CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

4 hours ago, Obnokshus said:

Gears of War had something called Active Reload that would be indicated by a timer top right: Perfect timing and you get a fast reload and damage boost; Okay timing and you get a faster reload; Choke and you get a long reload. 

I always thought this system was creative but underutilized. For example, hitting different timing windows in a sequence could make the rounds reloaded in a weapon perform differently, like an alt fire.

This is how reloading works in SW Battlefront 2 as well. I like it tbh. Adds some rewarding discipline to reloading, which would otherwise be a single button press.

Active reload is just a family friendly version of the double shot.  Wow, you were able to hit a button at the right time under absolutely no pressure whatsoever?  Here, have some extra damage you pro gamer you.   

Imagine if instead of "innovating" halo with horrible movement mechanics that killed the franchise, we had abilities like quick reload, some form of doubleshot, button combos, etc... 

Halo's population may actually be respectable if we had the latter experience.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Active reload is just a family friendly version of the double shot.  Wow, you were able to hit a button at the right time under absolutely no pressure whatsoever?  Here, have some extra damage you pro gamer you.   

I hate the extra damage and trait modifiers that active reload gives, but I love the way Gears 5 does it with loadout weapons, where it's purely about speed. Also, it's either naive or intellectually dishonest to say you're never under pressure while trying to get an active.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I want recoil to be a thing in halo so ARS can be good without have to be underpowered or op.

cod warzone had that nasty dmr meta but after its nerf yesterday tons of players aren’t using it anymore because of the recoil. The gun is still strong but it’s not ridiculously op like it was before. Recoil, spread and all that jazz seems to be the only ways to nerf the ARS in halo, without weakening their power. I see so many comments regarding the weapon balance in h3 and other halos. H1 pc isn’t anything special and anyway it’s got what 5 guns? Pistol,rockets,sniper,shot gun. The plasma rifle is only for niche scenarios and AR same thing. People don’t want guns to only be good in niche scenarios believe it or not. People want to be able to fight against precision weapons when using other weapons. And I think that’s perfectly fine as long the ARS which are piss easy to use have some sort of balance to them. A quick TTK on the utility is ideal so a perfect TTK of 1.1 be ok to me and perfect TTK of the AR be 1.5 or 1.6. 

• Downvote (-1) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 2

I sure hope the aim assist isn’t super high so a mouse playwr can compete and the input is 1:1 like CS, overmatch etc. another thing I hope for is reticule customization.

If you’ve played CS,OW, and quake you can’t tell me aiming in any halo on pc feels the same. Those games(besides CS) are all about tracking and good players have no issues. And some characters have very small hit boxes too. 
On a side note hot damn I hope strafing in infinite is like overwatch’s 

1 hour ago, Aphex Twin said:

Imagine if instead of "innovating" halo with horrible movement mechanics that killed the franchise, we had abilities like quick reload, some form of doubleshot, button combos, etc... 

Do you know what all these things have in common?  Using the reload button for more actions than a simple reload.  

@Hard Way look deep down I know how it sounds but it’s not ridiculous to have. Recoil can work. We have so many weapons in halo now and I have every right to believe infinite will have even more than any halo. The biggest problem halos always had with the casual players is they can’t compete. Halo is a game I don’t think has ever had multiple play styles. It’s either use the precision weapon or fall. H4&5 were the only games where running an AR while everyone else used a precision gun was ok. But in h5s case the AR is very powerful and aiming in h5 is difficult because of bs like heavy aim, but if that wasn’t the case in the game ARS would be dominated. 

26 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Do you know what all these things have in common?  Using the reload button for more actions than a simple reload.  

Using the reload button across all hypothetical button combos isnt necessarily a requirement. 

If it was though, weapon-specific abilities is the solution. Give the pistol a CQC button combo, give rifles a doubleshot ability, give rockets quick reload, etc... 

Not all that different from implementing alt-fires, and 1000% better than advanced mobility. 

Why do ARs need to be anything more than weak side-arms to clean up half-shield opponents? 

Precision weapons should always beat full-auto weapons, that's the trade-off between using easy spray n pray weapons vs skillful precision guns. 

Casuals want to feel stronger than they do in Halo, and faster killtimes is the only way to accomplish that.  

• Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Why do ARs need to be anything more than weak side-arms to clean up half-shield opponents? 

Precision weapons should always beat full-auto weapons, that's the trade-off between using easy spray n pray weapons vs skillful precision guns. 

Casuals want to feel stronger than they do in Halo, and faster killtimes is the only way to accomplish that.  

Because it makes the casuals happy. And I agree a fast TTK can help us have those. Sorry I’d like it if both sides comp and casual can be happy. There shouldn’t be only one way to play halo. People want all guns to be viable, they don’t want the starting gun to be the only thing worth a damn. This is one reason halo no longer is popping. 

• Downvote (-1) 2

17 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

First, there’s a difference between automatic weapons and “The AR”.  The AR is your secondary spawn weapon in many multiplayer gametypes, placing it into a different category than any other auto.  Giving the AR the ability to fire Railgun ammo once it’s been picked up from off the map turns your quote-unquote useless secondary into a “power weapon in waiting”.  

For other automatics, they would derive their power from their secondary abilities.  The Spiker can alt-fire a grappling hook.  The Sentinel Beam can teleport the user through walls once its corresponding attachment has been picked up.  The Plasma Repeater can create Holographic duplicates that flank the user on either side, mimicking his movements, allowing the user to draw shots from enemies without truly exposing himself.  

The Needler is a unique automatic weapon because it automatically toggles into a secondary firemode when scoped.  It goes from firing slow, automatic, homing needle-shards to fast, semi-auto, headshot-capable needles, just by scoping.  

16 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Because it makes the casuals happy.

