CyReN

Halo Infinite Discussion

Working Around the Two Weapon Limit 

Alternate firemodes give one weapon multiple attacks, eg Plasma Pistol, Light Rifle, Grenade Launcher.  

Equipment can be used offensively, eg Power Drain, Flamethrower, Missile Pod.  

The Sidearm system gives the player access to a secondary weapon pool.  Right on the D-pad cycles through the player’s available sidearms.  Holding Y equips the selected sidearm.  Sidearms consist of the Magnum, Energy Sword, SAW, and Power Glove.  

The Magnum is the all purpose poker.  It shoots straight and even has a scope to increase its effective range.  

The Energy Sword is the more lethal, close range poker.  In addition to lunging, the user can activate a Speed Boost with LT and a Thermal Scan with X that reveals recent enemy footprints.  Where the Magnum promotes general purpose soldier-ing, the sword encourages a more ninja-like playstyle.   

The SAW is a remotely controlled vehicle-hunter vehicle that splatters whatever it touches.  It begins as a hand weapon that the user deploys with RT, henceforth behaving as a ground vehicle that is perpetually rolling forward.  RT and LT steer the spiked wheel right and left.  RT+LT boosts.  X toggles between player view and vehicle view.  

The SAW allows the player to use one “projectile” over and over again.  It allows the player to interact with things that are not visible to his player model.  The player can use this remotely controlled vehicle to enforce his will across the entire map.  

The Power Glove is essentially The Force.  It can pull in aerial vehicles with RT.  LT picks up and drops a nearby object without touching it.  While “holding” an object, X rotates it and RT launches it forward.  It can be used as a weapon but the Power Glove is more about giving the player the ability to manipulate his environment, change things as he sees fit.  

An added benefit of the Sidearm system is that when players spawn with a Magnum as their starting weapon in Arena gametypes, they can still pick up two on-map weapons and their utility is only holstered, not dropped.  

On 8/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, Sitri said:

Ground Pound. I believe that delay went away when it was disabled.

I still remember there being a melee delay though? 

• Like (+1) 1

It's funny to think that Mercy was a remake of a Forerunner map. Just goes to show how generic the shapes really are, that it was changed to a sangheili theme. Either that - or the artstyles themselves are that generic. Or both... yeah it's both.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Xandrith said:

It's funny to think that Mercy was a remake of a Forerunner map. Just goes to show how generic the shapes really are, that it was changed to a sangheili theme. Either that - or the artstyles themselves are that generic. Or both... yeah it's both.

I preferred the four runner look that haven was. I always wondered why we didn’t use that map though it played great still 

• Like (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

6 minutes ago, Reamis25 said:

I preferred the four runner look that haven was. I always wondered why we didn’t use that map though it played great still 

It's just a boring-ass map—literally two rings stacked on top of each other. Nothing bad per se, but nothing interesting either.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Xandrith said:

I mean, level/environment artists are good at their job. Bungie made a forerunner map (lockout) into a UNSC (blackout) map yeah it was bad but it was probably done for balancing (LOS from snipe 1 to BR 1 is pretty controlling).  BUngie could probably do either faction for any level remake. As long as you have the imagination you can make anything work.

it's all about making the art fit either inside the blockout or close enough to it to not change the gameplay

Halo 3 pit was originally going to be forerunner. it was called cyberdyne.

5a449530da81a2adc3d19fdfec564c36.jpg

hell the forerunner textures are still in the files for it.

872cf0507670045008951415770cae93.png

• Like (+1) 1

@Hard Way i actually like 343s four runner design because it looks like something extremely advanced. The bungee design was more ancient magic looking, than futuristic. 

Competent map designers: We need a comprehensive kit to create interesting play spaces

343: haha right angles go brrrrrr

• Like (+1) 3

Haven feels like worse-Zealot. No power position. Feels like you’re running on a track. Map control means little compared to most maps. But Haven is worse because of how chopped up the LoS is. It’s always felt way too segmented to me, like it’s too difficult for parts of the map to interact with other parts. It makes for really boring gameplay.

And Mercy is waaaay better looking than Haven.

• Like (+1) 1

Thank you Multilockon for bringing up the block out shit, I used to always wonder why a lot of the maps felt samey beyond just their textures and that plaza example really stuck with me

Only bungie game I remember being that simplistic is H1 where you had Hardy learning 3ds as he was making the game lol. I hope Infinite has more unique designs and angles rather than the 90 degree stuff

This video gives a similar perspective for Valorant

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

Haven feels like worse-Zealot. No power position. Feels like you’re running on a track. Map control means little compared to most maps. But Haven is worse because of how chopped up the LoS is. It’s always felt way too segmented to me, like it’s too difficult for parts of the map to interact with other parts. It makes for really boring gameplay.

