CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

44 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Well yeah good artists can usually make something look convincing but, they really shouldn't have to.  And to be honest at the end of the day there's only so much they can do.  Just because I throw a stone texture on a wall doesn't make my map a castle, the actual architecture and shapes and angles and windows and aspect ratios have to all convey that same message.

Blackout is actually kind of a unique example because to be honest nothing about Lockout looks foreunner, it's just random buildings.  Forerunner stuff usually has more religious and grande aspect ratios, think Epitaph.  Or monolithic shapes like Narrows, top mid Guardian. Lockout is just blegh, and Blackout being a human oil-rig thing honestly matches the shapes and location of the map much better than forerunner ever did.  So yeah that's a good example of environment artists doing their job really well, but also the level designers doing a bad job initially. 

The Pit is about as generic as it comes when it comes to the shape language, or defining characteristics of the map - so the choice to make it a human training facility is honestly really smart lmao props to Bungie's art team once again for recognizing what to do with a map that was laid out in the way the Pit was, because if that map was forerunner it would just not be convincing. Seeing how it was forerunner is actually pretty interesting, I'm sure the Art Director at some point stepped in and recognized that the layout just didn't match the theme.

I think most of the artistic character from it probably comes from the color palette being really unique and recognizable,  the yellow/green contrast is pretty stark.  You mess with the colors of The Pit and the map loses all its charm.  Example

halo_3_the_pit_vs__halo_4_pitfall_p2_by_

the pit remake wasnt bad because of color change it was bad because it lacked all the jumps and spots the original had. no more jumping onto the yellow things, no more banana, no more hopping ontop of snipe wall, no more runway ledge. etc. as proof with foundery maps we dont really care how it looks, but does it play well. Pitfall played shitty missing all these features.

idgadamn about their drab color choice but their LACK of research. Funny how they added the MLG jump ups but removed 100% of every other jump.

and also yo how could you even compare h3 to h2 lol. I dont think they even had time to do all that extra shit like they did in h3. H3 forerunner is CRAZYYY. I think h3 is the like epitome of forerunner the final realization. I can see what you mean about the buildings though. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Nokt said:

Uh..

I was a very young lad once, in my adolescence, and my head was full of myopic ideas and life questions. I thought about things like: Will Halo 3 ever come to PC? Will Microsoft give Halo mod support on console like Bethesda with some of their games? What will life after high school be like? Will I get fat in my 20s?

Not once, not even in the deepest corners of my subconscious while dreaming, was I ever curious to see weapon skins in Halo. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PolyG said:

I was a very young lad once, in my adolescence, and my head was full of myopic ideas and questions. I thought about things like: Will newer Halos ever come to PC? Will Microsoft give Halo mod support on console like Bethesda with some of their games? What will life after high school be like? Will I get fat in my 20s?

Not once, not even in the deepest corners of my subconscious while dreaming, was I ever curious to see weapon skins in Halo. 

The skins don't look bad but they're the second-to-last thing anyone's interested in seeing about Infinite

Also what does :hooked: mean

• Hooked 1

Them skins are like the best looking thing from Halo Infinite at the moment and I'm being serious.

• Thonking (+0) 1

Not gonna happen but I seriously hope to god that ugly automatic precision rifle gets removed from the game

Those SCAR-H and Five-Seven ripoffs look so generic it hurts. Also real talk: What niche within the sandbox is a precision auto going to occupy? They're either going to make it strong as fuck "but it spawns on the map brooo" like the vanilla H5 SR/SMG or it's going to be a useless redundant PoS like most of Halo's autos, there's no in between here. Two decades of Halo sandbox development (failures mostly) to look back on and learn from, but no,  343 still can't come up with something meaningful.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Hey guys I got this new powerup that lets you win the game if you pick it up it's balanced because it spawns on the map

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, znot said:

the pit remake wasnt bad because of color change it was bad because it lacked all the jumps and spots the original had. no more jumping onto the yellow things, no more banana, no more hopping ontop of snipe wall, no more runway ledge. etc. as proof with foundery maps we dont really care how it looks, but does it play well. Pitfall played shitty missing all these features.

idgadamn about their drab color choice but their LACK of research. Funny how they added the MLG jump ups but removed 100% of every other jump.

and also yo how could you even compare h3 to h2 lol. I dont think they even had time to do all that extra shit like they did in h3. H3 forerunner is CRAZYYY. I think h3 is the like epitome of forerunner the final realization. I can see what you mean about the buildings though. 

