CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Got nothin against the colombian players a lot of them are scary good, just shitty reality of networking from far away and high pings

Halo infinite needs 60HZ tick rates or more.  Now for the big team mode I’d say 30 because 60 I’ve heard is difficult for large scale modes. 128 for 4v4.

13 hours ago, NAK said:

Why is CE and MCC so popular in Columbia? There seems to be a significant population there and I've never been really sure as to why. Ease of access for a 10+ year old game? 

Goes all the way back to XBC my man. Idk why that country in particular loves CE so much, but God bless em. Rumor has it some of them are coming to Beach LAN this year. Their connections are dirt though.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I always thought the last part of this video (starting at about 33 seconds) perfectly demonstrates everything that's wrong with halo 3

Despite perfect aim, what should be a 4sk becomes a 9sk in Halo 3. It's done on local split screen so you cant blame it on a bad connection. This was actually Bungie's vision for Halo 3 - denying you kills even when your aim is perfect.

By comparison, at the same distance, it's a 3sk in CE (as it should be when you have perfect aim). 

I don't want to just defend the Halo 3 BR or anything because I do think it has issues but that is not perfect aim in Halo 3. That is an attempt at missing. You don't aim at the head like that if you want to actually land shots in that game. Its also normal settings but that's kind of beside the point because everything about default settings is trash.

Those settings, that distance and where he aims are definitely how you do get a 9 shot br kill though

6 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

You don't aim at the head like that if you want to actually land shots in that game ...

Yet another issue with Halo 3 - you miss shots when aiming directly at your opponent's heads. 

Also, the amount of distance in question seems quite a bit smaller than the 'extreme' cannon-to-cannon on narrows and and snipe-to-snipe on Pit thresholds you mentioned before.  

7 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Yet another issue with Halo 3 - you miss shots when aiming directly at your opponent's heads. 

Yeah its more complicated than that you want to shoot at peoples chest/neck/chin area because bullets will be pulled up into peoples head area by the game. I wouldn't say its particularly harder or easier to shoot there its just different. The really big thing that this video doesn't cover (maybe intentionally idk) is what happens to the Halo 3 BR when you add the 10% damage from competitive settings. It changes the number of bullets to kill and it also changes the number of bullets that have to hit the head to kill. The reason Halo 3 default settings are so bad is because it requires too many bullets to hit players heads and too many bullets total from the four bursts to kill so when you start trying to aim high for the head to participate in the way the game is trying to get you to shoot your bullets actually do start missing like in the video. Full shield head shots in Halo 3 default settings matter unlike pretty much every other Halo and it compounds with the spread bungie put in the game so that the default BR is actually a nightmare. That's why the competitive settings are the way they are though you can hit body shots and get a bullet to hit the head on the fourth burst and you're straight and that's a 4. So you just have to learn to consistently shoot slightly lower and the times that you'll fail despite perfect aim after that drop off a cliff 

• Like (+1) 1

Upping the movement and damage settings definitely made the game better, and I applaud Killa KC for sticking to his guns on that decision when there was pro player pressure (I believe it was 2gre arguing that higher player movement/damage was 'ruining the game'), and maybe even dev pressure, to use default settings. 

Halo 3 is so bad though that it didnt make enough of a difference. It's like investing in a $5 million light show for a Nickleback concert - the lights are great, but the songs (the things that matter most) still suck. 

7 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

you want to shoot at peoples chest/neck/chin area because bullets will be pulled up into peoples head area by the game. I wouldn't say its particularly harder or easier to shoot there its just different.

Encouraging players aim at larger targets (torsos) vs smaller targets (heads) is easier, no?

31 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Encouraging players aim at larger targets (torsos) vs smaller targets (heads) is easier, no?

In Halo with the way their utility weapons work I don't really think its notably easier to go one way or the other at least in Halo 3 since you aren't just trying to hit anywhere on the body. You still do want to shoot into the area that makes it easy to go for the fourth shot at their heads so there are still a lot of bad or awkward places to be shooting at if the intent was a 4 shot. If our primary weapon was a sniper rifle or something with a lot less aim assist help than any of the utility weapons it would be different enough to matter I think. The ideal way to shoot in Halo 3 is the same way you want to shoot in every Halo barring CE if we ignore the leading part of H3. The big difference between H3 and say H2 or H5 is the punishment for shooting high which is always inefficient in all of these games is that your gun memes you for doing it rather than it just making aiming needlessly more difficult even if its just a marginal difference

CE is just the odd game out where a lot of players aim slightly above rather than slightly below.

7 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I don't really think its notably easier to go one way or the other

Agree to disagree I guess. 

For the record, ease of use isnt my top concern with the H3 BR, but rather the low damage output (even with higher player damage settings) and its effective range. Pretty sure that's well understood, but just wanted to clarify. 

