CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, Basu said:

Remember when Frankie came here and had a civil discussion with 20+ people and then ONE guy made a semi-edgy comment and  got downvoted to -20, but Frankie ignored all the good stuff, jumped on that comment and threw a hissy fit, rage quit and never came back?

Remember when 343 employees sign up for this forum 3 months before launching their new game, drop some PR garbage and disappear as soon as the game launches?

Remember lying about polling pros about Breakout?

343 and Beyond just don't get along, and no matter how nice or toxic you are this probably won't change.

The name calling and directly attacking individual people is kinda lame and childish though, you can roast 343 in much better ways. 

It honestly wouldn't be very hard to work as someone that communicates between this website and 343 in both directions. Of course it sucks a little bit to feel like everyone is just bashing your work as a dev and it sucks to watch the game you enjoy become worse but at the same time I don't believe it would be very hard to go between both with actionable feedback and a little bit of clarity on what the dev thinks. You just have to step back and realize that while people do care on both sides your own personal life and mental wellbeing should be kept firmly away from the internet in general. That goes for everywhere not specifically this website. Imo its fairly easy to read through feedback until you understand the underlying sentiments and then rephrase it to be clear but less offensive.

The hardest part would be coming back to the public and responding to their feedback because it seems like 343 may prevent a lot of that with their policy towards (the lack of) public information. You just have to put yourself in a frame of mind to read what people think and understand it rather than be dismissive or defensive which to me isn't very difficult even if I do have my own opinions. I think they do probably have people that can do this but something else prevents the public response later on from maybe being as detailed as everyone would like it to be. Honestly I think a job like that would even be fun just because you'd be basically dealing with a franchise you enjoy and actually doing something to help it go as well as it can rather than posting on forums lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Basu said:

Remember when Frankie came here and had a civil discussion with 20+ people and then ONE guy made a semi-edgy comment and  got downvoted to -20, but Frankie ignored all the good stuff, jumped on that comment and threw a hissy fit, rage quit and never came back?

Remember when 343 employees sign up for this forum 3 months before launching their new game, drop some PR garbage and disappear as soon as the game launches?

Remember lying about polling pros about Breakout?

343 and Beyond just don't get along, and no matter how nice or toxic you are this probably won't change.

The name calling and directly attacking individual people is kinda lame and childish though, you can roast 343 in much better ways. 

It was a stylish goodbye post from Frankie though, something about lemon and lemonade haha.

Oddball and hill should have the cod hard point feature of the clock stopping every time someone’s in the hill or holding the ball. This way teams don’t become fucked if there’s not enough time on the clock 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I can't find Lemon's video response to Frankie. I need to see that again lmao

On 2/11/2021 at 11:26 AM, Aphex Twin said:

Yeah Counter Strike's gun mechanics really let players get away with mistakes. Super forgiving game. 

Counterstrike isn't Call of Duty but alright

13 hours ago, Basu said:

you can roast 343 in much better ways. 

Are truthful leaks considered a much better way?

• Simms (+1) 1

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

👈😎👈

Well, thanks for filling me in. The community can still be influenced though.

14 hours ago, Basu said:

^

@potetr Could you proofread my next post and tell me if it’s too mean?  I don’t want any comments on the substance of the post, only the tone.  Thanks.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 1

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Only if those leaks come to light. 

On 2/11/2021 at 10:56 PM, Aphex Twin said:

Yeah Counter Strike's gun mechanics really let players get away with mistakes. Super forgiving game. 

The same argument can be made for games with relatively high time to kills

Yeah UT's gun mechanics really let players get away with mistakes. Super forgiving game. 

Yeah Quake's gun mechanics really let players get away with mistakes. Super forgiving game. 

Yeah Half life death match's gun mechanics really let players get away with mistakes. Super forgiving game. 

Call of duty also has low time to kills, but it is largely considered a very forgiving game

Counter strike's mercilessness doesn't purely come from it's time to kill, but also the fact that valve spent 12 years making the series the antithesis of fun.

31 minutes ago, hvs500 said:

Yeah UT's gun mechanics really let players get away with mistakes. Super forgiving game. 

Yeah Quake's gun mechanics really let players get away with mistakes. Super forgiving game. 

Yeah Half life death match's gun mechanics really let players get away with mistakes. Super forgiving game. 

I dont disagree, my point was actually about shooters with faster killtimes being much more popular than shooters with longer killtimes, and it doesnt always come down to people simply preferring more forgiving games when you compare CS, valorant, etc... populations against modern Halo. 

I’ve stopped giving a shit a long ass time ago it’s been beyond obvious for ages now that 343 won’t change shit if it conflicts with there vision for the game and this site is still clearly blacklisted and 343 won’t show up here to read any feedback/criticism.

343 is going to balance the game around the how casuals on reddit want it to be if you think otherwise you’re deluding yourself.

Counterstrike isn't fun and hasn't been fun in like 10 years fight me.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sprint is an ability that disables other abilities.  It makes it seem like the player is doing more when, in reality, his actions per minute are lower than if he was combat ready at all times.  So, let’s take a look back at our favorite childhood movie, “The Land Before Sprint”.  

