CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

This game is gonna be H5-lite by any meaningful metric I don't know why we're even pretending the game will be anything like pre-Reach Halo

Doesn't mean you have to be a doomer about it but please, "Infinite is just like OG Halo" is r/Halo tier shit

• Like (+1) 2

My bar they need to clear is "H4 Legendary Slayer, with descope and equipment".  If it's at least that good, I can have fun with it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NAK said:

the majority of jumps aren't built around clamber

I'd be happy with more forgiving spring jump timing and all jumps that can be done with a clamber can also be done with a spring jump.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

I'm perplexed by the 'Infinite will echo OG halo/Infinite is mechanically moving in the direction of the original trilogy' comments. Unless you're referring to a less linear campaign?

Advanced movement is the major mechanical difference between modern and OG Halo. I'm predicting Infinite's multiplayer will be no different than Halo 5. 

Can you not see how much slower sprint alone is and how there weren't any thrusts or groundpounds etc? Think of it as a line from CE to Halo 5. I'm not saying its going to mechanically be the same as the old games but it will be closer to that end of the line than Halo 5 was. If the gameplay that we've seen is actually how the game works then it won't even be close to Halo 5

On 4/30/2021 at 2:01 PM, NAK said:

Where do you guys map sprint to on the controller in Halo? I was thinking about where I might try to map it for infinite since I use Bumper Jumper and R3/L3 are used for Crouch and Scope. I was thinking about trying RB since I assume we'll have to sprint out of spawn 90% of the time. 

Sorry totally playing catchup here.

I map sprint to A because I figure if i'm starting a sprint, my gun is going to point down anyway and there will be a delay coming out of it, so I don't need to have my thumb ready on the stick.  I save my bumpers/triggers/stick clicks for actually important stuff.  Just because you have to sprint to get around, doesn't mean its actually that important.  Which is why its annoying.

On 4/30/2021 at 8:48 PM, Nokt said:

This doesn't exactly counter this statement, but I thought it was interesting bit of information.

From the Apple vs Epic case going on right now it was found the PS4 almost doubles any other platform for revenue for Fortnite at 47% from March 2018 to July 2020. Xbox in second with 24%. PC, Switch, and Android get lumped into one category at 19%. Revenue obviously isn't a population counter, plus its only a single game, doesn't mean its the same across the board.

Because PC players aren't stupid enough to pay ridiculous money for a free game.  I would bet there are still more PC players than either console, there are just less whales.

On 5/2/2021 at 11:34 AM, Hard Way said:

I wouldn't mind a Far Cry approach, but with a Mega Man spin.  The "scouting report" for this mission says it is likely to feature X enemy with Y weakness, so if I finish this mission over here first that awards Z weapon if I complete it, I can use that to make my life a little easier. Far Cry and Ghost Recon: Wildlands didn't distinguish the missions from one another well enough by tying meaningful completion rewards to the missions. Letting players unlock things in any order they choose is a mistake that makes missions blur together. Even if they didn't want to tie a specific unlock to a mission, Wildlands could have still awarded a specific type of resource for completing certain missions. That way, if I really want that drone upgrade, I should probably do that mission that awards a ton of tech resources so I can afford it.

My problem with open world shooters like Far Cry or Ghost Recon Wildlands was that the difficulty and enemy variety didn't scale enough as your character grew stronger. You still fought the same enemies with the same capabilities, but you were much better equipped. As a result, the first 10 hours of those games are invariably the funnest, and by the end it feels like busy work because you've leveled your way out of any meaningful challenge. 

Hell, you can make huge parts of the game irrelevant by just unlocking certain things. In Far Cry 5, every vehicle becomes useless once you unlock the wingsuit and the ability to air-drop in when you fast travel. If the game can keep every aspect of itself relevant for the duration of the game, and make your upgrades useful without making the endgame tediously easy, then I would love to see it. But that requires a level of discipline, enemy variety, and difficulty that I have yet to see in the genre.

Yeah, and usually the solution to "Auto Scale" enemies based on your level just makes them more bullet spongy, which is not ideal.

