could say it's humanity finally taking up the forerunner mantle by making the same sacrifices but in the end I think its just too neat, and leaves nothing open. The world just stops.

I loved halo 3s ending because it wrapped up character stories but left open some stuff, like the elites going back home and something potentially coming from that (an alternate halo 4 where its about the elite genocide of the brutes, with you playing as the former). 

Can we please stop naming things "The Didact" or "The Librarian" or "The Harbinger" it's such fanfictiony cringe

• Like (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

10 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

loved halo 3s ending because it wrapped up character stories but left open some stuff, like the elites going back home and something potentially coming from that (an alternate halo 4 where its about the elite genocide of the brutes, with you playing as the former). 

This is good it does leave room for spin offs. However in some cases it’s necessary to end a story so you don’t have to come back to it, you don’t have fans asking what happens next?

I think you want an ending you don’t expect but I frankly think that’s not possible because it’s been done. In one form of media or the other. 

@_Synapse and what would you name them? The point is to show mystery and a sense of high authority and power. Like I think you’re that person who watches a fiction movie and says “that’s not scientifically possible” like sheesh have a little fun. 
im convinced basu and you are people who don’t know how to have fun. 

I feel like I'm targeting a low hanging fruit here, but the vast majority of halo youtubers are some of the most insipid, blindly consumerist, lovey dovey bores EVER.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

and what would you name them? The point is to show mystery and a sense of high authority and power. Like I think you’re that person who watches a fiction movie and says “that’s not scientifically possible” like sheesh have a little fun. 
im convinced basu and you are people who don’t know how to have fun. 

It doesn't evoke a sense of mystery or power strong enough to wash out the sheer cringe of calling a character "The Didact". Besides, it just further pushes Halo down this rabbit hole of cringe fantasy sci-fi that I've hated immensely since Halo 4.

I don't know if there's a word I would associate less with 343i era Halo stories than "fun" 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

It doesn't evoke a sense of mystery or power strong enough to wash out the sheer cringe of calling a character "The Didact". Besides, it just further pushes Halo down this rabbit hole of cringe fantasy sci-fi that I've hated immensely since Halo 4.

I don't know if there's a word I would associate less with 343i era Halo stories than "fun" 

Gotta be honest here and ask a real question. What else did you expect from a video game story meant for teenagers? I'm not defending their writing as if its good but the content we got early on with Halo was just kind of lucky imo and the space magic bullshit was pretty much inevitable unless they stuck specifically to the original authors that we got lucky with.

The kind of unfortunate bit about video game story telling is that its pretty rare to get a truly talented top tier author working on it and giving it their full attention. You're just going through mostly unknown people or writers who took on the project for pay but they're just not fully invested in it because it isn't really their universe and work entirely. So even when it goes well as you include more people you're going to dilute the quality that you struck gold with unless you're just absurdly lucky because you're pulling all of these people out of a pool of unknown or less talented authors

tldr read books avoid video game media outside of the gameplay and you'll be better off most of the time and on the rare occasion you were wrong people will let you know all over the internet and you can circle back to whatever it was that you missed

• Like (+1) 5

Tbh halo is what you get when you take starship troopers seriously.

• Like (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

1 hour ago, Snipe Three said:

Gotta be honest here and ask a real question. What else did you expect from a video game story meant for teenagers? I'm not defending their writing as if its good but the content we got early on with Halo was just kind of lucky imo and the space magic bullshit was pretty much inevitable unless they stuck specifically to the original authors that we got lucky with.

The kind of unfortunate bit about video game story telling is that its pretty rare to get a truly talented top tier author working on it and giving it their full attention. You're just going through mostly unknown people or writers who took on the project for pay but they're just not fully invested in it because it isn't really their universe and work entirely. So even when it goes well as you include more people you're going to dilute the quality that you struck gold with unless you're just absurdly lucky because you're pulling all of these people out of a pool of unknown or less talented authors

tldr read books avoid video game media outside of the gameplay and you'll be better off most of the time and on the rare occasion you were wrong people will let you know all over the internet and you can circle back to whatever it was that you missed

The industry is literally filled with writers who are using that as their source of income while they work on the side projects (be it for film, television, print, etc.) that they're actually passionate about. Writing for video games seems to be the equivalent of being an extra for an episode of Law & Order in the acting world. I'm sure it varies a bit depending on who you work for, but that's the sense I get from those I know in the writing industry.

