CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Rather than a CoD Warzone-esque approach to Battle Royale, I'd rather Halo took the Apex Legends approach. 

What I ideally want in a mainline Halo game wouldn't work very well with a Battle Royale. 

The way in which Halo pickups work, as well as the ways in which Halo's sandbox should work, are both counterintuitive to the design of a Battle Royale. 

A spin-off title closely tied to a main game would be awesome. 

Completely non-regenerating health and armor. Longer TTKs. A sandbox with more meaningful distinction in regards to how combat in a Battle Royale works. A large, intricately designed map. Some unique mechanics that separate it from being a run-of-the-mill Battle Royale with Halo's gunplay. 

The more cod zombies I play the more I want a flood version of it in halo. With all the Easter eggs, objectives etc. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly whenever Im craving something like a battle royale, I find that Halo's traditional FFA scratches that itch just fine. That feeling of being all alone in a map full of people who want you dead, scavenging for weapons with the knowledge that the more greedy you get, the more fights you'll get into. Or even something like being content with just making it into the Top 3, and the sweet victory of coming out on top despite all the odds being stacked against you.

Only real difference is how in FFA, you don't have quite the same amount of tension, but at the same time, you are at least guaranteed a satisfactory amount of action before you have to queue up for a new game.

• Like (+1) 4

I like CoD enough to buy it every other release or so. sue me :). the annual release is just too much.

Both Jarrard and O'Connor both denied that they are making a Halo BR game.  1) I simply don't believe them 2) if they aren't, thats a big mistake.

8 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Rather than a CoD Warzone-esque approach to Battle Royale, I'd rather Halo took the Apex Legends approach. 

What I ideally want in a mainline Halo game wouldn't work very well with a Battle Royale. 

The way in which Halo pickups work, as well as the ways in which Halo's sandbox should work, are both counterintuitive to the design of a Battle Royale. 

A spin-off title closely tied to a main game would be awesome. 

Completely non-regenerating health and armor. Longer TTKs. A sandbox with more meaningful distinction in regards to how combat in a Battle Royale works. A large, intricately designed map. Some unique mechanics that separate it from being a run-of-the-mill Battle Royale with Halo's gunplay. 

Why wouldn't some of the base mechanics of a mainline halo game work with BR? Obviously the characteristics of what the pickups give you would need some editing, like having multiple strengths of OS that don't decay over time. But I fail to see an issue with the way they are picked up, managed or intuitive use.  A Halo BR should be far simpler than most of them if it wants to differentiate itself.  Minimal if any inventory management so you're not wasting potential actual playtime rummaging through your backpack. That would allow for faster hill collapse times, shorter total game lengths, and less viability to camping tactics. You don't need to increase kill times much if at all if they implement proper projectiles into the game.

A Halo themed BR could actually be really good and its the biggest gametype going right now with more staying power than i think most people predicted just a few years ago.  If they deviate too far from what Halo is actually supposed to be, it will just be a clone of some other game that already exists and like we saw with the CoD-ification of the game, people aren't going to switch from something they are already familiar with just to get the same experience.  It would be a huge mistake for them NOT to make one, but it needs to be good and im not convinced their instincts can make it good. Doesn't mean the shouldn't do it though.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, _Synapse said:

Completely non-regenerating health and armor. Longer TTKs.

you're off to a bad start. long ttks with no regeneration = purposefully avoiding engagements to increase chances of survival in the lategame. there's no incentive to get dirty if you cant reset and get picked off. 

1 hour ago, Obnokshus said:

you're off to a bad start. long ttks with no regeneration = purposefully avoiding engagements to increase chances of survival in the lategame. there's no incentive to get dirty if you cant reset and get picked off. 

My mistake, I don't know that much about design for Battle Royale. 

38 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

How would the health/shield system work in a Halo BR? Would there just be a bunch of non-decaying Overshields around the map?

You could introduce other vitality enhancing pick-ups.  

Shield Collar absorbs one precision headshot while shields are down.

Gravity Vest reduces bodyshot and explosive damage by half.   

I think battle royal is the only gametype where gimmicks like Bubble Shield, Health Regen, Deployable Cover, Sprint, Slide, etc... would work. 

This stuff is trash in Halo games where everyone has unlimited lives. If you only get one life however, equipment/AAs dont make the game unplayable. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Boyo said:

Forget Battle Royale, Halo needs Mega Multi Team, 3v3v3v3v3v3v3v3.  

This is the correct answer to montage kids crying about SBMM in CoD.

So snakebite released a video of his thoughts and it made me pretty sad. You can tell he’s struggling not to straight bash 343. Basically he like a lot of fans are tired of sketch and what not saying “we hear you”. Ok then prove it. You can’t keep saying you hear us, you understand us, you know where we’re coming from, etc. that’s not how shit works. I hate it when 343 tells people to be patient. They’re the only modern triple a developer I know that takes forever to fix minor issues in games. They leave us in the dark for months and months and when they do come out with an update the page of information is filled with how the teams doing, their struggles etc. look no ones gives a fuck! Look even if a developers mother died I don’t want to hear that. I want to know about the game. I don’t care what you struggled to add, just show and tell me what’s in the fucking game. Seriously why do any devs do this? Do people actually give a fuck what’s going on developers lives? I know I don’t. That doesn’t make me a dick either because I don’t know them personally. 

• Fire (+1) 1

If Fortnite gets Master Chief before we do I'm going to lose my mind. I had to watch as Rainbow 6 got Sam Fisher when the Splinter Cell community hasn't gotten a new game since 2013. Now I'm going to watch Master Chief go to fucking Fortnite of all games, when the Halo community hasn't gotten a new game since 2015, and has been without a good game since 2007. What the actual fuck.

• Like (+1) 6

34 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

"The only modern AAA dev to take months to fix minor issues" 

Nah, fam.

Ok to be fair that part is just be giving 343 shit but games like cod, fortnite, get updates on daily to weekly basis. If something was overpowered in a 343 game they’d take months to nerf it. He’ll look at h5. They took a year to do that weapons update which honestly wasn’t needed. Most games can easily nerf or buff weapons. But nah 343 let’s spend a whole year loooking at some data and try to figure things out. Please stfu 343. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Ok to be fair that part is just be giving 343 shit but games like cod, fortnite, get updates on daily to weekly basis. If something was overpowered in a 343 game they’d take months to nerf it. He’ll look at h5. They took a year to do that weapons update which honestly wasn’t needed. Most games can easily nerf or buff weapons. But nah 343 let’s spend a whole year loooking at some data and try to figure things out. Please stfu 343. 

i believe the last cod got only one or 2 competitive updates. fallout 76 only became playable after over a year. games like anthem will just stay defunct. warcraft 3 remastered is still missing basic features from the original game. ufc and nba 2k play unskippable adds in their games. 343 isnt the lone shitty dev in a sea of gems. more like they are pretty par for the course. still disappointing, but acti/blizz, ea, 2k, etc are out there fucking shit up just as much if not more

1 hour ago, Craneteam said:

i believe the last cod got only one or 2 competitive updates. fallout 76 only became playable after over a year. games like anthem will just stay defunct. warcraft 3 remastered is still missing basic features from the original game. ufc and nba 2k play unskippable adds in their games. 343 isnt the lone shitty dev in a sea of gems. more like they are pretty par for the course. still disappointing, but acti/blizz, ea, 2k, etc are out there fucking shit up just as much if not more

Ok I see your point. And what’s a competitive update? I see Nerfs and buffs in cod all the time. 

11 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Well its a good thing they made it easy to rapidly deploy new skins... wait I mean weapon tuning patches this time around.....