CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

Tbh I’m not against this because it’s not a permanent use. Stufff like that isn’t all that bad when people can’t constantly use it. This is something however comp wouldn’t allow, or at the very least be against 

It's still bad and not good for the game. Shouldn't be there in the first place

• Upvote (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

The honest answer is that they needlessly get put in those positions by other people a lot of the time. So instead of being in the ER or a lawyer working many hours on a case you wanted you're just catching an email that says "btw you're not going to have free time for the next four months" and its because someone decided that you're going to add x y z to the game now or that same person let you slack off and get into a position where now work is not optional and you have to dump a wild amount of hours into it to finish. I'm sure most people would rather consistently work daily and never feel the pressure of 7 day work weeks and staying after hours in a panic to finish something but they typically aren't managed that way and you may not even be getting paid by the hour

tldr people are unwillingly in some cases being denied a healthy work/life balance because of the general culture surrounding game development depending on where you work and are understandably pissed.

Jokes on them though if they're on the software dev side of things because unless their resume is utterly garbage they're already working on video games out of passion since they can make more and work less with their skills in any other industry related to those skills. On some level I think this is why the culture is kind of "bad" when working on video games. Almost everyone with real talent and drive will never even seriously consider working for a video game studio to begin with because they have better things to do so you inevitably kind of get the less talented leadership and workers etc most of the time. Obviously there will be some exceptions but they are exceptions 

I don't want to sound dismissive, but this sounds like work in virtually any client-facing industry. Seems like, for video games, the management team is just the needy client/partner sending "plz fix" emails at the last minute.

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Sensor Gun. Fires a dart that highlights players in a 25 meter radius, even behind walls and floors.

J f c, why they just can't let go of those stupid see trough walls ideas once and for all. Do any players really call for this? I would really want to see dev arguments for this.

• Like (+1) 4

Flare was removed bc it fucked up 2007 HDTV’s

Radar Jammer was removed bc of the jumps it enabled.

Neither piece of equipment had much support from the community. It was pretty much a “good riddance” situation.

Makes me wish bubble shield emitted a blinding light and could be jumped off of too. That shit was way more disruptive to gameplay than fire nades, radar jammers or flares.

The fact that they kept that in KotH, Ball, and Territories still blows my mind. At the very least they could have increased the respawn time, but nah. They’re bad at making settings, and their fanbase has zero discerning taste and accepts whatever they’re given like a baby bird getting fed.

There is immense power in whatever the default settings are. No one will question them. So they better be good, or they’ll set a precedent and stick around forever.

• Like (+1) 5

Crunch sucks, but like 90% of the stories I hear about crunch is it being directly tied to overscoping or the team just not meeting goals early on like they should. It sucks, and can just happen to a team. But that's the nature of it. I knew what I was signing up for when I went to college for it. While I am not actively looking to work in games any more, I am aware crunch like situations can happen in the profession I want to work in. 

34 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Crunch sucks, but like 90% of the stories I hear about crunch is it being directly tied to overscoping or the team just not meeting goals early on like they should. It sucks, and can just happen to a team. But that's the nature of it. I knew what I was signing up for when I went to college for it. While I am not actively looking to work in games any more, I am aware crunch like situations can happen in the profession I want to work in. 

100% of the time crunch is poor leadership. 100% of the time. Reading about Halo 2's developement, it's Jason Jones's fault the crunch was so crippling. He was worn out and didn't delegate, leaving many decisions in vacuum.

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

100% of the time crunch is poor leadership. 100% of the time. Reading about Halo 2's developement, it's Jason Jones's fault the crunch was so crippling. He was worn out and didn't delegate, leaving many decisions in vacuum.

It always boils down to management. In every profession. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, OG Nick said:

It's still bad and not good for the game. Shouldn't be there in the first place

Sensor darts are in tons of games and it’s usually not a big deal, he’ll in most games that have it it’s something people spawn with and can use frequently. I hated promethium vision in h4, but a one time use equipment is hardly going to be game breaking like that ability was. Man if it was up to you, there’d be no equipment period or you’d make one that’s borderline useless. Have a little optimism than be like “this shouldn’t be in the game!” Most casuals won’t care about it and in comp it won’t be there. 

7 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Sensor darts are in tons of games and it’s usually not a big deal, he’ll in most games that have it it’s something people spawn with and can use frequently. I hated promethium vision in h4, but a one time use equipment is hardly going to be game breaking like that ability was. Man if it was up to you, there’d be no equipment period or you’d make one that’s borderline useless. Have a little optimism than be like “this shouldn’t be in the game!” Most casuals won’t care about it and in comp it won’t be there. 

It's gimmicky, hand holdy, adds nothing to the game. Equipment should be useful, with some form of a skill gap. A concussion grenade, the kind that moves people not stuns, would be interesting. Haha x ray vision, is stupid. It's NEVER interesting and it's annoying in every game I've ever played with something similar. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

It's gimmicky, hand holdy, adds nothing to the game. Equipment should be useful, with some form of a skill gap. A concussion grenade, the kind that moves people not stuns, would be interesting. Haha x ray vision, is stupid. It's NEVER interesting and it's annoying in every game I've ever played with something similar. 

A concussion that kinda moves people, lol so a few feet? Lol thought so completely useless. 

2 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

A concussion grenade that moves you would only be useful if you can get them to a point where you can knock them off the map with it. Moving them a few feet from you isn’t doing anything. Not everything is meant to be a double edged sword. Somethings are supposed to give you an advantage 

His concept is basically a grenade that's specifically intended for nade jumping. I think it would be a really interesting thing to add to the game—could even be used to launch weapons CE-style.

