CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

23 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Sure, like quick camo with the AR or stun with the PR.

I dont think there's anything wrong with niche benefits like these, but I dont think autos should ever be able to beat a precision weapon (AR firing railgun slugs for example). 

The Assault Rifle’s ability to alt-fire Railgun slugs once they’ve been picked up from off the map isn’t really giving the AR the ability to beat a precision weapon.  It’s giving the player the ability to pick up a Railgun without dropping his AR.  

By making better use of the buttons, the AR has no useful function mapped to the scope button for example, we can design a risk/reward mechanic into holding onto your AR.  By making the AR the vehicle by which rails are fired, you are giving the player a choice when he picks up a new weapon: drop the trusty utility weapon or drop the thing that turns into a power weapon once a certain pick-up is secured?  

You know aphex you might get your wish. I remember some dev saying something about supporting fast TTK 

21 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

@Hard Way look deep down I know how it sounds but it’s not ridiculous to have. Recoil can work. We have so many weapons in halo now and I have every right to believe infinite will have even more than any halo. The biggest problem halos always had with the casual players is they can’t compete. Halo is a game I don’t think has ever had multiple play styles. It’s either use the precision weapon or fall. H4&5 were the only games where running an AR while everyone else used a precision gun was ok. But in h5s case the AR is very powerful and aiming in h5 is difficult because of bs like heavy aim, but if that wasn’t the case in the game ARS would be dominated. 

That wasn't why I used that reaction. It was about niche guns. H5's sandbox was so fucking dull. I'd way rather have a weapon with a long kill time that can stun or do area denial or instakill from a flank than just have every fucking gun in the game behave almost the same way.  I've seen good players use the PR on LAN, and it's not as niche as you think it is, especially if it were zero-spread.

I want an AR like the Lancer from Gears. Low, easy damage out to a good range. For the AR only, I would prefer bloom to recoil.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

On 1/14/2021 at 12:14 PM, Hard Way said:

As for Ricochet, I'm a huge fan of the mode (and Bombing Run from Unreal Tournament). I'd love to see longer respawn times and smaller, 2-dimensional goals that are raised off the ground to prevent roll-ins.

Just make dunks worth more than roll-ins and turn the score more toward basketball rather than the typical "3 or 5 scores wins" we see in Flag/Bomb.

Shots are worth 1, dunks are worth 3, or even 5.  Suddenly you've got a lot more incentive to actually carry the ball in unless you're just trying to coast on a lead without taking risks.

7 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

I think I'd prefer a grenade launcher attachment/alt function on the AR instead of a railgun.

The AR from Marathon anyone?

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it either. What if it used our grenades as ammo but the difference being they could be launched further and faster than by hand?

2 hours ago, Hard Way said:

That wasn't why I used that reaction. It was about niche guns. H5's sandbox was so fucking dull. I'd way rather have a weapon with a long kill time that can stun or do area denial or instakill from a flank than just have every fucking gun in the game behave almost the same way.  I've seen good players use the PR on LAN, and it's not as niche as you think it is, especially if it were zero-spread.

I want an AR like the Lancer from Gears. Low, easy damage out to a good range. For the AR only, I would prefer bloom to recoil.

From I’ve seen based on those beach Lans I see the PR only get used when the opponent has OS. And even then it’s not really used to kill. Niche weapons are ok but they shouldn’t be the foundation for saying You have a sandbox that’s diverse because niche means only useful in certain situations. But people don’t even like stub mechanics here 

34 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Halo 5 has a boring sandbox

Compared to past games I disagree. Everything being useful is a good thing 

• Downvote (-1) 2

10 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Compared to past games I disagree. Everything being useful is a good thing 

Yeah but it's only useful because the movement mechanics require the guns to be....

You can't keep the classic game's damage values when you can sprint, thrust, slide and jump across the map now... Now the weapons have to do more damage because of the ground you cover in the shorter amount of time... ANd the thrust requires explosions to be bigger and more deadly....

Basically it lessens the skillgap now that every weapon is higher damage output, but not any harder to use or aim with...

