CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

I still like Reach’s aesthetic, Halo 3 is great and ages well, but Reach just had a bigger impact on me. 

9 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I still like Reach’s aesthetic, Halo 3 is great and ages well, but Reach just had a bigger impact on me. 

I see a red door and I want it painted 

gray

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Nokt said:

What do you mean by asethic 

I liked Reach's modeling and extra details baked into textures but the post processing was attrocious. THe game had like.... film grain or something. Idk how to describe it. Always saw it best on Zealot match starting screen. That coupled with the bad lighting of the engine.

Nothing really reacts to the lighting in reach. my guess was they went with bigger levels and more polycount instead of keeping the h3 lighting system. Because DAMN h3 lighting was sick the way it hit and bounced off spartans armor or visor, but it does NO such thing in Reach.

• Like (+1) 3

48 minutes ago, znot said:

I liked Reach's modeling and extra details baked into textures but the post processing was attrocious. THe game had like.... film grain or something. Idk how to describe it. Always saw it best on Zealot match starting screen. That coupled with the bad lighting of the engine.

Nothing really reacts to the lighting in reach. my guess was they went with bigger levels and more polycount instead of keeping the h3 lighting system. Because DAMN h3 lighting was sick the way it hit and bounced off spartans armor or visor, but it does NO such thing in Reach.

Yeah there was definitely an over abundance of film grain. But yes the models and textures are mostly what I’m talking about. 

8 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Yeah there was definitely an over abundance of film grain. But yes the models and textures are mostly what I’m talking about. 

did 343 ever remove it or was that just the motion blurr. I can't remember if anyone brought up the film grain or not.  

Reach had a grainy filter and motion blur so that it would work on consoles. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Reach had a grainy filter and motion blur so that it would work on consoles. 

grainy filter doesn't have anything to do with performance i'd say. It's just an artistic choice. motion blur on the other hand does make low fps appear smoother so that does make sense. not film grain. maybe i'm wrong?

37 minutes ago, znot said:

grainy filter doesn't have anything to do with performance i'd say. It's just an artistic choice. motion blur on the other hand does make low fps appear smoother so that does make sense. not film grain. maybe i'm wrong?

You're right.  Both of Film Grain and Motion blur are screen effects that actually cost extra computations every frame, they're more expensive to have.  Film grain was definitely an artistic choice, they probably felt it matched the war-torn story / vibe of Reach well.  Motion Blur is usually there to blend low-frame-rates better so I understand the decision because Reach ran like ass on 360.

Quote from Bungie regarding Halo 3's lighting : "The reason we chose this slightly unorthodox resolution and this very complex use of two buffers is simple enough to see - lighting. We wanted to preserve as much dynamic range as possible - so we use one for the high dynamic range and one for the low dynamic range values. Both are combined to create the finished on screen image.""

30 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

You're right.  Both of Film Grain and Motion blur are screen effects that actually cost extra computations every frame, they're more expensive to have.  Film grain was definitely an artistic choice, they probably felt it matched the war-torn story / vibe of Reach well.  Motion Blur is usually there to blend low-frame-rates better so I understand the decision because Reach ran like ass on 360.

Quote from Bungie regarding Halo 3's lighting : "The reason we chose this slightly unorthodox resolution and this very complex use of two buffers is simple enough to see - lighting. We wanted to preserve as much dynamic range as possible - so we use one for the high dynamic range and one for the low dynamic range values. Both are combined to create the finished on screen image.""

it's also funny they went with the higher poly assets and more detailed textures when the resolution couldn't support it. WE ended up getting the worst aliasing I've ever seen in any halo game.

Which brings up a great argument for H3's artstyle. Not overly complex means less jaggies on the screen.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, znot said:

it's also funny they went with the higher poly assets and more detailed textures when the resolution couldn't support it. WE ended up getting the worst aliasing I've ever seen in any halo game.

Which brings up a great argument for H3's artstyle. Not overly complex means less jaggies on the screen.

Polygons are free whenever Unreal 5 releases so, not really an issue at this point.

• Fire (+1) 1

Hot take but I always enjoyed H4's overall graphics the most. I found it unique but not excessively over the top like a lot of H5 was. It really, really pushed every envelope the X360 had - but because of that the compromise for that entry was some texture resolutions and boy did some of those textures look...unique. Elites were also ugly, but that was aesthetic choice. Cutscenes, though, especially in MCC, look properly worthy of being an XB1 launch title. I forget the specifics but I have some sort of memory of hearing that 343i hired a bloody NASA engineer to work on graphics system of H4, or some very prestigious person at any rate.

I've said before that I've gotten nostalgic for halo 4. Its a bad game but I do wanna revisit it. Its not like there was never time in which I enjoyed it. 

