CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

anyone else ever sit on a good idea for so longi t starts becoming a shit idea in your mind

got a bunch of good gameplays for a vid, everythings all set

and i dont wanna do it anymore, ROFL

Infinite has to be a game that becomes more enjoyable as my skill and experience grow, not devolve into a frustrating mess where I'm frothing at the mouth due to the 11380273927 idiotic design decisions (See Halo 3 Team Slayer).

If it can do that, I will take it and get at least some enjoyment out of it. 

1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

Infinite has to be a game that becomes more enjoyable as my skill and experience grow, not devolve into a frustrating mess where I'm frothing at the mouth due to the 11380273927 idiotic design decisions (See Halo 3 Team Slayer).

If it can do that, I will take it and get at least some enjoyment out of it. 

If you hate the movement of h5 you won’t enjoy this game 

10 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

If you hate the movement of h5 you won’t enjoy this game 

Ehh well see. Reach proved that maps can work for sprint and without sprint. And we already saw most of the other stuff will be pickups on the map (grapple at least) We just need an org that's not afraid to turn off the bad mechanics.

Granted Reach only worked that way cause not everyone had sprint, so the maps weren't totally stretched out but well see.

Lets be really realistic for a second and acknowledge that sprint is going nowhere and we will be subjected to at least a few months of whatever new features are added to the game unless 343 relinquishes control of the settings and we get lucky in that whoever does gain control after that point understands Halo past and present.

By understand I mean someone who has experienced playing competitively and for fun socially so that they have some concept of what really is frustrating and no fun to play and what generally does work in a competitive environment. We really don't need someone with their own distinct vision of how Halo should change. We just need someone to say no so that the game can as quickly as possible evolve into something enjoyable at a high level for the competitive players. The crazy/wacky ideas are fine for people and playlists where no intelligent gameplay takes place but it really does need to be barred from environments where people take thing seriously and competitively a lot of the time. Fun and interesting ideas quickly become a reason that a game isn't fun when players are better or more knowledgeable and begin to exploit the design failures of cool sounding ideas.

Really we need to just stop trying to compromise between the casual and competitive experience. If something really just doesn't work at a high level then it really just needs to be removed regardless of the feelings surrounding it by the people who created that piece of content. We shouldn't, for example, settle for less ammo in their new favorite power weapon if its just over powered and easy. It needs to be removed from the map competitively. If they want to actually have real balancing cycles and revisit it in a flight or a test playlist that's fine but action needs to be taken for the health of the game and community as soon as possible rather than us having to experience sagas of very minor tweaks and flat out bad gameplay for months or even years. The community surrounding the esport needs to be taken care of quickly if they want that community to reach its potential. We should be moving towards a better game rather than moving towards some familiarity experiment where we're trying to make a casual player feel at home on a competitive map by leaving little reminders of potentially unbalanced or silly things they like. They should either balance those mechanics to work in both modes or just drop them from the competitive experience. The alternative is just something like Halo 5 where the casual player is still lost and the competitive player is frustrated by annoying mechanics and items laying around the map.

It feels like they function under the assumption that casual fun and competitive balance are mutually exclusive so they attempt a compromise despite games such as CS proving that to be incorrect. The real problem is poor design when you have a clash between the two. The biggest problem that Halo has ever had is that divergent design where we somehow split into two main paths of what the game is or should be. There should be one single thread of what Halo multiplayer is with very minor offshoots for fun or whatever but instead bungie, 343 and the community allowed/supported all of these different groups fracturing off into whatever gameplay they could design and dream up and the actual design of a Halo game at this point is a huge fucking mess because of it. So much so that I don't really think its reversible or something that can be fixed at this point without just rebooting the entire series. If you think about it you can see that up to a point it was working but with Reach where everything really kind of took a life of its own and different modes were really different the series began tanking.

We just gotta get back to where everyone is playing Halo with some minor alterations rather than having 5 different versions of Halo in every new game

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Snipe Three said:

Really we need to just stop trying to compromise between the casual and competitive experience.