I'm just talking about art here man lol but yes on that note their remake was not given the due diligence it deserved.

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Nokt said:

Uh..

Woah these skins are amazing guys, someone spent a whole 20mins in Substance Painter making them, so much effort...I can't wait to spend my money on them./s :kappa:

• Like (+1) 1

Notice the positioning of the guns. Will we be getting two different weapon starts?

Or will there be a mode where you can pick what weapons to start with?

Guess we'll see...

• Thonking (+0) 1

3 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Notice the positioning of the guns. Will we be getting two different weapon starts?

Guess we'll see...

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

1 hour ago, PolyG said:

I was a very young lad once, in my adolescence, and my head was full of myopic ideas and life questions. I thought about things like: Will Halo 3 ever come to PC? Will Microsoft give Halo mod support on console like Bethesda with some of their games? What will life after high school be like? Will I get fat in my 20s?

I was and I know many were as well growing up. Skins make halo more fun to me and in any game period 

The more I play Halo 2 the more I respect Bungies art team. Very very clever with the time frame and engine capabilities. I'm starting to like Halo 2's art style more than 3's because of its more weathered, war-torn vibe.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

The more I play Halo 2 the more I respect Bungies art team. Very very clever with the time frame and engine capabilities. I'm starting to like Halo 2's art style more than 3's because of its more weathered, war-torn vibe.

you can barely see any of that the textures are so goddamn blurry. the game doesn't even have shadows lol

poorly baked in shadows i can barely see. I have to put effort in to find them

1466_halo-2-vista-shots-2007051201250682

54 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Really? I think graphics wise halo 2 has aged the worst, halo 1 still looks clean and simplistic and halo 3 still holds up 13 years after. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Gold said:

Really? I think graphics wise halo 2 has aged the worst, halo 1 still looks clean and simplistic and halo 3 still holds up 13 years after. 

I'm surprised as well. I thought exactly the same for many, many years. But recently I've been playing and aside from obvious lighting and texture issues, I feel that Halo 2 captures the most of the Halo world compared to all the other games. We get to see a new Halo, two sides of an Earth city, a Covenent City, a Gas Station and more Halo ring but two different areas.

There are some areas, particularly New Mombasa and the underwater areas of Regret, that worldbuild better than any of the other games in the series. Doubling down on this, I find Halo 2 Anniversary (Campaign) to have the best visuals of the entire series. I absolutely love the way they did it.

The New Mombasa they created in Halo 2 has a real sense of scale. I know the game was rushed to hell and there are many issues I have with gameplay, for example the area where you get the Gauss Hog then blast through the gardens into the city centre, I would rather you have to ditch the hog after the waterfall room and get on foot. Then a large squad of marines and you push up that main street that is full of Covenant fortifications and fight you way into the city via a big battle rather than just drive the hog...

... anyway...

I'm sure my opinion will change like it does all the time, but Halo 2's art is really growing on me. I especially like the multiplayer maps and the multiplayer art in general. I love the more dirty look the Spartans have. I feel the maps had a lot of character as well:

Lockout (Abandoned Flood research facility)
Zanzibar (Some power station near the city I spent two missions fighting for),
Burial Mounds (Can see the ruins of Halo 1!) 
Turf (We killed a Scarab!)
Sanctuary (Delta Halo was so pretty and unique, felt awesome to visit those ruins again)

I know Halo 2 gets shit for setting many maps in human cities or nearby, but when I was younger I loved how Mombasa looked. I used to walk around Turf, Headlong and Terminal with my brother split screen just to experience the city more (we didn't have Xbox Live). I wanted to play an entire game set in those cities.

So you can imagine how much I gushed over ODST...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2

2 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Guess we'll see...

Seems like you were right on the money when you mentioned the commando being considered as a potential starting weapon

Why is he calling them "coatings"? Is that bugging anybody else way more than is reasonable?

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/30/2020 at 8:41 PM, znot said:

I mean, level/environment artists are good at their job. Bungie made a forerunner map (lockout) into a UNSC (blackout) map yeah it was bad but it was probably done for balancing (LOS from snipe 1 to BR 1 is pretty controlling).  BUngie could probably do either faction for any level remake. As long as you have the imagination you can make anything work.

it's all about making the art fit either inside the blockout or close enough to it to not change the gameplay

Halo 3 pit was originally going to be forerunner. it was called cyberdyne.

