CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

53 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Haven’t played it yet but I enjoyed the first two.  

The buttons for Fire and Alt-fire need to be quickly and easily accessible.  Having to fumble with the D pad would make alt fire useless.  

Yeah the first 2 were great.  I started the pre-sequel but never really got into it.

Depends what you are trying to do with it.  Do you want someone to be able to spam back and forth, or do you want to make a decision about what they are going to use?  I am not sure i'm sold on the widespread use of alternate fire modes anyway, or universal activation type.  I would rather they design guns that just work.  If an alt fire comes out of the iteration process and its actually good, then fine.  But I wouldn't want to force it.  Hell, its possible to have multiple ways to activate that all make sense. scoping with the light rifle kind of just makes sense, as does tapping or holding the trigger for the grenade launcher depending on if you want to bounce it or air-burst it.  A third weapon that switches from burst to single shot could make sense toggling on the d-pad.  so TLDR I dont think there should be a set button for activating an alt fire or that alt-fire should be expected on every weapon, or every weapon without a scope or whatever, pick your category.  If it makes sense, is fair and feels good to use select the alt-fire button that works best for that particular weapon design.

36 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

I am not sure i'm sold on the widespread use of alternate fire modes anyway, or universal activation type.

The Gravity Bow’s primary fire kills infantry in two hits (RT).  Alt-fire launches an arcing projectile that creates a Gravity Vortex on impact, tossing and flipping ground vehicles (LT).  X toggles alt-fire between a gravity vortex and a Gravity Anchor that drags down an impacted aerial vehicle.  

One weapon with three unique attacks for infantry, ground vehicles, and aerial vehicles.  All by simply repurposing existing buttons like scope and reload.  That’s what alt-fire can bring to the table.  

1 hour ago, Sitri said:

How do you think the gameplay is worse? I can understand preferring 2016's visual cohesion, but damn near everything else was improved upon in the sequel.

Imho 2016 felt quite different. Darker, more grim, hellish, less colourful, more focused, tighter , less open, even more complex in some aspects, when it comes to leveldesign. Eternal felt little overdone on all aspects. Had great moments, but felt bland, almost lazy in others. Bigger levels, but some straight up bad spots. Secrets were too obvious, not even secrets I would say. Combat was much more complex, the 'kill to refill to kill' loop was quite fun, brave design, but bit forced, never felt I could totally grasp it.

Even the story, very subtle in 2016, I liked better than the space opera take in Eternal.

Almost like the Eternal was too ambitious and couldn't deliver the polish and attention to detail present in 2016. I still consider it a good sequel though.

Might be just personal preference, but that's how I see it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

The Gravity Bow’s primary fire kills infantry in two hits (RT).  Alt-fire launches an arcing projectile that creates a Gravity Vortex on impact, tossing and flipping ground vehicles (LT).  X toggles alt-fire between a gravity vortex and a Gravity Anchor that drags down an impacted aerial vehicle.  

One weapon with three unique attacks for infantry, ground vehicles, and aerial vehicles.  All by simply repurposing existing buttons like scope and reload.  That’s what alt-fire can bring to the table.  

Melee, as well.

I still think the Needler, when melee'd, should discharge the remaining clip like a shotgun.  Close-range supercombine at the cost of a reload.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

TEDIORE. loved that shit.  Borderlands 3 worth it?

BL3 was pretty underwhelming imo. i played through the main story and didnt care for it at all. it didnt have the charm of the first 2

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Boyo said:

9 hours ago, TiberiusAudley said:

Melee, as well.

I still think the Needler, when melee'd, should discharge the remaining clip like a shotgun.  Close-range supercombine at the cost of a reload.

Right, these kind of make my point.  If you design a weapon and alt-fire modes make sense for that particular weapon, you assign which buttons do what according to how the weapon works.  They just should absolutely not be forcing it when they can't think of an idea that actually makes sense, is essentially cosmetic only, or would never be used cuz efficacy, which i think would be the majority of the time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Apoll0 said:

If you design a weapon and alt-fire modes make sense for that particular weapon, you assign which buttons do what according to how the weapon works.

RT is fire.  

LT is scope or alt-fire.  

X is reload or “aux” (auxiliary weapon control - typically toggles a weapon between firemodes or activates a unique ability) 

This gives order, structure, predictability to the button layout, even between different weapons.  Where a Magnum uses these buttons to Fire, Scope, and Reload, the Gravity Bow uses them to Fire, Alt-Fire, and Toggle Firemodes.  

