CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

Making Halo's Beam Rifle / Focus Rifle behave like the shock rifle would be awesome. 

The Plasma Pistol can fire two distinct projectiles by tapping/holding RT and the Light Rifle can toggle between its two distinct projectiles by scoping but Halo is going to need an overhaul at the button layout level if it wants to support true alt-fire.  

The first step in introducing a true alt-fire weapon is mapping Scope to LT.  On weapons without scopes, LT becomes Alt-Fire.  

Once these changes to Halo’s framework have been made, you can decide if you’d like to modify an existing weapon to bring it in line with the Shock Rifle’s functionality or simply introduce a new weapon.  

1 hour ago, _Synapse said:

The Stinger's alt-fire being able to create hazards combined with the GPMA implementation of the Needler would be pretty sick, too. 

Not much of a hazard if you have to run into a projectile stuck in a wall to get damaged by it.  

On 9/20/2020 at 8:43 AM, Hard Way said:

Dynamic in 1v1 would probably be better, since it affords the opportunity for the better player to earn everything if he plays correctly.

It's really hard to have a rational discussion around powerup timers (or anything really) without addressing the elephant in the room. If we don't have a good, skill-based utility weapon with responsive base movement, all discussions about powerups are moot. The core issues with Halo bleed into everything else, and until we fix the core issues, we're just spinning our wheels. 

With the current core Halo gameplay, I would disagree with you, because the powerups are too large of an advantage. With a better core, sure, dynamics in 1v1 would probably be better. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, BigShow36 said:

It's really hard to have a rational discussion around powerup timers (or anything really) without addressing the elephant in the room. If we don't have a good, skill-based utility weapon with responsive base movement, all discussions about powerups are moot. The core issues with Halo bleed into everything else, and until we fix the core issues, we're just spinning our wheels. 

With the current core Halo gameplay, I would disagree with you, because the powerups are too large of an advantage. With a better core, sure, dynamics in 1v1 would probably be better. 

I had Chill Out in mind when I said that. As for other Halo’s 1v1’s, I’ve always felt a single layer OS every 60sec would work fine. Otherwise I agree; the weaker utility would make a regular OS too overbearing.

doc_sand_golem_by_tgood5_dchrl7r-fullvie

The Sandman is one of three things:  a shadow on the ground, a hole in the ground, or a creature protruding from the ground.  The default form, the shadow, is the only mobile form; the pit and the golem remain stationary.  

The bumpers shift the player model up to the golem or down to the pit.  RB raises the player model up and LB lowers it down (pit-shadow-golem).  The shadow can slide beneath an enemy’s feet then turn into the pit to swallow him.  

While in golem form, the triggers perform two unique attacks.  RT spits a stream of sand forward and LT sends a dust devil forward, tossing what it touches.  The wide AoE melee attack, R3, claps the golem’s two dune-like arms together, damaging anything caught between.  

The topic of ODST reminds me:

Brainstorm the absolute best PvPvE mode that you can. 

I think that a modified-Strongholds X Firefight crossover could be really fun to play. Meant for 10v10 / 12v12 playercounts, the opposing teams fight for control over 8 hills that are carefully laid out around the map. Taking control of these hills for a certain period of time earns a steady flow of points, for as long as they remain uncontested. 

On beginning the match, all hills are covered in AI enemies. The type, rank, and weaponry allotted to the AI enemies, depends on the relative positioning and strategic importance of the hill. Once eliminated, they will proceed to infinitely respawn on a static timer of 2:00, in linearly increasing numbers and difficulty until the game ends. 

Power weapons, powerups and pseudo-power weapons spawn on 1:00 - 1:45 static timers. These are not only key to eliminating opponents and exercising map control, but also to dissecting the decreasingly manageable waves of AI enemies. 

Idiotic mode or fun time-waster? Do keep in mind that we'd heavily refine AI behavior and make them a legitimately threatening presence, to avoid making the mistake that H5WZ did.  

@_Synapse Why would a player go out of his way to kill AI instead of just avoiding them?  Shouldn’t there be a reward, perhaps earning currency that can be spent on advantages?  

3 hours ago, Boyo said:

@_Synapse Why would a player go out of his way to kill AI instead of just avoiding them?  Shouldn’t there be a reward, perhaps earning currency that can be spent on advantages?  

I envisioned the AI as being hyper-aggressive units who would forcibly try to take hills, and to kill any non-AI present in proximity. 

I was leaning towards the notion of wave-defense survival, where players need to maintain control of hills against enemy pushes as well as periodic AI hordes. The mechanic of aggressive AI who will try to peel off any player presence from a controlled hill leads to an infinitude of unique interactions when opposing teams pace their aggression around these periodic AI respawns. 

For example, an enemy team can flank almost effortlessly against a distracted defending team. They can compound the AI wave and attempt to crush the defending team with pure firepower and suppression. Or, they can even use the AI's own assets for themselves. For example: hijacking a newly spawned enemy wraith to bombard the hill with. 

Players would basically have to kill AI if said players want any control over hills. Every 2:00, fresh AI units will dropped at each hill, and will either defend it or attempt to take it by force. 

In the way of incentivizing players to kill AI, I hadn't thought of much. AI bosses that drop power items or unlock other advantages are an idea that's floating around, but I don't want engaging the AI to be a voluntary thing in this mode. I'd keep the AI bosses for a separate PvPvE gamemode (Halo really criminally underuses these for the gameplay variety that they can provide). 

