CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Radar in halo should be similar to cod where you show up if you fire. Maybe also if you’re sprinting like h5 advanced radar but that’s it. Removing the radar wouldn’t work because like Jordan said many enjoy having a mini map. Many games usually have some sort of hud and in some cases it’s not necessary. Halo has had radar since halo 2 and removing it wouldn’t fair well with the majority. If they changed it to the cod style mini map or valorant then I doubt many would complain. I’m more for the no show up unless firing that way someone crouching behind a corner won’t know I’m coming because I’m not. That’s always been annoying to me to disappear because you’re crouching, but you can see others pop up. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

I don't even really see why radar should show you if you're shooting. You're already extremely obvious at that point so if people don't realize what's happening and turn around or whatever they really do deserve the death. Honestly I don't even know why Halo has a radar to begin with. Probably just the first classic "super soldier" mechanic that made the game worse. They should do some kind of radar that shows people that aren't moving after a couple of seconds if they're gonna have something like that 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I don't even really see why radar should show you if you're shooting. You're already extremely obvious at that point so if people don't realize what's happening and turn around or whatever they really do deserve the death. Honestly I don't even know why Halo has a radar to begin with. Probably just the first classic "super soldier" mechanic that made the game worse. They should do some kind of radar that shows people that aren't moving after a couple of seconds if they're gonna have something like that 

My reasoning for radar is because it makes sense for Campaign. And maybe even custom game modes like Infection and whatever else is basically not even Halo but played in Halo

All of these modes have something in common - a casual and fun experience. Wanna know what a non-ranked Team Slayer should be? .... A casual and fun experience.

27 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I mean It can help. Sometimes you might not realize that isn’t your teammate firing close to you or something. It’s what cod does, and it works fine. If halo removed the radar after all this time the backlash would be huge. The key step is nerfing it to the degree I mentioned. It’ll be on peoples screeen and let’s them know enemies are close. @JordanB in my opinion infection should have no radar for humans as its so unfair sometimes. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Casual halo is bigger than competitive and radar being gone would definitely piss people off lol

I dont know what universe ppl are living in where they dont think that will happen, been in the series since day 1 and its about the only thing thats stayed consistent besides the fact that you have shields and a gun

• Like (+1) 1

Personally it has nothing to do with a casual or hardcore experience to me. People casually play plenty of games without a radar. Sure it would probably piss off some of the dozens of remaining Halo players but I really don't think it would amount to anything as far as the mass appeal of a new title. The casual experience really isn't chained to a radar its just something the longtime Halo casual has come to expect. If the game were good and successful there would be far more new players than old ones and if its not good and successful who even really cares 

• Like (+1) 2

Plenty of people play games without radar, people play Halo and expect radar

the casual experience is definitely tied to what casuals want : autos, radar, equipment, shit like that

why do you think there was a huge outcry over having automatic starts for MCC match composer and why they doubled down on keeping radar in comp h5, radar will not be going away any time soon

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Killmachine said:

Plenty of people play games without radar, people play Halo and expect radar

the casual experience is definitely tied to what casuals want : autos, radar, equipment, shit like that

why do you think there was a huge outcry over having automatic starts for MCC match composer and why they doubled down on keeping radar in comp h5, radar will not be going away any time soon

I agree with you I just don't think current Halo players matter. We're basically all guaranteed sales and proof that they can ship anything. Its the hundreds of thousands (hopefully) of people who purchase the game with no real expectation because they heard Halo is cool and saw the marketing budget that decide how successful the game is. They don't really have expectations or anything they just thought it looked cool enough to buy. The rate that those people stay at is the important part

I actually think its a huge mistake chasing what current players want and think long term with new titles if your series has experienced or is currently experiencing huge decline. They're the people that survived whatever it is you've been doing so wrong and stayed anyways so their taste clearly isn't aligned with success for your series. You should be checking out why all of the people quit playing in the first few weeks or over the course of multiple titles. I do think when the population is growing or staying steady at a level you want for the series it becomes important to refine the game based around what the players who are playing like and want so that they stay but if you start doing that at the wrong time you're basically signing up to crash and burn or to just mail it in as the series slowly collapses which is pretty much what Halo has been doing

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

nobODy cAreS abOUt tTks buT eVeryONe wOulD rIot if raDaR wAs gOne.