Step 1:  Identify inefficiencies in the button layout 

Scope on scopeless weapons.  

Reload on battery operated weapons.  

Hold Y.  

Jump while airborne.  

Step 2:  Implement features that make sense on the button and also further the overarching goal of promoting/rewarding aggression 

LT is both scope and alt-fire.  

X is both reload and aux weapon control.  

Y is both switch weapons and equip sidearm (hold Y).  

LB is jump and can also activate an aerial ability (LB while airborne).  

Result:  Each button has gained an additional function, increasing its utility without straying from its original purpose.  

27 minutes ago, Boyo said:

RT is fire.  

LT is scope or alt-fire.  

X is reload or “aux” (auxiliary weapon control - typically toggles a weapon between firemodes or activates a unique ability) 

This gives order, structure, predictability to the button layout, even between different weapons.  Where a Magnum uses these buttons to Fire, Scope, and Reload, the Gravity Bow uses them to Fire, Alt-Fire, and Toggle Firemodes.  

It doesn't though.  What if you have a weapon that you want to have a scope and alt fire but scoping is NOT the alt fire?

If you use the reload button to toggle fire modes, what button is then used for reloading? would that be only for weapons that don't need to be reloaded like energy weapons? Are human weapons now excluded from that potential functionality? Do you have to hold X instead of tapping? Because then you run into an issue like the Halo 5 melee delay since ground pound was tied to the same button.  Just like each weapon is (should be) unique and you have to learn how each one functions, if one happens to have alt fire you will learn how to activate it.  I think its better to have an alt-fire tailored to the weapon instead of having a universal activation scheme.  Since not all weapons would, or should, have an alt fire the idea that having a universal scheme making it more straightforward actually does the opposite for weapons that don't have those characteristics.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Apoll0 said:

What if you have a weapon that you want to have a scope and alt fire but scoping is NOT the alt fire?

Short answer:  You can’t.  

But, the Beam Rifle and the Focus Rifle have scopes and can toggle firemodes.  

Beam Rifle/Focus Rifle 

LT - scope 

RT - fire 

X - toggle firemode 

X toggles the Beam Rifle into firing explosive lightning bolts that strike down from the sky.  

X toggles the Focus Rifle into charging then firing a brief laser blast that penetrates and destroys all that it touches.  

1 hour ago, Apoll0 said:

If you use the reload button to toggle fire modes, what button is then used for reloading? would that be only for weapons that don't need to be reloaded like energy weapons? Are human weapons now excluded from that potential functionality?

None.  Yes.  Yes.  Human weapons reload so they cannot toggle firemodes.  

1 hour ago, Apoll0 said:

Do you have to hold X instead of tapping?  Because then you run into an issue like the Halo 5 melee delay since ground pound was tied to the same button.

No, “Hold X” is already mapped to “Action”, meaning it swaps weapons, enters vehicles, activates switches et c.  Like how Reload is immediately activated upon button-press, Toggle Firemodes occurs as soon as X is pressed.  

1 hour ago, Apoll0 said:

Just like each weapon is (should be) unique and you have to learn how each one functions, if one happens to have alt fire you will learn how to activate it.

There are differences in how the alternate attacks/abilities are activated.  In some cases, LT and RT fire unique projectiles.  In other cases, RT and LT+RT fire unique projectiles.  In most cases, X reloads.  In others, X toggles between alt-fire modes.  In still others, X toggles between primary fire modes.  In the case of the Plasma Detonator, X toggles the function of both LT and RT.  

Plasma Detonator 

X toggles between Launcher mode and Detonator mode.  

Launcher mode

RT - charge then fire a burst of up to four homing stickies 

LT - scope 

Detonator mode 

RT - semi automatically fire up to four remotely detonated stickies 

LT - detonate stickies 

21 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

id tech is ass though.

Timestamped

This is from their expansion that just dropped.  Ya'll wanna complain about how bad the lighting quality was in the Infinite reveal, id tech has the most balls quality texture stream rendering pipeline of any modern engine, basically any texture that hasn't sat on your screen for 5 seconds comes in super muddy.  And the lighting quality in ANYTHING that isn't baked (aka, anything you want to cast shadows) is awful.  There's a reason they consistently keep the games so dark and blanket everything with fog / smoke.  Look at the one cutscene in Doom that actually has dynamic lighting in day time.  It looks like 360 era.

