CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

8 hours ago, Boyo said:

If Chief fires his grappling hook onto the back of a speeding warthog, he can go parasailing.  

UNSC Infantry Glider

Control: The equipment is picked up by walking over or by exchanging other equipment with. The equipment is activated by pressing the jump button whilst already in midair, and deactivated by the pressing the jump button while the equipment is already activated. 

Right Bumper and Left Bumper control the pitch axis of the glider, allowing the pilot to travel upwards or downwards. Travelling downwards will allow the user to gain velocity, travelling upwards will sacrifice a portion of the user's velocity. 

The Movement Stick controls the direction of the  glider's movement. The sharper the turn attempted by the player, the greater the drop in velocity and increase in drag. To avoid this, the player must manually shift his reticle to the direction he wants to travel in. 

While the infantry glider is equipped, the player can throw grenades and fire their primary + secondary weapons normally. 

Uses: 5 uses of upto 30s duration each. 

Spawn: Generic 2:30 static. 

Brief Breakdown: On larger maps with high levels of verticality and very high positions, this equipment allows the user to traverse the whole map very quickly, and with a much lower risk of death and a smaller hitbox than by using an aerial vehicle. Land based vehicles also need to treat any players with these as an active threat, since their high speed and maneuverability allows them to target and pursue said vehicles very effectively with grenades and power weapons. 

Also, it'd be fun as fuck. Imagine playing 16v16 on some of the incredibly tall HCE BTB maps, like Danger Canyon, Gephyrophobia, Ice Fields, or even maps like District and Sandtrap after getting to the highest spots. 

Since you can’t run or strafe while gliding, wouldn’t it make more sense to use left/right on the movement thumbstick to turn and up/down to pitch upward or downward?  Otherwise, what abilities are mapped to the bumpers that you’re giving up to control the glider?  

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

I really want to make a video called "343 Hate Halo" because it's true and I have all the evidence but my own YouTube channel is in the midst of 400% growth and I taking time away from that to work on an anti-343 vid that will get 500 views is probably not worth it.

So let me just say it here.

343 hate Halo and are slowly but surely erasing it's history and legacy. Oceania have always been at war with Eastasia.

Sometimes I watch the old trailers over and over to convince myself that Halo is still badass and relevant.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How does the player become airborne while elevated enough to be effective ie not just jumping off a crate like a child jumping off the roof of the garage with an umbrella?  Should he climb a hill?  Launch out of a man cannon?  Teleport to an elevated area?  Are there any sister abilities that would pair well with glider, perhaps aiding in the player’s quest to get high enough to use it.  

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

Since you can’t run or strafe while gliding, wouldn’t it make more sense to use left/right on the movement thumbstick to turn and up/down to pitch upward or downward?  Otherwise, what abilities are mapped to the bumpers that you’re giving up to control the glider?  

There wouldn't be any real need to "strafe". The speed and maneuverability granted by the glider, combined with the modified player model would already make it pretty hard to land shots accurately, even moreso with a zero-magnetism projectile utility weapon. It'd be like trying to land a perfect 4-shot on the antigravity pods at the tip of the Banshee's wings in Halo 2, while said Banshee was a third of the map away and escaping fast. 

Also, I feel like that'd be janky as hell. 

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

How does the player become airborne while elevated enough to be effective ie not just jumping off a crate like a child jumping off the roof of the garage with an umbrella?  Should he climb a hill?  Launch out of a man cannon?  Teleport to an elevated area?  Are there any sister abilities that would pair well with glider, perhaps aiding in the player’s quest to get high enough to use it.  

The player doesn't have to reach the absolute highest point on the map, just any point that's reasonably high relative to the surrounding area. 

After the player is airborne, the player should be able to stay in the air indefinitely at roughly the same altitude (barring things like wall collisions and time exhaustions). Basically, a certain "minimum" forward velocity will keep the player from falling out of the sky. Combined with how the player sacrifices velocity for height and vice versa, this puts a lid on some of the more nonsensical stuff made capable. 

