CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

To help players get the feel of power weapon spawns, the Back button should display all significant weapon timers in addition to the roster.    

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

Halo really badly needs a video tutorial series that can quickly elevate the huge mass of clueless social players into something semi-intelligent.

The fact that the average Halo player doesn't understand even the most basic of strategy is a much bigger issue than even 343i. 

Tutorial 0: Item timing, map callouts

Tutorial 1: "Halo is a team game so don't put yourself in position where you're getting 2v1'ed and can't escape", demonstrating the relative strength of 1 player VS more than 1 player, what teamshot is and how to do it effectively

Tutorial 2: Demonstrating the huge influence spawning has on a match, how to influence spawns and predict the general area enemies will spawn in

Tutorial 3: Tying tutorials 0-2 together with the introduction of map-specific team setups and how to counter them, more advanced movement such as team rotations, flanking, individual decision making, and the importance of power position control in the context of spawn control

Tutorial 4: Baiting items/positions, demonstrating more effective dynamic teamshot with overlapping lines of fire between teammates, when to be aggressive or passive with regards to how many teammates/enemies are alive

Tutorial 5: Mode-specific strategic differences between 4v4 and 2v2 Slayer, Objective, Doubles, 1v1, FFA, BTB, etc.

This is how I'd lay a tutorial out. It really does suck that most existing tutorials are either baby-level stuff, targeted towards people who already know how to play but have poor decision making, or just not specific enough. 

"That'll be 1600 Microsoft points" - Microsoft

There's no way the Infinite BR is killing in under 1500ms. 

11 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Halo really badly needs a video tutorial series that can quickly elevate the huge mass of clueless social players into something semi-intelligent.

The fact that the average Halo player doesn't understand even the most basic of strategy is a much bigger issue than even 343i. 

Tutorial 0: Item timing, map callouts

Tutorial 1: "Halo is a team game so don't put yourself in position where you're getting 2v1'ed and can't escape", demonstrating the relative strength of 1 player VS more than 1 player, what teamshot is and how to do it effectively

Tutorial 2: Demonstrating the huge influence spawning has on a match, how to influence spawns and predict the general area enemies will spawn in

Tutorial 3: Tying tutorials 0-2 together with the introduction of map-specific team setups and how to counter them, more advanced movement such as team rotations, flanking, individual decision making, and the importance of power position control in the context of spawn control

Tutorial 4: Baiting items/positions, demonstrating more effective dynamic teamshot with overlapping lines of fire between teammates, when to be aggressive or passive with regards to how many teammates/enemies are alive

Tutorial 5: Mode-specific strategic differences between 4v4 and 2v2 Slayer, Objective, Doubles, 1v1, FFA, BTB, etc.

This is how I'd lay a tutorial out. It really does suck that most existing tutorials are either baby-level stuff, targeted towards people who already know how to play but have poor decision making, or just not specific enough. 

I'd make this myself and upload it to YT but I don't really have the time to invest into this. Maybe I will someday, once my PC is half competent. 

The general population will always skip those tutorials or simply go back to CoD. The only people who will actually watch that stuff are already invested or competitive players. Make your games intuitive, engaging and fun. Design single-player encounters that teach skills that translate to MP. People will naturally learn.

Also yikes at that Infinite BR sound. So much for a return to faster TTKs huh.

• Upvote (+1) 1

BTB Heavies was a good first step in ramping up the magnitude of large-scale gametypes.  What I observed was a general population that really enjoyed these maps with big vehicles and big guns and big explosions.  

Two areas that could be improved are 1) how infantry can move and 2) what abilities vehicles can have.  

A two level map like Asphalt could employ Aerial Ability pick-ups like double jump, wall kick, lunge-clamber, and glider to help infantry transition between different areas without adding dedicated hard routes.  

Smaller vehicles could employ Vehicle Attachments to raise their threat level up to the Heavies standard.  One heavy vehicle could use vehicle attachments to make itself the Alpha Heavy among other heavy vehicles on the map.  

What kinds of vehicle attachments do you think Halo could support?  

You could make a playlist specifically for teaching the game. No requirements to play anything else but promote the playlist with extra xp/points for unlocking new armor skins or whatever 

Have the playlist use weapon/power up timers and spawn points. Obviously the issue is montagers trying to clip new players but that happens anyway

8 hours ago, Basu said:

Also yikes at that Infinite BR sound. So much for a return to faster TTKs huh.