Physics simulation is all but nonexistent in id tech as well from what I understand.  BUT, this is why the game runs at like 20000 FPS on a potato.  It's a really leightweight and good looking engine for EXACTLY what Doom is, which is dark and smoky and grungy.  Wouldn't work for Halo.

Based_Department_Thumbnail.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Hemlax said:

Imho 2016 felt quite different. Darker, more grim, hellish, less colourful, more focused, tighter , less open, even more complex in some aspects, when it comes to leveldesign. Eternal felt little overdone on all aspects. Had great moments, but felt bland, almost lazy in others. Bigger levels, but some straight up bad spots. Secrets were too obvious, not even secrets I would say. Combat was much more complex, the 'kill to refill to kill' loop was quite fun, brave design, but bit forced, never felt I could totally grasp it.

Even the story, very subtle in 2016, I liked better than the space opera take in Eternal.

Almost like the Eternal was too ambitious and couldn't deliver the polish and attention to detail present in 2016. I still consider it a good sequel though.

Might be just personal preference, but that's how I see it.

I felt all of those points rang more true with Doom 4. Combat was pretty much the same between the two games, it's just ADHD weapon swapping after every shot until whatever you're looking at dies; when you get to endgame in Eternal you hardly even need to use the chainsaw. Doom 4's secrets were mostly a joke as well. You got a couple of weapons early out of it, but nothing else of any real worth.

While neither game has particularly great level design, I can at least appreciate Eternal for giving some variety to the downtime between arenas. The last game's levels were pretty much just walking in a straight line from point A to point B.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, TiberiusAudley said:

Melee, as well.

I like how streamlined your melee-needle-shotgun is, the melee animation naturally moving the weapon so the top needles are now facing forward.  Like a wizard casting a spell from his wand.  

An alternate approach, that doesn’t involve melee:

Needler 

RT - homing automatic fire 

LT - tilts weapon forward 

LT+RT - fires a short range shotgun blast of needles from the top of the weapon 

2 hours ago, Sitri said:

I felt all of those points rang more true with Doom 4. Combat was pretty much the same between the two games, it's just ADHD weapon swapping after every shot until whatever you're looking at dies; when you get to endgame in Eternal you hardly even need to use the chainsaw. Doom 4's secrets were mostly a joke as well. You got a couple of weapons early out of it, but nothing else of any real worth.

While neither game has particularly great level design, I can at least appreciate Eternal for giving some variety to the downtime between arenas. The last game's levels were pretty much just walking in a straight line from point A to point B.

I mean it's fine to not agree on everything. I liked both games, 2016 just felt better to me, I had fun playing single player fps after quite long time. Same goes for Eternal, but to lesser extent.

I found those retro levels  levers pretty hard to spot and generally I had more fun exploring levels in 2016. Also, when it comes to secrets, I don't really care what those secrets are, but how fun is to find them. Loved secrets in original Doom/Doom 2, and 2016 did better job capturing that exploration.

Those last levels/corridors in Eternal, last boss fight included, were straigh up bad in my eyes.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Sitri said:

How do you think the gameplay is worse? I can understand preferring 2016's visual cohesion, but damn near everything else was improved upon in the sequel.

I actually think it regressed in almost every way.

I thought the art was a HUGE step down.  Doom 2016 was very grounded in its universe and believable, almost like a sci-fi horror.  Perfect fit for the game's intensity honestly.  Eternal was just super gamey across the board.  Outlines on everything.  A lot of the enemy attacks and sound effects and weaknesses are interpreted in very cartoonish ways.  Even the designs that were changed I pretty much think were for the worse across the board, you could make a case for the Baron of Hell looking better but eh.

The HUD is actually one of the ugliest things I've seen in a game.  Being able to change the color scheme and remove many of the extra elements doesn't really do much to fix the actual design of how they look.  Super busy, super gamey.  Just worse honestly.

The soundtrack is not even close to what 2016 put out, which makes sense if you followed all the drama between Mick Gordon and id, I think he just under delivered and felt rushed.  Maybe he got lazy, maybe he had anxiety idk.  But the fact is there was basically no music done right up until launch and it shows.  Almost every track in 2016 was memorable, I can't really recall any from Eternal.

Level Design I thought took a nose dive off the cliff.  Everything in 2016 was really well contextualized, you were scaling that giant generator in the tall-ass room circling up to reach the peak, or the second time you get sent back to hell you're dropping down the esophagus of the slaughtered Demon.  Everything was really, really cinematic and exciting to look at.  Eternal has spinning Mario Fireballs between every arena that 1: aren't even difficult, and 2: are super tedious and honestly made me never want to replay the game. It was never fun so much as frustrating.