This adds an interesting dynamic where the player has full reign of all the airspace below or equal to his initial altitude, and is encouraged to seek out higher points. If the player wants to, they can stay airborne at regular "grounded" Spartan height, but that'd be completely pointless and self-defeating. 

I don't know how I feel about dual-equipment interaction, because it gets hard enough to balance single-equipment interaction. All the things you listed are valid ways to gain altitude, though. 

I haven't thought of much other sandbox interaction mostly because I just came up with the idea. 

Gaining and Maintaining Elevation with Sister Abilities Sphere and Glider

Sphere - press A to transform into a bowling ball that can roll around and jump but not attack 

Glider - press LB while airborne to reduce descent speed, increase forward movement speed, and allow the player to steer his vehicle-self 

Similar to Evade-jumping off a hill, the Sphere can launch itself off the map’s inclined surfaces like a snowboarder going off a ramp and catching air.  In conjunction with map geometry, Sphere grants access to the elevation required for Glider to function effectively.  

Sphere is the elevator that brings you to the sky-ride (elevated Glider).  

On 12/30/2020 at 8:56 PM, Shekkles said:

I really want to make a video called "343 Hate Halo" because it's true and I have all the evidence but my own YouTube channel is in the midst of 400% growth and I taking time away from that to work on an anti-343 vid that will get 500 views is probably not worth it.

So let me just say it here.

343 hate Halo and are slowly but surely erasing it's history and legacy. Oceania have always been at war with Eastasia.

Make it. But don't release it until halo news starts coming out and halo related media starts trending. That way you can ride the algorithm wave.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Make it. But don't release it until halo news starts coming out and halo related media starts trending. That way you can ride the algorithm wave.

I'm already riding the wave but for a completely different genre and I want to continue this. If it dips I'll get back around to it or if I get more free time.

How would you redesign the sword/hammer such that they aren't brainlessly easy weapons to use? 

10 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

How would you redesign the sword/hammer such that they aren't brainlessly easy weapons to use? 

Sword is reduced to a handful of swings that deplete when a strike connects. Striking a wall will allow you to embed the sword and create a platform on the sword handle that the player can stand or jump off of. 

Gravity hammer's knockback when swung in the air has dramatically increased self knockback. Swings that connect to an enemy drain by 25%. 

9 minutes ago, Obnokshus said:

Striking a wall will allow you to embed the sword and create a platform on the sword handle that the player can stand or jump off of. 

Seems like a steep price to pay for a jump up.  Plus, it seems counter intuitive to sacrifice your power weapon right before taking a sneaky route into the enemy base or whatever.  

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Don't have them in competitive multiplayer. So many weapons are fine or even great for campaign but get shoehorned into MP for some asinine reason.

• Like (+1) 1

The Sword and the Hammer being battery operated melee weapons puts them in a unique position to be redesigned.  There are four buttons per weapon that could be repurposed towards a new goal:  fire, scope, reload, melee.  

We must ask ourselves, what do we want from each weapon?  What should a sword allow a player to do?  Find motherfuckers and kill motherfuckers.  What playstyle should a hammer encourage?  For me, that answer is usually promote aggression and encourage movement.  

How do we achieve these goals?  The sword turns the user into a hunter of men by giving him a footprint tracker and an activatable speedboost (find them, kill them).  The hammer promotes aggression by giving the user the ability to blast incoming grenades away with a outgoing shockwave, allowing him to pass through choke points that pose great risk of death via nade bath.  To encourage movement, the hammer’s other ability pulls an objective to the user from close-medium range causing the objective to attach itself to the hammer so it can be carried like a speedflag (attraction/repulsion theme).  

2 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Remove lunge. 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Remove lunge. 

Nah, make the lunge part of the weapon's usage, rather than automatic.  Instead of lock-lunging any time you pull the trigger with a red reticule, you hold right trigger and it charges a distance -- tap right trigger is just instant slash in front of you, up to a full second is a normal length sword lunge that cuts the first person you run into on the lunge (and stops you at that point).

