CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Just gave me the H4/H5 vibe where everything sounds clean and bass isn't really the same as it was in older games. There actually is bass in this game though which is good. Definitely don't think it sounds bad in Infinite but I wouldn't say its something that would inspire nostalgia at all

1 hour ago, Jake Teh Nub said:
EDIT: The BR sounds good and bold but definitely slow and a little too clean, it just doesn't sound as crisp as the H2/H3 BR. I assume the sound speed can be adjusted to the weapon rate of fire later in development similar to how keyframed animations can be adjusted but im not an audio engineer so.

The long over due return of Halo Combat Evolved style level ambient sounds are finally back, feels like it just needs a hoard of Flood climbing out of the walls now.

Hexagon design looks improved from that piece of concept art too, they are fallen over, broken, and no longer perfectly in place. My only critique would be to add more grunge, dirt, and destruction but it is just concept art so.

3 hours ago, _Synapse said:

100% on board with the idea of weapon drop but  not with "Hold Y". Like others have stated, it'd probably cause some sort of Halo 5 ground pound latency situation. 

D-Pad would be fine. 

First, it wouldn’t cause latency because the weapon lowering animation provides a built-in buffer period that gives the game a chance to check for button-hold.  

Second, the weapon lowering animation acts as a prerequisite to weapon dropping and you can’t lower your weapon, with Y, when you only have one weapon.  This prevents the player from dropping his only weapon.  

Third, it just makes sense to have all weapon swapping/dropping actions contained to one button.  Weapon dropping is not a significant enough mechanic to warrant its own dedicated button.  If it’s not piggybacking on Y, it’s not there at all.  

All holding Y does is prevent the secondary weapon’s raise animation from beginning.  Until the prescribed button-hold duration is reached, the primary is not dropped but the secondary is not raised either (leaving the player in limbo between weapons for a moment).  

The duration of that moment is adjustable.  0 is only as long as the weapon lower animation.  10 is ten seconds after the weapon lower animation ends.  If the player releases Y before ten seconds of button-hold is met, he simply raises his secondary weapon, like a regular weapon switch.  

This Gotta say the sounds are neat and the BRs gun sounds at least strong I say best sound since h2

That mystic dark music just screams a need for the flood. 343 will have made a grave mistake if they don’t have them. They can be dlc for all I care 

You can't rely on the pro team for much. They're more or less there to stop the really stupid shit from happening, not to actively spur positive change. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think if they want nostalgia from the BR they need to speed up the individual bullet sounds to if I were guessing twice as fast as they are and check back with people 

I'm not sure if the pro team is giving any positive feedback at all. I know in the past, folks like ghostayame would make the case that Halo 3 was a better competitive title than Halo 2. Now we're seeing ex pros like snipedown and pistola argue that advanced movement is a good thing for halo. 

I dont think there are any pros advocating for no advanced movement, faster TTKs, no bloom/spread, etc... not because they think 'I cant move the needle so what's the point,' but because they actually think modern halo's design is good. 

Also, wasnt it the pro team's fault that halo 5's aiming mechanics are so bad? Something about them not wanting 'squirrely aim'? 

53 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

I'm not sure if the pro team is giving any positive feedback at all. I know in the past, folks like ghostayame would make the case that Halo 3 was a better competitive title than Halo 2. Now we're seeing ex pros like snipedown and pistola argue that advanced movement is a good thing for halo. 

I dont think there are any pros advocating for no advanced movement, faster TTKs, no bloom/spread, etc... not because they think 'I cant move the needle so what's the point,' but because they actually think modern halo's design is good. 

Also, wasnt it the pro team's fault that halo 5's aiming mechanics are so bad? Something about them not wanting 'squirrely aim'? 

Perhaps some of the wonky curves were pro teams fault but the real issue with H5 aim is that on a basic level they somehow introduced a lot of variable latency on your inputs which is like probably the most shit tier design when it comes to user input imaginable. I don't really think it was on purpose but it opened their eyes really wide to the fact that input latency is not good for their games when combined with PC release.

I also really don't think invoking professional player opinions on game design is necessarily bad but its not a gold standard either. They're people with opinions like the rest of us. They also play the game a lot and well but they also have monetary concerns when it comes to the video game they're playing professionally. They want the game that gets as many views and thus revenue that will trickle down to them and regardless of what they say that will influence the way they see everything. Pro team is the same way where everyone would like to keep their jobs and income

13 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I also really don't think invoking professional player opinions on game design is necessarily bad but its not a gold standard either. They're people with opinions like the rest of us. They also play the game a lot and well but they also have monetary concerns when it comes to the video game they're playing professionally. They want the game that gets as many views and thus revenue that will trickle down to them and regardless of what they say that will influence the way they see everything. Pro team is the same way where everyone would like to keep their jobs and income

It's a really unfortunate situation when 343 thinks they're catering to the competitive community by employing & listening to pros who tell them advanced movement, rng bloom/spread, etc... are good. 