The multiplayer in 2016, as gimmicky as it was, was nowhere near the travesty that is Battlemode.  I took 1 look at that when they first announced it and knew it just wouldn't deliver. No one wants it.  They also cut snap map, which had a lot of cool products and experiences coming from it.  Big bummer.

Boss Battles turned into gigantic ad-spam as they throw like 30 enemies at you in addition to the boss itself.  Not fun, no one likes that.  Let me duel the boss.

Idk why they felt the need to take the chainsaw, and separate it into 2 different weapons between the Chainsaw and the Sword, but they legit had it designed in a way that was consolidated and made sense, and then complicated the living hell out of it.  Chainsaw gets ammo for bigger guys, but you can still use it on the smaller guys infinitely? But if you pickup ammo and use it on a smaller enemy it still consumes the ammo even though you can chainsaw them without ammo? And it CAN be used to instakill large enemies but so can the sword.. which requires it's own ammo? They just separated it into 2 buttons for damn reason and it's such a weird system.

They also made a big deal in 2016 about "the story doesn't matter! Just go and kill things!" but actually surprisingly did a really good job of telling a pretty cool story between like, 3 characters.  Vega, Olivia, and Samuel Hayden.  It was well executed, the dialogue rode the line perfectly, I knew where I was going.  The level progression made sense. It was epic when you finally got to hell, then were sent back, and then sent back again to finish up the game.  It was just so well done.  Now in Eternal they ACTUALLY wanted to tell a story (which is totally fine, they should want to) but they made the game MORE gamey, and less grounded.  And the story telling was just really weak. There was a lot of random things going on, I never knew where my character was headed and why, the dialogue was a little cringy, the cinematography was really bad.. it just all seemed very armature.

Glory Kills were stupid in 2016 and they're stupid now.  It's worth noting that it seems like the number of unique animations for enemy glory kills seems to be half of what it was prior.

NOW.  AAAALLL that being said, if the core combat of the game has improved, then it doesn't really matter if all those other aspects I just named sucked because the core design is really what matters the most.  By far.  And I do think the core combat got better... or at least, Eternal is a much harder game than 2016 which I appreciate.  But I think the ways in which they made it harder were really poorly designed.  Like they just went about everything in the worst way possible.

I want you to imagine how difficult it must be to program an AI that has to move in such a way that it can hurt you as a player in Doom, considering how crazy fast and acrobatic Doom guy is.  That is not an easy thing.  Especially because so many of the enemies in Doom hurt you by physically touching you, not lobbing projectiles.,,, so they introduced this double dash, which like...cool I guess. Whatever.  You could look at it akin to a dodge roll in Dark Souls.  It's a very intentional way to tell your player, "I want to avoid this attack".  Which is dope, and intentional.  The problem is you already move fast as all living hell in Doom and are super athletic.  Now you're giving what is effectively an insane dash that I can basically press as fast I want to.  You legit could remove the left thumbstick from my remote in Doom Eternal and it really wouldn't make a difference because the whole time you're playing that game you're just mashing that stupid dash button over and over and over and over and over.  And so what do you do to make it so you can still die?  Now you've got to spawn WAY more enemies.  They've got to move faster.  Hit harder.  The projectiles in Doom Eternal travel WAY faster than they did in 2016.  Why? Because the player movement is ridiculous, it's stupid honestly.  So now to make it still difficult you spawn 2x the enemies and everywhere you look there's a wall of fireballs coming at you.  It's not elegant design, at all.  It's kinda obnoxious and spammy.  Most people call this a "power fantasy" because oh shit look how fast I can move this is so crazy and fun haha yeah but it's super harmful.  There is no ONE enemy in Doom that is difficult to fight (except the Marauder, kinda, but we'll get to that) because your character is so ridiculously mismatched.  So the only way they make the game difficult is by throwing a hundred of them at you at once.  That is not effecient.