It’s not casual vs competitive.  It’s chaotic vs controlled.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, znot said:

Ehh well see. Reach proved that maps can work for sprint and without sprint. And we already saw most of the other stuff will be pickups on the map (grapple at least) We just need an org that's not afraid to turn off the bad mechanics.

Granted Reach only worked that way cause not everyone had sprint, so the maps weren't totally stretched out but well see.

Here’s the problem. They’re only bad mechanics to a niche variety and the bad mechanics to you and many others here are sprint and clamber. Most likely the things being turned off are equipment like hook and that shield thing and so on.

2 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

We just gotta get back to where everyone is playing Halo with some minor alterations rather than having 5 different versions of Halo in every new game

So basically universal settings with some tweaks and there for comp. I believe a way to compromise so casual players can come into comp or even watch the game and feel at home. 
1. Advanced radar. This radar only reveals your location when firing or sprinting(I think if this games maps are smaller than 5s it should just be shooting.) and this radar should be universal so flanks that work in no radar can still occur. This works well in cod and in h5 it also worked very well

2. For comp no equipment unless they’re not over powered and actually offer something unique and isn’t something op or stalemating gameplay. 

I’ve always wanted a minimap than a radar. You know how in cod and other games how you get a mini map that shows where you’re at on a map? 

A Halo gametype with the scale of a Battlefield game is clearly something that people want. After all, Halo already has a lot of vehicles that'd fit the mode nicely.

Think about how many times you've read posts from players who'd love to fly a pelican in multiplayer to transport players/vehicles to varying locations on the battlefield. It seems like it'd be hard to actually pull it off with regards to map design, but it's worth a shot and would certainly get many people excited to play a new Halo game again.

What Halo needs is not necessarily new mechanics that changes the experience in the core gamemodes (although 343 should definitely try and create a fresh experience), but rather, it needs to have new experiences that create gameplay interactions players have never had before. Bring something new and fun to the table, and players will flock in to experience something they can't anywhere else. Scaling Halo up provides many opportunities to create something new.

• Like (+1) 8

Honestly I think Halo does the infantry-vehicle interactions much better than BF. I don't really know if modes like Rush and Conquest would actually work in Halo, with the slow TTK and teamshot meta it sounds like a nightmare to cap a position against numbers advantages, but we'll see. I really hope this means WZ is gone for good, together with P2W MTX, REQs and the lazy base design on the WZ maps. 

On 1/9/2021 at 2:39 PM, Reamis25 said:

You’re garbage at every halo but one, what does that tell me? That you can’t play for shit. I’d play you in any game and you’d get your shit rocked. Fine I’ll you play you in CE, GT Reamis

ce isn’t the most skilled halo and never will be! It’s not a fact! 

k2GtADE.png

• Like (+1) 9

1 hour ago, Basu said:

I really hope this means WZ is gone for good, together with P2W MTX, REQs and the lazy base design on the WZ maps. 

Were It So Easy... - Album on Imgur

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 2

BTB 2.0 sounds cool. 

Weapon pads are coming back. Do you think they're gonna make the same boneheaded decision from H5 to alert all players to spawning power weapons? 

15 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

The logical thing to do would be to have made an excellent base movement speed and strafe, and different game modes would have allowed for different abilities and pick ups. 

The best time to do this was over ten years ago. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Damn I was just watching this vid

And he brings up a point about platforming. One of my favorite things about Destiny 1 & 2 was some of the platforming that some levels have. I kinda want a ubisoft esque tower-climb/platforming areas around infinite where you have to get to these sick forerunner installations or just find cool hidden easter eggs that are hard to find.

Like im sure the warthog runs used to give ppl the same feeling of "oh shit" but for me, it's platforming and having my feet almost slip over the edge after a long fall *in first person*

5 minutes ago, Obnokshus said:

The logical thing to do would be to have made an excellent base movement speed and strafe, and different game modes would have allowed for different abilities and pick ups. 

Yes, a robust, modular sandbox benefits both core modes and niche gametypes.  Like how Reach used Evade as an Elite ability in Invasion as well as a zombie ability in Infection.   