@_Synapse Without a very purpose built map, I am having trouble picturing three teams (humans, humans, AI) duking it out without having one team trapped between the other two.  The humans in front pin you down while the AI fuck you from behind.  

4 hours ago, Boyo said:

@_Synapse Without a very purpose built map, I am having trouble picturing three teams (humans, humans, AI) duking it out without having one team trapped between the other two.  The humans in front pin you down while the AI fuck you from behind.  

The power weapon spawn system is ideally in place to circumvent this issue, but yes. Though, every casual and non-casual gamemode will turn into a slog without purpose-built maps. 

A power up that automatically opens locked doors for the user is best packaged as a Flood themed power up.  Flood Doors are easy to spot and it makes sense that they would only open for a fellow flood.  

Maps that are not flood themed could explain mechanical doors opening by a Gravemind being tapped into the ship’s electronics or something to that effect.  If you see a closed door with a flood tentacle wrapped around the control panel, you know it’ll open for the power up.  

While a locked door could simply be a shortcut between areas, it could also be the cell door to a cage full of flood spores that follow and support you once freed.  Opening the cage is an objective that only the power up user can complete.  Doing so extends the duration of his power up.  

The player’s left arm mutates into a flood tentacle that provides an extended melee range.  Killing a player with a melee attack or whipping a corpse that hasn’t despawned yet causes it to mutate into a friendly flood AI.  

The Flood power up is about building your own personal army.  This compliments the nature of traveling through secret passageways.  The only thing better than popping out of a wall behind your enemy is doing so with a posse of killer zombies at your back.  

Like a Jetpack giving a sniper access to a sniper’s nest, where the Jetpack gets him there so his sniper can do work, the Flood power up’s ability to open locked doors gets you there so your flood army can do work.   

To think if the Bethesda acquisition were made a few years earlier we could have had this game on running on ID Tech. 

Halo really has been a comedy of errors and misfortune the last 6-8 years. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/24/2020 at 5:41 PM, Boyo said:

A power up that automatically opens locked doors for the user is best packaged as a Flood themed power up.  Flood Doors are easy to spot and it makes sense that they would only open for a fellow flood.  

Maps that are not flood themed could explain mechanical doors opening by a Gravemind being tapped into the ship’s electronics or something to that effect.  If you see a closed door with a flood tentacle wrapped around the control panel, you know it’ll open for the power up.  

While a locked door could simply be a shortcut between areas, it could also be the cell door to a cage full of flood spores that follow and support you once freed.  Opening the cage is an objective that only the power up user can complete.  Doing so extends the duration of his power up.  

The player’s left arm mutates into a flood tentacle that provides an extended melee range.  Killing a player with a melee attack or whipping a corpse that hasn’t despawned yet causes it to mutate into a friendly flood AI.  

The Flood power up is about building your own personal army.  This compliments the nature of traveling through secret passageways.  The only thing better than popping out of a wall behind your enemy is doing so with a posse of killer zombies at your back.  

Like a Jetpack giving a sniper access to a sniper’s nest, where the Jetpack gets him there so his sniper can do work, the Flood power up’s ability to open locked doors gets you there so your flood army can do work.   

Do you use any drugs I’m curious 

• Hooked 1

21 hours ago, Boyo said:

Are you in love with every map you’ve ever made?  

Yeah, actually. I don't publish a map unless I think it's up to my standards. 

That question wasn't hostile btw, was actually curious on your thoughts on what youre looking for when you post this stuff. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

curious on your thoughts on what youre looking for when you post this stuff. 

Ideally?  Someone would poke holes in the idea or give their own spin on it.  Point out a reason it wouldn’t work or a ramification it might have.  We could talk about the relationship between various aspects of the game and how these new elements affect them.  Discuss how to walk the line between attracting a mainstream audience and providing a solid competitive experience.    Share what we believe the Halo experience truly is and how it could be better.  

• Like (+1) 6

I don't actually believe you have to walk a line between mainstream audiences and competitive experiences. I think the bottom line is if you want your game to be popular and have an esports scene it just has to flat out be fun and competitive out of the box. If you can't do that you'll never achieve the goals you set for yourself and you'll certainly never meet those goals trying for a compromise. Mostly because if you think it is a compromise it proves that you don't understand what you're doing as a developer. The game just has to be excellent all the way through and that's why there are only a few hugely popular and competitive games at any given time. Its really hard to do because its not like you're mixing up some kind of formula to hit both audiences in the lab you just have to create something amazing. Fun and fair is the only way but too many developers think that fun means wacky and stupid and that fair means bland

• Like (+1) 2

Random spread on the precision spawn weapon is good because:

-it limits the utility weapon’s effective range, preventing the BR from challenging a ranged Sniper (as it should be) 

-it increases the effectiveness of firing within red reticle range, by way of bullet magnetism overriding random spread within the weapon’s intended range (pick up a sniper if you want to shoot players far away) 

-it promotes aiming center mass, which punishes players who go for headshots (cockshots FTW)

-it increases the effectiveness of head glitching because headshots are punished on a weapon with random spread (my cover should not be negated just because you can see a tiny sliver of my head that I am firing bullets out of) 

In conclusion, random spread is good...so H3 scrubs like you can feel like they are finally good at something.  Whiff more snipes on Construct kid.  

• Like (+1) 3

Random Battle Rifle spread makes the Sniper Rifle too powerful at range.  Tower to tower on pit, would you challenge a sniper with a battle rifle?