Dark Souls can throw ONE enemy at you, and you'll be stuck there for hours.  So when they decide to throw 2, it's like "Oh shit, this is really hard".  They need to focus on de-escalating Doom, and Doom guy and making the combat fun to fight a single person.  If you can do that, then fighting 2 will be crazy, and can you imagine 5? Right now they've kinda pressed themselves into a corner because they chased a power fantasy and the game suffers.  It's just super annoying to play personally.  The ONE good thing they did in Eternal is sort of address that, in you deal with enemies in specific ways.  Like shooting the turrets off the spider guys or mancubus arms. Or the grenade into the cacodemon's mouth.  My issue with that is that it's super predefined and they've basically spelled out to you exactly how to deal with every enemy without any creativity (I mean, they literally have popups that tell you how to kill them. Ew).  I think if they just applied certain attributes to weapons like, the plasma rifle IN GENERAL will stun enemies, the ballista in general will knock them back, the super shotgun in general staggers them - then you can look at every enemy and their size / weight and determine what you need in that moment.  Instead of straight up just assigning a weapon per enemy.  But even with all the work they did on that front, the best way to play Doom Eternal is the same best way to play Doom 2016.  Which is to fast swap between 7 weapons and blast them down rocketshotgungrenadestunballistashotgunrocket in like 2 seconds.  They didn't really achieve their goal.  2016 had this same issue but at least I wasn't spamming a dash button for no reason every .6 seconds because the game is tuned around it.  It was just a simpler design that accomplished the same thing without additional complexity.  And I'm willing to bet if you checked the player retention graphs on Steam between 2016 and Eternal it'll show that 2016 had a lot better retention.  I played through Doom 2016 maybe 15 times.  I couldn't get myself to finish Doom Eternal twice, it's just annoying.  I like the difficulty, I don't like how they achieved it.

Also, the entire skill of Doom is killing a lot of poeple, really fast.  The way you get better at Doom is doing the same thing, but faster.  The Marauder you don't kill faster.  You have to shoot him when HE allows you to shoot him, for an allocated amount of time. That's stupid.  You can't ever get better at it.  You just follow the same sequence over and over.  Dumb. It's also worth noting that Marty and Hugo's favorite game is Bloodborne (which it should be) and while they've never admitted it, you can tell pretty easily that they just made the Marauder to be a 1-1 rip of a Bloodborne Hunter duel.  He has a blunderbust in one hand and an axe in the other.  He dashes around in the same way.  And the way you fight him is the same as parrying in Bloodborne, you shoot right when they're attacking and it staggers.  I promise once you think about it, it'll becoming very obvious lol.  They legit were playing that game and said "how can we get this in Doom" and designed the worst enemy ever.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Fire (+1) 2
  • Thonking (+0) 1

46 minutes ago, Xandrith said:

The marauder has a hitscan shield lmao

Hitscan is a casual filter.

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

The HUD is actually one of the ugliest things I've seen in a game.  Being able to change the color scheme and remove many of the extra elements doesn't really do much to fix the actual design of how they look.  Super busy, super gamey.  Just worse honestly.

I like the HUD. It's just visible enough, I found it really easy to get lost in 2016's. It's a fair criticism regardless.

Almost every track in 2016 was memorable, I can't really recall any from Eternal.

Not sure if I could say the same. Both games have their couple of tracks that everyone fawns over, but it's all just indistinct background noise to me.

Boss Battles turned into gigantic ad-spam as they throw like 30 enemies at you in addition to the boss itself.  Not fun, no one likes that.  Let me duel the boss.

I didn't mind having other enemies present for boss battles. The original games never had 1v1 fights against the boss of an episode.

Idk why they felt the need to take the chainsaw, and separate it into 2 different weapons between the Chainsaw and the Sword, but they legit had it designed in a way that was consolidated and made sense, and then complicated the living hell out of it.  Chainsaw gets ammo for bigger guys, but you can still use it on the smaller guys infinitely? But if you pickup ammo and use it on a smaller enemy it still consumes the ammo even though you can chainsaw them without ammo? And it CAN be used to instakill large enemies but so can the sword.. which requires it's own ammo? They just separated it into 2 buttons for damn reason and it's such a weird system.

Hitting little guys with the chainsaw still eats up a charge, but your chainsaw will always regenerate to 1. I dislike the sword as well, but the chainsaw is fine- if you can go long enough without needing a refill you deserve an instakill on one of the medium-tier enemies.

They also made a big deal in 2016 about "the story doesn't matter! Just go and kill things!" but actually surprisingly did a really good job of telling a pretty cool story between like, 3 characters.  Vega, Olivia, and Samuel Hayden.  It was well executed, the dialogue rode the line perfectly, I knew where I was going.  The level progression made sense. It was epic when you finally got to hell, then were sent back, and then sent back again to finish up the game.  It was just so well done.  Now in Eternal they ACTUALLY wanted to tell a story (which is totally fine, they should want to) but they made the game MORE gamey, and less grounded.  And the story telling was just really weak. There was a lot of random things going on, I never knew where my character was headed and why, the dialogue was a little cringy, the cinematography was really bad.. it just all seemed very armature.