And Mercy is waaaay better looking than Haven.

it looks better but it also doesn't look halo to me. Looks more like Gears of War IMO. Which isn't bad because "what is Halo?" jk. I know what halo is, and that's a WEIRD covenant architecture but maybe you could make some lore arguments. I don't know. I just want the real covenant art style back instead of the weird organic BUG shell like covenant designs we get now.

like wtf is even this

26f89a1db120f47707c5608c3ac28ae6.jpg

• Like (+1) 6

Oh man I like simple geometries from Halo 1.  I like the simplistic arena style of Halo 1 maps above all the other Halo games.  

H5 just added all kinds of clutter on top of that and that's why the maps suck, along with the movement abilities breaking any good map. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 2

this is off topic, but with infinite delayed and still no word on price or release date for series x or ps5, do you guys think this console generation might be delayed as well?

2 minutes ago, Craneteam said:

this is off topic, but with infinite delayed and still no word on price or release date for series x or ps5, do you guys think this console generation might be delayed as well?

No, they’ll just release a special edition Halo console in two years.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Craneteam said:

no

10 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Uh..

I guess those are the core human weapons?

I bet they had a contract with monster to advertise monster themed skins by a certain date and that's why they are showing it off even though the delay. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Uh..

Comes off as tone-deaf to me but if there’s people who get excited about this kind of stuff, may as well give it to them.  

40 minutes ago, RatherSilentMr said:

I guess those are the core human weapons?

I bet they had a contract with monster to advertise monster themed skins by a certain date and that's why they are showing it off even though the delay. 

Oh they definitely do, the website redeem codes went up last month and the cans say the codes are good until like 12/31 or some shit.

343 really fucked up

yep...

Redeem by 12/31 LMFAO, looks like they took down the site in the meantime, I cant load it. https://halo.monsterenergy.com/

fekl57jrpug51.jpg?width=4312&format=pjpg

• Like (+1) 3

You just know they're gonna have that skin in every single color along side 100s of other skins, that is gonna be  their money maker.

29 minutes ago, xSociety said:

You just know they're gonna have that skin in every single color along side 100s of other skins, that is gonna be  their money maker.

This game is going to look like Halo Online in 6 months time. 

ec2d82c2aa43bc9a0636cb2711de1950.jpg

28a27f876f5b90ffffe4def6034dcf25.jpg

hahaha

whoa also just found out that Halo infinite gun from the Gameplay demo was in Halo online cuh /s

• Like (+1) 1

Skins are ok, not the best but hey the mutliplayer is free so complaining about skins or cosmetics is a waste of time. They're coming

XSX will 100000% not get delayed. Phil said months ago (maybe was hinting to us) that even if Halo were to be delayed the XSX would not be. PS5 sure as hell won't be and Microsoft does not want to fall behind (even though they will as far as console sales are concerned).

18 hours ago, znot said:

I mean, level/environment artists are good at their job. Bungie made a forerunner map (lockout) into a UNSC (blackout) map yeah it was bad but it was probably done for balancing (LOS from snipe 1 to BR 1 is pretty controlling).  BUngie could probably do either faction for any level remake. As long as you have the imagination you can make anything work.

it's all about making the art fit either inside the blockout or close enough to it to not change the gameplay

Halo 3 pit was originally going to be forerunner. it was called cyberdyne.

5a449530da81a2adc3d19fdfec564c36.jpg

hell the forerunner textures are still in the files for it.

872cf0507670045008951415770cae93.png

Well yeah good artists can usually make something look convincing but, they really shouldn't have to.  And to be honest at the end of the day there's only so much they can do.  Just because I throw a stone texture on a wall doesn't make my map a castle, the actual architecture and shapes and angles and windows and aspect ratios have to all convey that same message.

Blackout is actually kind of a unique example because to be honest nothing about Lockout looks foreunner, it's just random buildings.  Forerunner stuff usually has more religious and grande aspect ratios, think Epitaph.  Or monolithic shapes like Narrows, top mid Guardian. Lockout is just blegh, and Blackout being a human oil-rig thing honestly matches the shapes and location of the map much better than forerunner ever did.  So yeah that's a good example of environment artists doing their job really well, but also the level designers doing a bad job initially. 

The Pit is about as generic as it comes when it comes to the shape language, or defining characteristics of the map - so the choice to make it a human training facility is honestly really smart lmao props to Bungie's art team once again for recognizing what to do with a map that was laid out in the way the Pit was, because if that map was forerunner it would just not be convincing. Seeing how it was forerunner is actually pretty interesting, I'm sure the Art Director at some point stepped in and recognized that the layout just didn't match the theme.

I think most of the artistic character from it probably comes from the color palette being really unique and recognizable,  the yellow/green contrast is pretty stark.  You mess with the colors of The Pit and the map loses all its charm.  Example

halo_3_the_pit_vs__halo_4_pitfall_p2_by_

• Like (+1) 5