CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

32 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Let's be real, they probably had planned to release a bunch of shit starting with the reveal demo, but decided to push it all back cuz if the delay. 

Let's be real, the only unified vision 343 have ever had was in 2012 as an armour ability.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Toxic (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Let's be real, the only unified vision 343 have ever had was in 2012 as an armour ability.

Lets be real, even that may have been created by certain affinity.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

343 is using old marketing techniques where they tell the audience nothing before release and tell them a month or two before launch. These aren’t things people enjoyed which is why these days we see gameplay and what not for games usually a year in advance 

You've got that backwards. Developers are taking advantage of top streamers playing their game. Look at Apex or Call of Duty. 

9 hours ago, Shekkles said:

I can't believe how accurate this is. In terms of multiplayer we have, literally only this information 100% confirmed:

- Free

-120fps on XSS/XSX

- You can't choose your colour off the bat

- Colours are going to have microtransactions

- It's delayed

That... That's it...

Just. Wow. This game was supposed to release two weeks from now.

Hey man, give them some credit: we know the grappling hook is an on-map pickup too!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Hooked 1

Getting a kick out of everyone calling the recent developments “anti-consumer”.

If video games had started off as a free game/ MTX model and were only NOW transitioning to a full price/ all cosmetics available model, people would be talking about “they’re forcing cosmetics on us to make us pay full price”. 

I struggle with the idea that free game/ paid cosmetics is somehow more anti-consumer over paid game and DLC/ included cosmetics.

• Like (+1) 7

F2P game or not, but there's literally a hundred other ways they could have monetized cosmetics in the game without pissing people off. 

Alternative HUDs, assassinations, weapon skins, weapon charms, vehicle skins, dedicated servers for customs, etc. 

Nobody would have cared if they monetized those. That's too much work for 342 though, so now you get preset color armors. 

"I care more about gameplay than colors" Everyone does. The point is that it's still a braindead decision, and further drives home the point that this company lives on a different fucking planet than the playerbase. 

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

F2P game or not, but there's literally a hundred other ways they could have monetized cosmetics in the game without pissing people off. 

Alternative HUDs, assassinations, weapon skins, weapon charms, vehicle skins, dedicated servers for customs, etc. 

Nobody would have cared if they monetized those. That's too much work for 342 though, so now you get preset color armors. 

"I care more about gameplay than colors" Everyone does. The point is that it's still a braindead decision, and further drives home the point that this company lives on a different fucking planet than the playerbase. 

even if they didnt monetize it, it is still dumb to remove features that have been there since the beginning

• Upvote (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

even if they didnt monetize it, it is still dumb to remove features that have been there since the beginning

Look at it this way, they are going to monetize something.  Be thankful it’s something as mundane as armor color and not something game-changing/breaking like weapons, attachments, kill streaks, et c.  

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

What makes you think they’re not monetizing those things as well?

• Thonking (+0) 2

12 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Let's be real, they probably had planned to release a piece of shit unfinished game again, but decided to push it all back cuz if the delay. 

FTFY

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, NavG123 said:

What makes you think they’re not monetizing those things as well?

Because I guarantee they won’t. Although Warzone might be a different story 

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Look at it this way, they are going to monetize something.  Be thankful it’s something as mundane as armor color and not something game-changing/breaking like weapons, attachments, kill streaks, et c.  

I really hate the lesser of two evils here, but it's sad that it's our reality.

The thing here that actually bothers me is their complete inability and/or unwillingness to just make the game the players want to play. Its really frustrating to watch Halo "evolve" with every title they take on feedback and address some things that weren't so good about the most recent game prior to the one they're working on but then instead of going even deeper and looking for adjustments to pull the entire series together and release something that people want they try to reinvent the wheel elsewhere only to go back and have to address that in whatever game they work on after the one they're about to ship. These dudes are so far ahead of themselves that they don't even realize it and its why the transition to 343 Halo never worked and probably won't in the future if we're being honest. Obviously I'll participate in flights or betas and give feedback but it feels impossible 