Yeah I think they would. People like the mini map in halo only ones that want it gone are comp players like us. Don’t be salty 

• Downvote (-1) 1

14 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I actually think its a huge mistake chasing what current players want and think long term with new titles if your series has experienced or is currently experiencing huge decline. They're the people that survived whatever it is you've been doing so wrong. You should be checking out why all of the people quit playing in the first few weeks or over the course of multiple titles

You hit the nail on the head. 

Catering toward the small sample of FPS fans that play halo vs the hundreds of thousands that dont play halo or visit r/halo wont bring in new players. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

To be clear though I don't really think radar/no radar matters in the grand scheme of a successful Halo. I think its just one of those decisions that will get swept away by the success or failure of the game and not really determine which of those two it is. I personally don't think radar does anything positive outside of FFA and I'm pretty neutral with it in campaign. That sort of balancing point between radar or no radar being better for the gameplay is somewhat above most people who play the game 

• Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I actually think its a huge mistake chasing what current players want and think long term with new titles if your series has experienced or is currently experiencing huge decline. They're the people that survived whatever it is you've been doing so wrong and stayed anyways so their taste clearly isn't aligned with success for your series. You should be checking out why all of the people quit playing in the first few weeks or over the course of multiple titles. I do think when the population is growing or staying steady at a level you want for the series it becomes important to refine the game based around what the players who are playing like and want so that they stay but if you start doing that at the wrong time you're basically signing up to crash and burn or to just mail it in as the series slowly collapses which is pretty much what Halo has been doing

5 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

You hit the nail on the head. 

Catering toward the small sample of FPS fans that play halo vs the hundreds of thousands that dont play halo or visit r/halo wont bring in new players. 

Again I ask, if casual and ranked gameplay have the same weapon spawns, same TTK, same objectives, the exact same settings, why do we have a ranked and a casual game type. I believe there should be something to differentiate casual from ranked, otherwise you get sweaty try hards in casual games (like Halo 5) that don't end up being a casual and fun experience.

You can't change TTK. You can't change objectives. You can change starting weapons but that would basically mean having AR starts which is just such a drag to play. Radar is one of the few small things that can be in casual and really make it feel like you aren't playing a sweaty tryhard game. 

5 minutes ago, JordanB said:

Again I ask, if casual and ranked gameplay have the same weapon spawns, same TTK, same objectives, the exact same settings, why do we have a ranked and a casual game type. I believe there should be something to differentiate casual from ranked, otherwise you get sweaty try hards in casual games (like Halo 5) that don't end up being a casual and fun experience.

You can't change TTK. You can't change objectives. You can change starting weapons but that would basically mean having AR starts which is just such a drag to play. Radar is one of the few small things that can be in casual and really make it feel like you aren't playing a sweaty tryhard game. 

So I think when games are healthy the difference between ranked and casual is mindset and skill ranges within one game or maybe unranked is just entirely different game modes to begin with. Like how if I go play unranked casual CS I'm probably just on some deathmatch map with horrible spawns and people just dying everywhere. A lot of the time it really is just significant game mode alteration and lack of skill matching

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

So I think when games are healthy the difference between ranked and casual is mindset and skill ranges within one game or maybe unranked is just entirely different game modes to begin with. Like how if I go play unranked casual CS I'm probably just on some deathmatch map with horrible spawns and people just dying everywhere. A lot of the time it really is just significant game mode alteration and lack of skill matching

I agree with the funky game modes. That's why we've never had ranked Grifball, Team Snipers, Fiesta, etc. But Team Slayer is basically the most popular matchmaking Halo has so to not have a casual playlist - you basically might as well not even have any casual game modes and just invest a shit ton into custom browsers and make it perfect. 

