CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

12 hours ago, Basu said:

In true 343 fashion they also made it insanely forgiving. It has a larger 1hk radius that the rockets if I remember correctly. 

I remember how excited I was to watch it in pro play again. So satisfying. Oh well.

Edit - pro pipe has almost sniper rifle satisfaction feel to it. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/21/2020 at 1:34 PM, Hard Way said:

-Make one ranked list each for 4v4, 2v2, and FFA. Those modes are all worthy of a permanent ranked offering.
-Ranked should always offer 2xp, and 2x whatever in-game currency might get offered.
-Have one rotational ranked list each month. This is where you can rotate in ranked Snipers, SWAT, BTB, Grifball, etc. Give this playlist 2.5xp. None of these playlists are worthy or capable of supporting a full-time ranked list, but they all have dedicated communities that could be mobilized for finite amounts of time (especially with some good in-game and online marketing for it).
-Have seasonal ranked rewards exactly like Gears 5 does it. Give an instant bonus for hitting the next tier in each playlist, and then another bonus for whatever your peak tier was during that season. Tiers could be "Bronze, Silver", etc, or they could be 0-10, 10-20, etc. Idgaf.
-Do not reset ranks every season. If there is value in reducing rank between seasons (which has yet to be explained to me), then reduce rank by the equivalent of 5 levels in a 1-50.

The only thing i would half disagree with is the rank reset.  I think resets should happen BUT they should be a factor of your recent play time, not tied directly to seasons.  Have rank decay over maybe a 6 month time frame that will slowly lower you by the equivalent of 10%ish of your most recent rank.  it could be like this:

• After 1 month idle - Lose visible rank. Play 1 game to get it back. No rank decay
  • 2 months - Play 3 placement matches. 2% rank decay
  • 3 months - 3 placement matches, 4% decay
  • 4 months - 5 placements, 6% decay
  • 5 months - 5 placements, 8% decay
  • 6 months - 10 placements, 10% decay.

Obviously i pulled those numbers out of my ass they could be whatever actually makes sense, like do that over a 3 month period instead of 6 or change the percentages or whatever, but that generic structure is what im thinking conceptually.

On 11/22/2020 at 3:51 PM, Riddler said:

This has not been my experience in halo. Ever since halo 2. Games range between 50-30, 50-49, and 30-50. I think the problem most of the cod community has is that the community was raised on pub stomping and only caring about their personal stats. Now, they aren't getting their 5.0KDs so they aren't having as much fun. COD probably has this SBMM because their data shows more people play when they aren't being stomped. 

The yo-yo effect is very real in both halo and cod. Its the most common complaint I see for halo. The SBMM can be improved but its very difficult to actually assess. Team vibing is very important. if the team doesnt fit, you can go 5-15. If you gel, you can go 15-5 vs the team same.

i think part of the yo-yo effect is the fact that recent halo games haven't had the population to get real proper ranked matches.  I never had that problem in halo 2 or 3 but we used to bridge for host in Halo 2 to avoid modders, which improved our matchmaking experience significantly. I think that experience is honestly fine in social but not in ranked.  Its a matter of managing expectations.  if you're playing social, you're expecting random games (or should be).  If you're playing ranked you expect to be challenged consistently. Thats the problem with new Halo's, more often than not the ranked and social experiences feel the same.

• Like (+1) 5

4 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

Thats the problem with new Halo's, more often than not the ranked and social experiences feel the same.

Maybe because the players you’re playing on average are the same people. There was a time where we could play rank with any sized party and not plan with other players to search at the same time. 

• Thonking (+0) 1

So phill spencer said halo infinite will most likely release when Xbox series X is most available. They said that Xbox’s will be most available again around April next year. So we may be looking at a summer or winter release date. 
let’s hope those scalping bastards don’t take those. 

Black Ops 2 is to date one of the best multiplayer experiences I have had. It's a shame the direction even call of duty as a series has taken. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Obnokshus said:

Black Ops 2 is to date one of the best multiplayer experiences I have had. It's a shame the direction even call of duty as a series has taken. 

I thought Blacks Ops 1 - 4 were all excellent entries into the franchise, and Treyarch has done well preserving some integrity in the franchise.  Haven't played Cold War but it doesn't look like a step up from Bo4 from my eyes.

3 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

The whole uproar about SBMM in the last 2 years since MW completely misses the mark. People complaining about getting snowballed, and also complaining about sweaty matches, like what do you want lmao. It's pretty obvious that everyone just wants to sit there and be the one running the other team. 