• Like (+1) 2

If there's no risk it's not fun to play against. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

His concept is basically a grenade that's specifically intended for nade jumping. I think it would be a really interesting thing to add to the game—could even be used to launch weapons CE-style.

Dude we have clamber a one time jump with that ain’t doing shit. Although I can still see that being useful. But as equipment nah I’d rather a grenade type

• Downvote (-1) 2

1 minute ago, OG Nick said:

If there's no risk it's not fun to play against. 

That’s the point sometimes it’s not meant to be fun to fight against. It’s not fun fighting a guy with rockets is there it’s balance is the limited ammo

• Downvote (-1) 1

Just now, Reamis25 said:

Dude we have clamber a one time jump with that ain’t doing shit. Although I can still see that being useful. But as equipment nah I’d rather a grenade type

My guy, you put absolutely no effort into creative thinking, do you?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

My guy, you put absolutely no effort into creative thinking, do you?

Why do you always say shit like that to defend the stuff no one wants in a game. Like you think of scenarios that are so niche what’s the point 

Reamis I think you guys are talking about different styles of maps. A map with thin catwalks (Damnation, Prisoner, a bunch of H1 maps in general) could be useful to bump somebody a couple feet. Halo 5 with a bunch of small barriers keeping you on platforms, and just general wide walkways probably wouldn't have nearly the same effect.

I'm not sure about concussion grenades just because frag grenades kind of do the same thing (at least in Halo 1) while also doing a ton of damage. Maybe if it exploded on contact so you could just chuck it without a ton of accuracy or timing?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Silos said:

Reamis I think you guys are talking about different styles of maps. A map with thin catwalks (Damnation, Prisoner, a bunch of H1 maps in general) could be useful to bump somebody a couple feet. Halo 5 with a bunch of small barriers keeping you on platforms, and just general wide walkways probably wouldn't have nearly the same effect.

I'm not sure about concussion grenades just because frag grenades kind of do the same thing (at least in Halo 1) while also doing a ton of damage. Maybe if it exploded on contact so you could just chuck it without a ton of accuracy or timing?

Yeah I’m thinking of how majority of maps are designed if you look at combat evolved sure but if you look at h5,3,reach etc it be mostly useless. Guardian is one map it be useful on in h3 

I came up with the idea in like 10 seconds. We already have something similar. The conc rifle. It's cool as hell what people can do with it. But it's too big brain for Reamis to understand. We also had the H3 brute shot before the conc rifle. 

Sorry I don't like easy baby Halo @Reamis25 I'll make sure to keep the training wheels firmly in place from now on. 

So here's my attempt at that:

What if the bubble shield amplified damage inside of it! So cool!!

9 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

I came up with the idea in like 10 seconds. We already have something similar. The conc rifle. It's cool as hell what people can do with it. But it's too big brain for Reamis to understand. We also had the H3 brute shot before the conc rifle. 

Sorry I don't like easy baby Halo @Reamis25 I'll make sure to keep the training wheels firmly in place from now on. 

So here's my attempt at that:

What if the bubble shield amplified damage inside of it! So cool!!

Dude I would destroy you in any halo and that includes ce. There is a competitive playlist for a reason I’ll add. 

4 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

tldr people are unwillingly in some cases being denied a healthy work/life balance because of the general culture surrounding game development depending on where you work and are understandably pissed.

Jokes on them though if they're on the software dev side of things because unless their resume is utterly garbage they're already working on video games out of passion since they can make more and work less with their skills in any other industry related to those skills. On some level I think this is why the culture is kind of "bad" when working on video games. Almost everyone with real talent and drive will never even seriously consider working for a video game studio to begin with because they have better things to do so you inevitably kind of get the less talented leadership and workers etc most of the time. Obviously there will be some exceptions but they are exceptions 

Management seems to be the core of the problem at a lot of these studios, so you make a good point in regards to the managerial talent pool they are probably working with. Especially when you consider the age of the people in those positions: you would had to have fallen in love with Video Games in the early 00's (or earlier) in order to be the age where you are in a moderately high-level position right now. Obviously there are quite a few that did, but the amount of talented people who saw Combat Evolved and thought, "I wan't to dedicate my life to working in that industry (and not Google, Apple, Facebook etc.)" is almost surely much less than the amount of people who saw Witcher 3 or The Last of Us and thought the same thing 10-15 years later. It could easily explain the apparent lack of talent in certain areas of the Industry right now. This will probably change (for the better hopefully) in the next decade or so simply due to what I'd assume to be a much larger talent pool. I think this is a really interesting question though. 

I am obviously not "pro crunch" though and companies causing their employees to have a shitty work/life balance, but at the same time the people at the company itself should work it out. Why this is a thing you consistently hear about if you follow the industry is what confuses me. You always see random people online talking about it like these companies are committing human rights violations and running sweatshops in order to make the next Call of Duty and at certain point it becomes a little "much." Especially when the people talking about it aren't even directly involved. 

3 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Dude I would destroy you in any halo and that includes ce

Oh no 1v1s, one of the most irrelevant ways to play Halo

7mxO0NK.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Oh no 1v1s, one of the most irrelevant ways to play Halo

7mxO0NK.jpg

That include teams

I'm not particularly salty about it. I just think its stupid, and shouldn't be there. You're the one who got all uppity cause I called it stupid. Which it is. 

Also, I've said this before and I'll say it again. And again for you @Reamis25 cause I know you're a little slow on the uptake. "I can beat you in X game" doesn't make you right/smarter/etc. it simply means you can beat me at a video game that someone else can also beat you in. Skill level in a game does matter to an extent. But it is not the end all be all. 

Case and point. The Halo 3 BR is awful but people still think the randomness in the burst is good for the game and is "skill full" even though it is confirmed random. 

• Like (+1) 2