Just like sprint, clamber, slide, loadouts, bloom, and slow TTKs? 

Honestly I get the argument from AR fans, weapon variety in Halo has been a joke since H2 and it's so fucking boring to have 80% of the weapons in the sandbox be obsolete. The BR and DMR is overpowered in the sandbox, but not exactly rewarding to use because of the piss poor damage. And it's not like the BR in most of the games is that much harder to use than the AR, you need ONE headshot that you can easily sweep for and with H4/5s insane magnetism you can be off by at least a foot. The only games with decently hard utilities are H3 and CE (lol MCC). Turn down the AA, make them projectile and up the damage already.

Personally I wouldn't even be against making it require more than one headshot to get the perfect TTK. Probably wouldn't feel like Halo anymore, but making the utility harder to use with more lethality is the only way I see to have a 1) varied sandbox 2) decent learning curve and 3) fun to watch competitive game.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Boyo said:

First, there’s a difference between automatic weapons and “The AR”.  The AR is your secondary spawn weapon in many multiplayer gametypes, placing it into a different category than any other auto.

Apologies for stopping you here, but why do any full auto weapons (whether you spawn with them or not) need to have killing potential equal to more skillful precision weapons? 

12 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Just like sprint, clamber, slide, loadouts, bloom, and slow TTKs? 

Many casuals don’t care about sprint, slide and clamber. In fact I’d debate they like those, especially the newer generation of players that will know halo. Loadouts again there’s no loadouts in halo except in specific modes and warzone was an exception. Slow TTK, I think a fast TTK would be highly liked by the casual players. But the casuals want to be able to play with the AR or any other weapon on the map and not feel like they’re doing something wrong. It’s ok if the utility is the meta, but it’s not ok if that meta makes using anything obsolete. 

• Downvote (-1) 2
  • Thonking (+0) 1

19 minutes ago, Boyo said:

First, there’s a difference between automatic weapons and “The AR”.  The AR is your secondary spawn weapon in many multiplayer gametypes, placing it into a different category than any other auto.  Giving the AR the ability to fire Railgun ammo once it’s been picked up from off the map turns your quote-unquote useless secondary into a “power weapon in waiting”.  

For other automatics, they would derive their power from their secondary abilities.  The Spiker can alt-fire a grappling hook.  The Sentinel Beam can teleport the user through walls once its corresponding attachment has been picked up.  The Plasma Repeater can create Holographic duplicates that flank the user on either side, mimicking his movements, allowing the user to draw shots from enemies without truly exposing himself.  

The Needler is a unique automatic weapon because it automatically toggles into a secondary firemode when scoped.  It goes from firing slow, automatic, homing needle-shards to fast, semi-auto, headshot-capable needles, just by scoping.  

You know I’ve changed my mind about your thoughts, these sound like good ideas(except that sentinel beam one I’m not too sure about that one). With the holo projectile wouldn’t it be obvious though who’s the real one because one is shooting? 

1 minute ago, Reamis25 said:

Many casuals don’t care about sprint, slide and clamber. In fact I’d debate they like those. Loadouts again there’s no loadouts in halo except in specific modes and warzone was an exception.

If casuals like sprint, clamber, and slide, why didn't they play Reach - H5 as much as H1 - H3? 

Loadouts were in H4 - how did that game's population stack up against H1 - H3? 

Part of me wishes 343 would design your awful vision for Halo just to show you how wrong you are. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

If casuals like sprint, clamber, and slide, why didn't they play Reach - H5 as much as H1 - H3? 

Loadouts were in H4 - how did that game's population stack up against H1 - H3? 

Part of me wishes 343 would design your awful vision for Halo just to show you how wrong you are. 

I mean infinite looks good to a lot of people. H5 population was pretty high while it was still getting dev support. I don’t want debate population of games anyhow. The fact is this is what we have. I know you want another h1 type of game but it’s not happening. I believe ARS and other guns should be viable. I personally find it fun that I can pick up another gun and not feel like I’m stupid or trolling for doing so 

• Downvote (-1) 2

10 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

I mean infinite looks good to a lot of people.

Just like any new game pre-release?

A lot of people thought Halo Reach, Halo 4, and Halo 5 looked good pre-release - how did their respective populations stack up against H1 - H3? 

25 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Apologies for stopping you here, but why do any full auto weapons (whether you spawn with them or not) need to have killing potential equal to more skillful precision weapons? 

How many consecutive headshots do you think you could land on a strafing opponent with a zero bloom plasma rifle?  Not very many right?  There’s no rule that says we can’t reward skill just because a weapon is automatic.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

How many consecutive headshots do you think you could land on a strafing opponent with a zero bloom plasma rifle?  Not very many right?  There’s no rule that says we can’t reward skill just because a weapon is automatic.  

Eh that’s only if the projectile bullets are slow or you can strafe fast enough to make people miss like in apex legends 

2 minutes ago, Boyo said:

I'm still not sure why autos (whether we spawn with them or not) need to have killing potential equal to precision weapons. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

I'm still not sure why autos (whether we spawn with them or not) need to have killing potential equal to precision weapons. 

Automatic weapons do not need to have a killing potential equal to that of precision weapons.  

As I said previously, autos derive their power from their secondary abilities.  A spiker is no huge threat on its own but its alt-fire grappling hook can put the user in a position to make good use of its primary fire.  In addition, spikes embed themselves in walls when impact is perpendicular, creating temporary jump-ups.  Like homing needles, automatic projectiles can have special traits that give them small benefits in specific scenarios.  

7 minutes ago, Boyo said:

automatic projectiles can have special traits that give them small benefits in specific scenarios.  

Sure, like quick camo with the AR or stun with the PR.

I dont think there's anything wrong with niche benefits like these, but I dont think autos should ever be able to beat a precision weapon (AR firing railgun slugs for example).