CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

18 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Dear god, I DESPISE  the self-styled pro-SBMM crowd. 

"Oh? You don't want to be sweating for your life, game after game, in unranked modes? Lol u just want ez pubstomp i'm very intelligent" 

The amount of mental and physical effort expended by two zero-skill teams and two top-skilled teams, in a competitive game against each other, is NOT EQUAL. Even at a moderately high level, playing equally skilled opponents requires a lot of effort. It's not like when Timmy and Jimmy's teams match each other and fuck around in ghosts while using detached turrets.

When you have to expend that effort, game after game after game after fucking game -  in a mode that's meant to be social, it becomes extremely exhausting to play, extremely quickly. 

Removing SBMM wouldn't even fucking hurt the lower skilled players. Sure, they're matching more skilled players on average, but they have a ranked mode that they can play in if they find themselves matching gods in social modes. Even then, players who are so outrageously skilled that they ruin the game for everybody else -  comprise less than 3% of a game's population. 

Most people supporting SBMM either:

1) Have an average playtime of two hours per week. 

2) Are too mediocre to match sweaty opponents.

Yes I know this is a dead horse but this argument keeps getting revived on Twitter and the usual braindead replies keep pouring out of the sewer grates

I support skill based mm for the fact in h5 on average my opponents and team are so far pretty evenly matched but every now and then I get the worse of the worse 

12 hours ago, Boyo said:

MTX that temporarily lowers your SBMM rank.  You’re welcome 343.  

LOL that would be hilarious. Paying money to play shit kids. I wonder who would jump on that train? Streamers? Youtubers? montagers? PROS?

I think its sort of interesting how against sbmm people are. For the most part I really haven't ever played social if its up to me and it just kind of happens when MCC is dead or I'm playing with someone else so I guess I haven't really noticed the change people bring up with it? I can sort of imagine it might suck if you're playing with someone a lot worse than you are and they just get pounded because of it every game in social 

• Like (+1) 1

I think releasing them separate but obviously still within the same installation/menu for cross advertisement when both are finally released later is the correct move. They've gotta release games worth playing on their new console ASAP

hypothetical scenario, the Halo Infinite multiplayer would be released first since that aspect of the game is seemingly not the reason why it was delayed out of the Series X launch window.My favorite quote 

It’s been a long time since I played overwatch but o just found out they have this system from a comment wanting incentives to ranked mm and this be perfect for the game.

“Personally I think they should go the overwatch route and feature a currency that you can acquire exclusively from ranked. Have an offering of skins/armor perms that can only be bought with ranked currency. Boom, a huge motivation for players to go out and jump into ranked.”

this method is realistic than permanent double XP, or earn points through rank only or something. If 343 did this system, I’d Luke it if the best looking armors and skins be, behind the ranked points.

• Fire (+1) 1

I am not sure if releasing sp and mp separately is such a good idea. It reminds me too much of the H5 and MCC shenanigans with separate forge and such. I want strong complete product.

Wouldn't mind long beta though.

6 minutes ago, Hemlax said:

I am not sure if releasing sp and mp separately is such a good idea. It reminds me too much of the H5 and MCC shenanigans with separate forge and such. I want strong complete product.

Wouldn't mind long beta though.

Bruh who gives a fuck no one plays campaign except a small mimoroyy and most of us multiplayer guys will play it for the hell of it. But multiplayer is where 90% the community is. If they released mp with forge, many games types, Warzone, firefight then we’d be fine. It’s obvious the campaign is the only thing negatively affected this time and that’s because of over ambition. They decided to make a open world game but here’s a problem how do you make this work in halo. Most games can follow trends and do fine but as a know halo isn’t one of them 

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 2

46 minutes ago, Hemlax said:

It is a good idea because of one massive difference: MP is free.

37 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Bruh who gives a fuck no one plays campaign except a small mimoroyy and most of us multiplayer guys will play it for the hell of it. But multiplayer is where 90% the community is.

You could not be more wrong with this. Halo has a massive singleplayer fanbase. Especially co-op.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

no one plays campaign except a small minority

Halo is a top 30 franchise of all time and it aint for the PvP. Someone +rep this with the hooked emoji.

