CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

I hope for eSports roadmap + launch invitational. They've got to have stoned this down + it will be part of the heavy marketing that I believe it's coming pretty soon if the spring release is to be believed. They will still want to ride that new generation wave.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/20/2020 at 12:42 AM, Hard Way said:

I understand the argument for them. There is technically skill in keeping track of them, though to me it's outweighed by needing to actually win a battle for an item everyone is setting up for (not to mention coaches negate this skill in tournaments).

I think the real argument in their favor is that matches will play out differently from game to game, cycle to cycle. However, you lose the "overlap" dynamic that you get with static timers, where a powerup becomes more powerful the later it's grabbed in the cycle because you'll get to ride it into the next cycle.  There's merit to both, but I prefer static because I like the idea of multiple powerups being in play at once.

There's also something to be said for adapting to the way the other team is playing each cycle. Damnation and Chill Out both demonstrate how you need to show the opposing team different looks later in games, otherwise they'll adapt and counter your setups. You lose that with dynamic spawns, because the cadence of spawns is going to be different every cycle (unless there's only one powerup, which is ass anyways).

That's actually a weak argument, dynamic timers allow for lining up items as well, it's just harder to get the information and people have to be more aware of timing items, Quake rather easily shows this is doable but I think Halo players usually think of dynamic timers as being "unfair" because they are used to spawn with the strongest & most versatile gun in the game that usually aims a decent amount by itself and if the enemy could have an item that the enemy team timed but your team didn't they get salty because over the years the teamshot meta has been so dominant that nobody expects power weapons / power ups to be able to shift games by a lot.
Static timers remove a layer of depth from map control and the way Halo pros see it seems to suggest that they think teamshot is what should win them items so static timers are just more convenient because you can play almost exactly as braindead as if there was no item spawning.
Doubt many people will agree with me on this but it's the same with all the kids thinking asymmetrical maps are inherently unfair because of the spawning conditions ignoring that you can have a lot more positional and geometrical depth if not everything has to be mirrored over.

On 9/28/2020 at 4:56 AM, Sitri said:

A shotgun starting weapon could work fine if it worked similarly to Quake 1's starting shotgun. In that game it's basically a pistol that fires multiple projectiles at a time. Tune its damage so it takes more than just a couple of shots to kill and you're good to go.

Quake 1 boomstick is actually hitscan, maybe you are thinking of mods like Arcane Dimensions that change the boomstick and SSG to projectiles.
Nothing wrong with either design for a starting weapon I think but hitscan starting weapons are always hard to balance because with a high fire rate they deal good consistent range damage, thinking of how people use the Quake 3 starting MG to chip away at people that are positioned far trying to hit railgun shots.
A shotgun firing rays in a cone for hitscan can help with the damage at range ofc.

3 hours ago, Warlord Wossman said:

but I think Halo players usually think of dynamic timers as being "unfair" because they are used to spawn with the strongest & most versatile gun in the game that usually aims a decent amount by itself

They're unfair because unless you were the one who picked up the item last, not only do you have no idea when it's going to spawn, you have no idea when the other team actually drops the weapon and causes the timer to start. How are you supposed to coordinate a push when the other team is the only one who has that information?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

The problem with asymmetrical maps lies in the average positioning and yes to a great degree spawning. Look at the CE maps and most people will say the spawns are bs on those maps, the power positions are too powerful, etc. you need to make it so there’s no true power position. That I can attack, see etc through at least 2-5 angles. On damnation there’s only two ways to get up top and that makes it far too easy to predict where I’ll come from. Reach version with the lifts helps this problem but it’s not enough to fix the problem most have with assym maps

The CE version has built-in anti-camping measures. Namely, everything minus camo spawning on the bottom. 

The Reach version just sucks. Mostly because it's attached to Reach gameplay. 

Dynamic timers are good for 1v1 and 2v2 gamemodes because there's more predictability and because the pace of the game is slower and more strategic.

You could still have one in 4v4, but it wouldn't be half as predictable as in the other playercounts. At that point, the concession of the item to the opposing team + not being able to reliably challenge the next item, has a snowballing effect. The major underlying issue is that power weapons in Halo have different "relative lethality" than items in Quake. Halo's more "Either bait this item or pick it up first and blow the enemy up with it" and less "Suffocate the enemy by not letting him get to a single health/armor pickup whilst chipping away at his stack". 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

The CE version has built-in anti-camping measures. Namely, everything minus camo spawning on the bottom. 

Ok but what happens when we no longer have such measures? And in 4v4 CE the power up doesn’t do much when a guy can put 2 sniper shots and boom OS is gone. It’s not a complete solution. 

25 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Ok but what happens when we no longer have such measures? And in 4v4 CE the power up doesn’t do much when a guy can put 2 sniper shots and boom OS is gone. It’s not a complete solution. 

I mean, you have a pistol. If you don't have those measures, then you get the immensely enjoyable experience that is Penance Slayer. 

But yeah, pushing to green is hard if a competent team gets there. 

28 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

I mean, you have a pistol. If you don't have those measures, then you get the immensely enjoyable experience that is Penance Slayer. 

But yeah, pushing to green is hard if a competent team gets there. 