Halo infinite needs hit boxes like apex(lifeline or whatever the smallest character is, a projectile system like it with bullet tracers so you have a strong idea on how you’re supposed to lead your shot and low bullet mag. A utility with a perfect TTK of .8 or .9 seconds. And an average of 1.3. the weapons in the base ga
Also aim assist can’t be ridiculously low. I remember how it was in the gold pro and that shit was ridiculously low. I’m watching some clips and there’s times where warlord can’t even get his crosshairs on a guy. 

2 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

The really big thing that this video doesn't cover (maybe intentionally idk) is what happens to the Halo 3 BR when you add the 10% damage from competitive settings. It changes the number of bullets to kill and it also changes the number of bullets that have to hit the head to kill.

Just to clarify, IIRC, that difference is only a single bullet, correct? With MLG's increased player damage traits, it takes one less BR bullet out of a 3-round burst to kill vs default settings, right? 

8 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Just to clarify, IIRC, that difference is only a single bullet, correct? With MLG's increased player damage traits, it takes one less BR bullet out of a 3-round burst to kill vs default settings, right? 

I could be wrong, but I think it was two less: Base Damage = 12 bullets to kill; MLG Settings = 10 bullets to kill. Either way, the principle was the same: maintain the minimum TTK while mitigating a bit of the randomness that could result from the spread.

Just found this, there's only a one bullet difference between the default H3 BR and MLG H3 BR: 

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/926632-halo-3/43056347

It's funny to think back to pro players hating on the increased player damage when MLG first rolled this out in V2 settings - it's only a difference of one bullet, helps reduce the RNG spread's influence, and the TTKs were still too long, even with an 11-bullet kill.

28 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Just found this, there's only a one bullet difference between the default H3 BR and MLG H3 BR: 

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/926632-halo-3/43056347

It's funny to think back to pro players hating on the increased player damage when MLG first rolled this out in V2 settings - it's only a difference of one bullet, helps reduce the RNG spread's influence, and the TTKs were still too long, even with an 11-bullet kill.

They’re too long because you’re too used to CE TTK of .6 seconds. And it’s average being .9-1.2

4 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

They’re too long because you’re too used to CE TTK of .6 seconds. And it’s average being .9-1.2

So by that logic, anything above insta-kill TTKs is too long for the broader FPS community because they're too used to CoD and CS TTKs (as evidenced by the fact that those games are way more popular than halo). 

26 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

So by that logic, anything above insta-kill TTKs is too long for the broader FPS community because they're too used to CoD and CS TTKs (as evidenced by the fact that those games are way more popular than halo). 

Yes. Halo needs an average TTK of .6 perfect TTK of .1-.2

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 2

5 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

As long as sprint's in. 

32 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

.1? I don't want to die before I even know I'm being shot, thanks.

59 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Warzone is far more popular than standard CoD at this point. Best 2 auto guns in Warzone have a perfect TTK of ~.55 seconds while most others are around .8 and an average ttk across popular guns around a full second. The age of skill over who sees who first is not over, nor should Halo become a game of who sees who first. This is Halo, not CoD nor CS.

23 minutes ago, RTSxRagnarok said:

.1? I don't want to die before I even know I'm being shot, thanks.

Warzone is far more popular than standard CoD at this point. Best 2 auto guns in Warzone have a perfect TTK of ~.55 seconds while most others are around .8 and an average ttk across popular guns around a full second

So roughly twice as fast as H3's & modern Halo's TTKs. 

If a Halo game, or any run-n-gun game with unlimited respawns could succeed with minimum TTKs of 1.5 seconds, then Reach - H5 wouldnt have been a dumpster fire.

But what do I know? The H1 pistol's TTK made CE gunplay all about 'who-sees-who first.'

2 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

The real functional difference is you can shoot three body shots into players and a headshot and that is a kill. It does make it so you can miss a bullet and have someone die but it also means that you don't have to actually put yourself in a situation to start missing those bullets. So it cuts down on the impact of randomly missing bullets from two directions at once and brings the consistency way up because of it. 

Basically it moved the game from "sometimes this just doesn't work" to "this almost always works as long as I'm playing well" The almost bit sucks but its not a 100% fix to the game. Someone at bungie or 343 would've had to do that for us but on a functional level it does mean that you probably go entire days of gameplay without the random bullet being the actual reason you missed. Its far more likely that you were marginally off of a perfect shot when you miss in Halo 3 than it was that you actually shot perfectly and still missed. I think that last part is also problematic because of bullet travel speeds and moving people at variable distances being something that just won't be that exact of a science for the user. The perfect lead/aim in Halo 3 is damn near indistinguishable for the player than the 95% perfect shot which to me just isn't ideal