I don’t think hearing one shot is a saying of high TTK. That’s someone pulling the trigger once and you’re also assuming the BR is the utility 

4 hours ago, OG Nick said:

You could make a playlist specifically for teaching the game. No requirements to play anything else but promote the playlist with extra xp/points for unlocking new armor skins or whatever 

Have the playlist use weapon/power up timers and spawn points. Obviously the issue is montagers trying to clip new players but that happens anyway

I think those should be options that you can choose to always have toggled on. Maybe they're forced on for your first 10 games or something. You could have loading screen reminders about the setting.

There is actually no reason to not just allow timers to display in game all the time for everyone. Every competitive event for Halo ever has had large numbers of people either timing things for the people playing or people walking around with clipboard timers or whatever. It should just be in the game. The idea that its the actual knowledge of the spawn time that's skillful in Halo is probably one of the biggest lies about competitive Halo. Its just a pub stomp mechanic because between players/teams that actually know how to play and are playing for real knowing timings is pretty much never in question

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

You could have loading screen reminders about the setting.

The loading screen should display “item cards” with three things on it.  

Weapon Icon next to all its spawn times 

Photo of weapon in its spawn location 

Map overview with weapon spawn location marked 

2 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

There is actually no reason to not just allow timers to display in game all the time for everyone.

Is a weapon icon appearing next to the game clock 30 seconds before spawn too subtle?  

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

The loading screen should display “item cards” with three things on it.  

Weapon Icon next to all its spawn times 

Photo of weapon in its spawn location 

Map overview with weapon spawn location marked 

Is a weapon icon appearing next to the game clock 30 seconds before spawn too subtle?  

I would just give people multiple options that you can toggle on and off. I like the idea of being able to hold back and just see the timer for everything but the Halo 5 waypoints with a countdown timer could work too. Both or either would work for most people I think. Hiding it next to the in game clock would be good for someone that really wants a super minimalist ui but if I were actually playing I want it to be super obvious. There's a reason teams just have another actual human talking to them about it rather than trying to setup timers that they might brush off.

Specifically about an icon next to the in game clock I could use it just like I use a weakaura when I'm raiding in wow if they let me unlock ui elements and move things around. I'd just have it towards the center of my screen but a little off to the side so that the time and icons were always super visible and easy to check but not actually interfering with my aim and obviously in a text size small enough to not make visibility a problem with it so near the center.

This is definitely going off on a tangent now but in UI design in games (or really anything) the minimalist designs are the best when they actually make the important information more obvious than it would've otherwise been. I've helped do the UI for a few things but its really playing WoW forever that taught me what actually works at least for me and most other people when it comes to things like that. Sometimes the lack of unnecessary information is what makes the necessary information so obvious if you do it right. You have to make sure that things are actually in the field of view/focus of the player too if you want them to use it and be aware of it via the UI element.

If my ammo counter is hidden in the corner of my screen where I'm not really focused on it I'll just learn to reload a lot and get a feeling for how much ammo I've got left rather than actually get better at looking at the ammo counter. For ammo this is fine for the most part because you don't need to be hyper aware of exactly how many bullets you have most of the time and if you do its with a weapon like snipe/rockets where the overall number of shots is so low that you don't really have to think much to keep track. Timers are the same way in the sense of forgetting about them around the edges of the screen except its more important to actually know the exact time so what works for ammo isn't really ideal for a timer you're trying to watch. Getting rid of shitty medals/bad voice overs/random text and instead putting a small timer in an obvious part of the screen with an icon would make a lot of people hyper aware of weapon spawns that currently aren't really aware or might even miss Halo 5 style timers. The lack of clutter and an inch of screen space if used correctly would have more impact as far as people being aware of a timer than all of the shit that they used in Halo 5 if you cut out enough unnecessary information you won't be able to help but notice it if there aren't a million things fighting for your attention. A good example of UI evolution for the better in Halo would be pointing out the Halo CE/2 Health/Shield bar compared to the Halo 3 one. You can see they recognized especially for larger or wider screen sizes the old shield UI was too out of the players focus and needed to do something to adjust for it. So they made a much wider and horizontally centered bar along the upper edge of the screen that people would instinctively see more easily without thinking about it

Go check out a Quake stream of some random person and compare it to a Halo UI. You'll notice that they tried and mostly did a better job of conveying the current game clock/score situation which is important because Halo is also a game based around the concept of fighting for upgrades that spawn on timers. Not that Halo should take everything from Quake ui design I do think our shield bar is generally better than how they display health in Quake but their emphasis on the timer with the font size is a tip Halo could probably use if they want to keep putting the timer out of the way the way they do

• Like (+1) 4

On 3/27/2021 at 12:59 PM, Reamis25 said:

See i think fast TTK with hitscan be awful.