MCC is a great example of how the entire franchise should be running. It launched really badly but notice how over time the game has moved more and more in the correct direction as they take on feedback from the people who actually play the game. The long arc of MCC development has overall moved towards a better and more refined experience. They moved onto PC. They're moving into crossplay. They're mostly leaving gameplay alone but they're moving towards better shot registration and more stable builds. Better features etc. H4 through Halo Infinite should've been that for the entire series. Nothing super new or crazy or different just refinement

• Like (+1) 6

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

so why not monitize armor kits, weapon skins and/or color shaders for weapons, key chains, announcer packs, or anything else that is additive to the game. allowing them to paywall a standard feature of the franchise  because "it's just cosmetic" gives them a free pass when they don't deserve it.

we can shit on people who are only just now upset at 342, but honestly, i like those parts of the game, even if i'm the only one who will ever see it. i normally dont see eye to eye with most of the halo community bc i want MP to play like H2, but that doesnt mean i cant also agree with outrage over selling back a normally included feature under the guise of giving us expression. i fully welcome them aboard the ax 342 train because the more people hop on, the more MS will have to take notice and make a real change

• Upvote (+1) 1

Idea: the shield regen delay being accelerated by getting a kill. Something like 1s to start recharge if left undisturbed after a kill, it resets if you take damage however. 

It's a way of allowing faster health regen without allowing escaping to heal being effective, the latter could even be tuned to be slower, as the majority of times you regen health is after winning an engagement anyways.

It could really help empower a player as you can really push an advantage. For reference there is a perk in CoD MW (Quick Fix) which instantly starts regen upon a kill, and it lets me play insanely aggressive. Mistakes are still punished though, as that needs normal regen. You could make some really clutch plays by attacking instead of retreating to regain health. It literally rewards agression.

Halo with the long TTK is something else however, and I could see some downsides in relation to teamshotting, escaping and with other parts of the sandbox. I think it would empower single players more than a teamshot death squad though, if you play smartly, you have more health to spend versus two players given you can kill one of them. Escaping to deny a full heal is also kinda encouraged, but pursuing also becomes better. Overall I don't think that is a bigger issue than it is. When it comes to other areas of the sandbox, someone with a power weapon is insanely powerful for instance. Perhaps explosives could be exempt. 

Counters could be added too, like the radioactive projectiles of the Carbine delaying regen, fitting its already suppressive role.

Stray thought: It's a bit like increasing the respawn timer. A death is more punishing (for the team), a kill is more rewarding (for the killer/team).

An alternative take is to (also) boost the delay when landing weapon damage. One thing it would achieve is when pursuing an enemy, you will get your shields back extra early if you can land some damage.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@potetr @MultiLockOn mentioned a power up that slowly drains the user’s shields but also vampires any damage he deals back into his shields, constantly tugging them up and down.  

A more binary way of handling it is an item that enhances the base melee traits.  This pick up causes the user’s shields to begin recharging upon delivery of a fatal melee strike.  

A close quarters grenade type could act like a Derringer, quickly firing a short range beam that vampires an enemy’s shields over the course of a brief period.  

Reducing the shield recharge delay based on how much damage the player deals would make situations seem random because a core mechanic can no longer be accurately predicted and accounted for (it’s shield-sprint).  In my personal opinion, an across the board trait change, ala Speedboost or Damage Boost, is boring/uninspired in a sandbox-centric game like Halo and while this isn’t quite that, it’s not that far off either.  

@Boyo Thats a really good take on a vampirism pickup.

Re last paragraph, it isn't entirely unpredictable as it involves interaction with the opposite team.

I'm not pitching it as a pickup, but a default trait. Damage boost is uninspired as a pickup yes, but a low TTK starting weapon isn't.

3 hours ago, potetr said:

Idea: the shield regen delay being accelerated by getting a kill. Something like 1s to full shields if left undisturbed. It resets if you take damage however. 

It's a way of allowing faster health regen without allowing escaping to heal being effective, the latter could even be tuned to be slower, as the majority of times you regen health is after winning an engagement anyways.