25 minutes ago, Janson314 said:

Just found out Josh Menke is at Riot now. :tear:

This is totally ok.  We might get hard party restrictions now. He did A LOT of good for the halo ranking system but was pretty stubborn about integrating more creative solutions when the simpler one is better.  I think he was a brilliant engineer and systems designer, but once that was done pretty average at managing said system for the players.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

Because PC players aren't stupid enough to pay ridiculous money for a free game.  I would bet there are still more PC players than either console, there are just less whales.

Yeah that's why RGB lights are on sticks of RAM. You know because they're smarter and less susceptible to spending money on useless things. PC players simply constructed alternatively 

Lmao I'm sorry

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

I'm definitely a purist when it comes to the original trilogy vs new stuff. I do not want sprint or any armor abilities or whatever so its not really what I want ideally but compared to Halo 5 this game so far has been much more appealing. The one thing I would really like 343 to do is to take that reboot idea a step further and take all of their ideas of a USNC factory or whatever for multiplayer areas and throw them away for all time. Its so ugly when they do it and I've seen them come out a lot cleaner with some of the forerunner/og Halo vibes in Infinite scenery. It actually blows my mind that you could have such a rich and varied selection of locales to choose from when designing multiplayer maps and then they show me some half eroded and abandoned human factory as the setting. 343 please you're a sci-fi game with aliens and space stop

I am a purist as well and I do not like, nor have liked, each Halo title since Halo 3. Reach, 4 and 5 are not particularly fun for me. As it's been 11 years, I've accepted defeat. Halo is dad, so perhaps this new game bearing it's name will be fun.

12 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

I'm perplexed by the 'Infinite will echo OG halo/Infinite is mechanically moving in the direction of the original trilogy' comments. Unless you're referring to a less linear campaign?

Advanced movement is the major mechanical difference between modern and OG Halo. I'm predicting Infinite's multiplayer will be no different than Halo 5. 

I refer to campaign when I say echoing OG Halo. Both in style and substance. It will not emulate OG Halo campaigns, but there will be echoes of them within it. I do not speak for Snipe Three.

Speaking of infinite, the "Sidekick" has become even more TACTICOOL:

p9m5mhb987w61.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

Yeah that's why RGB lights are on sticks of RAM. You know because they're smarter and less susceptible to spending money on useless things. PC players simply constructed alternatively 

Lmao I'm sorry

LOL I aint mad.  Its funny because when I was building my budget PC, it was hard to find things that DIDN'T have RGB in them. A lot of people are willing to spend more frivolous money on hardware than anything else.

The truth is though, when you look at the steam survey at least, most people are playing on what most gamers (that bother to post on forums) would consider "shit hardware".  The silent majority are cheap, and are probably not buying shiny things in their games.

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah I mean right now the 4690k build with a 1060 still probably crushes 1080p gaming for most people and most of those parts are basically ancient at this point. You only really have to step up into more modern parts if you want to crank the resolution and retain high refresh rates

1 hour ago, Apoll0 said:

it was hard to find things that DIDN'T have RGB in them.

facts

On 5/3/2021 at 12:40 PM, TeeJaY said:

Player movement isn't as random as you're imagining it. It's actually reasonably predictable. That's why the idea of projectile bullets and leading your shots works great in various games. A guy who isn't aware of you isn't going to randomly do a 180. And it's not a general area, you're aiming at a specific point slightly ahead of the direction they're moving (or further ahead depending on distance).

I think you are talking about "undodgeable" projectile weapons like the pistol and PR. I absolutely am in favour of them. No reason not to have them. 

I was more or less referring to projectiles dodgeable by reaction time alone. 

7 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

League of legends would like a word

• Upvote (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, hvs500 said:

I think you are talking about "undodgeable" projectile weapons like the pistol and PR. I absolutely am in favour of them. No reason not to have them. 

I was more or less referring to projectiles dodgeable by reaction time alone. 

So in the sense if I shoot/ have reticule and even while that’s on you the bullets are slow enough where you can dodge the bullets? 

