CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Just now, Boyo said:

In conjunction with half walls that you could crouch walk behind, crouch does increase escapability.  

No, not in the same way that sprint and evade increase your retreat potential since your movement speed doesnt go up. You're just as vulnerable to grenades when couch walking, unlike advanced movement. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does giving the player the ability to shrink his player model, at the cost of reduced movement speed, exemplify the ideals that Halo should be expressing and promoting?  

Is Halo’s “stealth gameplay” of crouching to not appear on radar still desirable?  

Just now, Aphex Twin said:

Is radar still desirable at all?

What if radar was a vehicle ability.  Give the hog an antenna and it tells the occupants where nearby enemies are.  Shoot the antenna off and the vehicle occupants lose their radar widget.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

I would love to see radar restricted to maps/gametypes with vehicles only. 

Sector Detector, five colored lights on the HUD indicate enemy presence in the corresponding section of the map, is a long range but imprecise radar analog.  Instead of promoting corner camping and waiting for a red dot to go by like radar does, sector detector tells you a general direction to head in and leaves the rest up to you.  

Perhaps human vehicles have Radar and Elite vehicles have Sector Detector, giving further purpose and distinction to these important on-map items. Instead of raw killing power, upgrades like these could niche-ify vehicles more.  

What other ways could vehicle roles be expanded or refined?  Offensive attachments like a wedge or a flipper?  

I don't think radar is actually good for any game mode in classic Halo. I think that the whole ability radar thing was questionable even in H5. I felt like we got a lot of "the game is just too fast" sentiments in favor of keeping some kind of radar for H5 without giving no radar H5 an honest try. I'm not really certain no radar would've worked out better but I do think its possible. BTB radars don't even make sense to me. If you become aware of someone in a vehicle because of your radar I don't even know what to think because they're loud as hell and super obvious at all times. I find the maps so big generally too that I just kind of know where everything is happening due to audio and visually seeing where they're coming from because travel in general takes awhile. Its easier to keep track of 8 people on blood gulch than it is to keep track of 4 on warlock because it just takes a long time to get places and change your general area of influence in BTB

• Like (+1) 1

For newer players, I would be interested in a mini map (think valorant) vs a radar. 

Enemies dont show up in it, and you can turn it off via player settings. 

3 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

For newer players, I would be interested in a mini map (think valorant) vs a radar. 

Enemies dont show up in it, and you can turn it off via player settings. 

One of Halo’s greatest assets is how beautiful its environments can be compared to realistic shooters.  We should minimize the default number of HUD elements to let that beauty shine through, IMO.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

This is why we tell you to have standards. 

I prefer no rng but 10% which only affects long ranged battles? I will agree with you the powerless feeling is something that has caused decline. No one likes someone escaping fights. But you never explain how quick a TTK and a realistic shooting system. By realistic don’t say something like 0 bullet magnetism. Look at more modern games as a neat example. A shooting system like apex 

Once players finally get their hands on the multiplayer for halo infinite, weather its during flights or at release I think 343 is going to have to continue to make adjustments to the game play based upon player feed back. Especially if they want the game to last 10 years. We don't really know how much influence the pro team at 343 actually has on the game play it self for Halo Infinite specifically. What we do know is that the Halo fan base is currently divided on core game play mechanics such as sprint, clamber, and the new equipment such as grapple.

In my opinion where 343 really NEEDS to shine is in how they address this disparity once players get their hands on the game. Idk how this should be addressed but my concern is how map design will effect 343's ability to address this issue. If maps are designed around sprint, clamber, and new equipment how will removing them effect how the map plays and vice versa? If Halo Infinite has 1:1 remakes of old maps like Lockout or Midship obviously adding those things obstructs the maps design and how it plays. How is Halo Infinite going to last 10 years if its just another Halo 4 or Halo 5? :thinking:

6 minutes ago, aa_Pregnant_Nun said:

How is Halo Infinite going to last 10 years if its just another Halo 4 or Halo 5?

With modded settings on forge maps.  

Just now, Boyo said:

With modded settings on forge maps.  

Not sure there is going to be much of a difference between Forge and modded maps in this game. 

1 minute ago, NAK said:

Not sure there is going to be much of a difference between Forge and modded maps in this game. 

Based on...?

