CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

3 hours ago, Sitri said:

Just learn how to add a minute to the current time, bro.

So I should just...

... adapt?

Also you're over-simplifying it. Dynamic timers encourage snowballing. Let's say one team gets rockets, they won the fight. They pick it up. Well done, you deserve rockets.

Then the next rocket spawns, but one team doesn't see what time they're picked up. The team that did now has the advantage and theoretically can keep it for the rest of the game unless the other team expends resources to watch spawns. I feel this is a waste of resources that could be going into far more interesting types of play such as actually playing the game.

I am not talking super-high level here. I'm talking solo queueing.

Static timers promote faster gameplay and map movement as all players know exactly what is happening and when (specifically about powerups) and have more room to strategise. 

If you must have dynamic timers, then the spawn time should be given to the players.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

So I should just...

... adapt?

Also you're over-simplifying it. Dynamic timers encourage snowballing. Let's say one team gets rockets, they won the fight. They pick it up. Well done, you deserve rockets.

Then the next rocket spawns, but one team doesn't see what time they're picked up. The team that did now has the advantage and theoretically can keep it for the rest of the game unless the other team expends resources to watch spawns. I feel this is a waste of resources that could be going into far more interesting types of play such as actually playing the game.

I am not talking super-high level here. I'm talking solo queueing.

Static timers promote faster gameplay and map movement as all players know exactly what is happening and when (specifically about powerups) and have more room to strategise. 

If you must have dynamic timers, then the spawn time should be given to the players.

Dynamic timers do cause snowballing to some extent, but I think that's okay in this scenario because powerups have a hard limit on their duration as well as being burned if the user dies. I don't advocate for dynamic timers on power weapons, because rockets and snipers are going to be on the field for much longer and impact the game for a greater amount of time. Unless you're giving the opposing team enough map control to delay the spawn timer by 10+ seconds, you should be able to get a general idea of when an item is going to come up next- even by noticing how the enemy rotates should clue you in on it. And if we're discussing this in the context of Halo 3 or Reach, powerups are loud when they spawn in.

Plus, it's a bit silly for someone to be able to potentially chain camos. There should be some amount of downtime between powerups.

I suppose it's a fair point for solo queue, but it's not always optimal to balance around randoms who may or may not even have mics.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sitri said:

I don't advocate for dynamic timers on power weapons, because rockets and snipers are going to be on the field for much longer and impact the game for a greater amount of time. 

Ah

5 hours ago, Sitri said:

I suppose it's a fair point for solo queue, but it's not always optimal to balance around randoms who may or may not even have mics.

I don't have stats but surely they make up the largest population

22 hours ago, Sitri said:

There's nothing wrong with dynamic powerup timers.

I understand the argument for them. There is technically skill in keeping track of them, though to me it's outweighed by needing to actually win a battle for an item everyone is setting up for (not to mention coaches negate this skill in tournaments).

I think the real argument in their favor is that matches will play out differently from game to game, cycle to cycle. However, you lose the "overlap" dynamic that you get with static timers, where a powerup becomes more powerful the later it's grabbed in the cycle because you'll get to ride it into the next cycle.  There's merit to both, but I prefer static because I like the idea of multiple powerups being in play at once.

There's also something to be said for adapting to the way the other team is playing each cycle. Damnation and Chill Out both demonstrate how you need to show the opposing team different looks later in games, otherwise they'll adapt and counter your setups. You lose that with dynamic spawns, because the cadence of spawns is going to be different every cycle (unless there's only one powerup, which is ass anyways).

• Like (+1) 7
  • Fire (+1) 1

That's true, dynamic respawn timerscan create potentially-infinite unique ways that each map plays.

My issue with it is that it compounds the already snowbally nature of AFPS -  The people who lose control of a powerup are already at the disadvantage of having to contest a team with a powerup, on top of probably being dead following the initial challenge for said powerup. If you don't get a time window with an error margin of <8 seconds, that's basically another compounding disadvantage whose exploitability is magnified depending on how good your opponents are. 

The information disadvantage you're put at;  Not knowing what weapons your opponents have, where they are, where they're going to move, or any particular strat that they have -  is just magnified significantly when you don't know how you're going to play around the next powerup spawn. 

I like this idea for certain modes, like Head to Head. There, we can emphasize more stealthy, tense, and passive styles of play. In 4v4, I think we all agree that Halo should flow fast and smoothly. 

