CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Every time I start to get excited thinking about Infinite I remember they put a goddamn grapple hook in the game, unironically.

• Like (+1) 3

Started playing Destiny PvP for the first time and it's actually scary how similar it feels to Halo 5. 343 really has no shame.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, PolyG said:

Every time I start to get excited thinking about Infinite I remember they put a goddamn grapple hook in the game, unironically.

What’s the big deal about it? 

11 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Aside from standing there with your thumb up your ass while you wait for it to hit something so you can actually start moving?  The Halo universe has teleporters and man cannons.  With that kind of technology, what place does a grappling hook have?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

I probably won't even go into Multiplayer, but like, Halo Infinite has some form of open world exploration and combat, we know that much. 

In a game about open world exploration, a grapple hook would be THE best tool. The ultimate powerup. It would be super rare, if the developers were remotely competent. Basically never in play. Decent exploration will emphasize putting difficult obstacles in the player's path and then rewarding them for overcoming said obstacles, whether they be hidden pathways, enemy setups, puzzles, etc. A grapple hook would make basically none of this matter.

Open world games also pit the player against difficult enemy fortifications where they have the high ground and holdout somewhere the player can't immediately reach, forcing the player to use their thinking ability, until they find another way to break their defenses. All part of the enjoyment of exploring.

I'm not confident in 343 doing any of those things with a grapple hook in the game. It kinda just doesn't matter how well you design the map when you have that crutch in mind.

I still think it should've been a grapple gun instead of a wrist mounted gadget. Then again I also think it shouldn't have existed because grapple hooks are played out now. At least doom had the good taste to make it weapon specific and purely combative by having it only attach to enemies.

I imagined the agent under fire grapple and then read we wouldn't be able to shoot while using it and immediately lost interest for Halo

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

Started playing Destiny PvP for the first time and it's actually scary how similar it feels to Halo 5. 343 really has no shame.

Gonna be blunt, but I fail to see the comparison. Calling Destiny's PvP an imperfect mess is an understatement, but aiming works, aim assistance is over tuned but intuitive, and movement tech is far more simplified. Halo 5 in comparison feels like clunky overcomplex dogshit where not even 60fps can save it. It has more in common with Advanced Warfare to me.

38 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

Gonna be blunt, but I fail to see the comparison. Calling Destiny's PvP an imperfect mess is an understatement, but aiming works, aim assistance is over tuned but intuitive, and movement tech is far more simplified. Halo 5 in comparison feels like clunky overcomplex dogshit where not even 60fps can save it. It has more in common with Advanced Warfare to me.

Yeah H5 is a great example of why playing shooters on an controller sucks ass. I've been playing more and more on m/kb on MCC and the only way I can see using a controller at this point is Halo 2 multiplayer just because the button glitch muscle memory is burned so hard into my brain.

29 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

Last night I played a match where I was sprint-sliding around corners and shoulder bashing players for cheap insta kills. Those strings of actions just reminded me very much of H5. 

Honestly it's Destiny's movement that I'm finding clunky. At least in Halo I actually have a strafe and can fire from the hip. On the flip side, Destiny's aiming feels fluid while H5's is clunky trash. Guess that evens things out.

1 hour ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

Yeah H5 is a great example of why playing shooters on an controller sucks ass. I've been playing more and more on m/kb on MCC and the only way I can see using a controller at this point is Halo 2 multiplayer just because the button glitch muscle memory is burned so hard into my brain.

Ngl H5 is a great example of a game that sucks ass

• Like (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

In terms of campaign, there are gonna be some great plays with grapple hook. I don't really have any issues with it. You can grab weapons, board vehicles and grapple punch. Gonna be fun as.

In terms of multiplayer, I have a strong feeling it will be fun to use but not fun to play against.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I have a strong feeling it will be fun to use but not fun to play against.

You just typed a statement that's been ringing through Halo for fifteen years.

• Like (+1) 2

Like Mario Kart’s Triple Red Shells, three flood spores surround the user when the Infector Selector equipment is activated (with the B button).  Spores automatically attack nearby enemies on sight but can also be individually commanded to move to the targeted location by pressing the B button again.  

