CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

27 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Anyone else think camo should last until you die?

It's not that strong of a powerup and historically has a very limited duration.

EDIT: I would also entertain the idea of a single OS recharge.

I feel like having a limited time for camo is what forces movement. You potentially strategized to grab it - once you have it if you only have 45 seconds to take advantage of it, a good player won't waste any time. If that time became unlimited now you can do things really slowly, you could crouch all the way to the next power up or a specific position and sit there until the enemy comes by. 

I'd be open for a longer duration, maybe change it so it goes away based on how many shots you give/take, but unlimited seems way too much

• Like (+1) 1

The problem I have is that camo is essentially good for one flank and that's it. That's kind of pathetic for a power item that occupies a decent competitive position on the map.

This is in the context of 4v4, mind you.

7 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

The problem I have is that camo is essentially good for one flank and that's it. That's kind of pathetic for a power item that occupies a decent competitive position on the map.

I'm not sure making it indefinite is a good idea. We could increase its duration and remove the firing penalty, which would be very game changing alone. I'd only think of buffing camo if autos are in play, however.

A much faster transition of turning into camo would be interesting. It would give autos a decent purpose by showing where the enemy is, but also allowing autos to be much weaker (from a damage perspective) compared to H5's autos

Removing the firing penalty probably wouldn't work as camo'd players don't engage aim assist, so it'd be next to impossible to hit them at anything other than close range.

18 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Removing the firing penalty probably wouldn't work as camo'd players don't engage aim assist, so it'd be next to impossible to hit them at anything other than close range.

Thus the autos. Use them to fish them out, and any damage fully reveals them for a second, and grants full aim assist.

1 hour ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Instead of a time limit, you could have a distance traveled limit.  Camo is only good for 200 footsteps.  

EDIT: I would also entertain the idea of a single OS recharge.

Overshield should recharge unless a layer is fully depleted.  

2 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Anyone else think camo should last until you die?

It's not that strong of a powerup and historically has a very limited duration.

Sixty second duration, and you're only fully camo if you're moving. Shimmer camo if you're not moving.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Sixty second duration, and you're only fully camo if you're moving. Shimmer camo if you're not moving.

Why stop at shimmer?  Fully visible if not moving.  

What if camo had a specific number of decloaks? I.E; shooting decloaks it of course, and it lasts for three decloaks. Its duration could be tactically prolonged by essentially shooting at nothing so that they stay decloaked, if the user feels like they'll be fighting someone else again right after one firefight. Because once the user goes fully transparent again, they'll have to burn their next decloak/charge.

Maybe that could be a CE-esque niche of the assault rifle; it quick camos but it can also be used to burst-fire at nothing in particular in order to prolong a decloak/charge.

There would be no time limit. This would essentially be a kind of ammo instead.

This could be OP for CTF but would someone ever not juggle, especially if the flag has significant movement penalty?

How would rotating and fights over an unlimited camo work? Ngl though, it would be kind of cool to have a team with a camo'd player on each. 

I think a 60 second duration is fine, personally. An unlimited camo could have potential issues with snowballing. Not that snowballing is necessarily bad in an AFPS (or diet AFPS). 

If we're set on a permanent-till-death camo, then I think a camo that can be destroyed after it takes a certain amount of damage is a better option. 

What are the various purposes that equipment serve in a BTB / Non-Arena / 32v32 / 6v6 / Asymmetric playlist setting? Feel free to describe any pertinent weapon / map geometry / vehicle / movement / other system that is affected by said piece of equipment. 

Drop Shield: The Bubble Shield discards the spherical shape of its Halo 3 predecessor, and takes on a more flattened parabolic shape (similar to what we saw in the H:I gameplay reveal). Small-arms fire will penetrate through the shield from both directions as if it didn't exist, but slower or larger projectiles (eg: Warthog turret caliber rounds, plasma bolts, grenades, etc) will either be stopped entirely by the shield, or deflected off. The shield is wide enough to cover 4 Spartans standing shoulder to shoulder, and the depth of its curvature is 1 Spartan. Once deployed, it will last for a 10 second period. It spawns on a 45 second static timer. 

