CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

On 9/30/2020 at 1:32 AM, Sitri said:

halo_legends_prototype-1200x675.jpg&f=1&

?

This is literally mech, i had in mind something smaller, something that won't let you fight on ground.

Imagine a huge backpack with rockets that will quickly shoot you up by press of a button and then descend down slowly. Gives you the advantage to see the battlefield from above, you aim and shoot, possibly destroy a vehicle and hope you won't get team shot or one shot by sniper, because the controll is very limited. Descend, leave the backpack behind and move away since you gave up your position and the thing slows you down like hell on ground and needs quite a while to reload/refuel to be able to go up again. You got the idea I think. Kinda hit and run, hi risk/reward device. Vehicle counter literally.

Not confident this would work though haha. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hemlax said:

This is literally mech, i had in mind something smaller, something that won't let you fight on ground.

Imagine a huge backpack with rockets that will quickly shoot you up by press of a button and then descend down slowly. Gives you the advantage to see the battlefield from above, you aim and shoot, possibly destroy a vehicle and hope you won't get one shot by sniper, because the controll is very limited. Descend, leave the backpack behind and move away since you gave up your position and the thing slows you down like hell on ground and needs quite a while to reload/refuel to be able to go up again. You got the idea I think. Kinda hit and run, hi risk/reward device. Vehicle counter literally.

Not sure if this is just because I read too many of Boyo's ideas and my brain is all soft now, but this kinda sounds sick. I'd maybe make it a fixed thing though, kind of like a fixed man cannon that doubles as a defensive thing. But it being a thing you can maneuver with and set up flanks with is pretty cool too.

38 minutes ago, Hemlax said:

Imagine a huge backpack with rockets that will quickly shoot you up by press of a button and then descend down slowly. Gives you the advantage to see the battlefield from above, you aim and shoot, possibly destroy a vehicle and hope you won't get team shot or one shot by sniper, because the controll is very limited. Descend, leave the backpack behind and move away since you gave up your position and the thing slows you down like hell on ground and needs quite a while to reload/refuel to be able to go up again. You got the idea I think. Kinda hit and run, hi risk/reward device. Vehicle counter literally.

22 minutes ago, LoftiestTea33 said:

Not sure if this is just because I read too many of Boyo's ideas and my brain is all soft now, but this kinda sounds sick. I'd maybe make it a fixed thing though, kind of like a fixed man cannon that doubles as a defensive thing. But it being a thing you can maneuver with and set up flanks with is pretty cool too.

The way I have the sandbox set up, this would be a combination of three different things:

Aerial Ability - Glider 

Equipment - Missile Pod 

Map element - Man Cannon 

The Man Cannon shoots you into the air.  The Glider slows your descent.  The Missile Pod fires projectiles while airborne (or on the ground).  The Glider automatically disables once you hit the ground (or can be manually disabled while airborne).  

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hemlax said:

so like the missle pod in Halo 3 except you are the missle...

2 hours ago, znot said:

so like the missle pod in Halo 3 except you are the missle...

Kinda. Missile pod with man cannon on Valhalla but more controlled.

It could have, let's say, two small thrusts in the air you can use to any side, to give you little maneuverability and chance to avoid incoming fire.

4 hours ago, Boyo said:

The way I have the sandbox set up, this would be a combination of three different things:

Aerial Ability - Glider 

Equipment - Missile Pod 

Map element - Man Cannon 

The Man Cannon shoots you into the air.  The Glider slows your descent.  The Missile Pod fires projectiles while airborne (or on the ground).  The Glider automatically disables once you hit the ground (or can be manually disabled while airborne).  

On point. Except not sure it should be able to fire on ground. Or maybe it wouldn't lock on ground.

What would you nerds say to Autos that behave like CSGO. shots to the head do more damage, except the AR's recoil has a pattern and bloom and looks like this shit

ac05a24697fdadd43224c6fade3817cd.gif

Then the bloom would require them to pump shot at a distance like the DMR previously had to, and when upclose spamming it would still require skill to control the recoil pattern and where the shots are landing. More headshots=faster death, but with a hard to control recoil it becomes less common. 

or has this already been beat to death?

7 hours ago, Hemlax said:

Did a sketch of the thing. Man I am such a nerd.

EsOYhH3.jpg

Nice sketch man.  Functionally, it seems almost like a Hornet without passenger seats.  Here’s a real life version:

exoskeleton-flying-vehicle-vtol-1.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, znot said:

Autos that behave like CSGO. shots to the head do more damage, except the AR's recoil has a pattern and bloom and looks like this shit

I wouldn’t have a problem with a headshot bonus on a perfectly accurate projectile auto, like a ZB Plasma Rifle.  I wouldn’t have a problem with a recoil pattern on a weapon like the Spiker.  I wouldn’t start combining bloom and recoil though.  

31 minutes ago, znot said:

Then the bloom would require them to pump shot at a distance like the DMR previously had to

I think the detached human turret could function like a scopeless, automatic, 4 bodyshot kill DMR with a relatively deep magazine.  ADSing would remove bloom but obstruct the user’s vision with muzzle flash and ejecting shells.  