• Like (+1) 1

This entire forum knows 343 ain't gonna give a rats arse about no timer shit, we all want static timers, I doubt those fuckers at 343 know what they are, our only hope is for them to do it by accident

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Botheredhat360 said:

This entire forum knows 343 ain't gonna give a rats arse about no timer shit, we all want static timers, I doubt those fuckers at 343 know what they are, our only hope is for them to do it by accident

After running the calculations I predict 343 will inadvertently chance upon a good Halo game when Halo 1,367 releases in about 7,000 years.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1
  • Hooked 1

11 minutes ago, Botheredhat360 said:

They had static timers for power weapons in H5 iirc, with dynamic powerups. 

The biggest problem is that 343i still hasn't abandoned the Bungie habit of giving power items 2 hour long respawn timers

• Like (+1) 2

I greatly prefer static spawns for the dynamic it creates when you stagger spawn times.  Sometimes only one PU/PW is up, sometimes 2 occasionally 3.  You have to prioritize your resources appropriately.  It also gives you tools to cater the games pacing in specific ways by choosing not just what spawns on the map, but when those items spawn in relation to one another.  With dynamic spawns, it feels like RNG after the first items are picked up.  Static spawns also open up the possibility of having alternate items spawn at the same spot at regular intervals.  Trying this with dynamic spawns would be a cluster.

Halo could also use some delayed item spawns.  How that's not a regular thing already I have no idea.

• Like (+1) 1

If power weapon kills weren’t so free, the timers wouldn’t matter. It’s like debates about how many spare bullets the sniper should spawn with. That’s not the core issue.

Dynamic spawns could work if they still have the little 30 sec reminder I feel like. So it's making sure there's not too many power weapons in play(which feels weird to me). But also there's not a huge information difference so not too snowbally. I don't like how the weapon indicator stays around though. I'd like it to disappear a second before the timer ends so you don't necessarily know when the weapon gets picked up.

But we could also just do static lol

Dynamic in 1v1 would probably be better, since it affords the opportunity for the better player to earn everything if he plays correctly.

• Like (+1) 1

Looking back at Halo 5 eSports scene, and you can blame the game, 343 or anyone all you want, it brought so many entertaining stories. Can't really compare it to Halo 2/3 era, because I started to watch with Reach, but nevertheless. So many stories. Can't wait for the new era to kick off even after all the Infinite reveal fiasco.

9 hours ago, Hemlax said:

Looking back at Halo 5 eSports scene, and you can blame the game, 343 or anyone all you want, it brought so many entertaining stories. Can't really compare it to Halo 2/3 era, because I started to watch with Reach, but nevertheless. So many stories. Can't wait for the new era to kick off even after all the Infinite reveal fiasco.

Seriously idk what it is but h5 feels so choppy. Like the input is insanely bad compared to games on Mcc. 

42 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

Seriously idk what it is but h5 feels so choppy. Like the input is insanely bad compared to games on Mcc. 

it's the deadzones, coupled with vsync.

Now it takes you 2x longer for h5 to receive the input because of the delay from the vsync and the fact that redicle won't start moving until it reaches the threshold of the deadzone.

Which leads to the most shit response ever.

sorry I keep posting this vid TeamBeyond ... Yo where did the saucey emote go

• Fire (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Reamis25 said:

I don't know about y'all but MCC aiming feels extremely bad input lag wise as well. I play on an OG Xbox One with a great monitor, yet the only games that are even playable to me are CE and H2. The rest feel like dog shit.

I've been trying different monitors, controllers, and Xboxes over the years to solve it but nothing worked. It's amazing how much the Xbox One is terrible with input lag, and these "native deadzones" multiply the problems so much.

I'm very ready to play Infinite on the Series S with better frames hopefully.

The Xbox One was the most expensive streaming stick I ever bought.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Metaphysics said:

I don't know about y'all but MCC aiming feels extremely bad input lag wise as well. I play on an OG Xbox One with a great monitor, yet the only games that are even playable to me is CE and H2. The rest feel like dog shit.

I have been trying different monitors, controllers, and Xboxes over the years to solve it but nothing worked. It's amazing how much the Xbox One is terrible with input lag, and these "native deadzones" multiply the problems so much.

I am very ready to play Infinite on the Series S with better frames hopefully.

Idk I play any Mcc game and the moment I move my stick shit responds. H5 it takes so long and by then I’m dead.

h5 lovers say h5 is most competitive yet it has thee most garbage aiming mechanics of all time

Making Halo's Beam Rifle / Focus Rifle behave like the shock rifle would be awesome. 

The Stinger's alt-fire being able to create hazards combined with the GPMA implementation of the Needler would be pretty sick, too. 

@Boyo Thoughts? 

8 minutes ago, TeeJaY said:

Who even is the sourced tweet? 

Someone who apparently is an anonymous employee. People do stuff like this all the time so high ups don’t know who’s spoiling or talking shit.

hey if it’s true that’s neat.