• Like (+1) 5

4 hours ago, znot said:

Yeah but it's only useful because the movement mechanics require the guns to be....

You can't keep the classic game's damage values when you can sprint, thrust, slide and jump across the map now... Now the weapons have to do more damage because of the ground you cover in the shorter amount of time... ANd the thrust requires explosions to be bigger and more deadly....

Basically it lessens the skillgap now that every weapon is higher damage output, but not any harder to use or aim with...

Shooting could easily be made more difficult. The movement is gonna be very similar to apex and if it had shooting similar it can take a lot of skill 

On 1/15/2021 at 10:03 AM, Reamis25 said:

@Hard Way look deep down I know how it sounds but it’s not ridiculous to have. Recoil can work. We have so many weapons in halo now and I have every right to believe infinite will have even more than any halo. The biggest problem halos always had with the casual players is they can’t compete. Halo is a game I don’t think has ever had multiple play styles. It’s either use the precision weapon or fall. H4&5 were the only games where running an AR while everyone else used a precision gun was ok. But in h5s case the AR is very powerful and aiming in h5 is difficult because of bs like heavy aim, but if that wasn’t the case in the game ARS would be dominated. 

Weapon does not equal playstyle.  I hear this so much.

You can be passive with a sniper, you can be aggressive with a sniper.  Halo having a dominant utility weapon doesn't mean 1 playstyle.

Also, that being said.  There's nothing wrong with 1 playstyle being viable, so long as that playstyle is skillful to execute on.  I'd take that over H5's sandbox.

• Like (+1) 4

Yeah I wouldn't mind H5's sandbox if all the weapons weren't copy pasted versions of the other factions....

I would still probably hate it but at least guns would feel unique.

I WILL give 343 props on fixing the boltshot and maybe the supressor, H4 to H5 boltshot was a massive improvement. and the supressor isn't just an SMG/AR clone anymore.

they mixed it up better

• Thonking (+0) 1

6 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Weapon does not equal playstyle.  I hear this so much.

You can be passive with a sniper, you can be aggressive with a sniper.  Halo having a dominant utility weapon doesn't mean 1 playstyle.

Also, that being said.  There's nothing wrong with 1 playstyle being viable, so long as that playstyle is skillful to execute on.  I'd take that over H5's sandbox.

Idk if you play any multiplayer games? Or even follow other communities but many will not agree with that opinion. People like a skillful play style but it eventually becomes repetitive. There’s a reason metas in games are always being changed because players don’t like having to play virtually the same way just to win a game or fight. Variety is all people desire. 

17 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

From I’ve seen based on those beach Lans I see the PR only get used when the opponent has OS. And even then it’s not really used to kill. Niche weapons are ok but they shouldn’t be the foundation for saying You have a sandbox that’s diverse because niche means only useful in certain situations. But people don’t even like stub mechanics here 

Everything you type is objectively wrong. If you were any more full of it it'd be coming out your nose!

4 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

Everything you type is objectively wrong. If you were any more full of it it'd be coming out your nose!

My favorite part is when he tells me what happens at Beach LAN.

• Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

One reason people want variety is so they don’t need to go all MLG try hard. It’s ok if weapons that don’t much skill have some power, it’s not the end of the world 

• Downvote (-1) 1

15 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

One reason people want variety is so they don’t need to go all MLG try hard. It’s ok if weapons that don’t much skill have some power, it’s not the end of the world 

Redundancy is not variety. Giving bad players shallow weapons meant to shit on better players is the reason why H5's sandbox was/is dogshit, regardless of how "useful" everything was. H5 suffers from the same exact issues H2 - Reach did, they only shifted to the opposite end of that TtK spectrum. Going "MLG tryhard" has nothing to do with sandbox quality.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

Redundancy is not variety. Giving bad players shallow weapons meant to shit on better players is the reason why H5's sandbox was/is dogshit, regardless of how "useful" everything was. H5 suffers from the same exact issues H2 - Reach did, they only shifted to the opposite end of that TtK spectrum. Going "MLG tryhard" has nothing to do with sandbox quality.

