CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

22 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Weren't radar jammer and flare removed because people could get out of maps with them?

I don’t remember 

45 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

I mean I don't think they've confirmed it one way or the other, but like, come on, are they really going to give us that one? It's basically an encapsulation of 343's "change things in a way that no one asked for" approach in one feature.

Edit: Quoted the wrong post. Updated.

is the flagnum really all that bad? 

10 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

is the flagnum really all that bad? 

In the grand scheme of things, no. But it is truly awful. The flag carrier should not have the ability to remain off HUD with a defensive weapon out. It's also just a comically stupid addition to the game.

• Fire (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

100% disagree on this. It doesn't matter if sprint speed is slower, it's still going to define the game's pace, unless the guns all have much faster TTKs & I think we both know that's not going to happen.

I know we're scrutinizing on this, but Infinite's multiplayer gameplay is not going to be anywhere near close to OG. Either the game has advanced movement or it doesn't. So long as it's there, it's going to play like a modern Halo game. 

So you think Reach and Halo 4 play like Halo 5 too because of sprint? They absolutely don't. Halo 5 is in its own tier of Halo games it wasn't that you could sprint that caused teams like Splyce to eventually exist where map geometry almost didn't matter. It was that you could sprint/thrust/thrust bump/stabilize/ground pound in some order to literally fly everywhere at mach 10. Simply having sprint is slow and predictable compared to what that game turned into

Oh also @OG Nick I doubt they were removed because you could jump off of them. You can actually do the same thing with the other equipment still too. The flares were actually just stupid I remember just throwing them out on Guardian around top blue and everyone just being like "well I'm blind now"

25 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

pound in some order to literally fly everywhere at mach 10. Simply having sprint is slow and predictable compared to what that game turned into

THIS. Honestly sprint would’ve been fine in h5 if there was no thrust. The balances sprint received were really good. Still 343 acknowledged and failed to acknowledge one of the key aspects why sprint was hated and that’s the escape ability it provided. With thruster they should’ve just never done it. I would like the sprint nerfs or a significant slow down while being shot like h4. Oh and no unlimited sprint 

• Downvote (-1) 1

16 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

So you think Reach and Halo 4 play like Halo 5 too because of sprint? 

Yeah, and their respective TTKs.

There's nuance between each modern Halo game, no different than the nuance between H2 and H3.

From a higher level view however, modern Halo games & classic Halo games fall into separate buckets. Infinite will fall into the former. 

Whether or not it has thrust, GP, sprint/slide/thrust combo, etc... roughly amounts to the same difference H2 & H3 have over a lack of button combos, how each game handles simultaneous melee fights, strafe responsiveness, etc... 

These differences matter at the margins, but Infinite won't be a fundamentally different game than Reach - H5 in the same way that OG halo is fundamentally different than modern Halo. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Salt (-1) 1

Halo Infinite is going to have the cleanest transfer to classic compared to the last three games. A slowed down insta-sprint, a moderately high jump with clamber, and a dinky slide is what governs your capability of movement, instead of the absurd Armor or Spartan Ability options in the last ten years. The slow burst from the Battle Rifle alone should tell you what to expect in the gameplay loop.

Consider it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Flagnum is fun in social matchmaking, btb, but big no no in ranked/pro play.

1 hour ago, Aphex Twin said:

Yeah, and their respective TTKs.

There's nuance between each modern Halo game, no different than the nuance between H2 and H3.

From a higher level view however, modern Halo games & classic Halo games fall into separate buckets. Infinite will fall into the former. 

Whether or not it has thrust, GP, sprint/slide/thrust combo, etc... roughly amounts to the same difference H2 & H3 have over a lack of button combos, how each game handles simultaneous melee fights, strafe responsiveness, etc... 

These differences matter at the margins, but Infinite won't be a fundamentally different game than Reach - H5 in the same way that OG halo is fundamentally different than modern Halo. 

Dude idk why you think or expect a quick TTK so much. You act as if it’s not cod levels fast people won’t like a game. Cod has those ttks because it’s a military simulator. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Halo Infinite is going to have the cleanest transfer to classic compared to the last three games. A slowed down insta-sprint, a moderately high jump with clamber, and a dinky slide is what governs your capability of movement, instead of the absurd Armor or Spartan Ability options in the last ten years. The slow burst from the Battle Rifle alone should tell you what to expect in the gameplay loop.

Consider it.

Well I expect a ttk on the levels of h5. And if faster it’ll be faster by .2 seconds at best. Anyone expecting a utility their gun is so strong they can kill 3 in a short span of 1.8 seconds is in for disappointment 

• Downvote (-1) 1

8 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Its kinda funny how quickly both radar jammer and flare were removed from multiplayer. Makes you wonder how much time went into developing them. Also why do brutes drop Regens in campaign? They don't have recharging shields lol.