Yet still a better experience than feeling powerless. 

But yeah, projectile is my preference. 

12 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Sounds like death magnetic levels of brick walling. 

• Fire (+1) 1

That Boyo argument about crouch is the perfect example of why I don't come around here anymore. You can almost find better arguments on the Halo discord or r/Halo. FFS what has this forum come to?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

The br trilemma.

Make the firing speed too slow and now you have a glorified ar (infinite)

Make the firing speed too fast and now you have a glorified dmr (4)

Make the firing speed just right and now you have an easy headshot machine (2 and 3)

5 hours ago, xSociety said:

That Boyo argument about crouch is the perfect example of why I don't come around here anymore. You can almost find better arguments on the Halo discord or r/Halo. FFS what has this forum come to?

Shrinking your player model on demand isn’t an inherently defensive ability?  

If anybody replies to that I'm adding them to the ignore list (Recommended feature!) as well.

• Like (+1) 3

If I had a giant player model, the size of three Warthogs stacked on top of each other, would it be harder for enemies to land shots on me or easier for enemies to land shots on the broad side of a barn that I’ve become?  

14 minutes ago, potetr said:

If anybody replies to that I'm adding them to the ignore list (Recommended feature!) as well.

Because of you, I am rage quitting these forums.  You can find me on Next Level Design.  

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

No radar can feel intimidating for a newer player. And I don't mind there being some small differences in casual vs ranked gameplay - otherwise what's the point of having both. 

Also remember when some people thought this game would release in Q1 2021, good times.

1 hour ago, JordanB said:

No radar can feel intimidating for a newer player. And I don't mind there being some small differences in casual vs ranked gameplay - otherwise what's the point of having both. 

Also remember when some people thought this game would release in Q1 2021, good times.

I disagree. People get along fine in Gears and Overwatch or any number of shooters without a HUD widget that tells you where bad guys are. It's a crutch that Halo has been unnecessarily leaning on for way too long. It's only necessary for FFA. Take it away and act like it's genuinely not supposed to be there, and the masses will accept what they were given. In situations where you're dealing with a lack of discerning taste (people that like radar), developer intent goes a long fucking way. God forbid they think for themselves.

• Like (+1) 7

6 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

I disagree. People get along fine in Gears and Overwatch or any number of shooters without a HUD widget that tells you where bad guys are. It's a crutch that Halo has been unnecessarily leaning on for way too long. It's only necessary for FFA. Take it away and act like it's genuinely not supposed to be there, and the masses will accept what they were given. In situations where you're dealing with a lack of discerning taste (people that like radar), developer intent goes a long fucking way. God forbid they think for themselves.

idk, in all my years of playing COD I have had so many people tell me that they are uncomfortable playing hardcore, and it's not because it's a 1-2 shot kill instead of a 3-5 shot kill. It's because a mini map and the rest of the HUD are gone. Even if the radar isn't actually used while you play, it just kinda makes you feel more comfortable. Which makes you feel relaxed. Which makes you feel like you're playing a casual game type.

I haven't played Halo 5 in years.... but do the ranked and casual game types have the same weapon spawns? Because if so, then I don't really see the purpose of having a ranked and a casual playlist if both have the exact same settings. All that does is make ranked feel too sweaty, which I know was a problem with Halo 5 when I did play it.

I'm also of the opinion that the more classic the Halo feels, the better. From UI to guns to map aesthetics to HUD to sound effects, when I play Infinite I want to at least feel like 343 cares about the roots of Halo. Even if sprint is in, and grappling hooks, and whatever else we have now, all those other things can at least be a bright spot when I play. Getting into a casual, Infection, Custom game, etc. and no radar at all would not feel right to me.

Now if it's either radar in everything or radar in nothing, I'll say I'd rather have no radar at all. But I don't think that's a decision that needs to be made.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JordanB said:

1. I think if 343 made the advanced movement radar the default people wouldn’t complain. If you only showed up for firing it would help a lot. 
2. Many of us thought that because usually a game doesn’t get delayed a full year. And I don’t even think they needed a full year they just did that to give themselves more leeway time