(Though, this would likely cripple the Sword in a game designed around gunfighting.)

• Like (+1) 1

How do you think they're going to monetize the free multiplayer? Will there be lootboxes again? will they dedicate half the MP to selling P2W items again? I kinda doubt a 500 million budget can be recouped from cosmetic items alone, even if each color and emblem costs 5$.

1 hour ago, Basu said:

How do you think they're going to monetize the free multiplayer? Will there be lootboxes again? will they dedicate half the MP to selling P2W items again? I kinda doubt a 500 million budget can be recouped from cosmetic items alone, even if each color and emblem costs 5$.

Dude fortnite and other games are pure examples of making huge profits greater than that off of skins, emotes, dances etc. games don’t need to p2W mechanics to make hella $$. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Basu said:

Well we know that color is now a microtransaction. Id say we're already off to a bad start.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Dude fortnite and other games are pure examples of making huge profits greater than that off of skins, emotes, dances etc. games don’t need to p2W mechanics to make hella $$. 

Halo will never offer customization as deep as Fortnite. Everyone will still be a red or blue Spartan 99% of the time, plus the game is largely first person. Post game dance offs died years ago, but I guess that means 343 is just about ready to drop em.

7 hours ago, Basu said:

Halo will never offer customization as deep as Fortnite. Everyone will still be a red or blue Spartan 99% of the time, plus the game is largely first person. Post game dance offs died years ago, but I guess that means 343 is just about ready to drop em.

Ok then weapon, vehicle skins which have been confirmed. They could add in game dance moves people can use. Sure some people for immersion sake may not like that, but I doubt a lot really care. There’s also assasination animations etc. hell most games make all their money from gun skins when it comes to shooters. I’ve said this before but if they were to say get a super man or a Batman skin on a vehicle like the banshee, or human flying vehicle(hornet, falcon, wasp, pelican etc) and charge 10$ for it, so many would buy that single skin. A battle pass that has some of the best skins around level 90-100(most games BP’s have 100 tiers) and paying $$ to skip ahead happens all the time. Making cosmetics unlock able through grinds or purchase makes the $$. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Once the user has killed three enemies with the battery operated Symbiote Rifle, the X button can be pressed to activate a special ability.  

6 minutes ago, Boyo said:

... the X button can be pressed to activate a special ability.  

Sprint/thrust/clamber/slide disabled for all players for the remainder of the match?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Sprint/thrust/clamber/slide disabled for all players for the remainder of the match?

Keep dreaming 

Using Weapon Attachments and Secondary Ammo Types to Promote Movement/Aggression after Weapon Pick Up 

On symmetric maps, spawn two of the same weapon, one in each team’s base.  Spawn one centrally located weapon attachment or secondary ammo type that the two opposing players with the corresponding weapon can fight over.  

Using Unlockable Weapon Abilities to Promote Movement/Aggression after Weapon Pick Up 

On asymmetric maps, spawn one weapon that gains a unique ability after a damage per time threshold is breached.  

Sand Blaster (weapon) 

While standing on sand, ammo automatically refills.  If there is no sand on the map, the ammo the weapon spawns with is all it will ever have. 

RT - long range, semi auto, [email protected] 

LT - close range, flat wide aoe, continuous [email protected]

LT+RT - medium range, concentrated to a point aoe, continuous [email protected]

After the weapon gets 2 kills in 20 seconds, 3 kills in 40 seconds, or 4 kills in 60 seconds, the X button’s function unlocks, allowing the user to transform into the Golem, a shape shifting entity that can switch between shadow, sinkhole, and sandman forms.  

One thing I’d like to see in infinite would be smoke grenades. Smoke grenades you get no aim assist if on controller until the opponent is actually visible(similar to how camo works) this way the smoke does what it needs todo. I believe smoke grenades were in one of the halo campaigns? Certain weapons on the map. Let’s take certain req weapons and have a BR with a holo. This BR while scoped can see camo and see through smoke.