CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

8 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Random Battle Rifle spread makes the Sniper Rifle too powerful at range.  Tower to tower on pit, would you challenge a sniper with a battle rifle?  

Probably not but after the most recent update I'd be a lot more confident in surviving it if not actually getting the kill

1 minute ago, Aphex Twin said:

So in that video I posted, why dont the bullets spread in the exact the same manner with each shot? 

Because if it's not random, that bullet placement should be 100% consistent, right? 

As a thought exercise, let’s allow this flight of fantasy and pretend that the BR’s spread was consistent and not in fact random.  Would this change the core complaints about it?  

Just now, Boyo said:

As a thought exercise, let’s allow this flight of fantasy and pretend that the BR’s spread was consistent and not in fact random.  Would this change the core complaints about it?  

While removing H3's BR spread would be a massive improvement, the meta would still be only about teamshooting with H3's TTKs, effective ranges, and 2-3 minute power item timers. 

The H3 Battle Rifle’s lack of effective range prevents the challenging of ranged snipers, making the dynamic between the two weapons one-dimensional.  Your response?  

25 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

The question I'm asking you is more to help you realize that the BR's spread is random. I dont expect you to make any points I havent already heard - been around much longer than you have.

I'll ask again - in the video I posted, why dont the BR bullets spread in a consistent manner? 

If you're saying the spread is consistent, but all the evidence we have shows the spread is not consistent, do you accept that maybe you dont know what you're talking about? 

We can discuss the detriments of H3's general killtimes/movement/timers etc... have after we can agree on the facts (that being that the BR spread is random and there's tons of evidence, including an admission from the game's developer, which supports that. Just to be clear).

You'd have an infinitely better time arguing with IceBeast. I promise you it's not worth a page of faux debating and dancing around a definitive answer from the opposition.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Alright, I’ll take the opposing side.  Range-limiting the Battle Rifle is good for gameplay because spawning 8 players with an effective long range weapon stifles map movement.  

Please add him to your ignore list. He’s either a troll (probable), or literally too stupid and arrogant to converse with. It’s not worth anyone’s time, especially since it’s obviously not a good faith discussion on his part. Just stop.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Am I the only one hoping that we get scene where Chief loses his grappling hook and needs to crouch jump over a gorge?  

And another thing, why is the “casual” weapon always an automatic like an AR or SMG?  Imagine a human themed Flak Cannon, like a stout, stubby shotgun that could also fire impact grenades.  Seems like it could be more fun for casuals while offering more depth for competitive team-play (compared to an AR).  

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

And another thing, why is the “casual” weapon always an automatic like an AR or SMG?  Imagine a human themed Flak Cannon, like a stout, stubby shotgun that could also fire impact grenades.  Seems like it could be more fun for casuals while offering more depth for competitive team-play (compared to an AR).  

The reason it’s the AR is for balance. A shotgun type weapon would be like the h4 bolt shot and I don’t think we ever want that again 

If you can't pick up how unwanted you are from from 100 bans than imagine how awful your reality must be.

• Fire (+1) 4

I can't tell if everyone's shitting on Boyo or if someone had a whole bunch of posts deleted. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Halo shotguns have a bad habit of being ridiculously easy to use in whatever their effective range may be, so I'm not too thrilled about the idea of everyone spawning with one. I don't want it to negatively affect map flow. 

The argument from precedent is a shitty one, but I really do find it difficult to imagine a Halo shotgun that isn't incredibly strong in it's effective range. Even my own idealized version of the shotgun with higher effective range and halved projectile velocity, still treats the shotgun like a Tier 2 weapon. 

If we do bring back button combos, then which ones should we bring back and how difficult should they be to execute? 

32 minutes ago, Hully said:

I can't tell if everyone's shitting on Boyo or if someone had a whole bunch of posts deleted.

The latter

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Halo shotguns have a bad habit of being ridiculously easy to use in whatever their effective range may be, so I'm not too thrilled about the idea of everyone spawning with one. I don't want it to negatively affect map flow. 

The argument from precedent is a shitty one, but I really do find it difficult to imagine a Halo shotgun that isn't incredibly strong in it's effective range. Even my own idealized version of the shotgun with higher effective range and halved projectile velocity, still treats the shotgun like a Tier 2 weapon.

A shotgun starting weapon could work fine if it worked similarly to Quake 1's starting shotgun. In that game it's basically a pistol that fires multiple projectiles at a time. Tune its damage so it takes more than just a couple of shots to kill and you're good to go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Shotgun: Consistent, non-random spread. Several tight centered pellets, complemented buy several outer ring pellets. Centered pellets have infinite range while outer pellets dissipate past a few meters. Headshot capable at any range but ineffective at long unless the target is weakened or one-shot, otherwise requiring a beatdown or follow up shots.

Results in a shotgun no longer limited to short range if accurate with the center pellets, and no longer lacking nuance at close range, while still retaining important shotgun properties.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

Should the shotgun be treated as a tier 2 or a tier 3 weapon? 

There should never be more than 1 in play at a time.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, _Synapse said:

That’s the beauty of a relatively weak spawn shotgun that can also fire explosives.  If an enemy is corner camping, you can hit him with indirect explosive damage.  

A diamond-shaped volley of 9 projectiles, that rapidly spread from a single point to about half a Spartan height but do not continue to spread after that, could be set to have very low aim assist because the weapon’s area of effect is large enough that players don’t need too much help landing some pellets with each trigger pull.  

12 hours ago, Sitri said:

A shotgun starting weapon could work fine if it worked similarly to Quake 1's starting shotgun. In that game it's basically a pistol that fires multiple projectiles at a time. Tune its damage so it takes more than just a couple of shots to kill and you're good to go.

I was thinking 2 full blasts, 18 pellets, should kill a player.  At anything other than point blank range, this would be very difficult to achieve on a moving target, leading to at least a 4 shot kill at most ranges.  Then the explosive alt fire projectile could be a 2 direct hit kill and a 4 indirect explosion kill.  Both firemodes would have an ideal STK of 2 but a more realistic STK of 4.  

What do you imagine the TTK will be with this weapon? Casuals lose interest in the gun if the TTK exceeds ~ 1.3 seconds. 

Also, what's your description of the explosive shot? 

4 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

What do you imagine the TTK will be with this weapon? Casuals lose interest in the gun if the TTK exceeds ~ 1.3 seconds. 

Minimum:  [email protected]

Real World:  [email protected] 

7 minutes ago, _Synapse said:

what's your description of the explosive shot? 

Arcing trajectory, slow projectile speed, medium range, medium explosive splash damage radius, 2 direct hit kill, 4 splash damage kill 

Just set to ignore and move on boys.  He’ll tire himself out eventually.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

Power weapons that kill near instantly and a CE Magnum that kills in 0.6 seconds does not leave a lot of room for weapons in between.  Aside from gimmicks like homing or stunning projectiles, the only reasonable method of increasing Tier 2 weapon effectiveness is giving them access to an Alt Fire.  Allowing players to combine two unique attacks allows for increased effectiveness without making the weapon instakill or giving it cheese mechanics.