CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

First person, normal speed Missile Pod with manual laser guidance would be a sick weapon.

More so than the rocket launcher having guidance, I like how you have to get close to get kills with it. Also I wouldn't like getting cross mapped with it in BTB, the SRAW in Bf4 was annoying like that because it was easy and risk free.

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly with the amount of redudancy we've achieved with H4&5 I wish they would just double down on in and make 5-10 versions of all the archetypes, letting people choose their skin/version as customization or make them map specific.

We're pretty much already there with the sniper/beam/binary or the shotgun/scattershot/sword/hammer. Just make UNSC, Promethean, Covy and Brute versions of all the weapon slots and completely scrap the differences between the factions, because they're pointless anyways. There's nothing dumber than wasting dev time trying to make the Light Rifle, DMR, BR, Pistol and Carbine somehow stand out from one another, it aint happening.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, potetr said:

Almost having a Brute CE pistol is more worrying if anything. So there would be a pick up weapon that fills the exact same role as the starting weapon, but is much better? As a brute weapon would never be the starting weapon.

My assumption here is that we would have used the Mangler as the starting weapon & reject 343's garbage default settings. We dont even need to play the game to know that the game will be horrible out of the box. 

Now we dont even have a good starting weapon for customs. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

1 minute ago, S0UL FLAME said:

I've gotten an update on the information I've been sharing about Halo Infinite.

I've been told that some of the leaks I've been sharing aren't true. I take full responsibility, and am sorry for spreading it. The following info will be declared false, and will be replaced with true info.

Damn. Was hoping the 5-6sk pistol being the fastest killing utility was bogus. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, Aphex Twin said:

Damn. Was hoping the 5-6sk pistol being the fastest killing utility was bogus. 

The rate of fire on the Sidekick is hella fast. Just bc it's 5-6 stk doesn't necessarily mean the main utility will be really slow. I'm expecting it to be in line with a perfect from the H5 BR, which is slightly above average when you take the entire franchise into account. My concern is more with the utility's ease than its power.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

They're really good at saying a lot without really saying much. Here's to hoping they actually release balance updates in a reasonable amount of time instead of pulling another Halo 5.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

BTB 2.0 is a second attempt at Warzone - False. It's just a bigger Big Team Battle.

But how much Bigger? 12 v 12, 16 v 16? 32 vs 32?

Wish we could know what we’re starting with but I guess that’s expecting too much for a first (I think? I haven’t looked at infinite in 2 years besides the trailer) update. Oh well, hopefully they go by their word since I agree with some of what I skimmed 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm pretty disappointed by this writeup. For all of their terminology usage of "combat triangle" and "cqc dance", we are given zero explanation of how they intend for their "sandbox" to work. It's a bunch of jargon with little substance. 

Then, to make matters worse, the only weapon they actually explain is the spam shotgun. To write off shotgun play in the series as "dull", and completely ignore CE's pump shotty is pretty annoying. I dont know how anyone over there expects a semi auto shotgun to work in an arena based format when it's use is pretty well documented in basically every twitch shooter ever; For all their claims to understand Halo fundamentals and then introduce a weapon that completely clashes with the format they've spent 2/3's of the document boasting about is embarrassing to read. 

Don't tell us you understand Halo. Show us that you do. With no in-depth explanation on how the sandbox plays and no showcase of the utility weapon said sandbox is supposed to play around this is a pretty big miss. 

• Like (+1) 7

Hi, Tim Timmerman!  I’m Boaty McBoatFace.  

“As our free-to-play multiplayer shifts to a true service, it’s more critical than ever that we drive continued feedback loops to ensure we are prioritizing the right work and continually improving the experience.”

What the fuck does this even mean?  

It seems that they do understand, at least on paper, what good Halo design is.  I don’t know why you guys aren’t more excited about all these snippets:

Each weapon or piece of equipment has a distinct feel and skill to use effectively.    

Fluid movement, accurate gunplay while on the move, clear roles for every weapon

one of our major goals was to remove redundancy in the sandbox

The player feels that they can stand alone and be effective without teammates

The basic traits, tools, and weapons must allow the player to be effective from the moment they spawn

Player actions are quick, frictionless, and responsive.    

we don’t want the player to have to “fight” the game in order to have fun

Except for this:

Players need to feel durable and strong when they have shields up. If we create a sandbox toy that violates that feeling, then we run into problems as we conflict with that foundational gameplay element. When that happens, we move away from that experiment and try something else.

That sounds like slow killing weapons.  

Another key aspect was equipment with a low skill floor and a high skill ceiling

Compared to recent Halo titles with more innate abilities, equipment in Infinite creates fewer overall instances of change within the core combat loop, however we can make those instances much more impactful and fun.

vehicles are important as long-term tempo pieces for encounters. As an example, a Sniper Rifle, due to its ammo capacity, has a finite cap to the impact it can have on an encounter/map. Vehicles have infinite ammo meaning they will exist as a challenge/boon in an encounter until they are either destroyed or hijacked.

They continue to demonstrate an understanding of basic design concepts.  This is good.  

Regarding the bulldog shotgun:  

We wanted to have a shotgun that was not a power weapon.

So, a Mauler?  If their main concern was truly sandbox balance and not selling action figures they wouldn’t have to make every new weapon belong to the human faction.  

the Grappleshot didn’t “cheese” my encounter with the Hunters, it deepened it—simultaneously made me feel more powerful and the Hunters more intelligent.

A grappling hook as the Spartan advanced-movement ability doesn’t feel right to me.  Seems mediocre, like the H3 BR of movement abilities.  We shall see, I suppose.  

