Jump to content
CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Recoil isn't skillful

Yes it is. Why do you think it isn’t? It’s Bella easy to put on a reticule on an individual or their gun. Recoil control is a skill and it’s something in many games. It helps separate the bad kids from the pros. If you look at cod and look at ghost ayden. Think how many can aim and control recoil as good as him. In halo this shit totally be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Basu said:

Isn't it amazing that with 343's ingenious unlock system you're forced to play dogshit like spartan ops and farm promethean kills instead of just grinding MP to unlock stuff like literally every other FPS game in existence? Not like the skins are impressive, but it's mindblowing how out of touch with their fanbase they still are.

I found the solution btw. Make a new smurf for every game and level that to 100. Then you can unlock whatever you need for a single game. I spent too many unlock tokens on Reach so the only way to every get the CE and H3 skins was to make a new account and get them on there.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Don’t downvote at all and we won’t have problems 

Imagine getting upset by negative internet points on a forum with like twenty active people. 

  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, darkstar said:

Imagine getting upset by negative internet points on a forum with like twenty active people. 

Also he's at -220 on his 25th account.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Basu said:

I found the solution btw. Make a new smurf for every game and level that to 100. Then you can unlock whatever you need for a single game. I spent too many unlock tokens on Reach so the only way to every get the CE and H3 skins was to make a new account and get them on there.

Wait they made it impossible to get every skin on one account? The rank locked skins are whatever, I prefer having some that way but the shit in their "seasons" eventually becomes impossible to get on one account?

 

This company man. They had such a good idea with this season and fuck it up.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, OG Nick said:

Wait they made it impossible to get every skin on one account? The rank locked skins are whatever, I prefer having some that way but the shit in their "seasons" eventually becomes impossible to get on one account?

 

This company man. They had such a good idea with this season and fuck it up.

You don't get any unlock tokens for ranking up past 100. So any XP past level 100 is completely worthless. The only way to get tokens past that is to do the weekly/seasonal challenges. But even if you complete all of those I'm pretty sure you're not getting enough tokens to unlock everything in a season, and keep in mind these challenges are a huge time sink, so the average dude playing a couple hours a week can unlock maybe 10 items a season. #343 strikes again.

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, Basu said:

You don't get any unlock tokens for ranking up past 100. So any XP past level 100 is completely worthless. The only way to get tokens past that is to do the weekly/seasonal challenges. But even if you complete all of those I'm pretty sure you're not getting enough tokens to unlock everything in a season, and keep in mind these challenges are a huge time sink, so the average dude playing a couple hours a week can unlock maybe 10 items a season. #343 strikes again.

You get 5 unlocks per category(PVP, campaign) per week. The past 2 seasons have only been 50 unlocks as well. Not counting seasonal challenges, there's plenty of chance to unlock shit.

I have everything from seasons, and a bit over 30 points left over. Of course, this can be a problem if you're not doing weeklies.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Basu said:

You don't get any unlock tokens for ranking up past 100. So any XP past level 100 is completely worthless. The only way to get tokens past that is to do the weekly/seasonal challenges. But even if you complete all of those I'm pretty sure you're not getting enough tokens to unlock everything in a season, and keep in mind these challenges are a huge time sink, so the average dude playing a couple hours a week can unlock maybe 10 items a season. #343 strikes again.

 

16 minutes ago, Sitri said:

You get 5 unlocks per category(PVP, campaign) per week. The past 2 seasons have only been 50 unlocks as well. Not counting seasonal challenges, there's plenty of chance to unlock shit.

I have everything from seasons, and a bit over 30 points left over. Of course, this can be a problem if you're not doing weeklies.

Okay while you can still get everything it's total shit you cant just by leveling up but having to do the pve stuff is such a chore. I want to play pvp 90% of the time not "lul rocket grunparty fight" 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post

@MrGreenWithAGun  re:  What kind of Halo do you prefer?  
 

Quote

One of the concerns I have is that a Halo title that did not include sprint in some form (as we see in Halo 4 & 5 for example), would seem so sluggish compared to other modern shooters that people would not like it long enough to appreciate the game overall. Do you feel this is a valid concern? And if you do not, what do you think the future of a non sprint Halo title would look like?

