CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

What do you think about items like Camo and Grappling Hook being represented by a holographic symbol instead of a colorful physical object?  Will this allow players to learn item locations better?  Is it pushing the art style too far from the vibrant pick ups of games past?  

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Hey there's a few pages to catch up on...

... oh it's just people replying to Reamis25 nvm

Just wait till release day...

...assuming the game releases.

36 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Hey there's a few pages to catch up on...

... oh it's just people replying to Reamis25 nvm

That reminds me of that boondocks episode oh just two N***as killing each other, proceed

• WutFace (+0) 1

Just now, Aphex Twin said:

Just wait till release day...

...assuming the game releases.

Oh I’ll be here and I’ll be coming for you especially 

20 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What do you think about items like Camo and Grappling Hook being represented by a holographic symbol instead of a colorful physical object?  Will this allow players to learn item locations better?  Is it pushing the art style too far from the vibrant pick ups of games past?  

What about nav points with timers? 

Timed nav points on power items was probably the only gameplay aspect h5 improved on (but of course 343 managed to fuck that up by having the nav disappear when the item was picked up). 

9 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

That's unfortunate. 

Regardless, I'll enjoy watching you self-own yourself as usual. 

In all honesty I probably won’t be here. I’m going to be playing the game. You’ll probably be here just to complain about what you hate about the game.

4 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

In all honesty I probably won’t be here. I’m going to be playing the game. You’ll probably be here just to complain about what you hate about the game.

Probably. I actually have standards. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Probably. I actually have standards. 

No you don’t. Being stuck in the past isn’t a sign of standards 

• Downvote (-1) 5

14 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

No you don’t. Being stuck in the past isn’t a sign of standards 

Blindlessly loving the new/popular thing just because it's new/popular is a sign of having no standards. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Blindlessly loving the new/popular thing just because it's new/popular is a sign of having no standards. 

But that’s why not I like them. There’s a reason things become popular 

4 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Bruh I just did and a lot of those were single player games. Some of the games were pc games like TF2&CS which were both more popular than halo. Let’s just point out halo didn’t have the competition it does today, especially regarding the games it must compete against today. 

Halo was more popular than CS and TF2 combined in the Halo 3 days.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

The funny thing is that no sprint/abilities on maps designed for those gimmicks is still more fun than the default experience. 

I'd rather play a broken halo game with no modern gimmicks than advanced movement halo with maps/weapon sandbox designed around the gimmicks. 

I can attest to that, but the the constant feeling of playing a subpar experience isn't the only thing that annoys me. Everytime a "classic" playlist comes up, 343 either insults our intelligence by shoving their mechanics in our face anyway or weaponizing the inevitable low playlist population as "evidence" of disinterest in classic gameplay when the playlist is anything but.

I'd rather avoid that bullshit entirely and skip right into the apathy I'm used to from 343, thank you very much.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

Halo was more popular than CS and TF2 combined in the Halo 3 days.

I don’t think that’s true 

• Downvote (-1) 1

I've decided I'm changing how I view Halo: Infinite.

I was a big Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 fan. I loved Bad Company 1 and 2 as well, but they were spinoffs and because of that I accepted them as the arcade-y bundles of joy they were.

When Battlefield 3 was announced as a proper sequel to Battlefield 2 I basically wet myself. Unfortunately, BF3 was arcade-y as well rather then the more tactical (but not realistic) Battlefield 2/2142. Many features I liked were missing, maps were smaller overall and there was a large increase in CQB infantry combat over Combined Arms gameplay (though it still had a good amount of it).

I used to frequent the Battlefield Official Forums and drop sass bombs, feedback, hate (I mean I was 19 at the time) and joined the bandwagon of BF2/2142 vets that hated on BF3 for not being a true sequel and not honouring the legacy. Sounds familiar right?

Something happened though: I enjoyed Battlefield 4 when it came out two years later. Playing through Battlefield 4, which I really like, I realised that I had missed out on Battlefield 3 because instead of accepting it as a new experience and that the old style of game was dead (turns out it wasn't by the way because Squad came out this year and Squad is fucking awesome and is exactly what I wanted) I just hated on it. Hate takes so much energy. I spent so much time hating Battlefield 3 I didn't spend any energy trying to play it, enjoying it or accepting it. Playing through BF4 I realised that this new direction can work and be fun in it's own right, I just need to let go of the past.