1 minute ago, NAK said:

I mean modded settings as in disabling universal sprint, increasing base movement speed/acceleration, and other integrilicious changes.  

1 minute ago, OG Nick said:

Based on...?

Just the way Microsoft has talked about mods the last few years (extremely open towards them), but I could be completely off base. Even if there is a noticeable difference in the actual quality of Forge vs Modded maps, I am not sure there will be much stopping people from modding maps on PC and using them in custom games etc. 

But yeah, that's just my gut feeling on the matter. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

9 hours ago, aa_Pregnant_Nun said:

Once players finally get their hands on the multiplayer for halo infinite, weather its during flights or at release I think 343 is going to have to continue to make adjustments to the game play based upon player feed back. Especially if they want the game to last 10 years. We don't really know how much influence the pro team at 343 actually has on the game play it self for Halo Infinite specifically. What we do know is that the Halo fan base is currently divided on core game play mechanics such as sprint, clamber, and the new equipment such as grapple.

In my opinion where 343 really NEEDS to shine is in how they address this disparity once players get their hands on the game. Idk how this should be addressed but my concern is how map design will effect 343's ability to address this issue. If maps are designed around sprint, clamber, and new equipment how will removing them effect how the map plays and vice versa? If Halo Infinite has 1:1 remakes of old maps like Lockout or Midship obviously adding those things obstructs the maps design and how it plays. How is Halo Infinite going to last 10 years if its just another Halo 4 or Halo 5? :thinking:

My take on it is that it would be very impressive to see Infinite stay relevant and on top of things (not the biggest game but one you'd associate with a popular title) for a year or maybe two as far as relevant gaming media. As for the disparity you point out I don't think they can or even will address it. The game will be designed for the mobility and traits in the game. I suspect you'll have obvious grapple geometry and forced clamber jumps everywhere. Hopefully they've toned down sprint even more and they can get away with designing a normal map shape so that sprint on/off is mostly irrelevant as far as map design.

If they do choose to do remakes I would definitely encourage them to just do 1:1 remakes. They can make classic rotating playlists with maps like that and some of them will work with the new stuff. The one thing you don't want to see is some guy trying to redesign Lockout to work with clamber and grapple. Just let that be a custom game map or for anniversary playlists or something don't just ruin lockout for fun 343. Something like the Pit or Narrows would work out of the box with the new stuff so once again don't try and be creative its a remake we want it because we liked the old map not because we wanted a new one. This stuff always got on my nerves with bungie too. If you want a new take on a map make a new map but if you remake a map stay true to the original map and release it as close to the same as possible. Heretic is the best remake in the franchise because they kept the changes to a minimum and very slightly reworked some problem areas and Blackout is the perfect example of what not to do on every front.

• Like (+1) 2

Vehicle Attachments 

The Mongoose can have a Wedge mounted to its front bumper, allowing the vehicle to flip others by ramming into them with its attack-ramp.  

Where the wedge is passive, requiring no additional user input, the Warthog’s Flipper is manually activated by the driver.  

First, two ground-level frontal-forks are maneuvered underneath the target vehicle.  Next, the A button rapidly jerks these forks skyward, flipping the target vehicle up into the air.  

The Ghost can boost and fire with the triggers.  The bumpers control its rear attachment, a linear nozzle that can lay down a continuous wall in its wake.  

RB creates an Energy Ribbon behind the vehicle as it travels forward.  This Great Wall can block a retreating enemy force or divert an attacking enemy force.  

LB toggles the ribbon from vertical to horizontal, allowing the vehicle to lay down an artificial walkway for infantry to travel on.  The Ghost boosts over a impassable gap, laying down a small bridge behind it, creating a new path for his teammates.  

Like the ghost, the Chopper boosts and fires with the triggers but the bumpers do something else.  

RB deploys a Razor Chain that drags behind the vehicle.  Sharp turns whip this flexible attachment around with enough force to splatter infantry.  

LB activates a unique movement ability.  On soft surfaces, the Chopper seamlessly nose dives into the ground, like a dolphin porpoising under the surface of the water.  A moment later, the vehicle pops back out of the ground a short distance ahead.  

Dolphin Dive can be used to bypass walls, tunneling beneath them like a dog under a fence.  In conjunction with the vehicle’s large frontal splatter-wheel, this maneuver can be used to destroy heavy vehicles.  By attacking its soft underbelly, the chopper can rip right through a tank’s weak spot.  Talk about a game of chicken.  

What other attachments could a vehicle have?  

2 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

Blackout is the perfect example of what not to do on every front.

The funny thing is if they had kept all the jumps and the new ones blackout added alongside an open window on library i think it’d be better 

18 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

I prefer no rng but 10% which only affects long ranged battles? I will agree with you the powerless feeling is something that has caused decline. No one likes someone escaping fights. But you never explain how quick a TTK and a realistic shooting system. By realistic don’t say something like 0 bullet magnetism. Look at more modern games as a neat example. A shooting system like apex 

Pretty sure I've already explained that projectile is my preference, but fast TTKs with hitscan would still be a massive improvement. 

Modern halo cant go anywhere but up. In some ways, it's a good thing that we've experienced what a bottom-of-the-barrel halo experience feels like. While it theoretically can get worse (going prone, movement-based bloom, etc...), I dont think it actually will.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aphex Twin said:

Pretty sure I've already explained that projectile is my preference, but fast TTKs with hitscan would still be a massive improvement. 

Modern halo cant go anywhere but up. In some ways, it's a good thing that we've experienced what a bottom-of-the-barrel halo experience feels like. While it theoretically can get worse (going prone, movement-based bloom, etc...), I dont think it actually will.   

See i think fast TTK with hitscan be awful. Look at the CE pistol in h5. If we do get a fast TTK it needs to be projectile. I’ve said time and time again apex projectile system is perfect 

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

See i think fast TTK with hitscan be awful. Look at the CE pistol in h5. If we do get a fast TTK it needs to be projectile. I’ve said time and time again apex projectile system is perfect 

Hitscan isn't the issue so much as the forgiving aim assist and bullet magnetism that plagues H5 and the later Halos. CS is hitscan, and there are no issues in that game.

1 hour ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

Hitscan isn't the issue so much as the forgiving aim assist and bullet magnetism that plagues H5 and the later Halos. CS is hitscan, and there are no issues in that game.

Cs also has bullet spread patterns to compensate and make it difficult. Not a good comparison. The only shot that’s perfectly accurate is the first too. No matter what you do you can’t beam.  The bullet mag and aim assist do need to be toned no doubt. But to what degree? I remember the aim assist that was in the reach pro mod but it was so low aiming with a controller felt just off. Aim assist should be low but not that low 

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Cs also has bullet spread patterns to compensate and make it difficult. Not a good comparison. The only shot that’s perfectly accurate is the first too. No matter what you do you can’t beam.  The bullet mag and aim assist do need to be toned no doubt. But to what degree? I remember the aim assist that was in the reach pro mod but it was so low aiming with a controller felt just off. Aim assist should be low but not that low 

I don't disagree that projectile is better than hitscan. I'm just saying that a more important reason for why the H5 CE pistol was a disaster was the aim assist/bullet magnetism than the hitscan. Perhaps I didn't word that so clearly. Ideal world, we reduce those and use projectile bullets.

• Like (+1) 1

Halo really badly needs a video tutorial series that can quickly elevate the huge mass of clueless social players into something semi-intelligent.

The fact that the average Halo player doesn't understand even the most basic of strategy is a much bigger issue than even 343i. 

Tutorial 0: Item timing, map callouts

Tutorial 1: "Halo is a team game so don't put yourself in position where you're getting 2v1'ed and can't escape", demonstrating the relative strength of 1 player VS more than 1 player, what teamshot is and how to do it effectively

Tutorial 2: Demonstrating the huge influence spawning has on a match, how to influence spawns and predict the general area enemies will spawn in

Tutorial 3: Tying tutorials 0-2 together with the introduction of map-specific team setups and how to counter them, more advanced movement such as team rotations, flanking, individual decision making, and the importance of power position control in the context of spawn control

Tutorial 4: Baiting items/positions, demonstrating more effective dynamic teamshot with overlapping lines of fire between teammates, when to be aggressive or passive with regards to how many teammates/enemies are alive

Tutorial 5: Mode-specific strategic differences between 4v4 and 2v2 Slayer, Objective, Doubles, 1v1, FFA, BTB, etc.

This is how I'd lay a tutorial out. It really does suck that most existing tutorials are either baby-level stuff, targeted towards people who already know how to play but have poor decision making, or just not specific enough. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1