Movement enhancing items are usually armor abilities (A) or aerial abilities (LB while airborne).  The modular nature of these items allows them to be there when needed and to go away when not.  

 

Armor Abilities 

 

Thruster (first person, weapon ready) 

 

Evade (performs a flip, moving the player up and over, if activated while airborne)

 

Gravity Boots (high-jump, hover, ground-stomp) 

 

Sphere (transform into a ball, roll around) 

 

Aerial Abilities 

 

Jump Jet (double jump) 

 

Wall Kick (propels player up and away from wall) 

 

Gravity Gauntlet (forward lunge followed by quick clamber if ledge is reached) 

 

Glider (decreased descent speed and increased forward movement speed, steerable) 

 

Arena (4v4) has no armor/aerial abilities while Squad Battle (6v6) does feature these items as movement enhancing pick ups.  Invasion (9v9) spawns three of the nine players per team with armor/aerial abilities, creating asymmetry within teams as well as between them.  

 

Certain weapons can enhance movement as well.  

 

The Mauler alt-fires a bruteshot round that can boost an airborne player upward.  Spikes stick in walls upon perpendicular impact, creating a temporary jump-up.  In addition, the Spiker alt-fires a limited range grappling hook that quickly pulls the user to its point of impact.  The SAW can toggle to its Wall Crawl firemode, allowing the user to travel up a vertical surface, like ghostrider’s motorcycle.  

 

The Boltshot can fire a projectile that teleports the user to its point of impact (once the the special ammo has been picked up).  The Sentinel Beam can teleport the user forward a short distance (once the corresponding weapon attachment has been picked up).  The Power Band can pick up and drop moveable objects, allowing the user to unblock an inaccessible route or create a new jump-up.  

 

The Energy Sword’s alt-fire activates a speedboost that gradually drains the weapon’s battery.  The Sandman power up modifies the user’s player model, enhancing his attacks and movement abilities.  The operator of the Minecart mobile-turret can move it forward or back along its track system while firing.  

 

That’s how I would handle advanced movement in a sprint-less Halo.  

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Sitri said:

You get 5 unlocks per category(PVP, campaign) per week. The past 2 seasons have only been 50 unlocks as well. Not counting seasonal challenges, there's plenty of chance to unlock shit.

I have everything from seasons, and a bit over 30 points left over. Of course, this can be a problem if you're not doing weeklies.

Right, but it's still stupid to completely prevent people from earning tokens outside of certain time windows, especially with a season model that continuously adds new content. Making things time-gated and requiring people to play every week, but still limit amount you earn before you stop earning tokens is just stupid. What's wrong with people wanting to grind? Even in dumbass Reach you could unlock everything by just playing your favorite gamemode for an extended amount of time, plus it had commendations to earn XP. Daily/weekly challenges should give a bonus, not be the only way to earn tokens.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post

@Boyo, I agree with you. I like Thruster Pack for it's maneuverability; an example of a movement I don't like is ground pound. My question is really how do you all feel people would embrace a future Halo title with no sprint? I guess I should clarify, movement speeds that are constantly available and do not require recharging.

@Hemlax, I realize there are some games that have such high speeds. But I was talking about a future Halo title with no sprint. I bring this up because I downloaded and began playing MCC for the PC, HCE and H2 (I literally have never played those games before yesterday). And my first reaction to HCE was the speed was sluggish compared to H3 or any title after that had sprint. It feels like a step backward, regardless of the value of removing sprint. Playing HCE felt like a dynamic chess game rather than a shooter. And if that was my experience, I wonder if that would be the experience of so many others that they would not stay with it more than a few hours (at least multiplayer anyways).

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

@Hemlax, I realize there are some games that have such high speeds. But I was talking about a future Halo title with no sprint. I bring this up because I downloaded and began playing MCC for the PC, HCE and H2 (I literally have never played those games before yesterday). And my first reaction to HCE was the speed was sluggish compared to H3 or any title after that had sprint. It feels like a step backward, regardless of the value of removing sprint. Playing HCE felt like a dynamic chess game rather than a shooter. And if that was my experience, I wonder if that would be the experience of so many others that they would not stay with it more than a few hours (at least multiplayer anyways).

I understand. Just wanted to point out that there are other ways how to make game feel fast, without using mechanics like sprint which is totally contraproductive to something like Halo.