• Like (+1) 7

"The player feels that they can stand alone and be effective without teammates"

"The basic traits, tools, and weapons must allow the player to be effective from the moment they spawn" 

These two quotes are contradicted by the following: 

"Players need to feel durable and strong when they have shields up"

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

4 hours ago, Hard Way said:

I'm expecting it to be in line with a perfect from the H5 BR

NGL that sounds awful. H5's killtimes were horrible. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

343 updates are always so useless. They saw one or two things people care about them the rest is how much work they’ve put into the game, like no one cares!  Like these companies will talk about stuff that doesn’t help me the consumer know anything. Just because Joseph staten said this is what he visioned 20 years ago doesn’t say anything to me 

25 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

343 updates are always so useless. They saw one or two things people care about them the rest is how much work they’ve put into the game, like no one cares!  Like these companies will talk about stuff that doesn’t help me the consumer know anything. Just because Joseph staten said this is what he visioned 20 years ago doesn’t say anything to me 

Especially when that Staten quote could have just been about the graphics being closer to reality than a 2001 game could accomplish. And not ANYTHING about the actual gameplay itself.

47 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

NGL that sounds awful. H5's killtimes were horrible. 

Dude I don’t think they’re ever going to give TTK on CE levels. It’s best to expect a perfect TTK like the magnum which is 1.3 seconds. And I’m curious on the durable comment 343 added. It’s hard to say if that means TTK will be long. It’s definitely going to be longer than CE but I expect h5 levels of perfect TTK. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

11 minutes ago, AlphaBenson said:

Especially when that Staten quote could have just been about the graphics being closer to reality than a 2001 game could accomplish. And not ANYTHING about the actual gameplay itself.

Exactly! Like they’ll talk how great a team they have, have beautiful the game looks(without showing the consumer for some reason) like this update sucked. Now I do like the fact we’re now promised a big update every month on the last Thursday. I just hope in April or may that’s the month they announce the flight dates. Knowing 343 those won’t happen until July or Augusta and multiplayer will be revealed in June. 

side note: 343 aren’t the only ones guilty of this. Game companies when talking about their games will do the following 

1. Talk about how amazing their team is(no one cares and we expect them anyway) 

2. will talk about tech aspects of the game and yet the average person who isn’t a programmer will have no clue what they’re talking about

3. Will talk about information that we’ve already known about.

4. Will show something new but it won’t be that impressive

32 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

I expect h5 levels of perfect TTK. 

So do I, hence why I think the game will be trash and unable to sustain a respectable population.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

7 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

So do I, hence why I think the game will be trash and unable to sustain a respectable population.

I think it being free will get us at best somewhere in the 50k+ margin which is respectable for halo at least. I still also don’t think the TTK is such a deal breaker or else h3&2 would of been less successful when they were a bigger hit than 1. The game just needs to feel good to play. H4 too cod like, h5 released at the end of the advanced movement era(slide and clamber aren’t advanced movement FYI) and that’s one reason h5 wasn’t a total hit. H5 also felt very clunky, smooth isn’t a word you’d use towards that game. It wasn’t simple. H3 you can play it and instantly know what to do, but h5 nah uh. H5 was complicated. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Don't forget they can now bring classic weapons back with an update! 

"We listened! The iconic shotgun is back! You can use it in all your custom games!"

You know the drill. Infinite is supposed to be here for 10 years, so there is a chance you will get all the weapons you can dream of.  Get your 1tb external harddrive ready to be able to install all the goodies.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hemlax said:

Don't forget they can now bring classic weapons back with an update! 

"We listened! The iconic shotgun is back! You can use it in all your custom games!"

You know the drill. Infinite is supposed to be here for 10 years, so there is a chance you will get all the weapons you can dream of.  Get your 1tb external harddrive ready to be able to install all the goodies.

I always hate how their justification for adding or removing is “you cAn pLaY iT In cUsToMs” like I want this in MM!!!!!! H5 showed me even with a custom browser if I want to play a more competitive game type(h5 gold pro was it, idk?) it will be outshined by assassination only lobby’s,(seriously I do not get this why is this fun? I remember people playing this in reach and hot pursuit over infection which was stupid to me) or clan recruitment lobby’s. Man speaking of clans god dam it im tired of clans being so useless. It be so nice if the Spartan companies had a playlist where they could beef it out and your company gets a seasonal rank. I remember when I was a kid and joined clans line VwS and TFR, MMA so I get it. But back then we used to have clan battles and I don’t even think people do those anymore in halo. I’m sure other games communities do but halo they do nothing. 

Hey everyone,

I don't usually post but do lurk this thread from time to time to keep up with Halo news and all of that. There's nowhere I'd rather get updates from. It's nice to know there are other folks to commiserate with about the state of this franchise. I confess: I haven't played Halo in a long time now. Some of my usual crew have MCC, but many of them have long since moved on from these games and I have more or less done so myself. It hasn't stopped me from reading news and seeing what you all have to say about things. I'm not an active user of this forum, but I believe there's a kinship among the broken and abandoned fans of the series.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that it's commendable to see that you guys still care. I think it says a lot about how fun Halo used to be and the time that many of us put into the earlier games. I've cycled back and forth between apathy and disgust for years now. It would be nice to see a competitive Halo scene that was alive and thriving. 

You guys are (for the most part..) smarter than me about the game design and balance stuff, but I'll ask this: how would it work if sprint was available to players fresh off spawn until they were shot while using it? After that, it would be unusable again until the next respawn. It's just a thought I had but at face value it sounded like an improvement. But like I said, I'm not so knowledgeable with that type of thing.

Back to lurking for me. Stay authentically you, Beyond. :intensifies:

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1