And that’s the problem. CE is the best example of terrible assymetrical maps that only work on doubles and because power ups have a bigger impact against two players than 4. Only ones I might consider ok are cold storage/chill out. Rats nest. These are maps where your positioning usually can be challenged easily. Lockout and guardian are terrible maps from a slayer POV because of their power positions. They’re too powerful and this is the main problem everyone who hates assym maps has. You need to make it so there’s never a moment I can’t shoot you in the back. 

The correct answer here is probably to purpose build the decisions like you would anything else. There's probably cool scenarios for several dynamic pickups, and others where you'd want them static. This can fluctuate based on player count, map, game mode.  Obviously this isn't as streamlined as most devs would like to be and can take a little more learning but. If you want the best possible experience you can have, you've gotta tune everything for everything. I like dynamic and static. Usually dynamic is cool for 2s / 1s, static for 4s. But it doesn't have to be. Powerups in h5 were dynamic but I enjoyed in 2v2 the opening rush on Empire because camo was on one side of the map and OS the other, so you got to do a bit of choosing there. That was fun the first several spawn cycles because they usually respawned very close to each other in time as if they were static. Lead to cool choices.

I think we should start with making the powerups in Halo not one dimensional and broken as hell though. There's nothing fun about getting an extra shield, or fighting against it. Just like picking up a constantly broken power weapon is stupid as well. Ideally powerups would give you the opportunity to be skillful in a new way without just handing it to you. 

• Like (+1) 2

Do you guys think infinite should get rid of red vs blue? One of the coolest and worse things about halo is it’s color customization

2 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Do you guys think infinite should get rid of red vs blue?

And replace it with what?

2 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

One of the coolest and worse things about halo is it’s color customization

Explain.  

15 minutes ago, Boyo said:

And replace it with what?

Team colours based on the organisations main colour (for esports).

For matchmaking no. It should remain Red vs Blue.

5 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Would kinda suck to have to play a purple team on Midship.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Simms (+1) 1

Sorry I’ll explain now.

The colorization you can do to your spartan is unique but feels pointless 8/10 since there’s only a few  modes anyone will ever see such things and that’s ffa and infection and firefight. There are other ways to let people know who’s on your team. 
 It also helps see what armor someone has on than in red vs blue 

1 hour ago, Shekkles said:

For matchmaking no. It should remain Red vs Blue.

Patches or unique armor pieces might be fun too. And if they could make skins for all weapons but also apply those skins to on map weapons this time around lol.

3 hours ago, Boyo said:

Would kinda suck to have to play a purple team on Midship.  

ahahhahaha

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Sorry I’ll explain now.

The colorization you can do to your spartan is unique but feels pointless 8/10 since there’s only a few  modes anyone will ever see such things and that’s ffa and infection and firefight. There are other ways to let people know who’s on your team. 
 It also helps see what armor someone has on than in red vs blue 

Sounds great in theory. Until you have a team with a blue, red, green and yellow spartan paired together on one team. Then what do you do

3 hours ago, JordanB said:

Sounds great in theory. Until you have a team with a blue, red, green and yellow spartan paired together on one team. Then what do you do

Ok let me ask this have you played overwatch? You can easily tell who’s the enemy tracer. And this is adding the fact both tracers are using the default skin. You simply have a red icon or something that lets you know enemy. Other games do it just fine why not halo? Heck’s even smash bro’s ultimate now let’s you use individual textures when teaming and hovers your teammates in red, green, and blue auras of sort to distinguish who’s on your team. 

On 10/11/2020 at 8:17 AM, Hemlax said:

I hope for eSports roadmap + launch invitational. They've got to have stoned this down + it will be part of the heavy marketing that I believe it's coming pretty soon if the spring release is to be believed. They will still want to ride that new generation wave.

iirc @Clap said they have a 12 month roadmap for infinite. i would imagine his involvement and possible a lot of 343 cash is bringing these orgs back

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Craneteam said:

iirc @Clap said they have a 12 month roadmap for infinite. i would imagine his involvement and possible a lot of 343 cash is bringing these orgs back

Yeah with @Clap on board from start, this really gives me hope for something good. Even if the game is not that good, you can expect his team will put up a show.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

Ok let me ask this have you played overwatch? You can easily tell who’s the enemy tracer. And this is adding the fact both tracers are using the default skin. You simply have a red icon or something that lets you know enemy. Other games do it just fine why not halo? Heck’s even smash bro’s ultimate now let’s you use individual textures when teaming and hovers your teammates in red, green, and blue auras of sort to distinguish who’s on your team. 

I get what you're saying and what you're going for, but it just seems unnecessary—no one is really paying close attention to your customization mid-game. I think emphasizing it as an avatar in the pre-game/post-game lobby is better.

Edit: I'll add that the whole "Red vs. Blue" thing is iconic to Halo. It would be a bit out of character to switch that up.

• Like (+1) 2

I really don’t understand h5 aiming. I for the death of me can’t find anything consistent or smooth. 

31 minutes ago, ShmaltzyLatkes said:

I get what you're saying and what you're going for, but it just seems unnecessary—no one is really paying close attention to your customization mid-game. I think emphasizing it as an avatar in the pre-game/post-game lobby is better.

Edit: I'll add that the whole "Red vs. Blue" thing is iconic to Halo. It would be a bit out of character to switch that up.

Yeah you’re right it’s more noticeable in games with character skins