Looking at the UI makes me wonder how many different types of Equipment you will be able to "hold" at once. In campaign I think you could easily have more than 2 which is what I think is what is indicated on that most recent screenshot with the UI. Multiplayer is a different story though. The idea of equipment can go both ways. There are some genuinely really cool things you could do with it, especially in campaign, but it could also introduce completely broken things into multiplayer since it is pretty much a combination of armor abilities and h3 style equipment. 

9 hours ago, Shekkles said:

facts

Yeah, the only things that really seemed to come at a price premium were water coolers and RAM. I went with an air cooler (also has RGB but was only $40) and regular ram.

6 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

So in the sense if I shoot/ have reticule and even while that’s on you the bullets are slow enough where you can dodge the bullets? 

I mean, not for everything right?  Halo already has this with some plasma weapons.

Everything else would be where the bullets are fast enough you have to lead at range, and if someone is moving erratically they can make you miss but I wouldn't argue in favor of every weapon having bullets slow enough to see and actively dodge.

15 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

If the gameplay that we've seen is actually how the game works then it won't even be close to Halo 5

100% disagree on this. It doesn't matter if sprint speed is slower, it's still going to define the game's pace, unless the guns all have much faster TTKs & I think we both know that's not going to happen.

I know we're scrutinizing on this, but Infinite's multiplayer gameplay is not going to be anywhere near close to OG. Either the game has advanced movement or it doesn't. So long as it's there, it's going to play like a modern Halo game. 

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

Just remembered that the Flagnum is 100% going to be in the game again. Yay...

Wow I didn't know they're bringing that back. Jesus christ this game is going to suck. 

Don't know why, but I'm still holding out hope for a permanent matchmaking playlist with no advanced movement. Not sure I'll ever try this game otherwise.

17 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

I would bet that PC gamers are second only to mobile gamers when it comes to whaling. You think Dota, LoL, World of Warships/Tanks and Warzone make millions and billions from all the PC players playing for free?

10 hours ago, NAK said:

Looking at the UI makes me wonder how many different types of Equipment you will be able to "hold" at once. In campaign I think you could easily have more than 2 which is what I think is what is indicated on that most recent screenshot with the UI. Multiplayer is a different story though. The idea of equipment can go both ways. There are some genuinely really cool things you could do with it, especially in campaign, but it could also introduce completely broken things into multiplayer since it is pretty much a combination of armor abilities and h3 style equipment. 

They already said how equipment will work and it’ll work exactly like h3s. They said so in the ask343 stream.

Side note I’m glad equipment is back as I enjoyed it far more than armor abilities. It made maps like high ground less annoying because of the different strats. H3 equipment should’ve received better balancing. A bubble that could be destroyed, and healing regen that’s slow like h4 that won’t let you cheese your way out of a fight. And customs like dunt were far better with bubble 

I do hope for a quick TTK but I don’t want a CE quickness more like .9- 1.0 quickness 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Its kinda funny how quickly both radar jammer and flare were removed from multiplayer. Makes you wonder how much time went into developing them. Also why do brutes drop Regens in campaign? They don't have recharging shields lol.

6 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Its kinda funny how quickly both radar jammer and flare were removed from multiplayer. Makes you wonder how much time went into developing them. Also why do brutes drop Regens in campaign? They don't have recharging shields lol.

It’s called a health Regen not a shield regen. 
Part of me thinks it’s because they were completely useless. Half the time the flare blinded you and your opponents, and radar jammer was a double edged sword because it jams your radar too. 
crom a balance perspective they were good tbh because it’s not a disadvantage nor is it an advantage. However that in the end makes them completely useless when bubble, regen, drain are available 

4 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

Wow I didn't know they're bringing that back. Jesus christ this game is going to suck. 

Don't know why, but I'm still holding out hope for a permanent matchmaking playlist with no advanced movement. Not sure I'll ever try this game otherwise.

I mean I don't think they've confirmed it one way or the other, but like, come on, are they really going to give us that one? It's basically an encapsulation of 343's "change things in a way that no one asked for" approach in one feature.

Edit: Quoted the wrong post. Updated.

Weren't radar jammer and flare removed because people could get out of maps with them?