The real issue is that COD is a fundamentally broken game that doesn't play well when played competitively. The best way to do it is sit in a corner and crouch laser people from the shadows. No shit the game isn't fun, it sucks. In a well designed game the higher in skill you get the more fun it becomes, not less. COD isn't a well designed game so all the cracks start showing when people get better, and then the game isn't fun anymore. The problem never had anything to do with SBMM the problem is with the game itself. 

Idk I’d say cod is for the most part decently fun. It’s not the best game though that’s for sure. Even in sweaty matches it can be enjoyable 

to answer what people want. They want matches they can sit back relax and still get tons of kills easily. 

I can't stand CoD. Between the uber-fast kill times and how easy they are to get, and the kill streaks, I always feel like I can drop dead instantly and feel like there was no way I should have known to avoid it. That whole game is just gimmicks on top of gimmicks. It reminds me of that stupid kid's song where the lady swallows a fly, so she swallows a spider to get the fly, and swallows a whatever-the-hell to get the spider, and so on.

Actual footage of a CoD gameplay balance meeting:  https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImpartialHalfDalmatian-size_restricted.gif

• Like (+1) 2

I have one Cod story myself. Never bought one, never played it aside of Cod2. Two or three years ago I went to my friends house.  He bought Xbox, 4k TV and new CoD. I think it was that "throwback" ww cod. He kicked of campaign and I played bit of one of the missions. I literally couldn't spot enemies. Everything was so cluttered, so hard on eyes. Dunno if it was the big TV because I play on monitor, but it was such a bad experience. Haven't touched cod since.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/26/2020 at 2:19 PM, MultiLockOn said:

The whole uproar about SBMM in the last 2 years since MW completely misses the mark. People complaining about getting snowballed, and also complaining about sweaty matches, like what do you want lmao. It's pretty obvious that everyone just wants to sit there and be the one running the other team. 

The real issue is that COD is a fundamentally broken game that doesn't play well when played competitively. The best way to do it is sit in a corner and crouch laser people from the shadows. No shit the game isn't fun, it sucks. In a well designed game the higher in skill you get the more fun it becomes, not less. COD isn't a well designed game so all the cracks start showing when people get better, and then the game isn't fun anymore. The problem never had anything to do with SBMM the problem is with the game itself. 

I've got a lot of CoD playtime. 5th prestige in CoD4, BO1 and BO2, didn't put as much time into MW2/3/Ghosts, but still played them a good deal.

Prior to AW, you got pretty random experiences. Some lobbies, you slapped. Some lobbies, you got slapped. Some lobbies were sweaty as fuck. The randomness was a benefit, not a problem. You could stay or go at your leisure. That guy on the other team's talking shit? Stay in the lobby and kick his ass again next game. 

Now, I can't play with certain friends because it pulls in people I can go toe-to-toe with but whom obliterate my friends. I've got a single friend, out of double digit IRL friends who play MW, who is over 1.00. I'll never get my friends to try to match that 47 game HQ win streak we put together in BO1, because that means playing clones of me every game, and they don't find getting lasered cross map constantly fun.

Also, unrelenting aggression is the optimal CoD strategy for sure. I do not understand why everyone claims MW is built for camping, because the combination of tac sprint, dead silence and an ADS optimized weapon is lethal as fuck, especially with peaker's advantage in your favor.

• Like (+1) 4

I can relate to that. It's always nice to take some really shitty friends into matchmaking and just fuck around. Having to worry about your buddy getting absolutely massacred sucks. Is there not a gamemode for that now or something? 

• Like (+1) 1

CoD is just really behind on how to handle ranked vs social matchmaking because honestly they just really fucked up any ranked modes they had for basically forever. This is a new problem for them so they're probably scrambling to offer an alternative atm

6 hours ago, RC_5213 said:

I've got a lot of CoD playtime. 5th prestige in CoD4, BO1 and BO2, didn't put as much time into MW2/3/Ghosts, but still played them a good deal.

Prior to AW, you got pretty random experiences. Some lobbies, you slapped. Some lobbies, you got slapped. Some lobbies were sweaty as fuck. The randomness was a benefit, not a problem. You could stay or go at your leisure. That guy on the other team's talking shit? Stay in the lobby and kick his ass again next game. 

Now, I can't play with certain friends because it pulls in people I can go toe-to-toe with but whom obliterate my friends. I've got a single friend, out of double digit IRL friends who play MW, who is over 1.00. I'll never get my friends to try to match that 47 game HQ win streak we put together in BO1, because that means playing clones of me every game, and they don't find getting lasered cross map constantly fun.

Also, unrelenting aggression is the optimal CoD strategy for sure. I do not understand why everyone claims MW is built for camping, because the combination of tac sprint, dead silence and an ADS optimized weapon is lethal as fuck, especially with peaker's advantage in your favor.

