CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

2 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

One thing I’d like to see in infinite would be smoke grenades. Smoke grenades you get no aim assist if on controller until the opponent is actually visible(similar to how camo works) this way the smoke does what it needs todo. I believe smoke grenades were in one of the halo campaigns? Certain weapons on the map. Let’s take certain req weapons and have a BR with a holo. This BR while scoped can see camo and see through smoke. 

Frags in H3 were pretty smoky, but I don't recall a straight-up smoke grenade.

Smoke nades? Meh, I don't think Halo's gameplay calls for those sort of tactics.

33 minutes ago, TeeJaY said:

Smoke nades? Meh, I don't think Halo's gameplay calls for those sort of tactics.

Your father's active camo.  This is the power up of a Spartan.  Not as clumsy or random as a smoke grenade.  An elegant power up...for a more civilized age.  

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

News flash halo isn’t a non tactical game it’s a good variety if I had to say. Imagine running a flag and your teammate throws a smoke so the enemy can’t shoot him in the back as easily? 

• Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

News flash halo isn’t a non tactical game it’s a good variety if I had to say. Imagine running a flag and your teammate throws a smoke so the enemy can’t shoot him in the back as easily? 

That's cool and all but what makes you think smoke nades won't just turn into frustrating bullshit like 90% of Halo items? You need to think about the repercussions too, not just tactical applications. There's a reason H3 equipment was taken off the maps even though they offered plenty of tactical potential.

58 minutes ago, TeeJaY said:

That's cool and all but what makes you think smoke nades won't just turn into frustrating bullshit like 90% of Halo items? You need to think about the repercussions too, not just tactical applications. There's a reason H3 equipment was taken off the maps even though they offered plenty of tactical potential.

The reason they were taken off the map was because the equipment wasn’t balanced worth a fuck. In OG 30fps h3 that regen you were unkillable unless you had the sniper and managed a headshot in time before your death.  The bubble shield caused stalemates and other bs. The smoke grenades don’t prevent you from shooting or let their shields recharge 24/7. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Smokes have been talked about before. The consensus is usually 1) Halo has had enough trendy FPS stuff shoehorned in already and 2) a Halo game that has so many stalemates that you need smoke grenades as a bandaid is probably another shit entry to the series. See below:

On 3/23/2017 at 8:04 AM, MultiLockOn said:

Halo doesn't need smoke grenades so long as we don't have ******** maps like Guardian with a massive top mid

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

The smoke grenades don’t prevent you from shooting

Sure, it just prevents you from hitting your shots. Which means you're either going to spray and pray (which leads to randomness, which we all loved in Reach amirite) or you're going to switch to your Assault Rifle (because we all love easy Autos in Halo amirite)

39 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Smoke monster > smoke grenade

Anyone ever read Prey?  

no but i saw Lost

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

no but i saw Lost

Do you think a shapeless mass like the smoke monster could feasibly be implemented as a “vehicle” or transformative power up in BTB/Invasion Halo?  

• Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Do you think a shapeless mass like the smoke monster could feasibly be implemented as a “vehicle” or transformative power up in BTB/Invasion Halo?  

"Flood Spore Cloud". Boom, it fits the lore.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

12 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

The reason they were taken off the map was because the equipment wasn’t balanced worth a fuck. In OG 30fps h3 that regen you were unkillable unless you had the sniper and managed a headshot in time before your death.  The bubble shield caused stalemates and other bs. The smoke grenades don’t prevent you from shooting or let their shields recharge 24/7. 

If you're talking about why MLG took them off the map, that may be the case.

Bungie removed the Radar Jammer and Flare because of in-game exploits that allowed you to throw them at your feet, jump off of them, and escape the map.  The Power Drain also allowed this, but was left in game because you'd nearly die in the process.

4 hours ago, JordanB said:

Sure, it just prevents you from hitting your shots. Which means you're either going to spray and pray (which leads to randomness, which we all loved in Reach amirite) or you're going to switch to your Assault Rifle (because we all love easy Autos in Halo amirite)

In terms of smoke I’d say the randomness that provides is ok. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

53 minutes ago, TiberiusAudley said:

If you're talking about why MLG took them off the map, that may be the case.

Bungie removed the Radar Jammer and Flare because of in-game exploits that allowed you to throw them at your feet, jump off of them, and escape the map.  The Power Drain also allowed this, but was left in game because you'd nearly die in the process.

I remember using that exploit in some puzzle maps. I'm pretty sure only the host could do it too.

after many years of aim assist issues with smoke grenades in the call of duty series I see no way for these to impact arena play in a positive way for controller players

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Obnokshus said:

after many years of aim assist issues with smoke grenades in the call of duty series I see no way for these to impact arena play in a positive way for controller players

That’s what they’re meant to do! A mouse user can’t just be perfect aim into smoke. If you could get aim assist through smoke it be null n void 

I don't see smoke grenades having any tangible use other than annoyance in Halo. The game is too fluid for them to provide utility outside of extremely niche scenarios. Sure, you may be able to block a sight line for a flag run, but are you really going to go out of your way to secure smoke grenades for that one niche purpose? Probably not.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

I don't see smoke grenades having any tangible use other than annoyance in Halo. The game is too fluid for them to provide utility outside of extremely niche scenarios. Sure, you may be able to block a sight line for a flag run, but are you really going to go out of your way to secure smoke grenades for that one niche purpose? Probably not.

Possibly, and one is to possibly to distract people. There’s quite a bit that could be done with them 

343 you've won already, now just reveal yourselves instead of making us deal with this.

• Like (+1) 1

The Laser Designator is an upgrade to the Rocket Launcher’s base abilities.  Continuing to hold RT after firing activates the laser, causing the airborne rocket to travel towards the targeted area.  

The length of time RT must be held for before the laser guidance kicks in prevents usage inside of medium-long range.  The visible laser, requiring line of sight from player to target, allows the enemy team to counter guided rockets by backing-down/killing the operator or by blocking his view of the target.  

In conjunction with the laser, the scope becomes more effective, able to hit ranged targets if left unchallenged.  Anti-vehicle capabilities are increased without resorting to hand-holding mechanics like lock-on.  The power of rockets is appropriately scaled up for larger, vehicle-filled maps without affecting its arena usage.  

Now that we’ve increased the effective range of the Rocket Launcher, let’s look at how the Plasma Launcher could be more powerful in close quarters.  Charging then firing a burst of homing stickies is fine for distant vehicles but nearby infantry need to be engaged and dispatched quicker and more rapidly.  

A semi automatic firemode that launches remotely detonated stickies allows for a 1-2 punch of stick-detonate that can be repeated against multiple close range infantry opponents.  

The SAW is both a player-movement enhancer and a remotely operated vehicle-hunter vehicle, depending on which firemode is used.  One mode allows the user to ride up a wall, steering left and right with the triggers along the way.  The other mode rolls the spiked wheel forward, remotely steered left and right with the triggers, and attempts to splatter players and vehicles.  

The Scepter fires 3sk projectiles, like a scoped Light Rifle, and alt-fires a reach-like grenade launcher, a remotely detonated EMP and small incineration charge.  

On 1/4/2021 at 9:13 PM, Reamis25 said:

I just imagined it and it sucked.  Your idea sucks. Go back to CoD or git gud

4 hours ago, RatherSilentMr said:

I just imagined it and it sucked.  Your idea sucks. Go back to CoD or git gud

Dude I can whoop you in halo any day of the week 

• Salt (-1) 1

Problems with smoke grenades in Halo:

1. Breaking aim assist is a requirement for a functional smoke, otherwise players can "feel" you out without seeing you by swiping or dragging the reticle. Slow TtK leaves this open to abuse if players spawn with it.

2. If players don't spawn with it, it's highly debatable players will go out of their way to pick it up in the face of more lethal options and a lack of any real punishment for exposing yourself. It essentially will just become a gimmick that exasperates the slow TtK further.

3. I'm with Multi on the map design front. Smokes won't even be necessary if maps account for proper sightlines.

4. Smoke also needs to cover a decent amount of area to be effective, and depending on how fast it comes out and covers that area, comes with a whole host of issues depending on its deployment speed. If instant, breaking AA would make it completely broken and obnoxious to deal with. If delayed and takes a second or two to reach maximum area, you risk smokes becoming useless in a fast paced environment.

Frankly I don't think there's anything in Halo's gameplay loop that cries a need for smoke grenades. Grenades should supplement a more aggressive approach to gameplay.

• Like (+1) 2