• Downvote (-1) 1

2 hours ago, Shekkles said:

In terms of multiplayer, I have a strong feeling it will be fun to use but not fun to play against.

You already know it's going to coexist on a map with rockets

The problem isn't grapple itself, but the fact they're still relying on gimmicks to "innovate". Picking up fusion coils and grunts to throw them at opponents? This is the gameplay equivalent of Cortana rising from the dead and becoming the villain.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Fire (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Basu said:

The problem isn't grapple itself, but the fact they're still relying on gimmicks to "innovate". Picking up fusion coils and grunts to throw them at opponents? This is the gameplay equivalent of Cortana rising from the dead and becoming the villain.

This is hilarious and spot on.  Is there a tasteful way of manipulating the environment though?  

The way I chose to go about it was to have the player hold Y to equip a unique sidearm, then, once this environment manipulating weapon is equipped, LT picks up an object and RT launches it forward (X rotates a held object).  

I think it’s a better design because it’s not limited to little things like fusion coils.  You have to be able to get close to something to pick it up, no snaking something from across the map.  It could be used to block paths as well as open them (a grappling hook could be programmed to rip doors off but it can’t pick up a crate and place it in front of a doorway to block it).  Plus, it can be used as a blind shield.  Pick up a crate and move forward.  You can’t see anything but your teammates can use the walking crate as mobile cover.  

There could be a firefight arena where if you put a crate in front of a door, the grunts bunch up and cannot get past...until an Elite comes and kicks it out of the way like King Leonidas (which could lead to some great grunt one-liners).  

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

I think it’s a better design because it’s not limited to little things like fusion coils.  You have to be able to get close to something to pick it up, no snaking something from across the map.  It could be used to block paths as well as open them (a grappling hook could be programmed to rip doors off but it can’t pick up a crate and place it in front of a doorway to block it).  Plus, it can be used as a blind shield.  Pick up a crate and move forward.  You can’t see anything but your teammates can use the walking crate as mobile cover.  

Half-Life 2 did this with a much more interesting weapon 17 years ago.

4 minutes ago, TiberiusAudley said:

Does that disqualify it from use in other games in your mind?  

15 hours ago, Jake Teh Nub said:

TF2.

A user-deployable teleporter could add an interesting dynamic to some custom gametypes.  If Halo were to add a deployable teleporter entrance and exit, how should it be implemented?  

Node Set (equipment) 

Hold B to toggle between entrance node and exit node 

Double-tap B to deploy selected node type 

2 hours ago, TiberiusAudley said:

Having recently played the half life series, I can safety say that half life 1 beats the shit out of 2. In fact, 2 is a fuckin slog and I don't like it.

4 hours ago, Boyo said:

This is hilarious and spot on.  Is there a tasteful way of manipulating the environment though?  

The way I chose to go about it was to have the player hold Y to equip a unique sidearm, then, once this environment manipulating weapon is equipped, LT picks up an object and RT launches it forward (X rotates a held object).  

There could be a firefight arena where if you put a crate in front of a door, the grunts bunch up and cannot get past...until an Elite comes and kicks it out of the way like King Leonidas (which could lead to some great grunt one-liners).  

I think the only way to meaningful path forward is to work with a new philosophy of game design and not simply just add Shiney new mechanics. And I don't mean "Spartans are super heroes." Deeper shit than that.

25 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

I think the only way to meaningful path forward is to work with a new philosophy of game design and not simply just add Shiney new mechanics. And I don't mean "Spartans are super heroes." Deeper shit than that.

If a player could activate a glider pick-up with “jump button while airborne” then a player BR3 on lockout could quickly assault snipe tower without trudging across top mid.  Is that more than shiny?  

5 hours ago, Boyo said:

Very basic equipment pickups like a limited crouch slide or double jump to utilize otherwise unreachable parts of a map would have been an excellent way to create simple, readable alternative routes and strategies without throwing away map design or player efficacy