And Drop Shipped, evade and Camo in Reach. Removed in under a month from standard matchmaking.

9 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

And Drop Shipped, evade and Camo in Reach. Removed in under a month from standard matchmaking.

Camo wasn’t removed. It was removed from arena 

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

Camo wasn’t removed. It was removed from arena 

It wasn't in Social Slayer or BTB.

5 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Yeah but they stayed in other gametypes like invasion so you would still see them every now and again. In halo 3, if you didn't play it early, you just never saw flare or radar jammer in the game at all, which is honestly funny.

3 hours ago, Shekkles said:

It wasn't in Social Slayer or BTB.

Uhhh yes it was in reach. We’re talking about the AA version right 

31 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Yeah but they stayed in other gametypes like invasion so you would still see them every now and again. In halo 3, if you didn't play it early, you just never saw flare or radar jammer in the game at all, which is honestly funny.

I remember OG social slayer 5v5 had those. They weren’t in ranked 4s. 

On 5/5/2021 at 11:56 AM, Reamis25 said:

So in the sense if I shoot/ have reticule and even while that’s on you the bullets are slow enough where you can dodge the bullets? 

The bullets are slow enough that you can see them in the air and actively avoid them. Like a needler needle or a fuel rod fuel rod for example.

The main goal of projectiles in my eyes is to act as a range limitation. Being dodge-able is a secondary effect. The effective range is defined by no longer needing to lead. I don't expect bullets to be dodge-able in roughly 30 meters or less, in regards to the utility, but I do expect a more "active" approach to aiming outside that range. Projectile balanced weapons also allow for more open maps and less clutter or weird ass map geometry that literally screams "I placed this here because hitscan."

I hope to whatever cruel Halo god there is that they don't pull a H5 and try to force their dumb ass equipment into ranked arena, especially not the bubble shield or the promethean vision thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

I hope to whatever cruel Halo god there is that they don't pull a H5 and try to force their dumb ass equipment into ranked arena, especially not the bubble shield or the promethean vision thing. 

I can easily see grapple hook as acceptable as long as it’s not too op. With a one time use it could work like jet pack did in MLG reach. I’ll say it armor abilities and equipment aren’t bad for comp play depending on what they do, and as long as they’re not starting abilities. It’s like the bolt shot from h4. The problem wasn’t the OP shot gun ability it provided the problem was you spawned with it. If anything that weapon should go back to how it was. 

4 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Sounds like a bunch of things people assumed or there have been rumblings about in terms of development. 

I don't understand the obsession with "crunch," I'd like to sit down with an ER nurse or lawyer and explain them the huge "controversy" over people coding video games working extra hours at times, would be amusing. Schreier's article will be interesting though regardless. 

• Fire (+1) 1

7 hours ago, _Synapse said:

There's promethean vision in infinite?

31 minutes ago, hvs500 said:

There's promethean vision in infinite?

Sensor Gun. Fires a dart that highlights players in a 25 meter radius, even behind walls and floors.

1 minute ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Sensor Gun. Fires a dart that highlights players in a 25 meter radius, even behind walls and floors.

Tbh I’m not against this because it’s not a permanent use. Stufff like that isn’t all that bad when people can’t constantly use it. This is something however comp wouldn’t allow, or at the very least be against 

2 hours ago, NAK said:

Sounds like a bunch of things people assumed or there have been rumblings about in terms of development. 

I don't understand the obsession with "crunch," I'd like to sit down with an ER nurse or lawyer and explain them the huge "controversy" over people coding video games working extra hours at times, would be amusing. Schreier's article will be interesting though regardless. 

The honest answer is that they needlessly get put in those positions by other people a lot of the time. So instead of being in the ER or a lawyer working many hours on a case you wanted you're just catching an email that says "btw you're not going to have free time for the next four months" and its because someone decided that you're going to add x y z to the game now or that same person let you slack off and get into a position where now work is not optional and you have to dump a wild amount of hours into it to finish or some other team been fucking up for weeks so you now have to go rework what you were doing to fit into their finally finished section of whatever it is. I'm sure most people would rather consistently work daily and never feel the pressure of 7 day work weeks and staying after hours in a panic to finish something but they typically aren't managed that way and you may not even be getting paid by the hour

tldr people are unwillingly in some cases being denied a healthy work/life balance because of the general culture surrounding game development depending on where you work and are understandably pissed.

Jokes on them though if they're on the software dev side of things because unless their resume is utterly garbage they're already working on video games out of passion since they can make more and work less with their skills in any other industry related to those skills. On some level I think this is why the culture is kind of "bad" when working on video games. Almost everyone with real talent and drive will never even seriously consider working for a video game studio to begin with because they have better things to do so you inevitably kind of get the less talented leadership and workers etc most of the time. Obviously there will be some exceptions but they are exceptions