As such, I am going to switch up how I view Infinite. Instead of moaning about the destruction of Halo and the OG trilogy not being respected and sprint etc. I'm going to view Infinite as an entirely new experience, completely separated from Halo. Sure it shares some elements, but I'm going to view it as a completely new thing and leave my past prejudices behind.

Hating Halo 4 did not give me any joy. Hating Halo 5 did not give me any joy. But going in to Infinite I've decided to give it a chance. Not as a Halo game, but as a AAA shooter.

Sprint is here forever, clamber is here forever. It's not going anywhere. We tried for 10 years to have it removed, it is not going to be removed. As such, the Halo I know is dead and will remain so unless I fire up MCC. But I'll give Infinite a chance as a fresh experience rather than stew in all my backlog of salt which gives me nothing but disappointment. I will go into Infinite expecting a new game experience with the potential to callback to a series I love. But I will no longer view it as a Halo game. Unlike Battlefield 4, I do not like Halo 4/5 as their own standalone experience, but I am willing to wait for Infinite to see if I will.

This works better as if it comes out and it's a good game then I can enjoy it, regardless of whether it's a good Halo game. If it comes out and it's bad, I have lost nothing.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Fire (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

snip

Off topic; BF3 as much as I loved it rivals Gears of War 2 for the most frustrating gunplay changes over the life of the game. Both titles had the shooting mechanics completely changed several times post development and the gameplay changed just as many times as a result. Good grief. 

On topic, I love the original series so much, it's hard to comprehend we really aren't going back to what made so many of us enjoy it in the first place. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

Snip snip

I'm with you. Where I'm kind of at now is that I'm pretty sure I like a certain "flow" of PVP FPS multiplayer and as long as that flow is in tact I have a good time. Not that other games can't still be good having a different flow, it's just not necessarily my thing. For me; as long as I have to move frequently, have "interesting" encounters, preferably equal starts, and hopefully some way to make sure I can get kills effectively then I usually have a good time. Halo 1, Halo 5, Gears, Diabotical, Duke Nukem 3D, Valorant, even Call of Duty Warzone to some extent (yeah yeah, random battle royale nonsense is in there, everything else is in tact though although there's definitely some droughts of no interesting encounters at all) all meet that description and I've had fun with all of them in recent memory. I don't even care about the "skill gap" much anymore, I just want the game to flow well. Games like Battlefield and Star Wars Battlefront offer a different type of experience that's just as valid, but usually I get bored quicker with them so I only play them rarely.

Where will Halo Infinite lie? I'm not really sure, but even if it has all these abilities I don't see why I couldn't enjoy it as much as Halo 5 unless those few "rules" I have are broken, in which case I'll laugh at it with some friends as we play it for one or two nights and move back to the other games we were enjoying.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Go look back at the USA Network show of MLG during 2006 and 2007. Watch the MLG ESPN 2008, 2009, and 2010 shows. 

Then look at the coverage of CS from the same years. 

As far as population - CS definitely had more people on the servers but viewership of esports and players of the campaign is a different story!

3 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Do you know of any other professional video game players whose faces were hanging out with President Obama at the time?

WXV4gvK.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Obnokshus said:

On topic, I love the original series so much, it's hard to comprehend we really aren't going back to what made so many of us enjoy it in the first place. 

No-one will ever be able to answer this other than arrogance and ignorance.

21 minutes ago, Hully said:

Do you know of any other professional video game players whose faces were hanging out with President Obama at the time?

WXV4gvK.jpg

Lmao

I think you can make an extremely fun Halo game with advanced movement. I just think that if anything it makes the balancing and design that much harder to pull off. 

I do think it is a shame that we will probably never see a Halo game that takes the very best aspects of H1-H:R v7 and refines them until only very minute changes are ever made to the core gamely (kinda like where CS is now). 

• Like (+1) 1

Youre assuming gameplay is the only reason to hate 343 games. They still charging for color customization right?

just put him on the ignore list and it actually condenses these threads considerably. I did the same with iceprincess (reamis being a less articulate iceprincess copycat)

On topic: Anyone else find it funny the marketing campaign will be a year out of sync with actual release now? Do you think they'll shell out for another one as big? I hope you guys have all saved up your monster double xp codes :kappa:

• Like (+1) 1