In BTB / Invasion / 32v32 / other vehicle heavy gamemodes, this equipment finds sees heavy utility in allowing infantry to challenge vehicles. Ideally speaking, vehicles should be highly important for teams to control in the aforementioned gamemodes. The obvious ways we'd accomplish this is by raising their mobility (through intrinsic and extrinsic means), keeping their overall lethality high, and designing maps on which the pathing and terrain complement the strengths of each vehicle. However, to prevent infantry from getting one-sidedly curbstomped by a vehicle, the drop shield forces the vehicle to re-position and fire, to use explosive weaponry to shell the players from the back, or to retreat. All while it allows the protected players to return fire. This acts in combination with the system I'd proposed a while back, where each vehicle has 4-5 key areas that significantly alter the vehicle's behavior / properties after they take enough fire. Yet, it does not allow players to use it as a cheap means of escape from a firing enemy, because of the shields shape and the inability to stop most human kinetic rounds.

Regenerator: The Regenerator maintains its spherical area of effect from H3, but with a radius that is 1.5x larger. The only effect that the Regen has on human shields, is a severely truncated stun time (the amount of time you need to not take damage before your shield begins to recharge) of 1 second from the default 5.5 seconds, and a 2.5x increase in the shield recharge rate (the rate at which your shield bar fills). In addition, it will completely restore the health of any player who stands in the area of effect at a rate of 1 health bar per 0.2 seconds. If a vehicle on the battlefield has been debilitated in some capacity by critical damage to it's crucial points, it can be repaired fully by this equipment. Depending on what class of vehicle it is, it will take a certain amount of time to repair fully. 

Ideally, we'd also be reverting back to CE / Reach styled non-regenerating health. Not only that, but there'd be significantly more emphasis on health, which would be accomplished by evening out the health : shields ratio. It's kind of embarrassing that Halo masquerades as an AFPS while having completely de-emphasized health. While it's not very practical to have 12 health packs scattered across a map, it's a bit more so (and also efficient) to compress the role of the infantry healer + vehicle repair tool into one. 

EMP: The EMP Cannon has been removed from the equipment list, and occupies the role of a superweapon. A superweapon is a Tier 4 weapon, a class that exclusively spawn in 8v8 and higher player counts. This class of weapon has immense killing and mass-suppressive potential. I'll cover this in greater depth later, but the general idea of the EMP Cannon is that it's got a single shot, and that it's area of effect is ~80% of Valhalla's surface area, and that it wipes out shields, equipment, and vehicles that fall in said area of effect. On a 32v32 Global Slayer game, a group of players can push for this weapon and mass-cripple the enemy team, allowing for their own team to make a huge push. If you want a practical idea of how this'll be, think the EMP stations on each base on the H2A Coagulation remake.    

Thoughts?

Many games have classes that revolve around recon or information gathering. What are some power ups that might work in Halo that focus more on gathering info for your team than aggression / defense? Think radar as a power up, but not as boring.

I don't dare say the "p*** vision" words here, but a one time scan that briefly exposes enemy positions as a power up might be interesting and a counter power up to active camo similar to plasma pistol on a map acting as a counter to overshield.

• Downvote (-1) 1

12 minutes ago, timeforkoalas said:

I don't dare say the "p*** vision" words here, but a one time scan that briefly exposes enemy positions as a power up might be interesting and a counter power up to active camo similar to plasma pistol on a map acting as a counter to overshield.

ElDewrito had that as an equipment. It was a one-time pulse that was active for a couple of seconds and was consumed on use.

Extending Camo would be butts. A little longer yes, but if it was too long people would just grab a snipe and sit at the back all invisible and camp it up.

• Like (+1) 1

Did you know that the inspiration for Camo in Halo CE was Harry Potter’s cloak of invisibility and Radar was based off the Marauder’s Map?  

On 9/17/2020 at 1:38 PM, Cursed Lemon said:

This is where static 60sec timers, 45sec duration, quick camo, not decloaking when nading, and having multiple power ups on the map help.

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

This is where static 60sec timers, 45sec duration, quick camo, not decloaking when nading, and having multiple power ups on the map help.

There's nothing wrong with dynamic powerup timers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 3

13 minutes ago, Knighty Knight said:

Except they suck.

Just learn how to add a minute to the current time, bro.

What is more important in competitive Halo: positioning, map control, and teamwork or the dexterity of your thumbs and a players ability to tap buttons at proper times?

Obviously a combination of both, but which factors are more important seems to be something that 343 and the larger community in general can't decide on.