Equipment was one approach to increasing the player’s actions per minute but instead of using this new class of items for offensive purposes Bungle decided to go with Flare and Radar Jammer instead.  Good concept, poor execution.  

One area of Halo 3 that was interesting were the support weapons like the Missile Pod and Flamethrower but like sprint, they disabled other abilities while in use.  Turning the support weapons into equipment allows the player to wield an additional, niche weapon without sacrificing his other abilities.  Giving the player an additional offhand weapon increases the number of actions per minute he is capable of performing.  

Dual wielding was another method of increasing the player’s actions per minute but it, like sprint, was an ability that disabled other abilities (among other detriments).  Instead of dual wielding two weapons, and giving up the ability to throw grenades and melee, the player should wield one weapon capable of both Fire and Alt-Fire.  Because alt-fire serves as an additional offhand weapon or ability, it increases the number of actions per minute that the player is capable of performing. 

Firing the utility weapon is the most basic way of interacting with the world.  As such, this ability should be inherent to the player, not optional.  In the case of two other weapons being picked up, the Sidearm system allows the player to holster his Magnum instead of dropping it.  A player who can seamlessly switch back to his utility weapon after expending his power weapon ammo will be capable of more actions per minute than a player who must seek out his lost ability to utility.  

The player shouldn’t be able to drop his utility weapon any more than Megaman can drop his X-Buster.  Where sprint pretends to increase the pace of gameplay, increasing the player’s number of actions per minute actually does.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Boyo said:

@potetr Could you proofread my next post and tell me if it’s too mean?  I don’t want any comments on the substance of the post, only the tone.  Thanks.  

If looked at substance I don't think I would've greenlit a single post.

• Toxic (+1) 1

6 hours ago, thdyingbreed said:

I’ve stopped giving a shit a long ass time ago it’s been beyond obvious for ages now that 343 won’t change shit if it conflicts with there vision for the game and this site is still clearly blacklisted and 343 won’t show up here to read any feedback/criticism.

343 is going to balance the game around the how casuals on reddit want it to be if you think otherwise you’re deluding yourself.

You're funny if you think it's going to get balance patches at all. For the better part of a decade 343 would go on and on about how easy it is to change their weapons in each game, but we get like 1 balance change total 18 months after the game's launch when nobody gives a shit anymore.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sitri said:

You're funny if you think it's going to get balance patches at all. For the better part of a decade 343 would go on and on about how easy it is to change their weapons in each game, but we get like 1 balance change total 18 months after the game's launch when nobody gives a shit anymore.

Yeah this is one of two things 343 absolutely has to do if they're serious about succeeding. The first is to create a game with responsive and intuitive inputs and the second is to be ready to address feedback quickly and then actually do so on a timeline measured in days and weeks not months and years. There's a lot of other subjective things depending on who you're talking to that they could probably do but if they miss those two things its over before it begins. They're serious concerns too because these are things they have either recently messed up or have consistently messed up so its definitely something for everyone to talk about and pay attention to with Infinite. Hopefully they feel some kind of pressure

Why the balance patches come more than a year after launch and not in < 2 months of release I will never understand.

21 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Counterstrike isn't fun and hasn't been fun in like 10 years fight me.

I'm not sure what exactly would have changed 10 years ago to change your opinion.

• Fire (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Why the balance patches come more than a year after launch and not in < 2 months of release I will never understand.

I feel like it ties into the same reason that there’s been no real innovation (ie not adding sprint and aim down sights) in Halo in the past decade.  The developers must feel paralyzed by the weight of this giant established universe with toy lines and shit.  Like, do you think the weapon artists are ever told no to a design because it would be too hard to cast as a plastic action figure accessory?  Or the sandbox designers are told to give humans the cool new weapons because the Spartan action figures sell better?  

0BqIWMM_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=gr

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

Yeah this is one of two things 343 absolutely has to do if they're serious about succeeding. The first is to create a game with responsive and intuitive inputs and the second is to be ready to address feedback quickly and then actually do so on a timeline measured in days and weeks not months and years. There's a lot of other subjective things depending on who you're talking to that they could probably do but if they miss those two things its over before it begins. They're serious concerns too because these are things they have either recently messed up or have consistently messed up so its definitely something for everyone to talk about and pay attention to with Infinite. Hopefully they feel some kind of pressure

Well in 343s Q/A they did say something that implies they’ll tune weapons very quickly this time around. Let’s just hope they stay true to that. Most games are so lucky they that when things are op or underpowered they get nerfed or buffed in days or a week or two at best. But for some reason we’ve had to wait months or even a year for a TU.  Perhaps it being a service game can help out in that regard, since I know of that M$ certification process bs. 

• Hooked 1

1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

It's the same reason they can't launch a game in finished state or stick to a schedule when rolling out content. According to many glassdoor reviews their management is awful and the company is hilariously inefficient.