Post patch H4 isn’t even that bad. I prefer it to TU Reach, H5, and a lot of default H3. If Infinite played similar to Legendary settings from H4, I’d call that a win.

• Like (+1) 1

Bottom line for me with H4 and MCC is just that I have zero reasons to play. Its sitting right next to games that I think are simply better and none of them are relevant. Its like trying to find a game from the past that I don't really even care about just to kill time with it for no real reason

37 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Post patch H4 isn’t even that bad. I prefer it to TU Reach, H5, and a lot of default H3. If Infinite played similar to Legendary settings from H4, I’d call that a win.

I mean I personally wouldn't go this far. I wouldn't pick halo 4 over any of the bungie games. Including default reach. Yes I just said that.

Default Reach and H4 make excellent cases for being some of the worst video games I've every played, but promethean vision really gives the edge to H4. Still don't know what they were thinking.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Upvote (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Personal ordnance was extra tardyness

While the care-package-esque Personal Ordnance of H4 wasn’t the correct approach to an item delivery system, I still believe a mechanism that allows the player to birth items could work very well in Halo, especially in campaign.  

How do you inherit a hybrid-arena shooter and then decide that non-resetting killstreaks and a legal wallhack button are what the game needs? 

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, _Synapse said:

How do you inherit a hybrid-arena shooter and then decide that non-resetting killstreaks and a legal wallhack button are what the game needs? 

See this was the biggest gripe for me about the kill streaks the fact they don’t reset. 

Button Combos: Yay or Nay? 

Personally, yes. Button combos are one among  several mechanics that allow Halo to distinguish itself from conventional AFPS. Given Halo's emphasis on CQ and melee combat, button combos seamlessly add depth to the gameplay. 

-

The standard melee is delivered at the end of a 0.2 second animation, with a 0.5 second cooldown in between each hit. A DMR bullet does 33.34% shield damage, and a non-momentum melee does 70% shield damage. 

From full health and shields, Spartans take 3 melees to kill. 

From full health and shields, Spartans take 2 momentum melees to kill (IE: melees delivered while jumping or moving).  

Spartans can melee twice in quick succession by cancelling the cooldown animation with the reload button. To cancel the animation, the reload button must be pressed within 0.2 seconds of the melee being delivered. This allows players to melee upto 5 times per second, with perfect timing (As opposed to twice per second). This button combo is a spiritual BXB/BLB, but does not require the use of a grenade or spare ammo to perform. 

Spartans can melee and then proceed to instantly fire a shot with their equipped weapon by cancelling the cooldown animation with the reload button. To cancel the animation, the reload button must be pressed within 0.15 seconds of the melee being delivered. This allows players to instakill an opponent if they land the following headshot. This button combo is a spiritual BXR/RRBX, but does not require spare ammo to perform. 

When firing single-shot weapons, Spartans can cancel the cooldown between every shot fired to, in effect, fire an indefinite amount of shots in near-automatic RoF. This is accomplished by cancelling the firing cooldown with the reload button, and it can only be cancelled by pressing the reload button within 0.1 seconds of each shot being fired. This allows players to kill even faster than the 0.6 second minimum TTK on the utility weapon, provided they can accurately fire while performing the combo within a 0.1 second window (a task that's significantly harder than it seems). 

I designed most of these with the H2 precedent in mind, so any suggestions or changes? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 10/9/2020 at 6:23 PM, Hard Way said:

I can't stand the way sprint works in H4, I recently reinstalled it and that is one aspect of the game that nearly ruins the entire thing for me. I just hope Infinite allows you to shoot out of sprint as shown in the demo. I've been thinking some recently about if it is possible to have a good competitive Halo game that still "feels like Halo" with sprint as a core ability. I think it is, depending on how it is implemented. 

29 minutes ago, NAK said:

I can't stand the way sprint works in H4, I recently reinstalled it and that is one aspect of the game that nearly ruins the entire thing for me. I just hope Infinite allows you to shoot out of sprint as shown in the demo. I've been thinking some recently about if it is possible to have a good competitive Halo game that still "feels like Halo" with sprint as a core ability. I think it is, depending on how it is implemented. 

I’m not convinced that Sprint can truly “work” without a proper Aim Down Sights system.  In the middle you have Hipfire.  ADS buffs accuracy.  Sprint buffs speed.  Hipfire is the buffer in between these two enhanced modes, making them mutually exclusive.  The skill is in knowing when to switch between these modes.  

It’s just a video of apparently 343 promising something Hopefully it’s a lot 

a lot to me would be multiplayer gameplay and beta reveal or date.

realisticly probably a few game pictures with words from sketch postums or UNySHEK how great 343 is doing.