• Hooked 3

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

You could not be more wrong with this. Halo has a massive singleplayer fanbase. Especially co-op.

Where? As far as I’m concerned it’s pretty small. When people think of halo they think of its mp

• WutFace (+0) 2

16 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Where? As far as I’m concerned it’s pretty small. When people think of halo they think of its mp

Everywhere. No they dont. +rep me with "hooked" emoji again please.

• Hooked 3

2 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

When you think of Halo you think of it's MP. Infinite was initially delayed because of feedback from Halo 5's terrible campaign and story. When most people think of Halo they think of Master Chief, The Covenant and the Flood. They do not think of Capture the Flag and Slayer.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

As far as I’m concerned it’s pretty small.

That’s what she said.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1

4 hours ago, Shekkles said:

They do not think of Capture the Flag and Slayer.

tbh if I had full control of multiplayer design for a competitive Halo multiplayer experience, neither of those gametypes would be in the settings.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

2 hours ago, TiberiusAudley said:

tbh if I had full control of multiplayer design for a competitive Halo multiplayer experience, neither of those gametypes would be in the settings.

I remember you've explained a couple of times how you see the two as interchangeable and very similar in how they're played. I don't feel the same way personally, but I get your point.

18 minutes ago, LoftiestTea33 said:

I remember you've explained a couple of times how you see the two as interchangeable and very similar in how they're played. I don't feel the same way personally, but I get your point.

Nah, I don't view CTF and Slayer as interchangeable.  Those comments were probably re: Oddball vs KotH (where I view Oddball as worse)

I view Slayer as a poor competitive gametype in general because the objective is "Don't die" -- you can literally win a game of Slayer without a single kill (if your opponent suicides once).  The objective itself does not promote movement, so movement is entirely map reliant, and most map designs tend to set up so many segmented sightlines that there is no movement incentive at all, or the map is extremely small and it becomes highly chaotic and all about going on runs.

CTF, though, is a gametype that never really made sense for Halo competitively.  I get that CTF is a common wargame objective, but when it comes to video games, CTF really only shines in games where there are movement mechanics and your route matters almost as much as your gunskill.  Tribes is a game where CTF makes sense.  The movement is front and center in the game.  Hell, Titanfall makes more sense to have CTF than Halo.  I don't think CTF is -bad- in Halo, I just... don't think it's a gametype designed to show off the strongest points of Halo gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

1 minute ago, TiberiusAudley said:

Nah, I don't view CTF and Slayer as interchangeable.  Those comments were probably re: Oddball vs KotH (where I view Oddball as worse)

I view Slayer as a poor competitive gametype in general because the objective is "Don't die" -- you can literally win a game of Slayer without a single kill (if your opponent suicides once).  The objective itself does not promote movement, so movement is entirely map reliant, and most map designs tend to set up so many segmented sightlines that there is no movement incentive at all, or the map is extremely small and it becomes highly chaotic and all about going on runs.

CTF, though, is a gametype that never really made sense for Halo competitively.  I get that CTF is a common wargame objective, but when it comes to video games, CTF really only shines in games where there are movement mechanics and your route matters almost as much as your gunskill.  Tribes is a game where CTF makes sense.  The movement is front and center in the game.  Hell, Titanfall makes more sense to have CTF than Halo.  I don't think CTF is -bad- in Halo, I just... don't think it's a gametype designed to show off the strongest points of Halo gameplay.

Oh yup that was it. And I think a lot of people would agree that Slayer in Halo is pretty meh. CTF I like in H5, but find boring as hell in H3 but that matches what you said about movement. (I also can't stand it in H3 cause the announcer drives me insane tbh)

I would argue Slayer suffers far more from poor sandbox decisions and slow as fuck item rotations, and that's the only reason why it sucks outside CE. "Not dying" becomes a lot harder when you're not actively securing an edge over your opponents, when they are.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

8 hours ago, TiberiusAudley said:

This is going to be a major life lesson, so repeat after me:

My experiences do not dictate someone else's.

Well every forum and twitter helps support my claim. I don’t care if a small minority plays halo for its story.

so repeat after me: the majority opinion is what truly matters and it’s not up for debate that a FPS game like halo is known for its multiplayer than its campaign. 

• Downvote (-1) 9