28 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

rng bloom/spread,

Well for the most part h5 didn’t seem to have this 

23 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Well for the most part h5 didn’t seem to have this 

H4 BR had spread despite a pro team being on staff, and bloom was on several guns in Infinite's campaign demo. Given 343's track record, they dont deserve the benefit of the doubt that it's just a cosmetic bloom. 

The only thing I hope the pro team does, is they make infinite the best competitive version as possible. I think @Snipe Threesaid it best. I don't hate Halo 5 mechanically, the aiming is the worst part. If the aiming in infinite is good I probably will play it plenty. 

1 hour ago, Aphex Twin said:

H4 BR had spread despite a pro team being on staff, and bloom was on several guns in Infinite's campaign demo. Given 343's track record, they dont deserve the benefit of the doubt that it's just a cosmetic bloom. 

If you pay attention though the bloom was all visual not physical. The bullets lost no accuracy. So if there is bloom it’s going to be like h4s, and h4 there was like barely any spread to a point i don’t think it affected the outcome of a fight like h3 br. Also you should acknowledge the pro team doesn’t affect stuff like movement and gameplay mechanics. They can help give feedback on proper settings but if they said make the base game no sprint no clamber etc, that would instantly go out the window 

9 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

If you pay attention though the bloom was all visual not physical. The bullets lost no accuracy. 

Everyone said the same thing about h4's BR spread pre-release, in addition to pros like Walshy and Ninja saying 'halo 4 feels like halo,' and 'this is the best halo yet.'

Your comment about the pro team underscores my point - there are no pros giving 343 feedback that would steer infinite's design in the right direction. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

23 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Everyone said the same thing about h4's BR spread pre-release, in addition to pros like Walshy and Ninja saying 'halo 4 feels like halo,' and 'this is the best halo yet.'

Your comment about the pro team underscores my point - there are no pros giving 343 feedback that would steer infinite's design in the right direction. 

I mean the spread never once got adjusted. The spread never affected a fight. Every 4 shot to the head is death. Most don’t care that much if it doesn’t actually do anything. Just like h4s bloom was negligent at best. 

• Downvote (-1) 3

I'm sure the Pro Team is just there to stress-test the game. 343 probably just wants to see how the game is played by those who default to the most advantageous strategies, and then tweak it according to what it sees. There is likely no consideration of suggestions that alter the core of what 343 is endeavoring to do (i.e., the implementation of advanced movement mechanics in Halo 5; the inclusion of Sprint in Halo 4; etc.).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just now, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

I'm sure the Pro Team is just there to stress-test the game. 343 probably just wants to see how the game is played by those who default to the most advantageous strategies, and then tweak it according to what it sees. There is likely no consideration of suggestions that alter the core of what 343 is endeavoring to do (i.e., the implementation of advanced movement mechanics in Halo 5; the inclusion of Sprint in Halo 4; etc.).

They’re just game testers and it just helps they’re comp players so they can get a strong idea of how the game plays by competent players

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

I mean the spread never once got adjusted. The spread never affected a fight. Every 4 shot to the head is death. Most don’t care that much if it doesn’t actually do anything. Just like h4s bloom was negligent at best. 

This is untrue

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

27 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

This is untrue

Maybe it’s hard to remember in h4 when the spread affected a fight but it wasn’t often. If it affected battles outside RRR then that’s the only moments I can think of. Did it affect things to a significant degree? I don’t think it did. 10% spread or bloom is nothing to get super salty about 

• Downvote (-1) 2

17 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Maybe it’s hard to remember in h4 when the spread affected a fight but it wasn’t often. If it affected battles outside RRR then that’s the only moments I can think of. Did it affect things to a significant degree? I don’t think it did. 10% spread or bloom is nothing to get super salty about 

If it effects even 1 battle per game it's too many. Stop defending mediocrity 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

That’s why something important to push for is modular additions.  Equipment could be placed on maps, or deleted, without having rippling butterfly effects throughout the rest of the game.  Arena gameplay represents the basest, core-most gameplay elements while larger maps/gametypes introduce more of these modular additions.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Yeah everyone is okay with it, hence why Halo's population has only grown since Reach. 

• Toxic (+1) 1