Here is the thing. I understand that gaming has moved and we are most likely never getting another classic style Halo. It wouldn't catch the masses probably. Game has to feel very fast, has to make you feel like superhero. 343 is trying impossible though. They are trying to keep the core gameplay and slap onto it modern, popular elements like sprint, clamber etc. But this is never going to work because those two things literally can't coexist without causing many problems, therefore they won't replicate the success of older titles.

Now I am not saying they should just bump up the speed by crazy amounts. Not really sure what they should do and to be honest, 343 is not that kind of company that can creatively overcome something like this. All they do is monitoring the market and slap in things that market demands. 

Most likely, we will keep getting from them half broken products, until someone will come up with working and widely popular system, that will marry classic and modern. But it won't be them, that I am sure.

 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

an example of a movement I don't like is ground pound

Do you think the mechanic is inherently broken or do you dislike ground pound because everyone spawns with it and maps have to be designed with it in mind?  Would you feel the same about a pick up that allowed one player to high jump and ground pound?  

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Do you think the mechanic is inherently broken or do you dislike ground pound because everyone spawns with it and maps have to be designed with it in mind?  Would you feel the same about a pick up that allowed one player to high jump and ground pound?  

I dont think one can say it is broken, but I don't like the idea in general. It doesn't feel like a natural extension to any Halo experience.

I was not thinking that maps need to be designed for it. I have always thought it was simply added to the mechanics and if people could use it for a given map then so be it. I don't know that 343 actually thinks deeply about their map design in this sort of context.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/21/2020 at 4:23 PM, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

It's a quasi-power weapon. Why shouldn't it be a zero-effort kill in close quarters? You just need to make sure the damage drop off over distance is considerable so it's not overpowering at mid-range.

I disagree on this. As someone that loves the H1 shotty and hates the H5 shotty, I would say keep the mid range viability (particularly against no-shield players), and remove OHK capability beyond melee range. That's the style shotgun I enjoy. It's not super cheesy bc of it's lack of OHK potential, but it's not useless because it can pair with nades and melees really well, and can clean up people from surprisingly far.

Running a shotgun and 4 nades into a team's base in Longest CTF is one of my favorite feelings in Halo. I feel like I can destroy the world.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Post how you'd redesign powerups or any new powerups you'd make. 

 

All powerups have physics. 

OS

Strength: 2 additional shield layers.

Charge Time: 0.5 seconds.

Spawn Time: 60s static.

Notes: Plasma weapons do magnified damage to OS, certain weapons can cause OS decay. 

 

Camo

Strength: Reach strength at maximum. 

Charge Time (To restore perfect camo): 2 seconds. 

Duration: 50s.

Spawn Time: 60s static.

Notes: Certain weapons can permanently reduce the camo strength, certain bullethose weapons can easily make a cloaked player visible, and certain weapons can cut the charge time to 0.1 seconds. 

 

Speed Boost

Strength: Player moves at 1.75x speed with compensated strafe acceleration. 

Charge Time: Instant upon pickup. 

Duration: 30s.

Spawn Time: 90s static. 

Notes: The powerup is pretty self-explanatory, it allows the player afflicted to make map maneuvers far more expediently. Certain weapons being equipped enable the player to travel at 1.95x speed. Certain weapons with movement nerfing effects will still work against a player with this powerup. 

 

I feel like equipment would be way more modular than just powerups alone. 

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

redesign powerups

Unless damage is taken, OS layer 2 doesn’t begin decaying until 15 seconds after pick up.  Unless layer 1 is damaged, it won’t begin decaying until 45 seconds after pick up.  

Share this post


Link to post

All powerups should be able to have their duration, effect strength, etc able to be edited in forge on an individual basis, the same way can you change the amount of spare rounds that come with any given weapon. This OS has two extra layers and doesn't decay, that OS has one and does decay. Or whatever.

I've pitched the double score power up before... when a player under its effects gets a kill, caps a flag, detonates a bomb, gets hill/ball time, etc, its worth double the points. I like this because it could make hill/ball a lot more fun, facilitate runs/comebacks in all game types, and because it doesn't affect any actual player attributes, it can be placed on the same map as an OS/camo without worrying about the game breaking if somebody scoops up both.