It could really help empower a player as you can really push an advantage. For reference there is a perk in CoD MW (Quick Fix) which instantly starts regen upon a kill, and it lets me play insanely aggressive. Mistakes are still punished though, as that needs normal regen. You could make some really clutch plays by attacking instead of retreating to regain health. It literally rewards agression.

I like the idea of kills cutting down shield stun time (which is what I believe you meant), but 1 second as the default recharge time is ridiculously low. Even Halo 2, 3, and 5 (with lower recharge times) have a 5 point something second stun time. 

The default stun time should stay at around 5.25 seconds, while a kill cuts said time period in half. 

This wouldn't disrupt existing Halo tactics/strategy much either, since players who don't have shields usually don't try to get kills. It'd just be a reward for players who are skilled/bold enough to do so. 

4 hours ago, potetr said:

Halo with the long TTK is something else however, and I could see some downsides in relation to teamshotting, escaping and with other parts of the sandbox. I think it would empower single players more than a teamshot death squad though, if you play smartly, you have more health to spend versus two players given you can kill one of them. Escaping to deny a full heal is also kinda encouraged, but pursuing also becomes better. Overall I don't think that is a bigger issue than it is. When it comes to other areas of the sandbox, someone with a power weapon is insanely powerful for instance. Perhaps explosives could be exempt. 

Yes, this is an important consideration. Tier 3 weapons and splash damage weapons are things that I'd make exceptions to this. 

We don't have a dilemma between "individual strength" and "team strength", team strength increases directly with individual strength. It's specifically teamshot that's being reduced in effectiveness, which is a good thing. People play Halo for the clutch mid-match dynamic team maneuvers, not to sit back at S2 for 25 minutes. 

4 hours ago, potetr said:

Counters could be added too, like the radioactive projectiles of the Carbine delaying regen, fitting its already suppressive role.

Stray thought: It's a bit like increasing the respawn timer. A death is more punishing (for the team), a kill is more rewarding (for the killer/team).

An alternative take is to (also) boost the delay when landing weapon damage. One thing it would achieve is when pursuing an enemy, you will get your shields back extra early if you can land some damage.

Yeah, I had this exact same idea for the carbine. 

The player puts themselves at risk by using a less lethal weapon in a gunfight, but netting a kill or sufficient shots on an opponent will suppress said opponent and allow for a play to take place. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Knighty Knight said:

You've got that backwards. Developers are taking advantage of top streamers playing their game. Look at Apex or Call of Duty. 

Ah yes. Apex. The Brute-force streaming campaign. It was honestly very impressive. Everyone thought everyone was playing it because all the top streamers were and Apex was top of Twitch.

Then everyone was playing it so it was a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Whoever did that marketing plan for that is a god.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Ah yes. Apex. The Brute-force streaming campaign. It was honestly very impressive. Everyone thought everyone was playing it because all the top streamers were and Apex was top of Twitch.

Streamers is one way I’ll give it that to get a game advertised successfully 

2 hours ago, Shekkles said:

It was a triple A battle Royale when battle royales were at their height. It was always going to get its 15 minutes at the very least. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, _Synapse said:

I like the idea of kills cutting down shield stun time (which is what I believe you meant), but 1 second as the default recharge time is ridiculously low. Even Halo 2, 3, and 5 (with lower recharge times) have a 5 point something second stun time. 

The default stun time should stay at around 5.25 seconds, while a kill cuts said time period in half.

That's what I meant, yes! Could have been more clear. What I meant with the second part is that kills cut it down to 1s if you don't take damage after getting the kill, taking damage resets the stun time (as it does already, but the bonus is also lost). Normal delay before recharge should stay or increase. That way after winning a 1v1 you are good to go after 1s+shield charge time, significantly reducing time spent not engaging with the enemy.

It needs to be low to have more of an impact, and be more fun. You still have to wait for your shield itself to regen almost fully too. About 3,5s instead of 6s isn't that big of a reduction. Very few used Quick Fix before it was buffed from halving the time to instantly start healing. You should have 1s to land some damage, preventing a heal, though. Would need playtesting of course, but I would have started with 0.5-1s to start healing on Tier 1, 2 and melee kills.

If the base experience is fun then I'll consider buying my iconic gold+white coating.