CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Just now, Shekkles said:

Beta. Will go live with ODST and Firefight whenever that is.

Please keep all discussion related to MCC in the MCC thread.

Thanks,

NavG123

• Like (+1) 3
  • Simms (+1) 3
  • Toxic (+1) 3

3 hours ago, _Synapse said:

The shotgun you've proposed is fairly similar to the one I proposed, though do you think a significantly slower projectile combined with a spread circle half the area of the reticle and a 50% damage buff would work? 

Essentially, a Flak Cannon but with much more potential at range. I'd treat this weapon like a soft-power weapon (tier 2). 

Could it work?  Of course.  At its core, all the Shotgun is is a weapon that, if you point at a nearby player, center mass, and pull the trigger, they die.  Personally, I would make the Shotgun projectiles fast.  It’s supposed to be a power weapon with extremely limited range.  In a game with a crispy strafe, when players are close to you, which is the only range the shotgun is effective, they appear to fly left and right, being difficult to track.  I would rather all players have a crispy strafe and the shotgun’s projectiles travel fast, so the weapon is still effective in its limited range.  

I'm still not really sold by the idea of an explosive alt-fire. My objection is still the same, that it would begin to contest the Brute Shot and the Grenade Launcher. 

The Brute Shot and Grenade Launcher have both been rolled into the alt fires of other weapons.  The Mauler isn’t contesting the Brute Shot.  It is the Brute Shot.  

The traditional weakness of CQC shotgun-like weapons is that they've got a huge delay in between shots, which causes the weapon to require precise shooting or render the user defenseless in between shots. 

The Mauler's alt-fire turns it into an automatic shotgun, bypassing the vulnerability. However, the alt-fire mode will fire continuously until the 6 rounds in the magazine are emptied, and will leave the user unable to switch weapons during the firing process and also during a 1.75 second cooldown animation following the alt-fire mode. In addition, each shot in the alt-fire mode will produce a huge amount of vertical recoil that will need to be adjusted for. 

This allows for the weapon to become an unparalleled threat in extreme CQC. At the same time, it demands tremendous commitment to the weapon and consumes the already scarce ammo of the gun very quickly. 

I try to avoid making a weapon’s alt fire a direct upgrade of its primary fire, like how your alt fire is just primary fire but more rapid firing.  How does a weapon’s alt fire make the player alter his playstyle?  The fire-melee combo for nearby players, the explosive alt fire projectile for players further out or taking cover.  Primary fire wants you to aim center mass while the projectile drop on the alt fire causes the user to adjust his aim upward before firing.  

I'd have the sword and hammer removed from an ideal Arena mode, which may be affecting my view on CQC weapon design. I think that they become very redundant, and that there's not a lot of ways to balance them. Larger gamemodes on bigger maps that have a lot more player x environment interaction, are better suited to make use of these weapons. 

Thoughts? 

You don’t have to place melee weapons on arena maps if you feel like they would be too powerful but the sword and hammer have to be part of the sandbox, they’re too iconic to remove at this point.  I upped the horsepower of both melee weapons.  The sword can activate Speedboost, Lunge, and Thermal Scan (reveals recent enemy footprints).   The hammer can Smash like it always has, blow away incoming grenades with a Gravity Wave, and pull in a nearby objective, causing it to become attached to the weapon and carried like a speedflag.  These abilities make the melee weapons more than just a slasher or a smasher, gives them purpose outside of killing things that are really close to them.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NavG123 said:

Please keep all discussion related to MCC in the MCC thread.

Thanks,

NavG123

tenor.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Simms (+1) 2
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

On 9/13/2020 at 4:19 AM, _Synapse said:

Remember, a delayed 343i game is still going to be a 343i game - just with fewer bugs.

Part of me wants this game to fail, so that the disillusionment actually teaches the Halo playerbase to use more than 5 braincells at any given time. 

Seriously, this is what they deserve for complaining about idiotic shit over legitimate game-breaking issues for the eternity that 343i and Bungie held control of Halo.  

"I don't want to just be miserable all the time about Halo!". Fine then, be as elated as you want while you play with 4K players at peak, while soloQing against a to4 amateurs on smurfs, on 80 ping servers.

If you refuse to hold a game to any standards AND you choose to drown out any other people holding it to a standard, then you deserve a game with no standards. 

Actively wanting the game to fail just to prove a point is a bit smooth brained tbh. Wanting the game to succeed but also not caring if it flops makes more sense. 

• Hooked 1

3 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Actively wanting the game to fail just to prove a point is a bit smooth brained tbh. Wanting the game to succeed but also not caring if it flops makes more sense. 

nah i'd rather it fail too, so they finally move the IP to a studio that can fucking handle it.

how many more games do they have to show that they don't know what they're doing?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Toxic (+1) 1

You guys have to remember that the competitive community is a tiny niche subset of the Halo community. Yes, this infinite situation is a disaster, and yes the HCS situation is god awful too, but I highly doubt Halo as a whole is doing SO BADLY that MS would move the IP to another studio.

4 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Failure is the best teacher.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

You guys have to remember that the competitive community is a tiny niche subset of the Halo community. Yes, this infinite situation is a disaster, and yes the HCS situation is god awful too, but I highly doubt Halo as a whole is doing SO BADLY that MS would move the IP to another studio.

casual is getting hit too. sure they get initial sales but this next game "Halo infinite" is going to be "10 years long"  /s meaning theyre going to rely on MTX. 

