CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Snipe Three that is a fuckin great point and one me and my friend been talking about, lot of things in the Bungie Halo's were super obvious and clean, great examples being the menus, the lights showing your shield strength and the killfeed in halo 3

Lots of small things that add up to a really tight experience, Halo Infinite needs to nail these too

5 hours ago, Killmachine said:

Halo Infinite needs to nail these too

Only thing they're nailing is Halo's coffin

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 4

H5 does have an excellent killfeed. Credit where it's due. I hope that sticks around.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Only thing they're nailing is Halo's coffin

4w9jiv.jpg

6 hours ago, Hard Way said:

H5 does have an excellent killfeed. Credit where it's due. I hope that sticks around.

I actually dislike the free information to be honest.  Knowing your teammate died is one thing, you basically have to convey that info because you need to know the score of the match.  But showing which weapon someone has.. I can make decisions around that, seeing a shotgun or sniper in the killfeed; even if I was too oblivious or ignorant to have paid attention or listened to the sound fx to realize it on my own.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thonking (+0) 3

On 1/31/2021 at 9:25 AM, _Synapse said:

The people who unironically play as dinos. 

lol

18 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

I actually dislike the free information to be honest.  Knowing your teammate died is one thing, you basically have to convey that info because you need to know the score of the match.  But showing which weapon someone has.. I can make decisions around that, seeing a shotgun or sniper in the killfeed; even if I was too oblivious or ignorant to have paid attention or listened to the sound fx to realize it on my own.

This might be the first time I've disagreed with something you've posted. Do not agree at all. 90% of players do not use comms.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

I disagree. By using the weapon, they've shown their hand regardless, and it's only fair you understand exactly what you're up against. You may not have personally seen or heard a shotgun, but your teammate definitely did the hard way, and in an ideal environment would tell you anyway. The worse crime a detailed killfeed could pull is the information is overly redundant. Information isn't free if a player died for it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thonking (+0) 1

30 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

I disagree. By using the weapon, they've shown their hand regardless, and it's only fair you understand exactly what you're up against. You may not have personally seen or heard a shotgun, but your teammate definitely did the hard way, and in an ideal environment would tell you anyway. The worse crime a detailed killfeed could pull is the information is overly redundant. Information isn't free if a player died for it.

Adding on to this

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

listened to the sound fx to realize it on my own.

Listening to the sound implemented by audio engineers to specifcally be recognisable is not "realising on your own".

If the sound is distinct enough for you to know which weapon it is then adding it to the killfeed just adds a layer of feedback. What if someone hard of hearing or someone with a muted audio or something with terrible speakers is playing? They can be provided the same information at the same time as you with no reduction in gameplay quality, it's just a differnet medium.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

What if someone hard of hearing or...

This reminds of a post I read years ago and still chuckle about.  Pretty sure this was it verbatim:  

“People who come to the stereoscopic 3d forums to complain about how they can’t see it should have their good eye gouged out so they can move over to complaining on the hdtv forums”.  

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Boyo said:

This reminds of a post I read years ago and still chuckle about.  Pretty sure this was it verbatim:  

“People who come to the stereoscopic 3d forums to complain about how they can’t see it should have their good eye gouged out so they can move over to complaining on the hdtv forums”.  

I wouldn't try to design games around handicaps, however I think it's a testament to good game design if you're game plays reasonably well without sound, barring some exceptions. Games are visual mediums afterall.

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

This is amazing.

49 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

I wouldn't try to design games around handicaps, however I think it's a testament to good game design if you're game plays reasonably well without sound, barring some exceptions. Games are visual mediums afterall.

I agree. There are plenty of ways to give relevant information to the player without watering down the core gameplay. Letting someone know the enemy team has a sniper via the kill feed does not water down the core gameplay on any level whatsoever.

• Like (+1) 1

bro if we're talking free information i wish we had a fuckin pinging feature in game with like the dpad or some shit, r6 has one and it doesnt follow players but it will point them out in the spot they were standing when it did it

would make solo q games more bearable or games without mics bc it gives at least some indication that something is important or to be careful somewhere else

• Like (+1) 7

3 hours ago, Shekkles said:

lol

This might be the first time I've disagreed with something you've posted. Do not agree at all. 90% of players do not use comms.

2 hours ago, The Tyco said:

2 hours ago, Shekkles said:

Adding on to this

Listening to the sound implemented by audio engineers to specifcally be recognisable is not "realising on your own".