Man I remember teaming up with some decent dudes in CoD4 and never losing a single game of HQ, similarly in MW2 or BO1. I dont know when it happened, because I skipped some games but by AW there was definitely something going on with SBMM (or maybe everyone just became a god in the meantime?). BO3 was even worse in that regard, could legit not play it with IRL friends.

To me it just doesnt make sense to design a game with inherently random and casual elements such as killstreaks, mines, wallhacks etc. but then slap on tight SBMM on top to force some kind of balance. It just creates a really frustrating experience, because as Multi says, the game just doesnt play well at a high level unless you take out the majorty of elements in the sandbox (the same is true for modern Halos, no surprise there). This clash between game settings and matchmaking parameters is the source of people's frustrations, not SBMM itself.

Also to repeat what I posted previously: I think wide gaps between players are completely fine in unranked playlists, MM should just try to balance the teams against each other. In ranked you don't want a bunch of 45s and 10s in the same lobby, but in social that is completely fine as long as the teams aren't stacked.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

I can relate to that. It's always nice to take some really shitty friends into matchmaking and just fuck around. Having to worry about your buddy getting absolutely massacred sucks. Is there not a gamemode for that now or something? 

Yeah it’s called infection 

• Downvote (-1) 1

5 hours ago, Basu said:

Man I remember teaming up with some decent dudes in CoD4 and never losing a single game of HQ, similarly in MW2 or BO1. I dont know when it happened, because I skipped some games but by AW there was definitely something going on with SBMM (or maybe everyone just became a god in the meantime?). BO3 was even worse in that regard, could legit not play it with IRL friends.

To me it just doesnt make sense to design a game with inherently random and casual elements such as killstreaks, mines, wallhacks etc. but then slap on tight SBMM on top to force some kind of balance. It just creates a really frustrating experience, because as Multi says, the game just doesnt play well at a high level unless you take out the majorty of elements in the sandbox (the same is true for modern Halos, no surprise there). This clash between game settings and matchmaking parameters is the source of people's frustrations, not SBMM itself.

Also to repeat what I posted previously: I think wide gaps between players are completely fine in unranked playlists, MM should just try to balance the teams against each other. In ranked you don't want a bunch of 45s and 10s in the same lobby, but in social that is completely fine as long as the teams aren't stacked.

1. Cods like halo as it’s a very casual game that can easily become competitive. It having different settings in ranked doesn’t change much for the community, as most people can still use their favorite gun. In cod competitive, mines and snipers are the only banned items. And it uses 2-3 modes at best. 
2. These are taken out in high level play because they’re cheap to die too, and doesn’t take much skill. 
3. Technically the SBMM has done its job. Skilled players are matching people close to their skill the only problem is everyone plays like a total jack ass. They’re trying to get shit ton of kills and want it no problem, the truth is you and I are playing sweaty style by default. It’s in our nature. Our aim, our movement.

4. This one is game balancing fault. One thing that’s etched into peoples minds are META GUNS. People would love it if they could use other guns and go off, but that can’t be done if the average player is using a Meta gun. 

2 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

You are truly lost.

Lol shit if you have shitty friends and don’t want them getting steam rolled infections a good mode. Cod infection is quite enjoyable if you want to just fuck around. 

• Salt (-1) 1

1 minute ago, Knighty Knight said:

Having ranked and unranked in the same gamemodes is important. Not just a zombies. I appreciate the recommendation though

Well if you want a typical social tdm and what not then your friends will just get shit on and that’s all that can be said/

• Downvote (-1) 3

14 hours ago, RC_5213 said:

Wide skill differential in one team is always going to be an issue, no matter what. Best the game can do is match the skill differential on the enemy team as well. 

I'm talking about the fact that COD at a high level is not enjoyable or a skillful experience. Of course you find winning 47 games straight fun lmao that's ridiculous. Whether or not you deserved that win streak is another question. There shouldn't be anything wrong with competing with someone at your level if the game is well designed. But it's not, it's exactly how you described it. People just sit back and laser you. I wouldn't describe COD as "aggressive"in a million years. 

8 hours ago, Basu said:

CoD can probably get around this because teams in social are far larger, but it would be really hard to introduce a "balance the teams, not the search" type of system in Halo outside of BTB. No one wants to search with friends just to have the game split your party onto separate teams to balance the lobby.

2 hours ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

CoD can probably get around this because teams in social are far larger, but it would be really hard to introduce a "balance the teams, not the search" type of system in Halo outside of BTB. No one wants to search with friends just to have the game split your party onto separate teams to balance the lobby.

Not what I'm advocating for, I'm saying MM should balance the teams. MCC did stupid shit like splitting parties for a while it was infuriating