It doesn’t, and a lot of weapons currently are weaker than the utility but still are useful to use. They’re easy to use because most guns are hitscan. Hard to have guns that are difficult to aim if they’re hitscan. 

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

12 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Idk if you play any multiplayer games? Or even follow other communities but many will not agree with that opinion. People like a skillful play style but it eventually becomes repetitive. There’s a reason metas in games are always being changed because players don’t like having to play virtually the same way just to win a game or fight. Variety is all people desire. 

Well people really have no idea what they actually want so that doesn't really mean anything to me. 

I've seen a lot of devs arbitrarily shift the sandbox all the time for the sake of "variety" and "mixing up the sandbox" and every time it's a disaster. Auto Rifles usually aren't very good in Destiny, Bungie buffed them for the sake of variety and I swear to god day 1, the first time I was killed by the ridiculous overtuned exotic ARs in that game it was as annoying as being killed by it 5 months later. There is nothing fun about variety if it's not actually balanced right, which I've never actually seen done outside Halo and the classic arena shooters. And the player retention numbers will back that up every time; face to face, 1 skillful weapon will trump a sandbox of garbage every time. If you can get variety with the proper balance then, sure go for it. But every time I see that excuse it's in defense of something that is obviously broken. 

• Like (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Well people really have no idea what they actually want so that doesn't really mean anything to me. 

I've seen a lot of devs arbitrarily shift the sandbox all the time for the sake of "variety" and "mixing up the sandbox" and every time it's a disaster. Auto Rifles usually aren't very good in Destiny, Bungie buffed them for the sake of variety and I swear to god day 1, the first time I was killed by the ridiculous overtuned exotic ARs in that game it was as annoying as being killed by it 5 months later. There is nothing fun about variety if it's not actually balanced right, which I've never actually seen done outside Halo and the classic arena shooters. And the player retention numbers will back that up every time; face to face, 1 skillful weapon will trump a sandbox of garbage every time. If you can get variety with the proper balance then, sure go for it. But every time I see that excuse it's in defense of something that is obviously broken. 

Most people don’t care if something is powerful alongside a weapon that’s op that takes skill. Look at apex. Many people use easier guns that are stronger but we still have the wingman that does 45 body, and 70+ to the head. Other weapons are useful and easier to use but those who do use the wingman come out on top often. But the thing is you and others want the utility to be useful and ARS to be so weak that in a utility vs AR battle they’ll still have half of their shields left 

3 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Most people don’t care if something is powerful alongside a weapon that’s op that takes skill. Look at apex. Many people use easier guns that are stronger but we still have the wingman that does 45 body, and 70+ to the head. Other weapons are useful and easier to use but those who do use the wingman come out on top often. But the thing is you and others want the utility to be useful and ARS to be so weak that in a utility vs AR battle they’ll still have half of their shields left 

How does it not surprise me that you simultaneously hit the point on the head, and yet miss it entirely?

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

How does it not surprise me that you simultaneously hit the point on the head, and yet miss it entirely?

Dude I’ve literally seen many here say ARS should be weak AF. Enlighten me because I don’t see your perspective. I’m someone who doesn’t care about strong autos because in the grand scheme of things they won’t be in the comp playlist anyway most likely 

• Downvote (-1) 1

ARs are less elegant and methodical, total melee fests. They would need a complete overhaul to be remotely enjoyable.

On 1/16/2021 at 1:31 AM, Boyo said:

The Assault Rifle’s ability to alt-fire Railgun slugs once they’ve been picked up from off the map isn’t really giving the AR the ability to beat a precision weapon.  It’s giving the player the ability to pick up a Railgun without dropping his AR.  

By making better use of the buttons, the AR has no useful function mapped to the scope button for example, we can design a risk/reward mechanic into holding onto your AR.  By making the AR the vehicle by which rails are fired, you are giving the player a choice when he picks up a new weapon: drop the trusty utility weapon or drop the thing that turns into a power weapon once a certain pick-up is secured?  

a grenade launcher would be better suited