33 minutes ago, znot said:

What would you nerds say to Autos that behave like CSGO. shots to the head do more damage, except the AR's recoil has a pattern and bloom and looks like this shit

Then the bloom would require them to pump shot at a distance like the DMR previously had to, and when upclose spamming it would still require skill to control the recoil pattern and where the shots are landing. More headshots=faster death, but with a hard to control recoil it becomes less common. 

I would say if we're playing on PC yeah that would work. On console though with aim assist people just don't aim that precisely so even if it was predictable I'm afraid it would effectively be random anyways. People's thumbs just don't do that

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, znot said:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FittingNearCottontail-mobile.mp4

Yes (in theory) to bonus headshot damage and predictable recoil on the AR. 

I don't want the TTK to go any lower than 1.15 seconds. Let the regular TTK be between that and 1.4-1.5 seconds. 

43 minutes ago, Boyo said:

I wouldn’t have a problem with a headshot bonus on a perfectly accurate projectile auto, like a ZB Plasma Rifle.  I wouldn’t have a problem with a recoil pattern on a weapon like the Spiker.  I wouldn’t start combining bloom and recoil though.  

I think the detached human turret could function like a scopeless, automatic, 4 bodyshot kill DMR with a relatively deep magazine.  ADSing would remove bloom but obstruct the user’s vision with muzzle flash and ejecting shells.  

I may have mispoke. I mean bloom in the sense that there's a short period where the bullets will go pretty striaght until the recoil kicks in. Recoil is proabbly the better word. In CS its the same you probably have 3-4 shots before you gotta start dragging. 

2 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

I would say if we're playing on PC yeah that would work. On console though with aim assist people just don't aim that precisely so even if it was predictable I'm afraid it would effectively be random anyways. People's thumbs just don't do that

I dont think it would be that bad, people can already lead shots and have an idea where their shot needs to be. and that's OFF the player, this recoil would be on the player still. Like cs, you start at the head and go down to their legs-ish, auto aim would still play a roll and help the player

4 hours ago, znot said:

What would you nerds say to Autos that behave like CSGO.

Keep it simple. Have the AR be given a tight, fixed cone of spread, and let it open fire without bloom whatsoever. The SMG could have a small circle as a reticle that expands more and more the longer you fire. The Plasma Rifle/Repeater should be a pinpoint accurate projectile firing automatic. The Spiker would be similar to the Repeater, except it fires significantly slower and has an easily readable upward recoil.

Simple.

• Upvote (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Keep it simple. Have the AR be given a tight, fixed cone of spread, and let it open fire without bloom whatsoever. The SMG could have a small circle as a reticle that expands more and more the longer you fire. The Plasma Rifle/Repeater should be a pinpoint accurate projectile firing automatic. The Spiker would be similar to the Repeater, except it fires significantly slower and has an easily readable upward recoil.

Simple.

Do we really need two human automatic hand weapons?  

12 hours ago, Hemlax said:

Did a sketch of the thing. Man I am such a nerd.

EsOYhH3.jpg

I heard you like Exo-suits

• Upvote (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I heard you like Exo-suits

9 hours ago, znot said:

That kind of mechanic works in Counter Strike because every weapon is going to kill in like 2 hits max if you're aiming properly. It's going to be way too punishing if you're meant to draw patterns against someone while accounting for movement and needing to land 10-15 shots in a row.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Boyo said:

Do we really need two human automatic hand weapons?  

Technically the Covenant also have two. I would honestly appreciate a focused sandbox, but we all know that would never happen.

7 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Technically the Covenant also have two. I would honestly appreciate a focused sandbox, but we all know that would never happen.

If humans only had one automatic hand weapon, should it have a fixed spread or should it feature variable bloom?  Should burst firing increase effective range or should the weapon be relegated to a close range bullet hose?  

20 hours ago, znot said:

when upclose spamming it would still require skill to control the recoil pattern and where the shots are landing. More headshots=faster death, but with a hard to control recoil it becomes less common. 

15 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

I always thought recoil be ok for autos. Definitely would increase their skill gap 

No, controllable recoil is a garbage mechanic, it adds no depth to the game. The decision making process of recoil control goes something like "can I control it?" if yes, control it.

It increases the skillgap by letting you do worse (lower skill floor), not by raising how well you can do (skill ceiling). How many shots you can potentially hit remains the same as before, but players with untrained recoil control will have a harder time killing anyone. That's not how elegant, accessible Halo is designed. Precision aim is enough input mastery requirement, we don't need to another muscle memory test.

I haven't tried CS because it seems you spend way too much time fighting your gun (and UI) instead of enemies.

---

Headshots on somewhat accurate automatics is fine, relative positioning matters more then. They could be communicated more clearly with different hitmarkers for shield hits/unshielded hits/headshots, because so many weapons can't headshot.

3 hours ago, potetr said:

but players with untrained recoil control will have a harder time killing anyone.

I fail to see how this is a bad thing. 
it’s literally making it so you need to do more than just aim and click. 

3 hours ago, potetr said:

That's not how elegant, accessible Halo is designed. Precision aim is enough input mastery requirement, we don't need to another muscle memory test.

Ok but the point here is the topic of autos. The player base doesn’t want to always have to use precision weapons, so they want an AR that does good damage and competes good against precision weapons. But the problem is the ARS are so ridiculously easy to use them having high damage outputs is ridiculous and something needs to be done. Recoil like battlefield or something like that would work greatly to justify strong autos in halos sandbox. 

• Like (+1) 1