I can skip them, which is all I care about. Playing 2016 outside of Arcade Mode was a drag after the first time, because there's so many forced "sit and listen" moments. Especially when my save file would corrupt regularly and delete all my progress.

Dark Souls can throw ONE enemy at you, and you'll be stuck there for hours.  So when they decide to throw 2, it's like "Oh shit, this is really hard".  They need to focus on de-escalating Doom, and Doom guy and making the combat fun to fight a single person. 

That's not really what Doom or any other FPS of the era was about. Enemies on thir own are weak, and become a threat when used in varying combinations and numbers. Neither game really hits the potential with this, however. The queue of new enemies spawning in to replace old ones as they die makes this concept impossible.

And I'm willing to bet if you checked the player retention graphs on Steam between 2016 and Eternal it'll show that 2016 had a lot better retention.

https://steamcharts.com/app/782330#All
https://steamcharts.com/app/379720#All
Eternal lost more players, but it peaked much higher.

Also, the entire skill of Doom is killing a lot of poeple, really fast.  The way you get better at Doom is doing the same thing, but faster.  The Marauder you don't kill faster.  You have to shoot him when HE allows you to shoot him, for an allocated amount of time. That's stupid.  You can't ever get better at it.  You just follow the same sequence over and over.  Dumb. It's also worth noting that Marty and Hugo's favorite game is Bloodborne (which it should be) and while they've never admitted it, you can tell pretty easily that they just made the Marauder to be a 1-1 rip of a Bloodborne Hunter duel.  He has a blunderbust in one hand and an axe in the other.  He dashes around in the same way.  And the way you fight him is the same as parrying in Bloodborne, you shoot right when they're attacking and it staggers.  I promise once you think about it, it'll becoming very obvious lol.  They legit were playing that game and said "how can we get this in Doom" and designed the worst enemy ever.

The Marauder forces you to concentrate your ADHD weapon switching into a small timeframe, but you can also just hit him with indirect rocket blasts and throw grenades at him. You can one-cycle him with the correct timing.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Sitri said:

I like the HUD. It's just visible enough, I found it really easy to get lost in 2016's. It's a fair criticism regardless.

Not sure if I could say the same. Both games have their couple of tracks that everyone fawns over, but it's all just indistinct background noise to me.

I didn't mind having other enemies present for boss battles. The original games never had 1v1 fights against the boss of an episode.

Hitting little guys with the chainsaw still eats up a charge, but your chainsaw will always regenerate to 1. I dislike the sword as well, but the chainsaw is fine- if you can go long enough without needing a refill you deserve an instakill on one of the medium-tier enemies.

I can skip them, which is all I care about. Playing 2016 outside of Arcade Mode was a drag after the first time, because there's so many forced "sit and listen" moments. Especially when my save file would corrupt regularly and delete all my progress.

That's not really what Doom or any other FPS of the era was about. Enemies on thir own are weak, and become a threat when used in varying combinations and numbers. Neither game really hits the potential with this, however. The queue of new enemies spawning in to replace old ones as they die makes this concept impossible.

The Marauder forces you to concentrate your ADHD weapon switching into a small timeframe, but you can also just hit him with indirect rocket blasts and throw grenades at him. You can one-cycle him with the correct timing.

Just wanted to put this out there; I still enjoyed Eternal for what it's worth.  I'm just hyper critical of design, and I thought there were a lot of things about Eternal that were a big step down from the first one.  If I had never played Doom 2016 and went straight into Eternal it would've been harder for me to complain, but now that I had already had a precedent it felt like they just went backwards.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Sitri said:

ew DOOM eternals HUD is fucking awful I thought all the pre release footage was some kind of arcade mode or something. Nope just the normal default HUD.

Best part of Id tech is them letting us disable HUD. 

You remember the mech on Doom fortress. I was waiting the whole time I will be able to use it to fight that huge demon. Missed opportunity.

• Upvote (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Marauder is a good enemy 

He is great character, boss fight was good, but as a standard enemy, he breaks the flow of the game.

BF1 looking twice as good as BFV is 100% on the art team. The art style of BF1 is incredible and gritty.

BFV is FUN SUNSHINE FRUITY LAND and does not suit WW2 whatsoever. I can't believe they removed weather events.

• Like (+1) 1