Ideally there would be four 'default' powerups. OS, camo, and score would be the first three, for the fourth I think some sort of info-based power up would work best but I haven't been able to figure out a good enough angle on it.

What I really want is a set of powerups that aren't mutually exclusive. You can't use camo and something like damage/speed boost on the same map, because if somebody manages to get both then it turns them into a juggernaut and breaks the game.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think you should be able to get double points in the hill if you plug in a guitar hero guitar and play the intro to halo 2.  

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 3
  • Thonking (+0) 1

Share this post


Link to post

The Sandman power up transforms the user’s player model.  Shadow is the Sandman’s movement mode and default form.  The flat player model slides over the ground but underneath players, only identifiable by the darker shade it casts.  

From Shadow form, the player can transform into Sinkhole or Sandman.  Sinkhole opens a pit in the ground, swallowing players whole.  Sandman emerges from the ground, the upper body of a large humanoid, able to attack with arms and mouth.  

The Extermination power up surrounds the user with three AI flood spores that autonomously attack nearby enemies, able to access pathing that bipeds cannot.  Slain enemies are reanimated as more powerful AI sidekicks.  

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Post how you'd redesign powerups or any new powerups you'd make. 

 

All powerups have physics. 

OS

Strength: 2 additional shield layers.

Charge Time: 0.5 seconds.

Spawn Time: 60s static.

Notes: Plasma weapons do magnified damage to OS, certain weapons can cause OS decay. 

 

Camo

Strength: Reach strength at maximum. 

Charge Time (To restore perfect camo): 2 seconds. 

Duration: 50s.

Spawn Time: 60s static.

Notes: Certain weapons can permanently reduce the camo strength, certain bullethose weapons can easily make a cloaked player visible, and certain weapons can cut the charge time to 0.1 seconds. 

 

Speed Boost

Strength: Player moves at 1.75x speed with compensated strafe acceleration. 

Charge Time: Instant upon pickup. 

Duration: 30s.

Spawn Time: 90s static. 

Notes: The powerup is pretty self-explanatory, it allows the player afflicted to make map maneuvers far more expediently. Certain weapons being equipped enable the player to travel at 1.95x speed. Certain weapons with movement nerfing effects will still work against a player with this powerup. 

 

I feel like equipment would be way more modular than just powerups alone. 

Have multiple kinds of OS- the regular 2-layer one with decay, and smaller ones that give 25-50% bonus shield with no decay and can be stacked to a maximum of 200% bonus shield.

I guess you could also have a powerup that acts like Doom's backpack, something that increases ammo and/or grenade capacity until death.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post

 

On 12/27/2020 at 5:02 AM, Hard Way said:

I disagree on this. As someone that loves the H1 shotty and hates the H5 shotty, I would say keep the mid range viability (particularly against no-shield players), and remove OHK capability beyond melee range. That's the style shotgun I enjoy. It's not super cheesy bc of it's lack of OHK potential, but it's not useless because it can pair with nades and melees really well, and can clean up people from surprisingly far.

Running a shotgun and 4 nades into a team's base in Longest CTF is one of my favorite feelings in Halo. I feel like I can destroy the world.

Love this. The Shotgun should behave like this and have an increased damage multiplier against armor/health (maybe it does in CE?). That way you can only scratch shields at range, but kill unshielded targets. Being the best weapon for cleaning up unshielded enemies without headshots is a fun role that combines well with other mechanics (grenades, plasma, melee), while slow velocity would keep it from outclassing headshot weapons at range.

On 12/23/2020 at 9:57 AM, TiberiusAudley said:

This is all a large part of why I've also consistently said the Needler would work great if the melee were replaced with a conical discharge of all the remaining needles in a clip, potentially turning to a Supercombine.  It gives you the open space control of a default Needler, but gives the weapon a larger threat of "Do not approach the pink mist."

I wouldn't like the Needler with shotgun functionality. Now every map with a needler also has a shotgun. What's great about the needler is its specialized role as a medium range single target flanking weapon. It's strong, but you dedicate a whole weapon slot to it, and it has counterplay in use of cover, getting close or moving. With shotgun functionality it's suddenly a good backup weapon and shuts down some counterplay.

Perhaps the Boltshot could be what you describe, I do like the role, but not at the expense of the current needler.

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy.