CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

On 12/27/2020 at 7:27 AM, _Synapse said:

Post how you'd redesign powerups or any new powerups you'd make.

First, I would make all powerups last 45s (for OS this is decay time) with a 60s static timer.

Speed boost by itself is pretty useless outside of maybe CTF and Assault. I'd rather have something like Haste:

• +40% higher rate of fire
  • +20% enhanced movement speed and acceleration
  • +40% faster weapon switching, equipment usage, reloading + melee attacks
  • +20% shield recharge rate

Then I'd love to see a vampirism powerup:

Vampirism

Charge Time: Instant.

Duration: 45s.

Spawn Time: 60s static.

Traits: 50% of the damage the user inflicts on enemies is returned instantly to user as health or energy shields respectively. Player can supercharge their shields up to a full overshield.

I also thinking turning the Sword into a powerup would be sick:

Berserk

Charge Time: Instant.

Duration: 45s.

Spawn Time: 60s static.

Traits: Allow the player to kill enemies in one single melee hit. The player can still use the active weapon, but melee is replaced by a 3.5-meter dash in any direction (like the Genji ult in Overwatch). Give them glowing hands, claws like wolverine or something like an energy bayonet to showcase this.

Then like Sitri said, stackable single layer OS would make a good addition as well. Damage boost would be great if it didn't break the sandbox.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Basu said:

Vampirism

Eh I was thinking of an ability that lets you instantly recharge upon kill, as this sounds a bit unbalanced or useless. Because if in a 1v1 fight the opponent would lose undoubtedly unlsss they had sniper or something and got some no scope. It be useless if it doesn’t recharge during a battle. It would require team shooting this person most of the time. 

5 hours ago, Basu said:

Then like Sitri said, stackable single layer OS would make a good addition as well.

Aren’t there more interesting ways of enhancing vitality than stacking the same basic power up?  

Shield Collar - absorbs one precision headshot while shieldless 

Gravity Vest - damage from bodyshots/explosions is reduced by half 

Exaltation - nearby teammates gain 125% damage resistance 

5 hours ago, Basu said:

Vampirism

50% of the damage the user inflicts on enemies is returned instantly to user as health or energy shields respectively. Player can supercharge their shields up to a full overshield.

Regarding vampirism, @MultiLockOntalked about a power up that puts a decay on your normal shield layer, forcing the player to deal damage to merely survive while simultaneously allowing him to vampire into OS layers.  This would be more interesting than a basic vampirism power up as it could provide a natural “burn” mechanic ie if you grab it with no shields, you die.  

I’m not inherently opposed to a generic vampirism power up but I would prefer to implement vampirism through specific items so that I have more control over the parameters, namely the range at which they can be used.  Notice how both vampirism items are only effective at close range?  The user can’t maintain an OS by popping off long range pot shots.  

Light Blade - melee an enemy to begin your shield recharge 

Conduit - This device is categorized as a grenade type but it is not thrown like a typical grenade.  Almost like a single-use dual-wield weapon, the player model’s left hand fires a short range continuous beam for 0.9s, vampiring 1 shield layer per second from a contacted player.  After use, the spent device is automatically dropped, like an empty soda can.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Boyo said:

Aren’t there more interesting ways of enhancing vitality than stacking the same basic power up?  

Shield Collar - absorbs one precision headshot while shieldless 

Gravity Vest - damage from bodyshots/explosions is reduced by half 

Exaltation - nearby teammates gain 125% damage resistance 

I'm actually kinda digging the first two. Would make for more interesting pickups, especially if they can be stacked and combined with OS even. If there was a good way to portray this on the characters/armor I'd be all for them. Exaltation seems like it would just lead to even more hand-holding. In something like CE it could maybe work, but in H2-5 this sounds pretty cancerous.

Regarding vampirism, @MultiLockOntalked about a power up that puts a decay on your normal shield layer, forcing the player to deal damage to merely survive while simultaneously allowing him to vampire into OS layers.  This would be more interesting than a basic vampirism power up. 

That sounds cool for an action sack gametype (didnt' COD Ghosts have something like that?), but I don't see the point in giving a powerup an inherent disadvantage. Also sounds like people would just run and hide from the vampire if they could play the clock and wait for him to kill himself. I meant it would have to be tested, maybe this is a sick idea, but on paper it doesn't convince me.

I’m not inherently opposed to a generic vampirism power up but I would prefer to implement vampirism through specific items so that I have more control over the parameters, namely the range at which they can be used.  Notice how both vampirism items are only effective at close range?  The user can’t maintain an OS by popping off long range pot shots. 

Uh why not? If the primary does decent damage they could get an OS from typical long range battles like base-base on middy or cross map on Hang Em.

Light Blade - melee an enemy to begin your shield recharge

This is way too niche to be useful as a powerup or pickup. Sounds like a H5 warzone attachment.

Conduit - This device is categorized as a grenade type but it is not thrown like a typical grenade.  Almost like a single-use dual-wield weapon, the player model’s left hand fires a short range continuous beam for 0.9s, vampiring 1 shield layer per second from a contacted player.  After use, the spent device is automatically dropped, like an empty soda can.  

Good idea, this reminds me of the Syphon Grenade in DOOM 2016. 0.9s sounds pretty long though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Basu said:

Uh why not? If the primary does decent damage they could get an OS from typical long range battles like base-base on middy or cross map on Hang Em.

I like to use vampirism to reward players who put themselves in the thick of it.  If you’re cross mapping, you can just duck behind cover in most cases to survive; an OS isn’t necessary.  When you are running into an occupied enemy base is when you need extra shields immediately.  I believe that limiting vampirism to close range items encourages the user to move and be aggressive.  

15 hours ago, Boyo said:

I like to use vampirism to reward players who put themselves in the thick of it.  If you’re cross mapping, you can just duck behind cover in most cases to survive; an OS isn’t necessary.  When you are running into an occupied enemy base is when you need extra shields immediately.  I believe that limiting vampirism to close range items encourages the user to move and be aggressive.  

Hmm how close are we taking? Melee range?

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about vampirism in CQC. It lends a disproportionate advantage to autos.

Essentially, how do we stop CQB against a player with vampirism from turning into Halo 3's bullshit regen AR-fests? 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Basu said:

Hmm how close are we taking? Melee range?

The range of the Conduit’s terminating beam is somewhere in the realm of a sword lunge or the length of a warthog, maybe a smidge more.  So, longer than melee range but still close range.  (Also, what do you think about a 0.45 second duration at two shield layers per second, so you could end up with 0.9 extra shield layers if you don’t miss).  

Another benefit that close range vampiric items provide is feedback.  When you melee someone with your special forearm mounted blade, you could reasonably believe that this alien technology caused a transfer of energy, somehow jump-starting your shield recharge.  When the Conduit fires a close range energy beam at an enemy, you could reasonably believe that this light saber is sucking power from your target and delivering it to you.  

Vampires need to get close to suck blood.  

Haven’t played h3 in a month and came back and already annoyed AF by the shit hit reg. When you go from cod, any BR, etc and then go play any halo except h4 you’ll be irritated. The 343 games at least have good hit reg you can’t deny.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Good *bullet magnetism and extremely forgiving hitboxes 

It doesn’t matter if the hit boxes are forgiving which is bs as hit boxes can’t be any bigger than halos.(are hit boxes like the character models or something?) and bullet magnetism. Please! That doesn’t make games have hit reg that works! 

3 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Hit reg doesn't need to be amazing if the bullet mag and hit boxes suck - See Halo 4 

Halo 4 just let headshots register which were barely off by a centimeter which is hardly a big deal to me, maybe it is for others but it doesn’t mean anything. The hit reg is good in a lot of games, usually.

Speed Boost

Effects: 150% player speed, 150% player acceleration, 125% jump height, all reload/melee animations execute in half the time and all weapon swaps (barring a handful) happen instantly, single-shot precision weapons have their RoF increased to 125%. 

Duration: 45s. 

Spawn: Map-specific, generic 60s static. 

Brief Breakdown: A speed boost powerup with all the conventional effects, in addition to making almost all of the player's inputs more agile. This powerup gives the player a huge positioning advantage and allows the player to exert far more offensive pressure. 

Aerial Boost

Effects: 50-250% jump height (depending on how long the player has the input held), 200% gravity scaling, 200% airstrafe acceleration, and zero splash damage taken from self-thrown explosives (like grenades). 

Duration: 30s. 

Brief Breakdown: Essentially a powerup that multiplies the player's aerial control. On strongly vertical maps, this allows the player to exert much stronger influence across all pathing routes, giving the player a huge advantage on vertical maps (Prisoner, etc). 

On the equipment side of things, what do you think about a glider that can convert the wearer into lite-Banshees? 

19 hours ago, _Synapse said:

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about vampirism in CQC. It lends a disproportionate advantage to autos.

Essentially, how do we stop CQB against a player with vampirism from turning into Halo 3's bullshit regen AR-fests? 

19 hours ago, Boyo said:

The range of the Conduit’s terminating beam is somewhere in the realm of a sword lunge or the length of a warthog, maybe a smidge more.  So, longer than melee range but still close range.  (Also, what do you think about a 0.45 second duration at two shield layers per second, so you could end up with 0.9 extra shield layers if you don’t miss).  

Another benefit that close range vampiric items provide is feedback.  When you melee someone with your special forearm mounted blade, you could reasonably believe that this alien technology caused a transfer of energy, somehow jump-starting your shield recharge.  When the Conduit fires a close range energy beam at an enemy, you could reasonably believe that this light saber is sucking power from your target and delivering it to you.  

Vampires need to get close to suck blood.  

Actually it might make more sense to turn it into a piece of equipment/grenade type, you're right. If it's just a basic powerup that can be coupled with any weapon the amount of cheese would go through the roof. Corner hugging with an AR/Shotgunto get a free shield is a bit too Reach-y for my taste.

8 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Speed Boost

Effects: 150% player speed, 150% player acceleration, 125% jump height, all reload/melee animations execute in half the time and all weapon swaps (barring a handful) happen instantly, single-shot precision weapons have their RoF increased to 125%. 

Duration: 45s. 

Brief Breakdown: A speed boost powerup with all the conventional effects, in addition to making almost all of the player's inputs more agile. This powerup gives the player a huge positioning advantage and allows the player to exert far more offensive pressure. 

Aerial Boost

Effects: 50-250% jump height (depending on how long the player has the input held), 200% gravity scaling, 200% airstrafe acceleration, and zero splash damage taken from self-thrown explosives (like grenades). 

Duration: 30s. 

Brief Breakdown: Essentially a powerup that multiplies the player's aerial control. On strongly vertical maps, this allows the player to exert much stronger influence across all pathing routes, giving the player a huge advantage on vertical maps (Prisoner, etc). 

On the equipment side of things, what do you think about a glider that can convert the wearer into lite-Banshees? 

I think a good ol jetpack or double jump boots would get the trick done. Gravity and air control should be scaled up as base traits anyways. What is your goal with disabling self damage from explosives?

3 hours ago, Basu said:

What is your goal with disabling self damage from explosives?

Crazy strong nadejumps. Think being able to go from starting spawn to rocket spawn on Construct. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Basu said:

Actually it might make more sense to turn it into a piece of equipment/grenade type

I think a “beam-burst” grenade type is perfect for a close range vampiric item for a few reasons.  It can’t be instantly deployed; there is a brief wind-up animation before deployment (existing grenade types already set this precedent).  Unlike something like a Sentinel Beam that steals shields, a grenade is inherently single use so it requires skill to know when to deploy for maximum effectiveness (aka leaving room for the player to choke).  

Could these same traits be applied to a piece of vampiric equipment instead?  Sure but I think that gimping the indirect fire capabilities of the promethean grenade type allows the player to use cover in campaign, against AI prometheans, more effectively, making the experience more fun.  Giving Prometheans a “blind spot” gives the player an out in combat, a place to recharge then re-attack.  Because the player has an out, Prometheans can be that much more powerful in areas other than indirect fire.  

The lack of an indirect fire grenade type causes Prometheans to circumvent cover in other ways.  The Boltshot alt-fires a projectile that teleports the user to its point of impact, allowing the promethean to change his line of sight on the target.  The Sentinel Beam’s alt-fire teleports the user forward a short distance, even through walls, allowing the promethean approach from an unconventional angle.  The Scepter’s alt-fire is essentially the pro pipe, allowing high level prometheans to launch a remotely-detonatable super-grenade around corners.  

Do you think it would be better to make the short range vampire beam a piece of equipment, like a flamethrower that gives you shields, and give the prometheans a more traditional grenade type that is capable of indirect fire?  

13 hours ago, _Synapse said:

If Chief fires his grappling hook onto the back of a speeding warthog, he can go parasailing.  

A good powerup changes how you use weapons and what you want to use, because it makes some strategies stronger. Camo does this very well, OS a little. Speed Boost or Haste don't offer anything new, they just make you better at what you normally do. And a powerup could be fun and justified in doing that, but those bringing more options and counterplay are better in my eyes.

I'd like to see Camo, OS and Double Jump.

For OS, I'd like to see the following passive trait added: You can keep firing after overheating, but any OS is depleted by half the damage of shots fired. With a good Brute PR, Beam Rifle, Sentinel Beam and maybe a changed Laser this could be interesting, making the powerup a bit more offensive.

Double Jump would not only make you a ninja when combined with Camo, it would also completely change how you can move around the map. It also takes some ability to use well in combat. Should be short lasting (30s) so you waste it if you use it to escape all the time.

Vampirism was something I thought could be cool, but I think this thread is right in that it would probably be mostly cheesy.

6 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Crazy strong nadejumps. Think being able to go from starting spawn to rocket spawn on Construct. 

This would be awesome

Edit: Single-use equipment: Armor Lock – Friendly shockwaves are redistributed to propel armor instead of internal organs. Receive increased propulsion instead of damage from self-used and friendly explosives for 10s.

• Like (+1) 1

Evade was the best movement enhancing pick up Halo ever had.  Wish we could get some maps designed with an Evade pick up in mind.  

8 hours ago, _Synapse said:

I am imagining a 60 second respawn powerup that either allows for x seconds of immunity from self thrown grenade damage, or damage immunity from x number of self thrown grenades.

I feel like a pick up designed to enhance grenade jumps is adding unnecessary steps to the movement equation when things like double jump or evade could move the player without requiring he blow himself first.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Boyo said:

I feel like a pick up designed to enhance grenade jumps is adding unnecessary steps to the movement equation when things like double jump or evade could move the player without requiring he blow himself first.  

I enjoy the concept of tradeoffs which inherently spawning with double jump or evade would not provide. Powerups require a contest of space to either gain or burn the reward; Power weapons have niche uses with occasional heavy tradeoffs for using. A sacrifice of one or multiple grenades to access space in conjunction with an earned powerup seems fitting. 

Look how quickly and fluidly he can move, smoothly transitioning from area to area.  Now picture him trying to move like that by grenade jumping.  Not possible.  

I really want to make a video called "343 Hate Halo" because it's true and I have all the evidence but my own YouTube channel is in the midst of 400% growth and I taking time away from that to work on an anti-343 vid that will get 500 views is probably not worth it.

So let me just say it here.

343 hate Halo and are slowly but surely erasing it's history and legacy. Oceania have always been at war with Eastasia.

• Thonking (+0) 1

Halo typically only distinguishes between headshots and bodyshots but what if one weapon saw the player model differently?  

The Shotgun’s slug is a 3sk but only to the upper body; leg shots deal half damage.  In conjunction with decreased leg damage, the slug’s drop over distance throttles ranged effectiveness.  

Precision weapons see a head and a body.  The Shotgun sees an upper body and a lower body.