2 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Dude you clearly have been playing the wrong game because it’s been that way since h2. I won’t say h1 because there’s not much of a story you can know or figure out besides obvious aliens bad, don’t let ring go off or all life ends he’ll you don’t even understand how big a threat the flood is at this point in time or who the four runners were. 
Also didact was just the ruler of the four runners. Would you of wanted something simple like king, or lord?

On 5/15/2021 at 2:10 PM, Mr Grim said:

This is what the ideal story telling form looks like. You may not like it but it's the truth.

I disagree. It shows a lack of story telling, a lack of imagination. It’s the least common denominator scenario. In other words, I can see this coming from 343 because I don’t expect much from them in making a great Halo saga.

you literally destroy the universe in which you built up a hero in master chief. You lose value as a product.

3 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

I tend to think this is the rule but there are exceptions to degrees.

Reach had a well thought out story that tops any master chief story by far with emotional drama. They had very little time to put key elements into the story and yet they did so perhaps perfectly.

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

Dude you clearly have been playing the wrong game because it’s been that way since h2. I won’t say h1 because there’s not much of a story you can know or figure out besides obvious aliens bad, don’t let ring go off or all life ends he’ll you don’t even understand how big a threat the flood is at this point in time or who the four runners were. 
Also didact was just the ruler of the four runners. Would you of wanted something simple like king, or lord?

I think you just reinforced his point.

forerunner was a good term. Guardian not so much. Covenant, brute, elite, hog, all unimaginative, merely descriptive.

14 minutes ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

I think you just reinforced his point.

forerunner was a good term. Guardian not so much. Covenant, brute, elite, hog, all unimaginative, merely descriptive.

Brute, elite - they have their original names you know, those are just slang versions of it.

4 hours ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

I disagree. It shows a lack of story telling, a lack of imagination. It’s the least common denominator scenario. In other words, I can see this coming from 343 because I don’t expect much from them in making a great Halo saga.

you literally destroy the universe in which you built up a hero in master chief. You lose value as a product.

Yeah I was being sarcastic.

Also the notion that video games don't or can't have good stories is the most 2002 shit ever. 

1 hour ago, Mr Grim said:

Yeah I was being sarcastic.

Also the notion that video games don't or can't have good stories is the most 2002 shit ever. 

Its just realistic there are hundreds of awful story games for every decent one and there are only a couple of actual great stories in video games ever. The bar is so low that something average in another medium gets held up as amazing because video games simply don't need it to be successful and thus most games don't even really try. So its bizarre and everyone takes notice when its actually good even if it wasn't really that good. Its not like another medium like books for example where there are vast examples of awful to amazing but the only things to rise to the top are the ones where they're successfully captivating. A video game can have a ridiculously awful story and still be successful for other reasons. I don't think anyone said video games can't have a good story its just that they almost never do.

I think the more someone reads and is engaged by it the more they'll realize that writing has no ceiling when it comes to entertainment other than your own imagination where a movie or video game could never reach that level at our current level of technology. You can still appreciate other forms of entertainment for what they are but they can't hope to really compete in the story telling department 

6 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

I think the more someone reads and is engaged by it the more they'll realize that writing has no ceiling when it comes to entertainment other than your own imagination where a movie or video game could never reach that level at our current level of technology. You can still appreciate other forms of entertainment for what they are but they can't hope to really compete in the story telling department 

Not sure if I quite agree on this. There are certain things film can do that books can't. Cinematography and sound come to mind. So I don't think that one medium is inherently superior to the other. For example, an imagery heavy movie wouldn't have the same impact if it were a book.

We're probably going to get a gameplay demo and a trailer for multi-player like h5s

7 hours ago, hvs500 said:

Not sure if I quite agree on this. There are certain things film can do that books can't. Cinematography and sound come to mind. So I don't think that one medium is inherently superior to the other. For example, an imagery heavy movie wouldn't have the same impact if it were a book.

Yeah I was saying strictly from the story telling department. I think visually or from an audio standpoint you can show something exactly as you imagined it to a point with other art forms but at the end of the day its limited by what someone could actually do where a story in a book can do anything as long as you can comprehend and imagine what you're reading