5a449530da81a2adc3d19fdfec564c36.jpg

hell the forerunner textures are still in the files for it.

872cf0507670045008951415770cae93.png

Well I don't base what is good/smart on what bungie does. They've done a lot that I wouldn't, including remakes like blackout.

1 hour ago, Apoll0 said:

Why is he calling them "coatings"? Is that bugging anybody else way more than is reasonable?

Cause that’s just another way of saying skins. Maybe people will have an option to coat guns in colors or designs. Wouldn’t it be sick AF if you could do that? Even if it costed money it be worth it 

4 hours ago, aa_Pregnant_Nun said:

Woah these skins are amazing guys, someone spent a whole 20mins in Substance Painter making them, so much effort...I can't wait to spend my money on them./s :kappa:

I for one, am glad they suck dick as the promotion isn't even available in my country so I know I'm not missing out on anything at least. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PolyG said:

They've been in Halo since 2012..............

ODST, H2A, and Reach for Human aesthetics

latest?cb=20090602004129

Hmccb36.png

latest?cb=20100923115204

CE, H2A, and H3 for Forerunner aesthetics

Dl7aWeIX0AACCtc.jpg

lSJca6xJ4CUsY2eCC1-18QsRmvVc_b6Zx_iGHbtB

halo_2___anniversary___sacred_icon_by_ha

latest?cb=20141118015303

1606505416_dd86b8001b_b.jpg

H2A, H2, and especially Reach for Covenant aesthetics

02r1af6qxa2z.jpg

d30932aea6eba71cc08984903e683ca6.jpg

mwa2gcjxe8q11.png

2br35XC9T_jp31fUPgyT59IHOrf7R8DXcpo0WUyJ

640px-Covenant_Corvette_Bridge.jpg

latest?cb=20100817142233

H3 and CEA for skyboxes

ALujNjScB1MEFHdpPt0InE8jF_cSHDNutzo0EQRs

mike-porter-waste2.jpg?1527109414

mike-porter-waste3.jpg?1527109413

3703887-halo-master-chief-collection-202

maxresdefault.jpg

5504o8dfdkr21.png?auto=webp&s=35fdd8c2b9

a2qhf7qchbu21.png

Halo 3 for everything else, especially the lighting. If there's one thing that Bungie did absolutely brilliantly in H3, it's the lighting. The game is still jaw-droppingly pretty in 2020. 

EW3qjfZXQAEEoKF.jpg

• Like (+1) 5
  • Upvote (+1) 2

2 hours ago, _Synapse said:

ODST, H2A, and Reach for Human aesthetics

Absolutely. 343's human aesthetic is generic Star Trek trash.

CE, H2A, and H3 for Forerunner aesthetics

Basically "not 343 Halo" lol.

H2A, H2, and especially Reach for Covenant aesthetics

The cockpit on the Covenant Corvette in Reach was super duper pretty. Also High Charity as a whole.

H3 and CEA for skyboxes

Disagree here. Halo 3 and Reach, with a focus on Reach. Reach has some of the best skyboxes of any game, let alone Halo imo. H2A has some bangers as well. I think the best skybox in the entire series is in the final level of Halo 3 though, seeing the entire Ark above you.

Halo 3 for everything else, especially the lighting. If there's one thing that Bungie did absolutely brilliantly in H3, it's the lighting. The game is still jaw-droppingly pretty in 2020. 

Whoever was in charge of the lighting for Halo 3 absolutely nailed it. My only issue with Halo 3 is everything looks pristine. As a whole it's wonderful but I feel the grittiness in Halo 1/2 is missing. That and there being a surprising amount of Brown for such a nice colour palette. Crows Nest, Tsavo Highway, The Storm, Floodgate, The Ark and Cortana are all brown brown brown. Only Sierra 117, The Covenant and Halo have any colour variation (and look god damn nice).

I know this is coming from someone who praised Mombasa in halo 2, which is extremely brown, but Halo 3's bright and poppy aesthetic doesn't match brown. When the game moves away from brown (Guardian, Narrows, The Covenant, The Pit etc.) it looks god damn good. Halo 2's gritty war-torn earth suits brown.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1