WE all know halo has a bad history of retaining population after 343 took the reigns. How is infinite supposed to make them MTX money when there's only 9K people per platform? sick

Yeah I think MS is taking notice.... especially since they dont have a fucking launch title for their hardware. thats a lot of money down the drain

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

I mean they own 343. It would be easy to replace the studio or leave the studio and replace the people inside of it for them. They're not going to just throw away money and at the end of the day you can only under perform so many times before they'll either replace you or pull the plug entirely. They've already shown their hand with moving over senior leadership to attempt to right the course of the game. Next up is quiet replacements and a restructuring of either the management or the people who put that management in place. They didn't become Microsoft by just deciding to fail and do nothing about it. This whole Infinite thing has gone too far for them on top of the MCC stuff. They're tired of Halo being a spectacle for all the wrong reasons otherwise they would've shipped a half working game 

If you're sitting there in charge of their whole gaming division letting Halo look stupid like that would be like Nintendo letting Mario fall by the wayside and hurting the entire brand not just that franchise alone. Someone up there is not happy at all

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

nah the casual community seems to be moving on. player retention in h5 was abysmal no matter what bravo told us. at this point there is nothing unique about halo that makes people come back. unless infinite can deliver something either new or a more classic style done really, really well, then we'll see decent sales followed by a population drop off again

1 hour ago, The Tyco said:

Failure is the best teacher.

Never quote last jedi in my presence again.

Preferring Halo to fail in hopes of a better future is just a bad take. What makes you think Microsoft would give Halo to a new team? As long as Halo sells like hot cakes and gets their money they will run with 343 for the next Halo too. You know there's a good number of people who will buy every single mainline Halo game regardless of what it is just for the story, and an even larger number who will buy every Halo game no matter what.

Then you have the dumb-dumbs who will buy hundreds of dollars in cosmetics just so they can match their friends party or so they can be one of the first to own some exclusive skin.

Even then if Infinite still loses the player retention, doesn't recoop the money in microtransactions off of making the multiplayer free and still give Halo to a new team - then what? You think Halo is going to jump back to CE type gameplay because 343 flopped? I don't have my hopes up. All hoping Infinite failing does is setting yourself up for more misery by a new team.

Do I like current Halo? Not really. I prefer classic Halo. But I'd also prefer that in the years 2021-2023 I can actually play Halo and have fun with it. If Infinite crashes and we don't get another mainline Halo game until - 2024? 2025? I don't even know if I would care for Halo anymore at that point. 

Hoping new Halo fails just so you can have a small bit of hope for a return of a good or classic Halo is honestly sad. I can understand not having hope in 343 but that's completely different.

4 minutes ago, JordanB said:

Then you have the dumb-dumbs who will buy hundreds of dollars in cosmetics just so they can match their friends party or so they can be one of the first to own some exclusive skin.

I fit in this category. Hey man if a game gives out a good ass skin I want it! 

I think the people that are acting like 343 missing the launch date for the Series X isn’t a big deal are delusional. MS has literally nothing to launch their consoles with, the brand image took a major hit. Corporations generally don’t like their subdivisions making them look like clowns.

Technically 343 hasn’t produced anything to cover the cost of their upkeep for almost 5 years. That’s rent, salaries, healthcare cost, electricity, IT, building maintenance, etc all being paid for by MS with the understanding that they’ll see a return on investment. And guess what...343 is late with the “rent”. 

Personally I’m thinking MS might pull an EA/ME Andromeda and put the Halo franchise on hold after infinite’s release. Time will tell and I might be wrong but I guarantee that it’s not sunshine and roses up in Washington. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mr Grim said:

Never quote last jedi in my presence again.

Technically not accredited to The Last Jedi. It's a fairly common phrase. Didn't even remember it was in it til now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Tyco said:

Technically not accredited to The Last Jedi. It's a fairly common phrase. Didn't even remember it was in it til now.

Please keep all discussion related to TLJ in the TLJ thread.

Thanks,

Some Quiet Dude

• Simms (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Stoppabl3 said:

IPersonally I’m thinking MS might pull an EA/ME Andromeda and put the Halo franchise on hold after infinite’s release. Time will tell and I might be wrong but I guarantee that it’s not sunshine and roses up in Washington. 

i dont see MS shelving halo. EA has a rich history of killing games and subsidiaries so them shelving ME is not surprising, but halo still makes money and still have a lot of interest.  more than likely, MS will overhaul 343i, maybe even integrate a studio like creative assembly and try to breathe new life into the series.

and it isnt exactly true that 343 havent given anything back to MS. afaik, mcc pc has done really well in terms of sales

2 hours ago, RatherSilentMr said:

I laughed quite too loud at work at this reaction gif

NavG brings out the best in us.

Damn while troll replying to a twitter thread about Multiplayer brute customization I got to thinking.

Yo infinite needs battle wear like CSGO. Give us battle worn options, field tested armor and gun skins. Shit that is dented and broken in/scraped up, while also giving us brand new options. Factory new armor, factory new weapon skins.

Better than pizza skins. and at least makes fkn sense. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Reamis25 said:

I fit in this category. Hey man if a game gives out a good ass skin I want it! 

I don't think paying $4.99 for a skin in a video game is "giving it out." 

343 honestly hurt me with their H5 weapon skins. I honestly didn't think it could be so much of a letdown for most of the skins lol. I think everyone that suggested them was looking at games like CS where they had really nice and clean skins that were visually appealing. Then 343 hit me with the equivalent to a kid learning about word art lol

12 minutes ago, znot said:

Damn while troll replying to a twitter thread about Multiplayer brute customization I got to thinking.

Yo infinite needs battle wear like CSGO. Give us battle worn options, field tested armor and gun skins. Shit that is dented and broken in/scraped up, while also giving us brand new options. Factory new armor, factory new weapon skins.

I'd be down for that.

13 minutes ago, znot said:

Yea fuck pizza skin.  I love pizza but I don't want it on my weapons lol.  So dumb