3 minutes ago, znot said:

platforming

Are there any movement abilities that would enhance the platforming experience?  

8 hours ago, TI Inspire said:

A Halo gametype with the scale of a Battlefield game is clearly something that people want. After all, Halo already has a lot of vehicles that'd fit the mode nicely.

Think about how many times you've read posts from players who'd love to fly a pelican in multiplayer to transport players/vehicles to varying locations on the battlefield. It seems like it'd be hard to actually pull it off with regards to map design, but it's worth a shot and would certainly get many people excited to play a new Halo game again.

What Halo needs is not necessarily new mechanics that changes the experience in the core gamemodes (although 343 should definitely try and create a fresh experience), but rather, it needs to have new experiences that create gameplay interactions players have never had before. Bring something new and fun to the table, and players will flock in to experience something they can't anywhere else. Scaling Halo up provides many opportunities to create something new.

I love MLG Halo.  It's fun, it's competitive, and it's a great display of some boiled down skillful play.

But never let anyone trick you into thinking that 4v4 Halo is how Halo was meant to be played.  BTB is true Halo.

• Like (+1) 2

Weapon pads are coming back. Do you think they're gonna make the same boneheaded decision from H5 to alert all players to spawning power weapons? 

Aboarding all players to- and ensuring consistency in the mechanic that creates movement and confrontation is boneheaded?

No, not at all. The icon showing exactly when someone picks up the weapon is though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

BTB 2.0 sounds cool. 

Most likely as they were in h4&5. And tbh I actually like that since it puts players on alert that the enemy has rockets or sniper i just hope if we do get some massive BTB mode of 24 players, 32,64 or 100 then we will get something, we can have that many in customs. I never liked how in h5 warzone was the only mode you could play with 24 players, and even more so it was mm only. Customs should be allowed as many players as the mode with the most players. It be real something too because if this BTB is 64,100,(I hope so) then we won’t have to worry too much about full teams as much. It’s far easier to get 8-12 people than a full 16,32, or 50 players.

Being in 4 and 5 should never be a reason to include something in Infinite.  If the Devs can't understand that, we are doomed.  

"Hey! It was in our last failing game.  Lets keep it in there and see if our new game doesn't fail...."

What kind of logic is that?

11 minutes ago, RatherSilentMr said:

Being in 4 and 5 should never be a reason to include something in Infinite.  If the Devs can't understand that, we are doomed.  

"Hey! It was in our last failing game.  Lets keep it in there and see if our new game doesn't fail...."

What kind of logic is that?

Well they’re obviously keeping sprint and clamber. Now most people don’t give a fuck about clamber in halo but sprint is something and they’re obviously keeping that. And I don’t think people seeing if a power weapon has been taken is a huge deal. I think it’s perfectly fine tbh even in comp. it puts people on alert that the enemy team is packing. 

What kind of pick-ups could enhance BTB 2.0?  

The Chariot is a piece of equipment that, upon deployment, materializes a small vehicle beneath the user.  In addition to shielding his lower frontal quadrant, the vehicle promptly moves the user forward at high speed.  

While boosting forward, the user can turn the vehicle left and right but cannot slow down.  Aiming and firing is possible within a limited forward vector.  To stop, the Chariot must be manually disabled with the B button.  

1 hour ago, potetr said:

Aboarding all players to- and ensuring consistency in the mechanic that creates movement and confrontation is boneheaded?

No, not at all. The icon showing exactly when someone picks up the weapon is though.

People should have to time weapons, actually. 

And yes, giving people an indicator as to when the weapon is picked up is obviously dumb

Put weapon times and powerup times on the map loading screen or pre-game lobby or something. There's no need for hand-holding in the name of consistency. It's like putting another reticle on the screen that shows players exactly how much to lead their shots. 

8 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Put weapon times and powerup times on the map loading screen or pre-game lobby or something.

How about a little weapon icon next to the game clock that appears 30 seconds before the spawn of static power items?  The icon flashes on the 3, 2, 1 countdown then disappears.  When the notification is a part of the 2D HUD, it doesn’t add as much to the visual clutter.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1