But to your very first point, IMO, radar in casual very much helps that mindset of differentiating ranked vs casual to both new and older players. Just seeing the radar helps give me the feeling that I'm playing a casual game - even if it literally doesn't help me once in the entire game. It's not like it made the game harder or less fun. 

You definitely want there to be a larger gap in skill ranged for the games so that not every game feels sweaty, but there should still be something more to separate the two.

2 hours ago, JordanB said:

Again I ask, if casual and ranked gameplay have the same weapon spawns, same TTK, same objectives, the exact same settings, why do we have a ranked and a casual game type.

Because you can play with your guests on split screen in casual. You can further differentiate the experience with rolling lobbies, auto-balancing, join-in-progress, killcams, and match composer filters for gametypes, maps, and player count. 

Edit - I'm also assuming that not every map will be used for esports/ranked, casual is a great place for 4v4 maps not used in competitive (think Ivory Tower, Turf, etc...)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

They should have a quickplay playlist that is basically the same as the ranked playlist with very minor changes. Have looser skill parameters, join in progress and maybe shorter match time limits and some map/gametype combinations that just aren’t quite up to par for ranked. You should basically be able to treat it like a practice playlist for ranked. Me and three friends should be able to hop in quickplay and play a few matches to warm up before going into our placement matches. There’s a HUGE difference between playing with settings that allow you to see enemy players on a radar just because they had the audacity to move and settings that don’t. That huge disparity should not be present between ranked and quickplay. Little Timmy shouldn’t get Infinite for Christmas, play 50 matches of quickplay and then find out in his very first game of ranked that the radar he’s become accustomed to looking at all game every game just isn’t there. If radar isn’t going to be in ranked (and I pray to god it isn’t) then it shouldn’t be in quickplay. If it’s going to be in the game it should be for FFA and possibly the new BTB mode.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Someone brought this up but we should just have valorant a mini map but enemies don’t appear regardless of shooting or moving 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

Someone brought this up but we should just have valorant a mini map but enemies don’t appear regardless of shooting or moving 

I can get behind this just to assist players learning the map.

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

I can get behind this just to assist players learning the map.

See I’m in the boat of no radar period as in my eyes it ruins basically every mode. Now a mini map, that I can get behind. I don’t even think cod kids care if a red dot shows up, it just feels good to have one. If infinite multiplayer launched with no radar it would make people mad but if 343 gave a reasonable excuse without mentioning something hardcore related people be ok. They could say they want people to feel more free to move around and not be punished for doing so. There’s already footstep sounds which at least is info that’s realistic since sound is physics, it’s real. I like and hate footstep sounds. I mean you couldn’t just come up behind someone and not be heard, unless other sounds happened around you 

2942442-r6s_screenshot_spectatorcamfps_g

What Halo really needs is outlines. Outlines for teammates probably aren't necessary but they'd help. What i'd REALLY want is outlines over enemy players that teammates of yours currently have eyes on. It would help with the majority of players that don't call out.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thonking (+0) 1

3 hours ago, vembress said:

What Halo really needs is outlines. Outlines for teammates probably aren't necessary but they'd help. What i'd REALLY want is outlines over enemy players that teammates of yours currently have eyes on. It would help with the majority of players that don't call out.

Outlines/pings would be a better alternative to radar.  

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, vembress said:

We're still the same community that disliked hitmarkers on grenades because it gave away too much information,  right?

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Mow said:

We're still the same community that disliked hitmarkers on grenades because it gave away too much information,  right?

Grenade hitmarkers are similar to radar in that they both reveal the location of unspotted enemies. 

In my mind, pings are no different than callouts. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Pings are callouts for people too lazy/don't want to join voice comms. Which is fine for me. The outlines thing is a bit too much though, I shouldn't be given enemy location just because a teammate looked at an enemy. Even shooting them shouldn't be enough to give me/teammates access to see them through walls. 

An automatic ping or audio callout if you were to shoot and hit (not with a grenade) an enemy would be interesting to test.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 1