If the sound is distinct enough for you to know which weapon it is then adding it to the killfeed just adds a layer of feedback. What if someone hard of hearing or someone with a muted audio or something with terrible speakers is playing? They can be provided the same information at the same time as you with no reduction in gameplay quality, it's just a differnet medium.

The fact that a teammate has already died to a weapon and the information is already given is a totally fair point I had not considered. I guess if you look at it like the information has already been given then its less offensive. I look at it more like hitmarkers on grenades. I think there's a lot of info that even good players don't communicate that a killfeed sorta hands to you. 

But the killfeed at the end is in my eyes, the smallest possible offensive regardless. That's a battle I'm willing to concede. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

5 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

The fact that a teammate has already died to a weapon and the information is already given is a totally fair point I had not considered. I guess if you look at it like the information has already been given then its less offensive. I look at it more like hitmarkers on grenades. I think there's a lot of info that even good players don't communicate that a killfeed sorta hands to you. 

Grenade hit indicators I am definitely against. Hit inficators (in Halo) I am against wholeheartedly.

A team that is communicating effectively should know if the enemy has rockets.  The killfeed showing a teammate being killed by rockets is just the game forcing the teammate to communicate like he should, willingly or not (https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/0afaa44c-08a7-469a-a086-77fc1e44e594).  

You guys have got me thinking though, how worthwhile would a power up be, that shows you, via a temporary hud widget, the equipped weapon and shield level of each enemy player?  Furthermore, a “hot/cold” value could indicate distance from user to enemy as the crow flies.  

I was also thinking that if weapons are shown on the killfeed, it would be cool to leave one off, like the sword, so that it could be the “stealthy” weapon but I guess there’s no point since if you see a red X but no corresponding report in the killfeed, you can surmise that the sword was used.  Perhaps the sword does not produce a red X either, allowing for rapid multi-kill surprise attacks before the enemy team realizes their flank has been breached.  Might have to mute target comms till respawn as well.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think hitmarkers on gunshots are fine. They're not really necessary in a Halo game with a good art style, but visibility in H4/5/2A is so dogshit that I'd rather have hitmarkers than not. On explosives and nades they can fuck right off though. 

• Like (+1) 4

Bullet hitmarkers are fine and net positives as long as they don't obscure anything, especially with a projectile utility weapon so that players aren't being gaslit as to whether their shots are registering. 

• Like (+1) 2

I wouldn’t put literal hit markers in the Halo.  Visual clutter for not good enough of a reason.  If the game has reliable, well-designed weapons and graphics, these fourth wall breaking elements are not needed and actively work against the style of the game and mindset of the player that we’re trying to cultivate (hitmarkers promote tunnel vision and Halo is requires a wider awareness).  

21 hours ago, Hard Way said:

We’re dealing with 3 steps forward, 43 steps back here. They’re probably gonna scrap one of the few good things they’ve changed since taking over. 

• Like (+1) 2

My hopes for Infinite are rock-bottom, but my hopes for Infinite's modding scene are pretty high. 

Let's see what we can get for a pro mod. 

18 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

My hopes for Infinite are rock-bottom, but my hopes for Infinite's modding scene are pretty high. 

No way Infinite will ever get mods. MCC barely has them, and that's only because it's just a cashgrab release that is barely getting support.

• Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

Dude every time someone has designed a promod it died because no one would play it. Casuals won’t for obvious reasons. Competitive players won’t play it because it’s not the mm settings or tourney settings. They’ll try it no doubt but in the end it’ll die. That’s what happened in h4 with pro mod, in h5 with promod(I forgot the title but we did have streamers play it and smartan or something is the one who made it) and it failed in reach, due to the hard download set up and even if it wasn’t a thing the same thing would occur. Sure you’ll say you’d be fine playing it with the same people all the time but the struggle of having to set up dates and play times isn’t worth the effort. Heck’s that’s why no one here plays the reach promod because setting up playtimes isn’t worth it. You’d best just stick with mcc h1 

• Downvote (-1) 1

It's a shame that Infinite's default experience is so bad that people need to make better settings on their own time to enjoy the game at all. 

19 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Oh yeah I can get behind that. I moreso just appreciate how quick and easy it is to read. It's color-coded, and the dead player is always on the right, so it makes it easy to know how many are dead without having to hit the back button. My only improvement would be to leave it in the feed until the player respawns, so we never have to hit back to count kills.

I always hated how older Halo's just used the same blue text, and even worse, would arbitrarily alternate between "X killed Y" and "Y was killed by X". It needlessly made it so much harder to process the information quickly.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 2